• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Article in German:

www.eurogamer.de

GoldenEye 007 ist endlich nicht mehr indiziert - und noch 2 weitere Spiele wurden vom Index gestrichen

Noch vor Ablauf der 25-Jahres-Frist wurde nun die Indizierung von GoldenEye 007 aufgehoben. Und auch bei zwei weiteren …

Don't know where I can find an English article for this.

Original English source:

Goldeneye 007 has been taken from the German BPjM list of "Media Harmful to Young Persons" which heavily restricted its sales in Germany.

This review process happens automatically after 25 years but in this case, the review has been actively requested prior to that date (by one of Nintendo's european partners, Stadlbauer Marketing Vertriebs GmbH, which in this case probably acts as a proxy).

Such a request doesn't come for free and usually you woudn't do it unless you plan something with your media.

Close if old. Didn't see this thread in the Latest Threads.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Put it on their new funny service then. (I know multiple parties are involved but im sure they can work it out nowadays)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
everyone (including me for once):
tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo, if you want my $50 a year for NSO Expansion Pack, getting Goldeneye on the service would be a surefire way to do it.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Add Goldeneye to NSO

PLEASE
online goldeneye would be a dream.

cue people bitching about how the klobb is misspelled and the explosions are slightly too orange thus it's an unplayable port
the original game on 64 is borderline unplayable these days with how badly some of it has aged lmao. still love it though, just takes a little getting used to because it controls so fucking weird and you can only see 16 inches past your nose

Nov 8, 2017
After the xbla leak I don't really want anything other than that version. I've got access to the original on og hardware and just a basic upscale wouldn't satisfy me lol.

Oct 25, 2017
During that era it was a complete coin toss if a game with any violence at all would be banned or not. Reading the justifications today, they all sound ridiculous.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Please let this be the official release of the canned XBLA remaster for both Xbox/PC and Switch. I don't want just a mere ROM dump of Goldeneye on NSO.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the popularity of the leaked build of the XBLA game was enough proof for Nintendo and the other license holders to be able to get this done.

Sometimes something that's blatantly obvious to us needs some sort of evidence before companies can agree on a deal.

Fingers crossed that it ends up on as many platforms as possible.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
IN GERMANY, IT'S ILLEGAL TO ADVERTISE THE GAME OR SELL IT TO MINORS. In the 1980s, the German federal agency Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien (Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons) began adding video games to its index of media found to be harmful to young persons. The index itself cannot legally be printed as a list, and its contents are illegal to advertise in Germany. In April 1998, GoldenEye 007 was added to the index because of its death scenes and perceived glorification of violence. There are reportedly around 400 games on the list today.

Today I learned... thanks, Google.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The leaked XBLA port on an emulator with mouse control = incredible. Would be amazing if they could get it out there to more people officially somehow.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Why would this have anything to do with the XBLA version?

I vaguely remember that Nintendo was the holdup on getting both the N64 and XBLA version released, plus the XBLA version features the original graphics in addition to the remastered graphics.

I should have specified more clearly and said that while Nintendo worked their magic in Germany for the N64 version, maybe this will pave the way for Microsoft and Nintendo to work together again and get both the N64 and XBLA versions released. Apologies!

Grue

Sep 7, 2018

I'm confused... I definitely played a lot of this, on original hardware, in Germany.

15 Deadly Facts About GoldenEye 007

APRIL 24, 2015

NINTENDO

2. IN GERMANY, IT'S ILLEGAL TO ADVERTISE THE GAME OR SELL IT TO MINORS.

In the 1980s, the German federal agency Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien (Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons) began adding video games to its index of media found to be harmful to young persons. The index itself cannot legally be printed as a list, and its contents are illegal to advertise in Germany. In April 1998, GoldenEye 007 was added to the index because of its death scenes and perceived glorification of violence. There are reportedly around 400 games on the list today.
Was this game subject to some kind of censorship? If so, was it age restricted but available to adults?

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Please just be an official release of the XBLA version. I don't want to hear more people complaining about how it's "aged like milk" if they put it on the awful Switch N64 emulator and forget to change the control method lol

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Iirc the game never got released in Germany. If you played it you probably played an imported version from Austria etc.

That's interesting... Any idea why / what law there was around this?

Germany has some pretty strict rules around Nazi symbolism (none of this in GE 007) and videogame violence in general, if I recall, but surprised to learn I might have been playing an illicit cart the whole time.

Face Screaming in Fear Emoji

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Germany has some pretty strict rules around Nazi symbolism (none of this in GE 007) and videogame violence in general, if I recall, but surprised to learn I might have been playing an illicit cart the whole time.

I mean you have guns and you shoot people. At that time that was already enough to justify a ban. It were pretty crazy times in Germany back then.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

It's only illegal to advertise games on the index and to sell them to minors, but selling them to adults is perfectly legal (as well as owning them regardless of age). Advertising is defined very broadly though and includes putting the game on store shelves as well as including it in any lists, which means that only very few stores actually sell indexed games. It's too much of a bother.

There are a few games that are or used to be outright banned though as opposed to just being on the index, I think Dead Rising was one of those cases. For banned games even buying and owning them is illegal.

List of games on the index:
www.schnittberichte.com

Liste indizierter Spiele in Deutschland (Schnittberichte.com)

Alle Indizierungen der BzKJ im Bereich Games / Videospiele (für PC, Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo u.v.m.) ▻ Uncut EU-Versionen & US-Fassungen, USK & PEGI

List of banned games:
www.schnittberichte.com

Alle nach §131 oder §86a StGB beschlagnahmten Games in Deutschland (Schnittberichte.com)

Vollständige Liste der wegen Gewaltverherrlichung nach §131 StGB in Deutschland beschlagnahmten Games / Videospiele ▻ Infos zu Beschlussdatum & betroffenen Versionen

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the heck out of the N64 app -- I've been playing it nearly nonstop since release. I've heard the criticisms, but honestly it feels perfect to play (I don't perceive any latency issue on the games accused of it), and things generally look the best they ever have -- up-rezzed all nice and crispy, with correct colors. There are a few visual glitches in OoT (only one of which was obvious to me), and a relatively minor visual glitch in Yoshi's Story. Could be patched, but all in all, the service is great, and I would welcome Goldeneye. I skipped the N64 games on WiiU since the colors were all off, and Wii VC games are all blurry now. This NSO has been a godsend.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I find it admirable that Nintendo did this for no reason whatsoever.

Yep, absolutely for no reason.