• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071720/google-android-foldables-fragmentation-displays

Google is officially announcing support for a category of Android devices it's decided to call "Foldables." Speaking today at the Android Developer Summit, VP of engineering Dave Burke said that Google is "enhancing Android to take advantage of this new form factor with as little work as necessary."

Nov_07_2018_14_31_38.1541618716.gif

Samsung demonstrated a prototype device during its developer conference today, and dimmed the lights to protect elements of the design. Nevertheless, Samsung showed a device that folded out into a tablet and back up into a candybar-like form factor. The device includes a cover display that acts as a phone, and a main 7.3-inch tablet display.

Google is also officially supporting these new foldable devices with Android, and it's working closely with Samsung for the launch of this phone next year. Google is providing guidance for developers to start using existing features that are built into Android to support these foldable displays.

Mar 3, 2018
NOTE : For anyone saying its too chunky; it was mentioned that the body is the prototype meant to hide the final design. Their folding display tech is 40% thinner than current Samsung displays.

Just announced a few moments ago at their developer conference. It was mentioned they are ready to go into mass-production within the next few months.

Personally very excited for this, as it will be amazing for reading comics when im on the subway .

Nov_07_2018_14_31_38.1541618716.gif

Verge Article

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18072514/samsung-foldable-phone-screen-features-photos-sdc-2018

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and yet Apple will still be unquestionably in control of the market despite this

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For a first gen it looks good! I'm looking forward to seeing how this concept evolves in a few years.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I need to see a video of the folding, I'm not really picturing how it folds based on those before and after pics.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll check it out when Apple copies them in 5 years and invents folding.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
OP, you should make that sentence about the body not being the final design bold and underline it... there will be several posts about it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I need to see a video of the folding, I'm not really picturing how it folds based on those before and after picks.
I think it folds in half. So the left half of the tablet folds behind the right half.

Similar to this gif.

royole_flexpai_2.gif

Edit: Ohhh, it folds the other way. That's pretty neat.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in, this seems awesome. way easier than carrying a phone and tablet around. Gonna feel like Tony Stark using that thing.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
and yet Apple will still be unquestionably in control of the market despite this
Eh, it's undeniable that Apple are a highly influential company in the smartphone space, but Samsung sell a lot more phones than they do, and it's not like they haven't pioneered a decent number of now-widespread smartphone features themselves.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I get that it's just a prototype but the size of the screen when it's folded is super fucking tiny.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung continuing to be the leading edge of hardware innovation!

I am due for an upgrade so very curious how this pans out.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking finally happening YAAAAAAAAS. I've been holding on buying a phone for 3 years so far in anticipation for this shit. No fucks given, I'll be an early adopter

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that isn't even the folded screen, it's a screen on the outer part of the "tablet".

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like how they dim the lights to "protect" elements of the design. I know why I dim the lights in the bedroom.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Too thick to get excited about but new tech has to start somewhere. Cool!

edit: welp didn't read the note in the OP. But that's sort of silly -- just show us the product when it's ready!

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, that gif is different from what I expected from the still images in the other thread.
That's basically a foldable screen and a screen on the outside... I thought this was a single panel.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Too thick to get excited about but new tech has to start somewhere. Cool!

The reason it's thick is because they mentioned the design is not final so there's a case around the screen. I'm guessing in the coming months it's going to have its own unveiling event.

Either way I'm so down for this. This will be a nice upgrade from an s8+.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Does not look great. They should've released some press photos so we can get a better view.

Why does the screen turn off when he folds it? The effect would seem a lot more neat if the screen stayed on.