• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
220px-GoldenEye007box.jpg

It's near unplayable to me now. Straight up ugly character models and those controls.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
A lot of them, but for a special case, witcher 3 is already starting to feel outdated in many ways only 5 years later

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I played it not that long and I found it still a very fun ride, and multiplayer where everyone is using the same control it is still fun as hell.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Controls are fine if you use the 1.2 setup, you can get crafty and use the 2.X controls and use two controllers for dual analog. Controls aren't a problem with the game imo.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Anything on the PS1 or N64, for the most part. A few exceptions spring to mind, like FFIX, MGS1, RE2/3, SM64 ...but wow, the first gen of 3D is generally hideous. I find both N64 Zeldas hideous from an audio and visual perspective. Gameplay feels really clunky, too.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah most console FPS games, especially before Modern Warfare did not age well imo.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
man this thread is already fucking with my head. i can agree that goldeneye controls really weird these days, but I still like the art. just not the draw distance lol

but sonic on genesis, really?? that shit holds up really well imo. Most old 2d games hold up pretty dang well, especially platformers. early 3d games are where things started to get super janky. Mario 64, a little, maybe, but it still holds up great outside of some camera issues. Holds up better than banjo IMO but I've played it more recently

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Grand Theft Auto 4 the thread. I mean it still a fine game, but it sandwich between the excellent if a bit bloated San Andres and the never seen to stop getting re-release GTAV which was pretty good.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Just about any early 3D game - especially PlayStation 1 games. A lot of N64 games look like ugly colour smears too, and had serious framerate problems.

When it comes to the technological advancement of gaming, it's hard to go backwards. Your expectations change.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Anything on the PS1 or N64, for the most part. A few exceptions spring to mind, like FFIX, MGS1, RE2/3, SM64 ...but wow, the first gen of 3D is generally hideous. I find both N64 Zeldas hideous from an audio and visual perspective. Gameplay feels really clunky, too.

I actually love how Ocarina still looks and the...locked 20 fps is actually bearable.

However the Deku Tree LEAVES have always bothered me, even back in 1998, they look so...jaggied-squared, I have tried to filter them in so many different ways in emulators and nothing works :(

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
A lot of old strategy games even great ones UIs make them a nightmare. Every time I've gone back to Alpha Centauri I curse that it will never get an actual remake. It is why Civ: Beyond Earth was such a bummer.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Kart DS

8 makes these really hard to go back to.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted, Last of Us, Dark Souls, Demons souls, and Killer Instinct (Arcade)

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i can not play ocarina of time again. i can play the 2d zeldas over and over again.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This is mostly a problem with early 3D games. While it was obviously a massively important transition for the industry with tons of groundbreaking games, so much of it has aged terribly, particularly on the console side. At least with old PC games there is usually a lot of mod support to help older games, and there's been a lot better and more expansive work done by companies like GoG, Nightdive, etc., to remaster stuff from that era.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Halo 1. The level designs really havent aged very well. I'm still struggling to finish the campaign.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
(I grew up with a gc so this all comes from virtual console experience)
Mario Kart 64 is complete garbage compared to almodt every other mario kart game, it looks SO bad and doest even have 3d models for the racer. Especially compared to ctr which is still a really good game.
Morrowind feels really bad to play coming off of modern eldeer scrolls games because of missI ng attacks + the font being unreadable on hd pcs. The UI is truly awful in every single way.
I agree with the person who said the 64 Zeldas sound horrible, the sounds in tbat game for scraping and the olants are just aming the worst things ive ever heard, but the rest of the game is ok.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Mario 64 definitely did with that abysmal level design... Outside of Tick Tock Clock and the Bowser Stages everything is just so bland, boring, empty and utterly uninventive.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I love System Shock but these days playing it "vanilla" is almost impossible. Thank god for the mouselook mod.

