• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Via Goldeneye25 Twitter

Even the biggest downgrades in recent memory have nothing on this sort of thing from the 90's. There's always something charming about this stuff from the era of showing off FMVs as your graphics, or using blatent offline renders with preposterously high resolutions and asset quality that aren't even on the same planet as the game.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
They were supposed to be renders.
Yeah, I don't think they were ever intended as anything misleading, anymore than drawings of Zelda enemies in an instruction manual were.

Didn't they show real screens of GoldenEye before the public ever saw these renders anyway?

Plus, Rare was always putting new renders out after the games had already been out, as wallpapers and holiday art and stuff.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's no downgrade tho, like you said those are promo renders.
It's like if we talked of downgrades nowadays because we saw a CG cutscene before gameplay. Clearly, it's the same thing we do nowadays. No more renders on game magazines, but CG trailer on youtube.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The owner of that account is doing a UE4 remake of goldeneye? It looks amazing! I have followed him, hopefully he manages to get it out.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They also used to just draw approximations of gameplay even earlier. Pitfall comes to mind.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember these in magazines. They were never intended to be representative of the game and were never passed off as such.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Look at the downgrade DKC2 got. Rare is such a bunch of phonies.
Donkey-Kong-Country-2-Concept-render-SNES.jpg

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017
This isn't a "downgrade" at least in the traditional sense.

Not saying it is the same, just that in the 90's this was what everyone was doing all the time. It is, as I said, one of the charming aspects of the era.

Savvy people would realize it's not in game but there were no standards for anything so you'd have ads on TV or in magazines that really had no interest in showing off the game itself. Bullshots in the traditional sense existed alongside it and there's not really a clear delineation - the tank screenshot for instance is clearly showing off highly polygonal objects and characters that are likely derived from the real objects in dev builds of the game, but all the texture work is in pristine quality and it's print-quality resolution instead of 320x240. Compare that to the laser corridor screenshot which looks totally unlike the game, or "bond standing in front of a flame" which nobody would ever confuse for the game either.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Someone post the original screenshots that were released for the game. The resolution and image quality was for a system 2 generations ahead of the N64.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I wish I looked as relaxed as Pierce Brosnan looks in these shots. Shit is just getting completely wrecked and he looks like he is reading the newspaper.
pierece1yrkfj.png

pierece2rak0g.png

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The one in the tank looks these photo booth attractions where your slip your head into a premade character (pirate on his boat etc).

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
These were never presented as being in game iirc. Since DKC1 Rare used hi res cgi images for promotion.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Opened the thread recalling CGI brosnan just posing in some fire, was pleased to see it alongside the other nostalgia hits.

Don't think any of them were implied to be representative of the visuals, these funky marketing renders were the way of the nineties

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These were never meant to represent the actual game. They were artwork, a CGI version of a drawing or painting. Every game did this back then, no downgrade, no intent to misrepresent.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that those early low poly yet crisp as hell renders from the 90's with bloom and shit up the ass aged a lot worse than the actual in-game graphics which, aside from the horribly low resolutions (and in Goldeneye's case framerate) don't look that uncanny today, they just feel rudimental. These kind of "realistic" CGI renders from the era, on the other hand, look like some pre-Toy Story failed attempts at making realistic Pixar animations by somebody who clearly doesn't have the technical skills to pull it off. And I'm not throwing shade at the artists, because 3D software at the time gave them these tools and they did what they could, but it's a style that certainly did not age gracefully, looking pretty funky already a couple years later.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Stray thoughts
- Going by the silo stage layouts, his vaulting is very ill advised, Mr bond I expect you to die indeed.
- I can't tell if bond is striking a cool pose among the archives chaos or if sprinting away from the madness whilst holding his gun up via some intense arm swaying

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017
The funny thing is that those early low poly yet crisp as hell renders from the 90's with bloom and shit up the ass aged a lot worse than the actual in-game graphics which, aside from the horribly low resolutions (and in Goldeneye's case framerate) don't look that uncanny today, they just feel rudimental. These kind of "realistic" CGI renders from the era, on the other hand, look like some pre-Toy Story failed attempts at making realistic Pixar animations by somebody who clearly doesn't have the technical skills to pull it off. And I'm not throwing shade at the artists, because 3D software at the time gave them these tools and they did what they could, but it's a style that certainly did not age gracefully, looking pretty funky already a couple years later.

FMV for mid-budget games in the 90's looks totally abysmal. These kinds of screenshots are in the category of like "it's kind of the game but it's also kind of not" so it's trying to look like massively spruced up gameplay so it comes off as worse even than that mid budget FMV stuff, lol.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
Old video game marketing is one of my absolute favorite things. It never fails to be interesting or hilarious. The shots of Brosnan's face tickle me.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Via Goldeneye25 Twitter

Even the biggest downgrades in recent memory have nothing on this sort of thing from the 90's. There's always something charming about this stuff from the era of showing off FMVs as your graphics, or using blatent offline renders with preposterously high resolutions and asset quality that aren't even on the same planet as the game.

The renders are clearly promotional owning to the large Rare logo, lack of a UI and non standard size (usually portrait or landscape). They were never intended to be bullshots like today's games. More as an appetizer to let people's imaginations run wild while browsing through a magazine

Rare had been doing it since 1994s DKC as eye candy for magazine inserts and splash pages.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FMV for mid-budget games in the 90's looks totally abysmal. These kinds of screenshots are in the category of like "it's kind of the game but it's also kind of not" so it's trying to look like massively spruced up gameplay so it comes off as worse even than that mid budget FMV stuff, lol.

Yeah, it just feels so damn fake. I always laugh my ass off when they use FMV or CGI renders to depict videogames in movies or TV shows, because they feel and look completely different from the actual thing. From the smooth transitioning camera, to everything feeling butter smooth, to some assets being a lot better than the rest sticking out like a sore thumb, without forgetting the Windows Movie Maker level lens flares and the lack of feedback on the player's screen as the action happens. But they actually used such sequences in games back then for their cinematics, and they always felt kinda off to me, and indeed they aged horribly.

I mean, look at the FMV parts of the first Tomb Raider's cinematics. Some surprisingly high quality assets in the middle of blurry messes (compare Lara's hands in the second FMV scene to those of the dude in the beginning), animations that feel ridiculously stiff, no feedback by other elements on screen, empty areas because rendering too much on screen was a pain in the ass with the hardware of the times, etc.. Early 3D games' gameplay graphics don't feel wrong (see Quake 1 or Tomb Raider 1 itself), they feel like something that aims at reality but approximates it with terrible poly counts and low resolutions. These FMV parts, on the other hand, go for some effects that try and outshine reality, failing quite miserably in the process.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I had several of these renders as A1 sized wall posters in my room back around when the game came out (Thank you Bergsala AB promo department).

These were never presented as anything from the game itself, just artwork.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The renders are clearly promotional owning to the large Rare logo, lack of a UI and non standard size (usually portrait or landscape). They were never intended to be bullshots like today's games. More as an appetizer to let people's imaginations run wild while browsing through a magazine

Rare had been doing it since 1994s DKC as eye candy for magazine inserts and splash pages.
Indeed.
wp3166147-888x500.jpg

900x.jpg

fullgore2.jpg

glacius.jpg

These Goldeneye renders are particularly shitty though.

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Why is he vaulting over everything he can think of? There was no vault or jumo mechanic in the entire game.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
You say this as though it's just a 90s thing. It's only been relatively recently that any games show actual gameplay footage or, for that matter, even label non-gameplay footage as such. Or using footage from a PC version to show off a console version.