Good looking 90's 3D games

Oct 25, 2017
Usualy when we talk about game graphics that aged very well its usualy mostly 2D games, sprite art etc., especialy games from the 90's .

So which 3D game from the 90"s that you think the graphics still looks good.

My choice will go to
Megaman Legends 1 and 2

I think its amazing how well the game still holds up, and its a great game

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid, for sure. There were a lot of clever tricks at work in that game to make it look as good as it did. It's still pretty damn easy to go back and play, too, even if the gameplay is comparatively shallow when up against MGS2 and 3.

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Megaman Legends was ugly as shit even back then. Seeing those pixelated 3D just annoyed me. It looks good in that picture due to it being more compressed.

Oct 25, 2017
Hgnn, I wanted to link Vagrant Story, but it released Feb 10th of 2000.

... Will post it anyway:
I can't agree at all. Vagrant Story, like all 90s 3D games, is an absolute eyesore

Compared to 2D pixel art, this game just looks like a garbled mess of jittery mush and deformed low poly humans. And everything's dull and brown (that's more of a bad art decision than a tech decision, of course, but for some reason it was common back then)

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree at all. Vagrant Story, like all 90s 3D games, is an absolute eyesore

Compared to 2D pixel art, this game just looks like a garbled mess of jittery mush and deformed low poly humans. And everything's dull and brown (that's more of a bad art decision than a tech decision, of course, but for some reason it was common back then)
Aha, it just manages to meet the minimum threshold for me and still look good. Like in the clip you linked, I can't help but be impressed by the hair blowing around and the good (if very simple) camera move.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean real talk, it all does look bad. Especially 'realistic' attempts which almost all look like hot trash now. Even the ones on the very edge of looking okay by sheer art style aren't good at all. 90s 3D is just the age where 3D looked like ass, period. I'm so much happier with early 90s 2D instead.

Though if I were to pick one game that would at least be acceptable as an 'aesthetic choice' today, it'd be Mario 64 by quite a wide margin.

Oct 28, 2017

Everything you said in this thread is objectively wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Usualy when we talk about game graphics that aged very well its usualy mostly 2D games, sprite art etc., especialy games from the 90's .

So which 3D game from the 90"s that you think the graphics still looks good.

My choice will go to
Megaman Legends 1 and 2

I think its amazing how well the game still holds up, and its a great game
I'm sorry

Oct 25, 2017
Soul Calibur still looks very nice. Hot damn I remember firing it up on my Dreamcast for the first time and being stunned. It holds up in a modern sense for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
I like a lot of them but I am not comparing them to realistic graphics or a clean technical presentation. When I see low poly characters and environments and painted on detail with low res textures, I see an artist trying to make something happen with what was available at the time and in many cases I have a lot of appreciation for what they achieved. That makes it also quite difficult to sometimes distinguish between bad art and technical limitations but that is exactly one reason why I am way harsher on modern graphics, there you don't have the benefit of the doubt any longer and in many if not most cases, it was not a technical limitation.

So it would be futile to post any examples of games I think still look great as they would be dismissed fairly quickly (I still like Starfox on SNES for example). Going by the rule of "still holds up today" yeah then I don't really have any, the gap is so gigantic that nothing holds up, at least not on a technical level!

Freddo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I'm still fond of Thief: Dark Project, granted it's mostly just shadows, but still! And the levels are absolutely massive, it can take hours to play thru them.

And talking about massive levels, Jedi Knight had some great massive epic levels too. Always felt a bit disappointed in the sequel Jedi Outcast because it didn't. Jedi Knight was also the main reason why I bought a Voodoo 2 card, big difference there between software rendering and 3D card rendering, made the game very pretty.

I'm also very fond of the cartoony PS1 games, like Mega Man Legends 1&2 mentioned in the OP, but also Threads of Fate. Love that game.

Oct 26, 2017
Tobal 2

They used inexpensive gouraud shading. It allowed higher rendering res than most PS1 games of that era ... and everything at 60 fps.

Last edited: