• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Yes.
Hardware like this.

71DfmvxYuJL._SL1000_.0.0.jpg

yep what I'm expecting (with their streaming service as the focus).

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I can see them doing 2 things

1) They release a streaming box

2) They release a streaming box along side a traditional console (altho maybe digital only), around what an Xbox One X can currently do (maybe a little weaker or maybe a little stronger who knows)

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Barring a bunch of very high profile exclusives that really interest me(and I only really play single player now)it's gonna be pretty easy for me to ignore whatever it is.

Feb 10, 2018
We know they have vega cards and powerful cpus powering Google project stream, it would be interesting if all there server hardware was a very similar spec and they made exclusive games for them.

They would be next gen games and we could end up having streaming games that look better then ps5/scarlett games,
That would be funny, streaming having more "HARDCORE NEXTGEN WHIZZ BANG GRAPHICS"

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they try to introduce a traditional console. Streaming will certainly be a huge component like people are saying (since they seem to have cracked that decently) and maybe it will have some other original unexpected features, but Google would be so stupid to just out of nowhere try to supplant three insanely huge, established brands by playing them at their own game (no pun intended).

If Google is entering the console space, it's because they think they can strike gold with an alternative gaming solution, in the way that the Switch did as a hybrid. They would want to release something they believe cannot (currently) be replicated by the other brands, not spend billions of dollars over years just trading blows with them.

imo~

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Please be a Switch competitor but with actual third party games.

moogan

Nov 2, 2017
i wonder if they will moneyhat stuff
like those terrible posts that go

CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY MELTDOWNS IF SONY/NINTENDO/MICROSOFT WOULD CREATE IF THEY BOUGHT ---

i dont want it to happen, im just saying imagine if it happened my doods.

all those meltdowns cause that's like super interesting to have lots of whining and weird schadenfreude

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Couldnt hardware literally be something the size of a firestick and a controller put in a box?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I still think it's going to be something more than the streaming box. maybe not what we currently think of as a console, but more than a streaming box.

For the most part, it seems that you don't get successful in gaming by just dabbling. Valve is the only one I can think of that built a whole platform by gradually increasing their commitment. For most cases, it seems like you want to pin it out of the gate as hard and fast as you can.

Streaming dongles have been done. Streaming dongles with controllers have been done. It's not enough to show commitment. And the audience demands a show of commitment. If they're serious about having a gaming platform beyond their Mobile store, it has to bust out like the Kool-Aid Man.

Imagine your feelings if they pull off the cover off a Google playstation on the 19th. Will you feel:

Shocked?

Like you have to reassess the console markets importance?

Like you have to reassess the importance of gaming to Google?

Would you perceive a console vs a streaming stick to show more or less commitment to gaming?

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I guess you would need the box to reduce latency, but IMO the whole point of cloud gaming is to allow your game library to be easily accessible from any device (phone, smart tv, chromecast, etc.).

I hope they reveal the box but still allow you to play from anywhere on any device.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
If Google is indeed making a legitimate console comparable to Xbox or PlayStation, why are there not any leaks on it yet? We've seen far more leaks from MS and Sony in the past regarding their console endeavors. Shouldn't there have been a leak already that help us gauge the how powerful it could be? Even just from one, even unreliable, source.
b/c everyone assumed streaming, no one bothered to see if google is doing a traditional console. if they are, hope its not andriod though. andriod is more blooted than windows.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch it be another half measure/half step. These Giant tech companies are gonna have to make more of a commitment if they want to break into the industry in a huge way or disrupt it.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost certainly a new way for Google to skim information and spending habits off a younger demographic.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Why hype up a streaming console when there are multiple streaming boxes out there?

I can actually see Google releasing a fairly powerful hardware using mobile parts running at full speed that is the size of a Switch. It won't be a X or Pro competitor but it will compete against the ordinary Xbone S and PS4 with a cheaper price

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think we know it's hardware. We just want to make sure it's not expensive hardware that good exclusives are stuck on.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The streaming box seems more likely but i'd really like if it is a "real" console, that rumored with specs higher than Xbox One X, just to see people being triggered by the claim "most powerful console ever made" from Google. LMAO

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think we know it's hardware. We just want to make sure it's not expensive hardware that good exclusives are stuck on.

On the other hand why Google would ever invest on exclusives first and third party, or even manufacturing physical versions of their games only for a streaming box?

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Probably going to be a suped up android box to strean stuff off and play Play Store games.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a mention of AMD having an undisclosed hardware win for this year?

The undisclosed EA platform for EA Access is almost certainly going to be this.

Looking forward to the announcement. If they heavily subsidise it like some of their other kit, things could get very interesting (tm).

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I really don't see why they would hype an event up so much just to put out a streaming box.

Obviously I could be wrong, but they must know that a streaming box is going to receive a pretty luke warm reception as most people just don't have the internet connection good enough for them to get excited about. Google must have people on staff that read forums like this and hardly anyone is up for streaming yet.

On the other hand they must see that gaming is getting massive and now want a slice of that.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I really don't see why they would hype an event up so much just to put out a streaming box.

Obviously I could be wrong, but they must know that a streaming box is going to receive a pretty luke warm reception as most people just don't have the internet connection good enough for them to get excited about. Google must have people on staff that read forums like this and hardly anyone is up for streaming yet.

On the other hand they must see that gaming is getting massive and now want a slice of that.
It's gonna be a streaming box + streaming service announcement, probably. That's a pretty big deal, if you ask me.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I can see them doing 2 things

1) They release a streaming box

2) They release a streaming box along side a traditional console (altho maybe digital only), around what an Xbox One X can currently do (maybe a little weaker or maybe a little stronger who knows)
If they're going to release a traditional console now it needs to be better than anything else or there no one will buy it.