• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it absolutely does matter especially if you're gonna make an insulting statement about the director of the title. Again, this isn't gamefaqs or 4chan.

If you're gonna make a claim provide receipts other than vague similarities based on literally one angle.
latest

You remind me of that dude who said that Marcus from Watch Dogs 2 just had to be based on Kanye West because of surface level similarities, or without a hint of irony believe DICE based the villain of Mirror's Edge Catalyst on EA's Ceo.

This isn't gamefaqs fam.

Do yourself a favor and watch that GDC video or literally read up on how they arrived at Dante's look

TIm Phillips btw
I'm pretty sure Tameem has an Indian heritage, too (he's dark skinned and his name sounds very much like a name from India), so the claim that Dante is somehow a self-insert of his is downright maniacal.
All excellent points. However, how do these examples fare against a sniper rifle abortion?
Dante does a 360-no-scope against an obvious pope stand-in in DMC4.
latest

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the new age
iu
While there has been some debate regarding that specific game, the whole "lets make an edgy version of ____ game" was soooo 00s. Even with the games that came out afterwards (like DmC, they still felt like they were trying to capture that edge or at least prolong its life. Great thing is that sorta thing seemed to die out in most cases. The "new age" was just a trend, nothing more, nothing less.

Meh, good riddance, I found it utterly annoying. Remember dreadlocks Bionic Commando, edgy Alone in the Dark and Final Fight Streetwise? Remember most of the Tomm Hulett Silent Hill games (with overly dark, moody protags that have TOO MUCH of a knack for kicking ass like action heroes, rather than being characters in a survival horror game where you have to think fast and try to wisely choose your battles).

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I'm pretty sure Tameem has an Indian heritage, too (he's dark skinned and his name sounds very much like a name from India), so the claim that Dante is somehow a self-insert of his is downright maniacal.

Actually, even if DmC's Dante is designed after him and look just like him, so what, is what I'm thinking. Plenty of video game characters are designed to look similar to real people, does it change things if the person they're designing it for is the creative director?

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018
If classic DMC is a "anime shit", then DmC is pretty much one of those "kids vs. system a.k.a. poor people's Orwell" kind of movies that modern teenagers love. No hard feelings.

No, I've played this games by myself and these are first to come up to my mind. I've just been thinking that you'll nitpicking them no matter what just to prove you're right.

Also, DMC3 does have a good story, much better than DmC have as I said before. I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you and just give you link to this video.

I don't mean to laugh, but sorry, DMC3 does not have good story telling, or acting, or Art direction...it was great for when it released i guess, as a mindless action romp. No MGS3 by any means, but by today's standards...oh goodness DMC3 is just all manner of not good story telling. Still great game though.

As for the other 4 games...no nit picking, good choices. But the fact that you think DMC3 has good writing, or acting....is just hilarious. Thanks for the youtube video by someone who also thinks it has a great story like you. I am sure you can find a video to support just about any opinion on anything. But that doesn't alter the fact that the writing in DMC3 is objectively not good....but hey, maybe it lost something in translation.

Probably its just bad though.
Wow, so your defense is that every game has it's problems, so why are you criticizing DmC?

That's just sad.
I am not criticizing DmC. You must be mistaken.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, even if DmC's Dante is designed after him and look just like him, so what, is what I'm thinking. Plenty of video game characters are designed to look similar to real people, does it change things if the person they're designing it for is the creative director?
I dunno, I don't care either. I like how Dante looks in DmC and I like how Dante looks in DMC (up until 3 at least), I don't have a problem if his looks are inspired by a model, a developer or a juvenile delinquent.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
People tend to interpret this as "Dante's gay" but what they actually intended to do was to show how out of place old Dante looks in a western movie.

https://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/seen-gdc-imagine-dante-in-a-western-movie/

They also shopped him into fight club

ogn9mk2.jpg

It's not exactly a great argument because I'd say Dante isn't supposed to fit into a realistic movie but at least it's not intended to be homophobic
There are hundreds of western movies that aren't famous gay dramas. It's inconceivable that Ninja Theory just happened to sandwich Dante between two gay cowboys. If they didn't pull that homophobic bullshit on purpose it's the biggest coincidence I've seen in years.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Like people literally just wanna be mean spirited at that point.

