• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely disagree about the post, but if you want explanation for this:
but for some reason it was common back then

Back then textures were still using set palettes instead of the full 16/24-bit used later and this gave developers more colors to use for shadows. At least that's how it was in Quake.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Rayman 2: The Great Escape

PC version screenshots, though the Nintendo 64 version also fares well, especially with the Expansion Pak.

826794-rayman-2-the-great-escape-windows-screenshot-just-saved-globox.png

826962-rayman-2-the-great-escape-windows-screenshot-lava.png
The textures for this and Tonic Trouble are so clean on the pc versions they look like something out of the early 00s instead of 99

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
To heck with the haters. I love early 3D. Can't wait til indie games start chanelling this look over 8/16-bit.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Usualy when we talk about game graphics that aged very well its usualy mostly 2D games, sprite art etc., especialy games from the 90's .

So which 3D game from the 90"s that you think the graphics still looks good.

My choice will go to
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
tumblr_inline_nqgse0KIeN1sw5u1y_500.gif

tumblr_ngwi52IuWw1szm3pwo1_500.gif

tumblr_ocbw7kIwTV1v6pzwto1_400.gif

tumblr_ncmou6ZgNk1rheorao1_400.gif

I think its amazing how well the game still holds up, and its a great game
Mega Man Legends was on my mind the moment I saw this thread. That series is a joy to look at.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wolfenstein 3D (1992):
wolf-06bskqv.png

Doom (1993):
doom100jq0.jpg

Quake 1 (1996):
quake1b6kki2.jpg

Commonly played in 800x600 to1024x768 When GL Quake released.

Quake 2 (1997):
quake-2xqj08.jpg

I used 1600x1200 to play this.

Quake 3 Arena (1999):
quake_iii_arena_scree89jux.jpg

Played this in 1024x768 @ 150 HZ back in 1999. Until it was patched you needed at least 127 FPS to avoid an engine bug to have correct movement.

The motion blur is from the video processing.

Just look at this and say there are no good 3d games in the 90s.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe there's a PC version of at least the first game. Obviously that can be run at 640x480.
there's a nintendo 64 version called megaman 64 it has better res and AA, but worse draw distance{

Edit: founded this comparison (it looks like emulator though but you can see the difference)

I2xA1WD.jpg

SAqMLo1.png

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Greatly helped by fighting and racing games generally being the prettiest genres on any system (fighting having only two characters and a simple 3D scene so they can get more details and racing having a fairly predictable viewpoint and cars are relatively easy for 3D hardware to render). First Person Shooters and RTSes tend to be the ugliest, FPSes because the camera gets so close to things and can look from anywhere, exposing graphical trickery and RTSes simply have large terrain areas filled with large numbers of units.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Frontier Elite II -- 1993

Basically the same thing as Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky today. 1:1 scale procedurally generated Milky Way Galaxy. You could enter the atmospheres of planets and land in cities. Even the gameplay hasn't fundamentally evolved that much in the newer games. The only immediate massive difference is that the graphics in Elite II looked like Star Fox 1 -- which came out that same year.

nnasLOf.gif

Greatly helped by fighting and racing games generally being the prettiest genres on any system (fighting having only two characters and a simple 3D scene so they can get more details and racing having a fairly predictable viewpoint and cars are relatively easy for 3D hardware to render). First Person Shooters and RTSes tend to be the ugliest, FPSes because the camera gets so close to things and can look from anywhere, exposing graphical trickery and RTSes simply have large terrain areas filled with large numbers of units.

You still can't deny how crazy SEGA arcade boards were in the 90's, even compared to PC gaming. Naomi was probably the tail end of that era.

The_jMag

Nov 1, 2017
What game is this? :o

As PlzUninstall mentioned, it's Sonic The Fighters. It's actually pretty fun for a simplistic fighter (3 button control scheme like Virtua Fighter and other Model 2 games) and the aesthetics remind me of old Disney cartoons mixed in with that 90s tude. Mirror matches have the characters in black and white as well giving that cool 1920s toon vibe. Would of been nice to see the game get a Saturn port back then, but it's available for Xbox One via 360 backwards compatibility.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I just spent the afternoon playing G-Darius, Tron Bonne and Wipeout 3. So... I'll go with those.
(I also played the original Tomb Raider but it definitely does not qualify for this thread, lol)

It was my first time playing G-Darius, I was expecting a 2D game. But the 3D ships and enemies are fantastically designed. Their sharp 3D look adds a ton of personality.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic The Fighters/Sonic Championship. It was an arcade game. :)

Used to have one at the Sega World in London a long time back.
They nailed that 'scene' in the second gif, wow.

