• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best shooter on the N64?

• Goldeneye

Votes: 273 45.5%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 327 54.5%

• Total voters

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a video that made a good argument on why one of these two games is better than the other one but i wanted to see how ERA feel about this question.

For those of you that played both, which do you prefer and why?

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I have a lot of fun memories of playing Goldeneye multiplayer with friends but the co-op campaign in Perfect Dark was great.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Goldeneye. Multiplayer will never be beaten from that game. Used to love skipping lessons and heading home with my mates to play

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
God it's been so long. I remember back in high school I was fervent with "Goldeneye is better," but I think Perfect Dark had a lot more options for multiplayer matches and stuff so I don't know how I would think that way.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye has better level design, better art/style and at least some levels with a playable frame rate. I think it's far better. Perfect Dark just has more content.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
They are both very good games, but I remember literal day-long multiplayer sessions with my friends with Goldeneye. I remember single-digit framerate with Perfect Dark.

GoldenEye for me, but I hope PD makes a comeback some day.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TimeSplitters 2 > Perfect Dark 360 remaster >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Perfect Dark >> Goldeneye

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more nostalgic for GoldenEye, but from the last time I played both I remember preferring Perfect Dark as a game.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark had better guns and AI (I swear DarkSim is better than the AI in all modern FPS games), but Goldeneye levels like Stack, Facility, and Temple are just unbeatable.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Perfect dark is slightly better.

Very strange how the genre peaked on the N64 though

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Perfect Dark is technically better, but by gosh, Goldeneye is just far more nostalgic to me and the many 4-player deathmatches we had. It's music is burned in my brain. It's level layouts are seared into my mind. It's the one I prefer.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Played them both as they came out so memory is a little hazy (have since revisited Goldeneye) In terms of multiplayer, me and my friends played the shit out of Goldeneye but Perfect Dark just didn't vibe with us. Not sure if it was the maps, the futuristic setting or what.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing Goldeneye has over Perfect Dark is the Golden Gun multiplayer mode. Atleast I remember something like that not being in Perfect Dark (and it was a fun mode, dangit).
I guess one can have a preference for the slower health drain and James Bond theme too.

But honestly, Perfect Dark is mostly just a better Goldeneye with a shitton more multiplayer options and modes. The different AI bots were fun to mess around with too.
I don't really get the framerate complaints because Goldeneye had them too and worse? It got so bad multiple times that the game locked up on us.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
PD is ultimately better and iterated on a lot of what Goldeneye offered.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I don't really get the framerate complaints because Goldeneye had them too and worse? It got so bad multiple times that the game locked up on us.
Digital Foundry did a pretty thorough analysis of the two games a while ago and while neither game performs particularly well, Goldeneye fares just slightly better on average. 4-players + 8 bots + explosive weapons in PD is a recipe for misery.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It's Goldeneye- Perfect Dark was an absolute mess on framerates. Goldeneye wasn't pristine with mass explosives, but at least there was an obvious reason for that.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Perfect Dark is better game by far. Some of the golden eye levels are iconic but in terms of gameplay, perfect dark blows it

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark is basically Goldeneye dialed up to a 10. It perfected on everything that Goldeneye wasn't. I love both games but Perfect Dark is the better experience.

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry did a pretty thorough analysis of the two games a while ago and while neither game performs particularly well, Goldeneye fares just slightly better on average. 4-players + 8 bots + explosive weapons in PD is a recipe for misery.

It always seemed really bad any time the laptop gun went off.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
biased opinion but goldeneye brings back more nostalgia then pd. but pd was better

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
Goldeneye.

On single:
I know PD feels more cinematic but Goldeneye feels more arcady and i love that. Funny "ouch" from soldiers wins over serious aliens/robots/organizations. It also reflect this arcade feeling on music, I can't be tired of Goldeneye tunes even if there're repetitive but PD music in some missions makes me bored o less exciting.

On Multiplayer:
I love Perfect Dark too, don't get me wrong but Goldeneye's simple options and charming characters in good maps worked better with friends. I remember in multiple times friends got overwelmed for the amount of configurations, AI,etc.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, interesting. I guess I do have rosier memories of PD then! But to be fair we only really did either 4-players (and shitload explosives) or 2-players with 8 bots, might've lessened it somewhat. I'm going to check out that video.

2-Players, 2 teams with 4 bots is still a blast btw. Reconnected old N64 and played some PD with a friend to do just that. The way you can give commands to your bot teammates to hold position or to defend/attack something specific is just too much fun (having all 4 of them on defending you will have them circle around you like you're some kind of mob boss)

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Had this debate with my brother 5 days ago, his pick was Goldeneye.
But without the nostalgia factor Perfect Dark is objectively the better game, just soo much more content, better graphics, better multiplayer... It's really no contest.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking loved Perfect Dark multiplayer. It was filled with content.

Want to play against bots? You can do that. You can also change their behavior and team up with them.

Want to play different maps? Here, have a fuckton.

Want variety of weapons? Sure, also add an alternative fire mode for ALL weapons.

Want to play with friends? Up to 4 of them, and you can add bots to the mix!

And a big etc.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for me I understand the legacy with Goldeneye but for me Perfect Dark was just the better game hands down. I mean yeah maybe the maps were better in Goldeneye but everything else for me was better in PD.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark is almost a complete upgrade over Goldeneye in every meaningful way, so I'd go with that. I still play it to this day.

Anyone that wants to dust off their N64s and play these now, set your controls to 1.2, it actually doesn't feel all that alien to play. C-buttons move, stick aims, far faaaaar more palatable than the default.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Goldeneye for me. My friends and I went back to Goldeneye after a while. Not sure why but it just was more fun to play.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love Goldeneye to death but Perfect Dark improves upon it almost every way. There's obviously something awesome about a proper James Bond campaign but PD is just fantastic.

PD is better. Especially considering you can play it in 2019 in HD with stable frame rate and online multiplayer on a modern console.