• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I was under the impression even if you had 5000000 coins you couldn't get more than a 5% discount off a game.

At that point the coins are literally worthless if even saving them up doesn't amount to anything meaningful. I wouldn't even bother to click the redeem coins option in the os.
Sorry, I think I understood you wrong ;) Ok, you can only spend a specific amount on each game like 5%. That's sad, but in the end you can spend the remaining money on other games. You are just not able to spend all your credits on one game. But as said, your credits won't go away for one year and you are able to spend your remaining credits on other games. In the end you will loose nothing ;)

Deleted member 62

You can use as many points on a single purchase as you want. If you have 1000 gold points, you can use all of those points to get a game that would otherwise cost 10€/$.

Oct 25, 2017
You can use as many points on a single purchase as you want. If you have 1000 gold points, you can use all of those points to get a game that would otherwise cost 10€/$.
That's probably the best part. Even Best Buy has you wait until you have 250 points to redeem a single $5 reward.
Also should mean one should never have points expiring?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
What was laid out in the article is that you get 5% of the purchase price back. That's all I was ever "yelling at you" about, because your post was confusing others into thinking they would be getting less than 1% cash back for digital purchases.

The actual points are meaningless. They never mattered. We've been using 100 points = $1 because that's how what the current system would be, and since Nintendo hasn't announced that there will be any changes to that system, it makes sense to continue using that baseline until it possibly changes.

All they announced is that we'll get 5% cash back. That's all the matters. You posted misinformation that confused people. Then doubled down on it and feigned ignorance. The information is literally right there in the news release.
For your information, I went back to my original post and hid it with an addition of an explanation to help further prevent people from misreading the point of the post. Nothing there was intentionally misleading information, but I'm sorry that people gleamed the wrong impression from it.

That said, you've been telling me for many posts that 100 points = $1 like it's a fact that was announced and that I'm too stupid to understand that 5% means 100 points = $1 when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned in the announcement. By that logic, the new system would've currently netted us 6000 gold points for a $60 game, but we'll get 300 instead.

In fact, the linked NOJ article above actually lays out actual detailed information on this stuff in a way that NOA and NOE are too vague about, so now I'm annoyed that they couldn't do the same thing. It sounds like they're essentially bringing back the old Deluxe Premium loyalty stuff they did with the Wii U, where you got a prorated amount of points based on how much you spent on each game for that one platform (10% on Wii U versus 5% on Switch), but it might be more limited if you have to use it on specific Switch games or DLC. Maybe they'll allow purchase of eShop credit codes like the Wii U program.

There is an interesting in the NOJ announcement (let me know if I'm misreading things here):

NOJ Announcement translated by Google Chrome auto-translation, so excuse any translation errors, please
Where can I use it?
It can be used for shopping at Nintendo Switch 's Nintendo e - shop or on the Nintendo website .

Please note that it can not be used at my Nintendo store or Nintendo part sale!
So we cannot use these new gold points on the My Nintendo site (or the NIntendo accessory/console store if I'm guessing the meaning of that last part)? That's a big change.

Deleted member 62

Why don't you read the official announcement? It answers all questions:

Starting in early March, Gold Points can be used for digital purchases on Nintendo Switch!
Whenever you get a new game, you earn Gold Points worth up to 5% of what you paid. Spend those points on your next digital purchase of any Nintendo Switch game to get it for less...or even for free!

How do I use Gold Points?
You can spend your Gold Points on Nintendo eShop or the Nintendo website when you purchase games or other contents for Nintendo Switch.

1 Gold Point = 1 cent (EUR)

How do I earn Gold Points?
Gold Points are earned with every new game you purchase. How many you get depends on whether you purchased a game digitally, or have it on a game card.

You can earn Gold Points worth the following percentage of the price on Nintendo eShop:

Downloads: 5%
  • Nintendo Switch games and DLC on Nintendo eShop: 5% of the total paid amount
  • Nintendo 3DS games and Wii U games on Nintendo eShop: 5% of the total paid amount
  • Download codes: 5% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of the same content

Game Cards: 1%

• Nintendo Switch game: 1% of the undiscounted Nintendo eShop price of that game

For example...
If you pay €50 for a game on Nintendo eShop, you'll receive 250 Gold Points.
Next time, you'll be able to use those points and save €2.50.

Gold Points are valid for 12 months from when they are earned, and always expire at the end of a month.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about achievements but I wouldn't mind if Nintendo added like 4 main achievements to each game that awards you 25 - 100 gold coins

Not 50 achievements like a lot of games have I hate those, but Mario odyssey's 4 achievements for example could be

Finish first world - 25 gold
Finish the story - 50 gold
Finish darker side of moon - 75 gold
Collect all moons - 100 gold

And it would keep a record of the total gold coins you have collected even after you spend them just for your profile

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For your information, I went back to my original post and hid it with an addition of an explanation to help further prevent people from misreading the point of the post. Nothing there was intentionally misleading information, but I'm sorry that people gleamed the wrong impression from it.