Sonic the Fighters, one of the worst fighting game ever made according to science.
As PlzUninstall mentioned, it's Sonic The Fighters. It's actually pretty fun for a simplistic fighter (3 button control scheme like Virtua Fighter and other Model 2 games) and the aesthetics remind me of old Disney cartoons mixed in with that 90s tude. Mirror matches have the characters in black and white as well giving that cool 1920s toon vibe. Would of been nice to see the game get a Saturn port back then, but it's available for Xbox One via 360 backwards compatibility.

Thanks, the more you know! I heard the name before but I never actually really saw the game. I doubt I'll have the chance to ever play it in my life but if I have the opportunity I now have the morbid-curiosity to do it! :P

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What a strange way to look at it. How about giving art direction and game design props when due? Why this diminishing attitude?

Not all 90's FPS games were 'bad looking'
Not all 90's 3D fighting games were 'good looking'
Not all 90's 3D racing games were 'good looking'

Thanks, the more you know! I heard the name before but I never actually really saw the game. I doubt I'll have the chance to ever play it in my life but if I have the opportunity I now have the morbid-curiosity to do it! :P

That part about it being bad was a Giant Bomb Ranking of Fighters reference, it's actually a pretty good game. You can still play it on XB1 and PS3.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I have to second the Quake games for sure. I still play Q3A on a regular basis, and the graphics may be old/blocky, but they still look "good" in their own way to me. The settings are also atmospheric, and I still enjoy them.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
What a strange way to look at it. How about giving art direction and game design props when due? Why this diminishing attitude?

Not all 90's FPS games were 'bad looking'
Not all 90's 3D fighting games were 'good looking'
Not all 90's 3D racing games were 'good looking'
However on average those genres have a leg up/down on other games of their generation. Fighters and racing games often look a generation ahead of their peers.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
90's 3D is my favorite 3D, so most of PS1/Sega Saturn titles look very appealing to me, a lot more so than PS2 era games, which to me just look ugly with none of the charm.

Since you like the look of MML, you should check out The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, a spin off with the same engine and similar gameplay. A couple more examples of kinda cel shaded PS1 games would be Hokuto no Ken and Dr. Slump:

mFA5HXu.png
MZrVQcO.png
I love this style. Is there a name for this type of modeling/texturing?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I get sad when I see people say all 90s 3D games were ugly. I think they are charming and designed in a way that leverages the creativity of the designers to get around limitations.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
As mentioned above, Sega's arcade output was amazing, and so was Namco's in the 90s for 3D.

I was going to post pics, but can't tell if they have been tampered with online. Anyway, below are some examples I played on a CRT, and they still look good:

Resident Evil, PowerVR 3D accelerated version on PC:
ViBWsFr.jpg

Outcast on PC using voxel technology:
iKdYPjr.jpg

Homeworld on PC taking advantage of spectacular vistas in outer space:
eqj48P1.jpg

Freespace 2 on PC, with spectacular space combat:
LmmgWN8.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3TB on Dreamcast, great models taking advantage of two characters on-screen:
QHp06Qw.jpg

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, looking very sharp and making the most of two characters again:
gc6lDfT.jpg

Einhander on PS1, a 2.5D shooter and very stylish:
ouk28Bs.jpg

R-Type Delta on PS1, another 2.5D shooter, with chunky looking, yet appealing graphics:
jmbU8y3.jpg

Necronomicon on Saturn, a pinball game making good use of fixed camera and hi-res:
r00E5NW.jpg

Soukyugurentai on Saturn, an overhead 2.5D shooter which has this low-res and chunky look to it:
uBYMK49.jpg

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I was impressed with what Sega managed to pull out of the Saturn even with Fighting Vipers and Megamix especially with destructible walls and breakable armor... or maybe I'm easily impressed