• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usualy when we talk about game graphics that aged very well its usualy mostly 2D games, sprite art etc., especialy games from the 90's .

So which 3D game from the 90"s that you think the graphics still looks good.

My choice will go to
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
tumblr_inline_nqgse0KIeN1sw5u1y_500.gif

tumblr_ngwi52IuWw1szm3pwo1_500.gif

tumblr_ocbw7kIwTV1v6pzwto1_400.gif

tumblr_ncmou6ZgNk1rheorao1_400.gif

I think its amazing how well the game still holds up, and its a great game

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid, for sure. There were a lot of clever tricks at work in that game to make it look as good as it did. It's still pretty damn easy to go back and play, too, even if the gameplay is comparatively shallow when up against MGS2 and 3.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure some of those are emulated screenshots and the actual game doesn't look like that

edit:

more this:
gfs_42487_2_65_mid.jpg

than this:

011.jpg

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Megaman Legends was ugly as shit even back then. Seeing those pixelated 3D just annoyed me. It looks good in that picture due to it being more compressed.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I still think the jungles in the original Crash 1 look ahead of their time considering the other stuff coming out in 199-fucking-6.

c3d5747f6d.png

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking Megaman Legends when I saw the title so I'm glad it's being represented. I need to replay that game.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I remember most Sega games have great looking 3D visual games, like Shenmue, Crazy Taxi..
and my favorite; Virtua Fighter 3
Virtua%20Fighter%203%20Team%20Battle%20(Dreamcast).jpg

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could probably name a few Dreamcast games. Just look at Soul Calibur.

Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time hold up pretty well for me too.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hgnn, I wanted to link Vagrant Story, but it released Feb 10th of 2000.

... Will post it anyway:

I can't agree at all. Vagrant Story, like all 90s 3D games, is an absolute eyesore

Compared to 2D pixel art, this game just looks like a garbled mess of jittery mush and deformed low poly humans. And everything's dull and brown (that's more of a bad art decision than a tech decision, of course, but for some reason it was common back then)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree at all. Vagrant Story, like all 90s 3D games, is an absolute eyesore

Compared to 2D pixel art, this game just looks like a garbled mess of jittery mush and deformed low poly humans. And everything's dull and brown (that's more of a bad art decision than a tech decision, of course, but for some reason it was common back then)

Aha, it just manages to meet the minimum threshold for me and still look good. Like in the clip you linked, I can't help but be impressed by the hair blowing around and the good (if very simple) camera move.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean real talk, it all does look bad. Especially 'realistic' attempts which almost all look like hot trash now. Even the ones on the very edge of looking okay by sheer art style aren't good at all. 90s 3D is just the age where 3D looked like ass, period. I'm so much happier with early 90s 2D instead.

Though if I were to pick one game that would at least be acceptable as an 'aesthetic choice' today, it'd be Mario 64 by quite a wide margin.
super-mario-64.jpg

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Everything you said in this thread is objectively wrong.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Resident evil games don't look bad, I played through nemesis for the first time a couple weeks back and thought it was good.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Soulcalibur was '99, still looks pretty good imo. Same with Sonic Adventure ('98).

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Rare's games still look very appealing thanks in part to their wonderful use of colors, but it could be nostalgia.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Usualy when we talk about game graphics that aged very well its usualy mostly 2D games, sprite art etc., especialy games from the 90's .

So which 3D game from the 90"s that you think the graphics still looks good.

My choice will go to
Megaman Legends 1 and 2
tumblr_inline_nqgse0KIeN1sw5u1y_500.gif

I think its amazing how well the game still holds up, and its a great game
I'm sorry
QFLA22Y.gif

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018

Thanks for posting this gif, it reminded me how fucking amazing Vagrant Story looked. So damn atmospheric and cool.

I am very ready for more games to cash in on early 3D nostalgia like indie games did with 2d Hi-bit over the past 10ish years. God damn it looks so cool.

I love the way Panzer Dragoon looks like, for example. They still look amazing.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Soul Calibur still looks very nice. Hot damn I remember firing it up on my Dreamcast for the first time and being stunned. It holds up in a modern sense for sure.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am partial to "sprites in 3D background" look of Breath of Fire, Paper Mario, rakuga kids, and FF tactics

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I like a lot of them but I am not comparing them to realistic graphics or a clean technical presentation. When I see low poly characters and environments and painted on detail with low res textures, I see an artist trying to make something happen with what was available at the time and in many cases I have a lot of appreciation for what they achieved. That makes it also quite difficult to sometimes distinguish between bad art and technical limitations but that is exactly one reason why I am way harsher on modern graphics, there you don't have the benefit of the doubt any longer and in many if not most cases, it was not a technical limitation.

So it would be futile to post any examples of games I think still look great as they would be dismissed fairly quickly (I still like Starfox on SNES for example). Going by the rule of "still holds up today" yeah then I don't really have any, the gap is so gigantic that nothing holds up, at least not on a technical level!

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Legends 2 holds up as well as you can reasonably expect a PS1 game to hold up

the art direction does it a ton of favors

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
MDK is an absolute gem of a game. Some of the visuals in it were pretty amazing for the day.

Vagrant Story is also a favorite of mine, it did a lot with the limitations of the ps1.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Rayman 2: The Great Escape

PC version screenshots, though the Nintendo 64 version also fares well, especially with the Expansion Pak.

826794-rayman-2-the-great-escape-windows-screenshot-just-saved-globox.png

826962-rayman-2-the-great-escape-windows-screenshot-lava.png

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
I'm still fond of Thief: Dark Project, granted it's mostly just shadows, but still! And the levels are absolutely massive, it can take hours to play thru them.

And talking about massive levels, Jedi Knight had some great massive epic levels too. Always felt a bit disappointed in the sequel Jedi Outcast because it didn't. Jedi Knight was also the main reason why I bought a Voodoo 2 card, big difference there between software rendering and 3D card rendering, made the game very pretty.

I'm also very fond of the cartoony PS1 games, like Mega Man Legends 1&2 mentioned in the OP, but also Threads of Fate. Love that game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably Sonic Adventure, though the speed is what helps distract from the aged visuals :p

Power Stone looks decent too, though art style and camera really help there.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Tobal 2

J8h4.gif

They used inexpensive gouraud shading. It allowed higher rendering res than most PS1 games of that era ... and everything at 60 fps.

Last edited: