• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
However, this situation just recently became a bit less complicated. Typically, certain customs copyrights, those used to sell products across the world, have a lifetime of 20 years. Now, Nintendo would have needed to file this copyright in order to be able to sell copies of GoldenEye 007 around the world. It takes time for these copyrights to take hold, but once the process is started having a pending copyright is usually enough to begin production and sale of a game. In this case Nintendo filed for their copyright before the game's release on August 25th 1997, however according to this copyrights record, its effective date began on December 10, 1997, which was exactly 20 years ago as of yesterday, meaning Nintendo no longer has a custom copyright on the N64 version or GoldenEye 007.

https://www.thezeroreview.com/newsitorial/goldeneye-007s-ip-just-became-lot-less-complicated/

Trying not to get my hopes up but we'll have to see if anything happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Just saw this as well. Not sure how copyrights work exactly, but I do hope this makes it easier for ms (since they own rare) to remaster/ remake/ rerelease the game. Them the X1 will literally be the best current gen console to play classic games.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a remake of this game. Have so many great memories with this game.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
How comprehensive would Nintendo's copyright have been, and what exactly would it have covered? Would it be the original code, or at least just aspects of the original code (presumably it wouldn't cover stuff like the Bond theme, or Pierce Brosnan's face), or would it be wider than that? Level layouts perhaps, although they were somewhat based on actual locations from the movie. Other aspects of the game design?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark was better :P

But yeah it's cool that the situation became less complicated, still don't know why that remake was even worked on without knowing if they could release it

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
And while some follow-up sequels like GoldenEye 007 Reloaded and GoldenEye Rogue Agent tried to recapture the love many have for this classic (and failed)

Just saying, GoldenEye for the Wii was respectably good. It had a very active online community for well over two years after release (and I think some people still play it to this day, bizarrely).

LiegeWaffle

Oct 27, 2017
I am confused by how this is relevant. Customs copyright records are merely records companies can file with CBP to protect against bootlegs of their works being imported. The actual copyright is presumably still owned by Nintendo/Rare/whoever and probably expires 95 years after publication, as a work of corporate authorship.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Nintendo would still likely hold other copyright, at least in the USA. Mickey Mouse laws are fun.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool to see Nintendo and Microsoft team up to release an HD remake on the Switch and One with crossplay.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool to see Nintendo and Microsoft team up to release an HD remake on the Switch and One with crossplay.

This is my dream. I would have bought it on the Wii and 360 back when the remake first got made and I'll do it now again. A portable HD switch version would be a dream and cross-compat with an XB1 version would be wonderful. It was in Nintendo's hands to make it happen before and now it's in Microsoft's hands. Hopefully Microsoft can make it happen

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm more surprised, given the success of Goldeneye back in the day and the continued interest in the game and it's play style, that whoever holds the 007 IP hasn't gone on to continue with the formula. There are currently 24 mainline James Bond films, and there's definitely the material for many FPS games. 007 Legends, despite being a lousy game and being poorly thought out, had a decent idea in mining the older films for content and inspiration.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more surprised, given the success of Goldeneye back in the day and the continued interest in the game and it's play style, that whoever holds the 007 IP hasn't gone on to continue with the formula. There are currently 24 mainline James Bond films, and there's definitely the material for many FPS games. 007 Legends, despite being a lousy game and being poorly thought out, had a decent idea in mining the older films for content and inspiration.
And MS are just sat on the Perfect Dark ip, not doing anything with it.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

This is the best thing that could possibly happen! And since Nintendo and Microsoft have recently both taken pretty sharp turns towards trying to please customers more, not entirely impossible. But who am I kidding, it's not gonna happen.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

They tried. Nintendo even tried making a Goldeneye sequel based on IIRC Thunderball but by that time Goldeneye had turned Bond into a legitimate top tier video game IP so EA outbid them for the rights. EA and Activision (who got the rights after them) drive the appeal into the ground by releasing a series of middling games. Seems like it'd be ripe for a reboot of the right developer/publisher got its hands on it.

Oct 27, 2017
My dream is a Goldeneye HD redux with 4 player local and 8 player online on Xbox and Switch, cross platform online. Four player split screen even on Switch tablet mode.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This news makes me happy. Goldeneye was a masterpiece. Probably my most played game. I would love a HD remake with online play. It sold very well too so I hope somebody still cares enough to make it happen.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They tried. Nintendo even tried making a Goldeneye sequel based on IIRC Thunderball but by that time Goldeneye had turned Bond into a legitimate top tier video game IP so EA outbid them for the rights. EA and Activision (who got the rights after them) drive the appeal into the ground by releasing a series of middling games. Seems like it'd be ripe for a reboot of the right developer/publisher got its hands on it.
The IP rights are seemingly in flux since Activision has backed away from it, so it'd be interesting to see a developer pick up those rights and go back to Goldeneye's style. For what it's worth, I think Thunderball would've been a solid choice for a follow-up to Goldeneye back in the late 90s / early 2000s, and I still think it's a film that lends itself well to being transformed into an FPS.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
As relevant as it was during its own time, it's definitely a lightning-in-a-bottle situation.

Like the other 2 GoldenEye sequels, it would likely end up being a James Bond shooter that would have to stand on its own merits, and be a competent game.
Making an FPS that stands out would actually take some effort. Not just the cheap cash-in that this would be all too tempting to be.

If it were to be just a port of the N64 game, even cleaned up a bit, it still just might be a reminder of how far FPS games have come, and how primitive that game is

In other words, I think this would be a very difficult project to do well on.

I nominate Machinegames to make it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS should absolutely release this (via Rare) on Switch and Xbox with cross play. Money for all.

ninecubed

Oct 27, 2017
Recently went back and tried to play this game again; it's shocking how unplayable it felt to me. The whole aiming system at the time made sense, but after the introduction of twin-stick FPS, it renders this nearly impossible to enjoy from a control standpoint.

Still one of my all time favorites, and mind-blowing that most of the development staff had never worked on a big game before.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't Nintendo still own things like the code and design?

Technically yes, but they were fine with letting Rare take all their work on non-Nintendo franchises to Microsoft (hence the XBLA remasters of the Banjo Kazooie games and Perfect Dark), so I've always found it strange that Nintendo would draw a red line under Goldeneye, since it's not even one of their franchises. It always made much more sense to me that Activision was the sticking point for an N64 Goldeneye re-release, what with them having the 007 licence at the time and having their own full Goldeneye remake in development.

Though I think at this point it's less about licensing issues and more about no publisher giving a shit about making Bond games any more. The license hasn't been a hot video game property for years (arguably its cachet pretty much began and ended with Goldeneye), and 007 Legends was just franchise-killingly dire.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum of Solace was a pretty good game from what i remember and so was Bloodstone, no idea about legends tho because i never got round to buying it

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Quantum of Solace was a pretty good game from what i remember and so was Bloodstone, no idea about legends tho because i never got round to buying it
Legends was a poor CoD clone that randomly butchered previous films in the franchise with little care behind them. The idea of dipping into the past for content was great, but the execution was horribly lacking in vision.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Technically yes, but they were fine with letting Rare take all their work on non-Nintendo franchises to Microsoft (hence the XBLA remasters of the Banjo Kazooie games and Perfect Dark), so I've always found it strange that Nintendo would draw a red line under Goldeneye, since it's not even one of their franchises. It always made much more sense to me that Activision was the sticking point for an N64 Goldeneye re-release, what with them having the 007 licence at the time and having their own full Goldeneye remake in development.

Though I think at this point it's less about licensing issues and more about no publisher giving a shit about making Bond games any more. The license hasn't been a hot video game property for years (arguably its cachet pretty much began and ended with Goldeneye), and 007 Legends was just franchise-killingly dire.
Wasn't the story that Nintendo wanted to publish VC versions of the MS owned Rare N64 games in exchange for granting MS permission to do the remake, and both parties were initially happy with that, but then later on Nintendo pulled out.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I, for one, would never even dream of wanting a remaster of Goldeneye. By now people should've realised that, while the game was fun during it's heydey, it's a needlessly clunky FPS by any standard. Even back then PC had games like Quake which were simply eons ahead of anything that Goldeneye did. And the game even got a sequel and a remake already, so I seriously see no value in yet another attempted revival of Goldeneye.

Also, the 007 franchise deserves a 3rd person stealth-oriented entry. Or at least a shooter that actually tries to capture the feel of the movies (such as Everything or Nothing on the PS2).
Yes, didn't possess a Wii. So this did fly over my head.

The remake got an HD makeover for 360/PS3 as well.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the story that Nintendo wanted to publish VC versions of the MS owned Rare N64 games in exchange for granting MS permission to do the remake, and both parties were initially happy with that, but then later on Nintendo pulled out.

That was the story. But I still think Activision's Goldeneye remake is the huge elephant in the room. I do wonder if Activision leaned on Nintendo behind the scenes to cancel the deal with MS in order to protect their own relationship with Microsoft (and get Wii timed exclusivity for Goldeneye Reloaded in return).