• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best shooter on the N64?

• Goldeneye

Votes: 273 45.5%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 327 54.5%

• Total voters

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Campaign: Goldeneye. It's open enough without making you feel lost all the time.
Multiplayer: Perfect Dark/Timesplitters 2. Just nothing but improvements over the originals.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true and it's kind of sad. It's really unfortunate that Perfect Dark did not sell more. It should have been more influential than it was.
According to someone at Rare, it sold around 3.2 million copies. Other figures put it at 2.5, but Rare probably know better. That was less than half of what GE sold, but was pretty huge by FPS standards of the time. Especially since PD was released in mid-2000 and the system's life cycle was mostly wrapped up by late 2001. GE had the benefit of selling throughout 1997-2001.

Perfect Dark's influence is difficult to separate from GoldenEye's. It's like trying to distinguish between Crysis and Crysis 2's influence on gaming. You can find their influence in a lot of places, but a lot of what Crysis 2 did was already present in Crysis.

On a slightly different topic, one of the developers from GoldenEye: Source is currently working on a remake of GoldenEye for PC, aiming for release in 2022.

Even David Doak has chimed in with his opinions on the project.

This project looks very promising, and I'm a little wary about MS/Nintendo reviving GoldenEye XBLA and finding reason to try and squash the project. To date, there have been no legal challenges against stuff like GoldenEye: Source, but that could change.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Perfect Dark has better mecanics and better weapons, but I prefer GoldenEye's level design.
Perfect Dark MP is better imo. The HD version is so fun in MP.

But both are awesome games. I think Rare games have aged reaaaally bad. The DK Country games, Banjo 1, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark are their only games that I still like.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I spent months worth of time playing Goldeneyes multiplayer with friends.

The GOAT.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's Goldeneye- Perfect Dark was an absolute mess on framerates. Goldeneye wasn't pristine with mass explosives, but at least there was an obvious reason for that.

I was crazy bastard when young. Could play with 10 fps and I would no be bother. That's why I destroyed my eyes when a kid. Can't play perfect dark on nintendo 64 anymore... Goldeneye is much better based on that only.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Way more memorable multiplayer in GoldenEye with friends. All I remember from Perfect Dark is single digit frames everywhere.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really really wish that somehow PD remaster comes out on the pc cause that's the only way I'll play it. I have unfinished business with that game trying to beat that on Perfect Agent. I refused to get a 360 to play that.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
I'd choose Goldeneye's campaign over Perfect Dark's but PD has bots in multiplayer so I'd pick that for the multi.
Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect beats both in every department easily for me, though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Way more memorable multiplayer in GoldenEye with friends. All I remember from Perfect Dark is single digit frames everywhere.

Kind of yeah. Goldeneye is such a strong memory in peoples minds because it came out at a time where there was nothing really comparable and was pretty revolutionary.

Bots sounded cool until you played with them and they just ran on loops as if it was a race and lagged the game something fierce. Unreal Tournament did it so much better like a year earlier.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Perfect Dark was improved in every concievable way. The literal only downside that is still only subjective is the 007 vs Perfect Dark as an IP.

Everything else in PD is amazing. Still has better features than some today even have.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'm more nostalgic for Golden Eye, but having played both in the last 2 years Perfect Dark holds up wayyyy better.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it depends on where you were when these games came out. Like I'm pretty sure Perfect Dark fixed some of the shortcomings of Goldeneye, however I was right in the middle of the whole Goldeneye phenomenon. By the time Perfect Dark came out my friends weren't around as much so I didn't have anywhere near the same enjoyment out of Perfect Dark compared to Goldeneye. Goldeneye was a fucking masterpiece because I had endless amounts of fun with friends at the time. So many fucking great games, I wish I could relive shit like that.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
On a slightly different topic, one of the developers from GoldenEye: Source is currently working on a remake of GoldenEye for PC, aiming for release in 2022.
Hell yeah! I've waited an eternity for those GE Source guys to remake the campaign. Glad to hear they're finally remaking the best part of GE. Day 1.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
This thread just made me fire up PD on XBLA, haven't played it in a while and was trying to figure out something to play. Perfect!

As to my answer, GoldenEye. It's just what I played a lot more of back when I had both on my N64. But truly love them both.