That said, you've been telling me for many posts that 100 points = $1 like it's a fact that was announced and that I'm too stupid to understand that 5% means 100 points = $1 when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned in the announcement. By that logic, the new system would've currently netted us 6000 gold points for a $60 game, but we'll get 300 instead.

No I haven't. Re-read our interactions.

You were saying 5% of 60 points is 3 points. I was correcting you by saying that it's not 5% of 60 points, it's 5% of the purchase price. At current points/coin value that means 300 points. That's all I've ever said, and you've been fighting me on it tooth and nail for pages.

You were dead wrong, just accept it and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about achievements but I wouldn't mind if Nintendo added like 4 main achievements to each game that awards you 25 - 100 gold coins

Not 50 achievements like a lot of games have I hate those, but Mario odyssey's 4 achievements for example could be

And it would keep a record of the total gold coins you have collected even after you spend them just for your profile
MyNintendo has Platinum coins which is likely closer to what you're thinking. Maybe if you 100% a game you get some gold coins as a reward

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MyNintendo has Platinum coins which is likely closer to what you're thinking. Maybe if you 100% a game you get some gold coins as a reward
Yea I know about those from the phone apps, talking about how I would like it done on switch though

The switch plat coins could just be 50 coins for going to the switch eshop once a week or something

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
so it was better to spend all these gold coins in 3DS themes then. at least a theme was like $2 and costed 20 coins. 10 times better than this crap.

also, i can stay physical comfortably.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think a good idea would be to not give the person gold coins for buying the game, instead take those 300 gold coins and give them as a reward for finishing the game

Or they could do both, but that would probably be too generous

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
You know, this is actually a fantastic way to keep the indie scene even healthier. Which I think is fantastic.

Think about this, an all digital owner comes in. Lets say on average, they buy about 3 games a year(which is really reasonable). They get about $9 of credit a year. No, not at all enough to get a $60 Nintendo or AAA third party.... But very much enough for getting an indie game, especially if it is on sale. This will actually promote, and give even more sales to indie games. Which I think is great.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
You know, this is actually a fantastic way to keep the indie scene even healthier. *snip* This will actually promote, and give even more sales to indie games. Which I think is great.

Yeah, I think once my balance gets to about 3-4 dollars, this is about the time I'll got ''hey, I could buy that indie I've been eyeing for a while''. It could tip the scale if you will.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of annoyed that they're raising the % of coin rewards after I've already bought like ~40 games, but oh well. I have like $10 off now, which is better than nothing.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where do I see how many coins I have, if any? I've bought Zelda, Mario and Mario rabbids digitally on Switch but don't remember seeing anything about gold coins along the way.

Oct 25, 2017
Doing some rough math, if this was live since launch I would've earned/saved $30 which is neat. Would've paid for like 2 high quality indie games.
Where do I see how many coins I have, if any? I've bought Zelda, Mario and Mario rabbids digitally on Switch but don't remember seeing anything about gold coins along the way.
On MyNintendo. Go to My.Nintendo.com and sign in, I think

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wow, went ahead and spent my coins on whatever a few weeks ago. Figured they were just gonna expire, so why not? Now, I have 48 Gold Coins worth a whopping 48 cents. Whoopee... and on top of that, they're raising the amount of coins everyone gets in March, while we early adopters are stuck with less coins, even though we spent just as much money as new peeps will in a few months, and are one of the main reasons the Switch is currently a success, and has such great word of mouth? Wow, thanks Nintendo...They handled this whole thing in the worst way possible, Imo.

Oct 25, 2017
So basically 10 retail titles on the eShop= 1 indie game for a reward. Nintendo needs to try harder. I get FAR more value in rewards out of my PSN account in a single month (which breaks down to about $4.90).
...no? $3x10 is $30. Don't think there are many eShop games at that price.
You'd probably need 3-4 games to a $10 eShop game.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
The real bummer here is that I got a lot of games through the eShop this year, but that only amounts to 720 gold points (7,20€...) while they would've been a lot more with the new percentages.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Its frustrating...they already have discounts you can purchase for the other platforms that are like 30%...i guess i somehow set my expectations too high in that they would offer something like this for the Switch

lol one step at a time...

it would be nice if they added trophies/achievements in general. Then we can talk about adding some value to those.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys I must be out of the loop. How do you get gold coins? I bought all my games digital on my switch. Am i supposed to have some coins?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have enough to get half off a pinball table in Pinball FX3.

And that's from buying xenoblade 2, Lego MSH2, Lego Worlds and Puyo Puyo Tetris