That too.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
But there's context.

https://www.engadget.com/2013/03/28/seen-gdc-imagine-dante-in-a-western-movie/

There not saying "haha, old Dante is gay" instead they mean to show how Dante is completely out of place in a western movie. Brokeback mountain is also not the only movie they picked.

Because it's ridiculous to imagine Dante appear in a movie that deals with serious topics? It's also a pun as capcom asked them to "imagine Dante in a western movie" and then it's a literal western.

Oh please, there are hundreds of western movies that aren't famous gay dramas. It's inconceivable that Ninja Theory just happened to sandwich Dante between two gay cowboys.

Building off this, if Brokeback Mountain was the first thing you thought of when you thought "western" (even back then), then your reference pool is pathetically small.

When you spend your time talking shit about a character's "coolness", and you bring up Brokeback Mountain, the message you send, whether intended or not, is that the character isn't cool because he looks and/or is gay. Because otherwise there's no reason to ever bring up Brokeback Mountain.

I posted about this before but without a doubt vanilla Ninja Gaiden 3 with their ''japanese dark hero'' shit. Not only was the game itself terrible the supposed mature story was completely laughable in how tryhard it was.

Wrong Ninja Gaiden.

Oct 27, 2017
I was talking about the linked video, which is not edgy. That stuff certainly seems comparable to "The world is at last your bitch, as am I" and shooting a pregnant woman in the womb, though.
Toxic masculinity is very prevalent in the character action genre unfortunately. It started with DMC1. :|
On the subject of 'toxic masculinity': I'd agree with others (one / two / three / four) who have indicated that there is some 'disagreeable' imagery in this game; and similarly (setting aside my own/personal solely/merely aesthetic incompatibility with the music Combichrist made for this particular game), I don't know if I'm all that comfortable with what I've read about some of the attitudes/imagery Combichrist has apparently/on occasion 'adopted' for use within their material/act/presentation outside of their work for DmC (see this interview with Jairus Khan from May 2012, which does include a direct response from Andy LaPlegua; a response which I'm sure might be fully satisfactory for other folks in this thread, though it's far from satisfactory for me, personally).

EDIT: Some additional context:
https://th3r3isn0tim3.wordpress.com...dustrial-poster-children-for-racial-faux-pas/
[...]Which brings us to Jairus Khan's (Ad.ver.sary) "We Demand Better" video at this year's kinetik festival [May 2012] which leveled accusations of hipster-fascism, hipster-homophobia, and hipster-misogyny against (in particular) festival-mates Combichrist and Nachtmahr. The video which accompanied Ad.ver.sary's performance of "Friends of Father" included lyrics, video clips, and still images as prima facie evidence of Combichrist and Nachtmahr's irresponsible connection to misogyny and fascism[...] The video then shows images from[...] Combichrist's "Get Your Body Beat" in which several men menace and beat two mostly nude women in a hotel room. It also quotes lyrics from "Give Head if You Got it"– 'All you feminist c**ts you know that you want it. Give head if you got it.'

I Die, You Die interviewed both Andy LaPlegua (Combichrist) and Thomas Rainer (Nachtmahr) at Kinetik, asking for their reactions to the video. In his defense, LePlegua offers irony: "In Combichrist, for my sake, I always did it as a fictional character… It was a storyline, something I was doing as a comic book character kind of thing." LePlegua's evasion aside, the video really locates some legitimate grounds for critique[...]

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember most of the Tomm Hulett Silent Hill games (with overly dark, moody protags that have TOO MUCH of a knack for kicking ass like action heroes, rather than being characters in a survival horror game where you have to think fast and try to wisely choose your battles).
Which characters would those be? The one who runs away from everything (Shattered Memories), the OTHER one who runs away from everything (Downpour), or the ones who basically play like older Silent Hill games, but without poorly designed controls? Also, I'm not sure why you'd single out Tomm Hulett considering he was a producer with very little input into Double Helix, Climax, and Vatra's work.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, as godawful as Yaiba was there wasn't (at least I don't think there was) a moment where they said you were suppose to take anything they did with the story of that game seriously, unlike NG3. They really thought they were doing some amazing narrative with that game and that to me makes it a thousand times more sad and embarrassing.

"We want players to feel the drama, then have a bit of a break, then go back to drama – almost like you're watching a movie."

