• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
this is a stealth "recommend me ongoing shows" thread
came up in the Succession OT, but Succession is the best ongoing show on television right?

I would say the only great ongoing shows now are: Succession, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Better Call Saul, Billions, and Mindhunters.

We got a dozen streaming services, but its looking like were seeing less options...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Expanse
The Good Place
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Stranger Things

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are missing about 2 dozen great tv shows.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
Barry
The Righteous Gemstones
Atlanta

EDIT:
The Boys, Kidding, and Fleabag now that I think of it

Last edited:

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
The Deuce
On Becoming a God in Central Florida (still early but all gold so far)
Lodge 49

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
on the contrary its picking up with all the streaming services investing more money in shows.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like we're in the buffet age now, there's a ton of great stuff out there but there's so much of it that it's impossible to watch all the "great" shows.

It's like every .com out there has 50 different shows ordered. Years from now I do feel like the golden age will be seen as being over around this time and that a new one begin.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
anyone else get the feeling that the Watchmen show won't be too hot on ratings? I know it looks good, but is there any buzz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
this is a stealth "recommend me ongoing shows" thread
came up in the Succession OT, but Succession is the best ongoing show on television right?

I would say the only great ongoing shows now are: Succession, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Better Call Saul, Billions, and Mindhunters.

We got a dozen streaming services, but its looking like were seeing less options...

The Expanse. The Last Kingdom. Peaky Blinders. The Expanse and Last Kingdom past seasons were their best (season 3)

Dark Crystal knocked it out of the park as well.

The Boys has been great as well.

Also while Carnival Row isn't as good as these shows, the production values and world building should definitely has merit.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
This.

And Succession isn't just part of the golden age of television but actively gunning for one of the best television series of all time
im gonna need at least one more season to opine on that, but if it keeps going like this then yea, it'll be there with Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking Bad and the Sopranos

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Mr Robot and Better Call Saul are two all time greats about to have new seasons soon.

GLOW, Dark Crystal, and The Deuce were/are great and ongoing. Mindhunters was decent, too. Stranger Things is still ongoing I suppose, and that should probably get a mention.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On Becoming a God in Central Florida is probably the best new show of the year (if you don't count miniseries like Chernobyl)

Oct 27, 2017
Hardly, there's more than ever to choose from. The Terror, The Boys, Righteous Gemstones, GLOW, just to name a few. There's never been more choice in terms of high quality TV.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
All this recent talk of Succession is making me think it's season 2 that is great? Cause I tried watching the show earlier this year and dropped it after the first 3 episodes.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
This.

And Succession isn't just part of the golden age of television but actively gunning for one of the best television series of all time
Fuck yes it is!!! No show has made me laugh or have an anxiety attack or cringe my ass off like succession has.

Also for a recommendation definitely watch Euphoria!! This is a fantastic show about teenage life in this day an age. Where it really stands out is the directing and editing is fucking insane!!!!

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
All this recent talk of Succession is making me think it's season 2 that is great? Cause I tried watching the show earlier this year and dropped it after the first 3 episodes.
Get back to it if you can and episode 5 of season 1 is where it goes from great to fucking phenomenal and it doesn't let up after that specially this new season which has been one of my favorite seasons of any show, next to the wires season 2 and 4. If you don't like it after that episode though then it sadly might not be for you

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Succession
Atlanta
The Expanse
Killing Eve
Better Call Saul
The Last Kingdom
Sharp Objects
Mr. Robot

Doesn't quite hit the Golden-Age peak, but there are tons of incredible series going right now and a lot of them are still trending in upward.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
There's a ton of great shows but it does feel like its shifted to target a younger audience, which is normal and great but does have me less interested in a lot of newer shows. Russian Dolls for example, i watched 20 minutes and hated the characters and quit. I know a lot of younger people really like and recommend the show but the main character was nails on chalk for me. Euphoria is another example, no way I'm gonna watch that having kids but if I was 20 years younger it would probably have been a show I would have felt written "for me".

For me the great age was when Black Sails, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Veep, etc were all on. Thats kinda passed now, and while I love The Expanse, BCS, Mindhunters, Good Place, etc they all feel separated out a lot more and there isn't that one night where 3-4 shows of insane depth and quality all air at once.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Doom Patrol deserves more recognition, seriously it's one of the most off the wall crazy shows but it works so damn well.

Also it's been off for a few years now, but more people need to watch Rectify, that show was truly one of the best but seems like hardly anyone watched it. It's about a guy who gets released from death row for a crime that he "may" or "may not" have done, he was put in when he was a teen and was in for almost 20 years, which greatly affected him and his life. It's such a wonderful and heartbreaking show and the lead guy (Aden Young) is just amazing. It was created by Ray McKinnon, which some of you probably know him as the Reverend in Deadwood.

Also:
On Becoming a God in Central Flordia (Honestly more people need to know about this show, it's great so far, seriously give it a chance)
The Deuce
Dark Crystal (Hands down one of the best fantasy series in years)
True Detective (Season 3 was a big step up from 2)
The Umbrella Academy
Marianne (honestly one of the BEST horror shows, just came out netflix last week)
The Expanse (Plenty of people recommended it already but honestly it's just a damn good sci fi show and the attention to detail is insane)
The Tick also deserves some love, it handled the blend of a Superhero and comedy so well, so sad it got cancelled after two seasons)
Santa Clarita Diet (It really bums me out it got canned after 3 seasons but I'm glad to have gotten those, it was the BEST comedy that Netflix had imo, give it a few eps to get going and see for yourself, S2 is even better then 1).
Mr. Robot
Better Call Saul (actually think the writing might be better then Breaking Bad imo, at least in some parts)

Last edited: