• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
A full blown console? Why would they want to do that? A cheap device that delivers whatever services they will launch for gaming makes more sense.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it that way.
It's cheap to me. And to a lot of others too; people buying super expensive PCs (money which, lets be frank, only helps with gaming, not other PC needs). Also, people that bought PS4 base AND Pro, like me.
Give us more options. Have a 499 option, but have a truly premium option too. And if 499 is expensive, 399 was expensive when PS4 was released too, or what? Inflation etc. Inflation adjusted, that 399 is 441 today, which is a few big macs from 499.

To the bolded: I'll tell you what $399 was: not cheap. At the time, you could have made the case that $399 wasn't expensive, that it was fairly average, sure. But you couldn't have argued that it was cheap. Cheap would have been anything south of $300, roughly.

From most people's perspective (including most hobbyists, not the hard core), price is never about tech. It's always about what feels right for the type of product you're buying, and about your financial means. If that was false, the PS3 would have been a smashing success from the get-go, and the Wii "2 GCs duct-taped together" would have failed spectacularly.

Obviously, if $500 for a gaming console is cheap to you, then it's cheap to you, no need to argue. I'm sure that the Neo-Geo was cheap to some people back in the day because it was the arcade at home. But let's not act like people just fork out 500 bucks for gaming consoles just like that. People on ERA might do so - heck, a good chunk of us own all consoles, though I don't. But ERA isn't a good barometer for what is and isn't cheap gaming hardware, even among people who would call themselves "gamers".

Last edited:

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An actual traditional gaming console would go a long way to legitimizing Google's entry into the market, even if it makes no financial sense for Google to do something like that. Just a streaming box makes the most sense to me, probably something like an Apple TV that comes with a controller instead of a remote.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
No one puts out quality games as consistently as Nintendo.
eh to me they are quality in the sense they aren't broken messes. They sure as hell can put me to sleep tho. Mario Odyssey and BOTW are the best games they have made in a long while and they have made games that come close since imo. Mario Maker 2 tho looks like the next must buy but then again it so I never have to bu another 2d mario on switch.

Id argue this gen Sony has had a better track record than Nintendo especially considering all the new IP used

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Exciting!!!

Potential console names:

Google Gamecast
G-Stick
G-Pod
Google Lance

I'm done here. lol

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again: physical media or bust.

Now that would leave me shocked. If they had a console with an actual disk drive and physical retail games. For some reason that strikes me as a wildest thing. Now that would show a big commitment. They don't have to do that, but the core of the core (us) would love it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Will be curious to see what unique things it will bring, if any. Also guessing that if they're going all-in, they'll secure some good exclusives, which I know annoys people, but you have to bring something you can't get anywhere else if you're going to compete.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If it's mostly just a streaming box, I still hope it has full access to download apps from the Google Play store. It also hopefully has a decent bit of power to run the Dolphin emulator.

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
If it's true that they have actually been working on the hardware for 3 years, then I can't imagine it beeing just a streaming box. I really hope Google will bring us the first taste of next generation consoles.

Feb 10, 2018
Google are not stupid, if they are going to convince people to play on there service and not the established other platforms, google know they better have some good reasons.
Unless there gunning for the crowd that play candy crush, but judging by there trailer that does not seem to be the case.
So with all this taken into account some exclusives are a must, and if they don't have many decent exclusives , then Google gaming will be a bit of a joke and some of the people there will be out of touch with what gamers want.

Feb 10, 2018
You sir should work for Google.

That's nice of you to say.
But your words may be premature, while I would like to see them launch a next gen console first and shake up the industry, have Sony and ms on damage control, but hardware is nothing without games, so they would need to have some steller exclusives and first party.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
That's nice of you to say.
But your words may be premature, while I would like to see them launch a next gen console first and shake up the industry, have Sony and ms on damage control, but hardware is nothing without games, so they would need to have some steller exclusives and first party.
I agree with that and It's hard for me to believe that they are making a proper console not a streaming box.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I have to assume they did their homework and know very well a streaming box with local android support wont cut it.
So I bet it'll be alot more compelling that just that.

Feb 8, 2018
I could easily see Google aiming for MS and offering a traditional console with a streaming aspect similar to Gamepass except with moneyhatted exclusives.

Not too sure about that. You can play MS games on Xbox, PC, potentially switch. If their goal is to bring them to as many platforms as possible then yeah, but if they want to keep Xbox and PC as main devices then I doubt it.
Edit: you prolly didn't mean google wants gamepass. sorry.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
No matter what they show, they have to show games with it. they can't just parade up a bunch of developers promising great things.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
If they really are working with Sega to bring back a few old IPs, I say the rumor should be that Google has licensed the name and they're making the Dreamcast 2.

edit: And one of the old IPs needs to be Segagaga, so they can name it Segagaga Googoo.

saltybeagle

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
If they really are working with Sega to bring back a few old IPs, I say the rumor should be that Google has licensed the name and they're making the Dreamcast 2.

edit: And one of the old IPs needs to be Segagaga, so they can name it Segagaga Googoo.

Yeah nothing like naming your product as the sequel to a failed console that is only revered in the most niche corners of the internet.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah nothing like naming your product as the sequel to a failed console that is only revered in the most niche corners of the internet.
Yeah, you're probably right. It's been long enough they could just call it the Dreamcast.

Note: I'm not being serious, I'm just bummed that the long tradition of every new console rumor being jokingly called the Dreamcast 2 has past.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There are possibilities other than "Chromecast with Bluetooth controller support" and "direct PlayStation/Xbox competitor." It could be a higher spec set top box like a recent Nvidia Shield TV if Google's streaming solution is one that runs certain things locally to improve latency.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There are possibilities other than "Chromecast with Bluetooth controller support" and "direct PlayStation/Xbox competitor." It could be a higher spec set top box like a recent Nvidia Shield TV if Google's streaming solution is one that runs certain things locally to improve latency.
Or it could be something completely different - a stand-alone VR gaming device similar to Oculus Quest, for example.

Oct 28, 2017
Also a good guess. A thin client handheld to stream to with a switch like dock.

I imagine this thing is going to be positioned as a service as much as a traditional hardware platform so the "handheld" could be an option to steam it to laptops or tablets/phones. People thinking about this too much in traditional console mindsets, I think.

There is solid tech behind the Pixel brand but it's not optimized for gaming. I think I this will be a high power dock for their pixel brand:

Google Sensal

Or

Google Vector

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Now that would leave me shocked. If they had a console with an actual disk drive and physical retail games. For some reason that strikes me as a wildest thing. Now that would show a big commitment. They don't have to do that, but the core of the core (us) would love it.

Yeah, now that would be an actual gaming console and it would show that Google is serious.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unless you buried your head in the sand for the last few months you'd probably already know this... What you might not have known is that they poached Richard Marks, genius level hardware PhD, from Sony I think last year or maybe even a little earlier pretty much assuring that it's hardware.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless you buried your head in the sand for the last few months you'd probably already know this... What you might not have known is that they poached Richard Marks, genius level hardware PhD, from Sony I think last year or maybe even a little earlier pretty much assuring that it's hardware.

There is no hardware they have just announced it