In order to make an action game that appeals to adults, we needed to have action and emotion. Something that would make a mature audience get out of the game and into the experience.

We want to show his struggles, the way he waivers in what he does. Not just show that, but to have players experience that as well.

A dark hero wants to do the right things, but sometimes he has to do bad things in order to do good. We want players to emphasize with that and to connect with Ryu. In order to do that, players have to act as Ryu and get their hands bloody.

Last edited:

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say Devil may cry absolutely hit the point of edgy edgy. I mean, have you seen these song lyrics?
EtU3Qhx.png

yneYv5N.png

Dante's sword is literally named Rebellion and has a skull for a hilt.
latest

Miraculously, it's less edgy in the reboot:
b59d4619130181e1ca109f8d18629424.jpg

I didn't realize the presence of skulls and their image in a fictional universe where demons exist makes it "edgy", which in and of itself is such a loosely defined term. I would have thought a game that takes a previously conceived canon and warps it to become a story about consumerism, while the protagonist drinks, has threesomes and swears all while exuding a disinterested attitude would be "edgy".

The lyrics are from tracks in DMC3, and while his sword is called rebellion: That's more "on the nose" regarding the plot points than it is edgy edgy. Dante in that game is still in his teens and one of the major plot devices in the game is him refusing to embrace his demonic power. He has to in order to stop his brother from opening the demon realm.

Then you have DmC's Dante who is simply rebelling from society. How original, and superior to the original interpretation.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Bruh, are you seriously trying to say that a broadsword named Rebellion with skull for a hilt wielded by a grown ass dude with an emo haircut isn't edgy. BRUH
255556-blackangel.jpg

If you read my reply to your original point you'd already know my answer. Now I know that you think skulls are edgy, along with men aged 18 being considered "grown ass" dudes.

Bruh.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
If you read my reply to your original point you'd already know my answer. Now I know that you think skulls are edgy, along with men aged 18 being considered "grown ass" dudes.

Bruh.
TOTES NOT EDGY
EtU3Qhx.png

HELLA NOT EDGY.
yneYv5N.png

Is edgy a dirty word for you or something. Like, is it too much for you to admit that this shit is unapologetically edgy? "My sword named rebellion and my emo haircut is totally not edgy."

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When Dante's design in DMC3 first came out, people bombasted it for being too metrosexual. They didn't like the gunbra or the no shirt thing. They didn't like him spinning skulls on his finger, eating pizza while fighting or saying woohoos like a TMNT.

I don't know if this is a case of times being changed or what but Dante DMC3 when he came out was a straight up cornball character same as DMC4 Dante. He was in direct contrast to Vergil, who is the edgiest of edgelords (like legit stereotypical almost). DMC2 Dante is the edgiest Dante design.

It seems the word "edgy has lost all meaning over time and everything gets brandished as such.

That said in no universe is DMC in direct competition to DmC in terms of edginess. I could make a top 10 list of "thats so edgy" moments in DmC that eclipse anything in the older DMC games:

*The world is my bitch and so am I.
*"But I got a bigger dick"
*The scene where Dante is actually trying to feel his heart to check if he is human (this one has to be #1 or close to it... this shit would make Linkin' Park blush)
*Dante in a club creepily checking out strippers and then having a threesome in his trailer... as the opening scene of the game...
*Sniper abortion scene
*Whole scene with Kat talking about her past of being raped by her demon dad while Dante is trying to hit on her. It's both edge AND filled with the type of "toxic masculinity" that this game is choke full of.
*Sparda shackled in some get up that looks like some BDSM type shit.
*The ENTIRE DmC Vergil's Downfall DLC. This DLC manages to seep into both brands of edgyness, going all the way into "hollow" evil Vergil transform with corrupted veins and giant dark pulsating heart in the background.
*The soundtrack is also hella edgy. Like yea DMC games have had edgy, heavy metal soundtracks since DMC3 but DmC takes it to a new level. Check out these lyrics: Kill. Me. Spare. Me. Kill. Me. Spare. Me. FEAR. ME. For their eyes! Lie to me. LIE TO ME... (repeating) while some heavy metal shit is playing in background. This is what plays in the background in the final battle of Dante vs Vergil... contrast this with what plays in DMC3.
*The entire game is filled with not so subliminal "KILL" "DIE" "BITCH" type words plastered all over the background. Like just pick one spot in the game and it's probably some tacky shit.

List goes on. This game is probably top 5 edgiest games of all time. It's like parody status. Now granted some of it was tongue in cheek and played for humor (like FUCK YOU!!! or DANTE DA DEMON SLAYER!) but stuff like checking my own heart to see if I am alive was played HELLA straight.

For the record, we are talking about "edgy" in the sense that the game is trying hard to be mature, grim dark or against the grain just for the sake of it. That said, to keep on the spirit of the thread... the original DMC is definitely guilty of trying too hard to be cool. Sometimes it succeeds and sometimes it fails spectacularly. But it's done in a fun enough manner that you can laugh it off and know that the developer never intended it to be some deep allegory.

Last edited:

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018
I didn't say you were. Pretty much what you said is "Your favorite games have their problems. Don't criticize other games."
No what I said was, its easy to criticize most games...and his critical "opinions" clearly stem from him being a POed DMC fan and not because DmC does anything particularly poorly compared to other games. I am calling him out for picking on this particular title out of spite, and not really because it is that bad a game. Also his specific criticisms can literally be applied to almost any game....so its really not a well thought out thread by any stretch of the imagination.

It is just such a transparent and childishly angry thread....which is made all the more baffling because DMC5 is already announced...and I don't think butthurt DMC diehards have to worry anymore about Ninja Theory. Don't get me wrong, I love DMC as well, but not to the extent I am gonna cry because DmC was different and therefore insulting the "legacy" of DMC and "not respecting its fans"...seriously? Yawn man...tired.

I hope my reasoning for calling this thread out for being ridiculous is a bit more clear now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
*The world is my bitch and so am I.
*"But I got a bigger dick"
*The scene where Dante is actually trying to feel his heart to check if he is human (this one has to be #1 or close to it... this shit would make Linkin' Park blush)
*Dante in a club creepily checking out strippers and then having a threesome in his trailer... as the opening scene of the game...
*Sniper abortion scene
*Whole scene with Kat talking about her past of being raped by her demon dad while Dante is trying to hit on her. It's both edge AND filled with the type of "toxic masculinity" that this game is choke full of.
*Sparda shackled in some get up that looks like some BDSM type shit.
*The ENTIRE DmC Vergil's Downfall DLC. This DLC manages to seep into both brands of edgyness, going all the way into "hollow" evil Vergil transform with corrupted veins and giant dark pulsating heart in the background.
*The soundtrack is also hella edgy. Like yea DMC games have had edgy, heavy metal soundtracks since DMC3 but DmC takes it to a new level. Check out these lyrics: Kill. Me. Spare. Me. Kill. Me. Spare. Me. FEAR. ME. For their eyes! Lie to me. LIE TO ME... (repeating) while some heavy metal shit is playing in background. This is what plays in the background in the final battle of Dante vs Vergil... contrast this with what plays in DMC3.
*The entire game is filled with not so subliminal "KILL" "DIE" "BITCH" type words plastered all over the background. Like just pick one spot in the game and it's probably some tacky shit.
I don't disagree with a single thing on this list. Just one small thing, Dante wasn't hitting on Kat during the car scene. Like he's literally just trying to a bit awkwardly, thank Kat for helping out and to get to know her a bit more. There's a huge gap between his mannerisms and tone in that scene compared to earlier when he was being a fuccboi:
tumblr_mgui5aoOBr1r8z0p1o2_r1_500.gif

List goes on. This game is probably top 5 edgiest games of all time. It's like parody status. Now granted some of it was tongue in cheek and played for humor (like FUCK YOU!!! or DANTE DA DEMON SLAYER!) but stuff like checking my own heart to see if I am alive was played HELLA straight.
It says so much about this medium......but top 5 edgiest games? Nah. Also, again to reiterate, no one is saying that both are 100% the same amount of edginess or even close. Just that both are edgy AF.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
All excellent points. However, how do these examples fare against a sniper rifle abortion?
They can't, because there is indeed a difference between both series in terms of tone, characterization,jokes, action, etc.

Wich is why the echidna scene brought up as a counterpoint again doesn't make sense, despite both scenes having a somewhat similar point.

Lilith is a scared humanoid woman who surrenders and fears for her child (even if its for selfish reasons) she is killed suddendly by Vergil (it isn't the worst scene ever because we know Vergil is a prick and Dante was against it), it is indeed edgy for a dmc game.

Echidna is a plant, like mythological monster who throws her own children as attacks, for them to kill the host and become parasites, she has thousands of them , leaving her be would kill humanity.
Maybe if Dante were to kill the demons with sadistic joy and was taken seriously it would be the same, but he doesn't he just throws them back at her, Nero is the one who kills them, because he doesn't care about demons (Dante also likes to leave some demons alive for pity)

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can't, because there is indeed a difference between both series in terms of tone, characterization,jokes, action, etc.

Wich is why the echidna scene brought up as a counterpoint again doesn't make sense, despite both scenes having a somewhat similar point.

Lilith is a scared humanoid woman who surrenders and fears for her child (even if its for selfish reasons) she is killed suddendly by Vergil (it isn't the worst scene ever because we know Vergil is a prick and Dante was against it), it is indeed edgy for a dmc game.

Echidna is a plant, like mythological monster who throws her own children as attacks, for them to kill the host and become parasites, she has thousands of them , leaving her be would kill humanity.
Maybe if Dante were to kill the demons with sadistic joy and was taken seriously it would be the same, but he doesn't he just throws them back at her, Nero is the one who kills them, because he doesn't care about demons (Dante also likes to leave some demons alive for pity)
Both are demons. DMC and DmC are about killing demons. There's no difference.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
All of them are. DMC 3 is amazing but within 5 minutes a shirtless Dante is skateboarding on top of a demon screaming this party is getting crazy while trying to eat pizza.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
rtnKy4s.png

But seriously ... both of this ones are the MOST tryhard ever, for completely different reasons :

YtnOaqO.jpg

and

NPZcQwW.png

Actually this thread needs more of the second kind of try hard ... like Senran Kagura ou Dead or Alive beach Volleyball

Last edited:

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Your guess is as good as mine. We've been seeing so many as of late. I got a warning from the mods in a completely different DmC thread a few days ago for what is called thread whining.
Yeah I hesitated in even asking out of fear of getting a thread whining warning but how many constructive conversations about not liking one specific game can you have? There have been three extremely similar threads in the last week

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Both are demons. DMC and DmC are about killing demons. There's no difference.
Both are demons yet they present them as not all evil (in the case of Phineas) and capable of redemption, in the case of lilith it was all serious without a trace of irony, it helps establish Vergil as a villain so i don't think its the worst scene in the game or anything, you can choose from others to pick apart.

huh idk, sometimes i feel DmC wasn't edgy enough and more bland, but for guys discussing that scene i can see why it bothered them, its played very seriously, comparing the scene with echidna and they couldn't be more different.

At the very least we could understand why somebody would like the tone of one and not the other.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird seeing people continuously down play the homophobia presented in that GDC talk (intentional or not). 3 threads in the past week and twice people have been banned for it. It's always the same users who go out of their way to defend DmC. Like just take the L and admit that the GDC NT talk was just straight up bad in general.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird seeing the mental gymnastics on display when it comes to that GDC talk, namely, the amount of reaching. That entire portion was talking about the tone they were trying to achieve and what they actively avoided.

Am I doing mental gymnastics? Its just my impression of their sweet infographic slide.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hesitated in even asking out of fear of getting a thread whining warning but how many constructive conversations about not liking one specific game can you have? There have been three extremely similar threads in the last week
Yeah, typically in other forums I go to people will search to see if there is a similar thread to what they want to discuss before they post. If there is then they just bump the old one. It isn't that hard either, ERA has a good enough search function to do so. It's weird to see all these essentially identical threads. Typically a new thread is a new and/or different topic of discussion.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's appropriate.
At some point in time cool dudes were never as cool as their older selves.
People change throughout their lives.
Some more than others.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only non-constructive posts are the ones where people are eager to bash the game or the developers really, so I don't see why people would be questioning the reason for there being threads about DmC, it is a game that invites lots of interesting discussion due to it being not only a great action game but one of the most unique titles last gen in terms of style and art direction.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't disagree with a single thing on this list. Just one small thing, Dante wasn't hitting on Kat during the car scene. Like he's literally just trying to a bit awkwardly, thank Kat for helping out and to get to know her a bit more. There's a huge gap between his mannerisms and tone in that scene compared to earlier when he was being a fuccboi:
tumblr_mgui5aoOBr1r8z0p1o2_r1_500.gif

It says so much about this medium......but top 5 edgiest games? Nah. Also, again to reiterate, no one is saying that both are 100% the same amount of edginess or even close. Just that both are edgy AF.
Another good game to compare would be Metal Gear Rising
images

Edgy as a knife, main character wants revenge, eyepatch has high heels.etc.lots of pointless dialogue about stuff, lots of cursing.

Yet, while MGR and DmC don't have particularly good stories or characters, i have to give the edge to Rising because it knows its ridiculous and plays with it, resulting in a few awesome cutscenes with lots of character, many gamers enjoyed/remember Raiden vs Armstrong more than any scene in DmC.there is a charm in over the top stuff that DmC forgot pursuing more conventional methods that fans missed.

But of course its not for everyone, DMC and certain games simply aren't for everyone

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of devil stuff and trying hard, we have to mention Devil's Third.

The protagonist is a ripped bald dude with a 'tude (and a dark past) who is covered in tats, never wears a shirt (jumping out of a plane, fighting in the snow, who gives a shit), always wears sunglasses (and a shark-tooth necklace and leather pants), and is introduced to us by rocking out on a drum set in his underground prison bunker/personal rock n' roll recording studio. If you don't press a button for a while, Mr. Bald Tattoos Sunglasses will take a swig from his flask or light a smoke (everyone knows booze and cigs and, obviously, lots of cussin' are the fucking coolest). One of the antagonists wears a snake-skin cowboy hat. It's like butt rock took physical (digital?) form as a video game.

I love it for that, though.
You just made me consider buying it now

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird seeing people continuously down play the homophobia presented in that GDC talk (intentional or not). 3 threads in the past week and twice people have been banned for it. It's always the same users who go out of their way to defend DmC. Like just take the L and admit that the GDC NT talk was just straight up bad in general.

While I've personally never offered an opinion on the GDC talk specifically, and I can even grant a certain sort of 'benefit of the doubt' with regard to toxic masculinity, in light of their 'non-toxic' subsequent (and pre-DmC) work; for me, it is still important to point out those elements of DmC (including the ones you just carefully pointed out) that I find unsettling. I think it's worth making the effort to 'demand better'.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly depending how you look at things 99% of characters can be labled edgy.

But continue yelling at each other folks.
Which is why terms such as edgy or tryhard are meaningless, empty criticism. Punk esthetics are only "edgy" if one labels them as such because of a wrong mentality of it being some sort of statement while other sorts of styles aren't. Except every style is indeed a statement, even when a large group of people agree that said style is bland. When people say that something is "trying hard to be cool" they are actually saying that "this thing isn't cool for them", but instead of admitting that it's a subjective matter, that this thing isn't to their taste, they prefer to use the term "tryhard" because then it seems like it's a failure of the thing that it doesn't appeal to them.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao.

Dante does a 360-no-scope against an obvious pope stand-in in DMC4.
latest

The pope has turned himself into a demon at this point along with some of his goons, so killing him wasn't the issue, it's the fact that Dante had to kill him in front of so many innocent people just to be a show off, completely traumatizing dozens and dozens of Fortunans and kids for life.

I always scratch my head at the whole 'DmC got rid of the anime stuff.' It changed the style a bit but the whole thing is still anime-y.

The only anime thing in DmC was Vergil's Downfall, which was directed by someone who actually liked DMC3 and classic Vergil.

The main game itself is completely anime free though, it's western to the T.

I'd say that DMC5 is a proper example of a Devil May Cry game changing its visual style while still rocking the anime spirit.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only anime thing in DmC was Vergil's Downfall, which was directed by someone who actually liked DMC3 and classic Vergil.

The main game itself is completely anime free though, it's western to the T.

I'd say that DMC5 is a proper example of a Devil May Cry game changing its visual style while still rocking the anime spirit.

Eh, I don't really see it. The whole thing seemed very anime-y to me from the designs to the story. In a different way than then classic series, but still felt it to me.