ZwdsaZ

Mar 2, 2020
I can't play those FF on the PSX again because the low frame rate in battle(FF VIII 15fps,FF IX 20fps...)

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I'ma go ahead an say Phantasy Star Online. Do the same 3 button "combo" over an over while clunkily trying to avoid taking hits. As far as action/rpgs go it became dated quite fast, like even before its successor PSU launched.

edit: to add to this I think Phantasy Star Ø pretty much proved this. Ya it may have been alil gimped by having dpad control as opposed to the Dreamcasts stick, but it managed ta feel remarkably similar and bad.

Last edited:

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I've been playing Goldeneye a good deal the last month and I don't find it to have aged poorly. It's no doubt an inferior game to the PC FPSes of the era like Doom and Quake, but I don't think it's held back that severely by console / era limitations. The controls are restrictive compared to PC FPSes, but enemy behavior is also very restricted; the game feels very well-balanced around what you and the enemies can and cannot do - and there is a reasonable amount of combat strategy and finesse going on too, with the game's focus on locational damage and enemies having reliable hitstun states. (Perfect Dark is a bit rougher though. That framerate is really dicey, and it doesn't help that the game is a lot harder.)

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I always used the "Turok" style controls with GoldenEye (c buttons for movement, analog sick for aiming).

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I've rediscovered PS1 thanks to the FF7 remake. I've been enjoying lots of PS1 era jRPGs a lot, and imo for the most part they've aged well, even graphically, HOWEVER...

Loading times, grinding, no save anywhere (or at least Suspend functionality) and other time waste mechanics (such as having to backtrack out of dungeons in Grandia wtf) def did not age well. My point is that most jRPGs from the PS1 era would be perfectly playable and enjoyable, even for newcomers, if they had the toggleable QoL features the FF7 port for PS4/Switch/PC had:
  • Turbo speed (mostly to beat the loading times, and other repetitive transitions such as battle results screens)
  • Random encounters off (mostly when the encounters are incessant or when you're revisiting places)
  • Save anywhere / Suspend (kinda comes for free as part of the Switch and PS4 OSs)

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Super Mario World...honestly, almost every game released before the HD era that doesn't rely on its story or characters.

If the graphics and controls haven't aged poorly, then the overall level and world design seriously lacks refinement compared to the very best modern games in their genres.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really not a fan of the Gameboy Zelda games (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages).

I tried playing them on the 3DS a few years ago and the lack of buttons really kills the Zelda gameplay IMO. Only having TWO buttons is just rough, needing to constantly swap out your shield for whatever item you need at that moment, which can vary from screen to screen (the strength gloves/bracelet needing to be equipped is stupid too).

And at least in the Oracle games I found the maps to be needlessly maze-like. I needed to play the game with a guide just to figure out how to get from one dungeon to the next. Exploration isn't that fun if you just hit dead ends everywhere.
Halo 1. The level designs really havent aged very well. I'm still struggling to finish the campaign.
I tried replaying it for the dozenth time (or more) this year after not playing it for years, and I admit I got kinda bored with it.

Shotguning Flood and riding the Warthog is still great though.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Popular beloved franchise. Am I doing it right?

Honestly I would say zelda 2 has not aged well in terms of gameplay. It's still a good game, it's just a very difficult one and was always the weakest of the console zelda games.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Bros: if you play without save states, game is hard as nails. It is so hard to anticipate things coming to you. Nowadays most platformers have a much smoother gameplay, with double jump, more forgiving timing for jumps...I get this game brought a lot to video games in general, but this one really feels dated.1The game also requires to run,which makes it stressful.This is way I prefer Super Mario Land, a shorter and more forgiving game.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Uncharted, Last of Us, Dark Souls, Demons souls, and Killer Instinct (Arcade)
I tried to play the first Uncharted again as the remaster was free on PS lately. Although the story and characters are great, the graphics and especially the gameplay have aged so bad, that I will skip it and go straight ahead to part 2.