• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I could easily see Google aiming for MS and offering a traditional console with a streaming aspect similar to Gamepass except with moneyhatted exclusives.

Aug 26, 2018
DOA. There is no room for another console on the market.

There absolutely is. Microsoft and Sony need competition if you ask me, Nintendo are on their own track and don't think Google can affect them.

Google is not just any company, they have built empires ( Android, Chrome, Search, Youtube etc.), have their own cloud solution, have the cash and are willing to spend without expecting returns for a lot of time.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Google stream service is just like psnow or nvidea? Or they have a new new compress file technique that can make stream reaaaaally works?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.
Hardware like this.

71DfmvxYuJL._SL1000_.0.0.jpg
You could run a lot of modern games in something that would fit in that box, as seen by the Switch. And you could get the rest via streaming.

It won't satisfy someone who wants the best visual fidelity but if it is $50 and plays some version of FIFA and Call of Duty that might be enough for a lot of more casual gamers.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
My bet is that they will probably have two models. A streaming box and a more traditional one.

We are due a new generation of consoles soon. Are you telling me if Google put out a good spec machine, at a decent price and a great line up of games you wouldn't be temped?

I sure as hell will be tempted, it will be easy to jump in as I already use android and chrome every day, so I don't need to create a new account,

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
There absolutely is. Microsoft and Sony need competition if you ask me, Nintendo are on their own track and don't think Google can affect them.

Google is not just any company, they have built empires ( Android, Chrome, Search, Youtube etc.), have their own cloud solution, have the cash and are willing to spend without expecting returns for a lot of time.
Well I hope they expect no returns because "Gamers" are going to stick with what they know being the big 3 plus PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, if this is a relatively cheap streaming device which also allows you to play Google Play games on the TV I'd probably be interested. I've got a ton of games on my phone that I never play either because the format is not engrossing enough or that they feel too deep for a brief play twice a day while I'm on the loo or waiting on something. I'd be down for playing The Room or Broken Sword or Kathy Rain on my TV if I had the opportunity.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I still think it's a hdmi dongle for streaming and android games+ 1 gamepad, sold for $50-100.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This thing isn't QUITE sent to die, but it has a lot working against it.

1.) Google isn't exactly known with "sticking with" support of offshoot projects like this. Your early adopters will set the tone for whether the project is a success or not, and I think we're past the point where "more power" will do it.
2.) Google lacks internal dev teams and exclusive software on the level of Microsoft, let alone Sony or Nintendo. Without that, you're simply jockeying for "best place to play multiplatform titles" which isn't exactly going to win you console wars.
3.) A streaming only box isn't going to get a big push from retailers- they make most of their money on disc based software still.
4.) This is the biggest one- Sony and Microsoft have a shit ton of "lock in" with PSN and Live. People have built up libraries they're not all that interested in "losing" by migrating to a competing console, nor their friends lists etc. Both next gen consoles are also expected to be fully backwards compatible with prior generations, meaning a massive, massive exclusive library Google isn't going to be able to compete with.

I'm not sure why launching a console makes any sense at all for Google, especially since although android itself is popular Google doesn't really have the brand loyalty that Apple does for their hardware. Most android phones/tablets/etc are samsung and similar, not Google's own hardware.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Remember it's a streaming and subscription business. If they launch a console to support that business, the whole business is not hinging on selling 50 million consoles. They can make as many or as little as they need for customers who want more than streaming.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
DOA. There is no room for another console on the market.

These statements are always BS but people believe they are true because you can't prove otherwise.

I remember when Sony declared the failure of PS Vita, they (and the gaming press) said that it died because of Android/iOS, there wasn't room for handheld consoles. Few years after Nintendo launched the Switch and proved that was BS.

There is totally room for more consoles, it's just a matter of making it right, which means offering fast growing library with a good mix of first party games designed for the system, third party games, indies. Exclusives are very important too. It could be all part of a catalogue of cloud games but if you don't have that unique mix, you can't expect success.

It's a big ask and that's why most companies failed, but Google has the resources to make this happen, it's just a matter of commitment. Can they support this platform for 5 years at least?

Last edited:

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
We are due a new generation of consoles soon. Are you telling me if Google put out a good spec machine, at a decent price and a great line up of games you wouldn't be temped?
Nope. Because anything google has 3rd party will be on the next Xbox or PS5. No way google is going to money hat a top tier AAA game studio unless they want angry gamers burning down their campus. I like what Xbox offers first party as well as Sony and Nintendo. None of those games are going to magically appear on whatever nonsense google is building.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm expecting a Switch-like Android-based tablet, probably akin to the Pixel line but with controllers. It won't be a mere "streaming device" because it will play just about everything on the Android store natively though

Aug 26, 2018
Well I hope they expect no returns because "Gamers" are going to stick with what they know being the big 3 plus PC.

What if they introduce a 200$ streaming box and something you can play on any mobile device or Youtube or Chrome with AAA 3rd party titles. There is a lot of room for them to explore.

Yes, they need to pour a LOT of money but if they are entering, they won't do it half-heartedly.

I personally would like to see what they offer before investing in Google's gaming efforts.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
A lot of people expecting traditional console hardware are going to be disappointed next week .. They aren't putting out anything to compete with the Ps5 and next Xbox

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This thing isn't QUITE sent to die, but it has a lot working against it.

1.) Google isn't exactly known with "sticking with" support of offshoot projects like this. Your early adopters will set the tone for whether the project is a success or not, and I think we're past the point where "more power" will do it.
2.) Google lacks internal dev teams and exclusive software on the level of Microsoft, let alone Sony or Nintendo. Without that, you're simply jockeying for "best place to play multiplatform titles" which isn't exactly going to win you console wars.
3.) A streaming only box isn't going to get a big push from retailers- they make most of their money on disc based software still.
4.) This is the biggest one- Sony and Microsoft have a shit ton of "lock in" with PSN and Live. People have built up libraries they're not all that interested in "losing" by migrating to a competing console, nor their friends lists etc. Both next gen consoles are also expected to be fully backwards compatible with prior generations, meaning a massive, massive exclusive library Google isn't going to be able to compete with.

I'm not sure why launching a console makes any sense at all for Google, especially since although android itself is popular Google doesn't really have the brand loyalty that Apple does for their hardware. Most android phones/tablets/etc are samsung and similar, not Google's own hardware.

I'm going to jump on a few points here. Foremost, they don't need to win a console race. They don't even need to race a console race. The base of their gaming platform is going to be streaming subscriptions to various devices.

Nextly, I don't think retailers actually make that much off disc games. Nor the consoles. I think they only really make any money off the accessories like controllers and headsets and such.

And lastly, the thing about Google abandoning and killing things seems like more of a meme than a reality. They have a ton of stuff that goes nowhere. But focusing on only that seems absurd in the face of the massively successful services they've built. These giant companies all try different stuff that can go nowhere.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think more likely than not the hardware will be a controller and perhaps a thin client box. One or both of which might be optional in fact - they might support generic pads and touch interfaces. And that a big part of the marketing for the platform will in fact be that you 'don't need expensive hardware'.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Is the presumption that they'll be selling a game streaming subscription service? I wonder if there will be an option to make a one-time purchase to license a specific game (Onlive did this iirc).

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google no doubt has enough marketing money to make basically anything work so I guess look forward to this being a big thing

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Nope. Because anything google has 3rd party will be on the next Xbox or PS5. No way google is going to money hat a top tier AAA game studio unless they want angry gamers burning down their campus. I like what Xbox offers first party as well as Sony and Nintendo. None of those games are going to magically appear on whatever nonsense google is building.
Yet people were getting all excited over the rumour Sony was buying Take 2 yesterday. Plus Xbox live is on Android now so perhaps MS 1st party would be on this as well. MS doesn't seem to care where they sell there games anymore.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Is it really possible that Google would realease a traditional home console running on Android, and have all major publishers port their games to Android?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe by the dawn of next-gen, you'll be able to play every latest release on a $249 box. $399 and $499 next gen consoles are going to be burning up pushing 4k, while a $249 one could play the same games at 1440 and call it a day.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Well yes, a hardware device focussed on streaming and running relatively lightweight apps.

That's what I think will happen. It will be chiefly streaming, with possibly some simple downloadable games as well.

Couldnt hardware literally be something the size of a firestick and a controller put in a box?

Yes.

It's also possible their "console" could be the Chromecast that already exists, and the new hardware is simply a controller that links up to it.

Feb 10, 2018
You could run a lot of modern games in something that would fit in that box, as seen by the Switch. And you could get the rest via streaming.

It won't satisfy someone who wants the best visual fidelity but if it is $50 and plays some version of FIFA and Call of Duty that might be enough for a lot of more casual gamers.

Indeedly

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Hardware-wize, don't expect anything other than a new Chromecast and gamepad.

If anything else gets announce, treat that like a nice bonus.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
They'll announce a standalone headset similar to oculus quest and the launch details for project stream, along with something like a streamcast stick+controller bundle. Releasing pretty damn soon.

Last edited: