• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When one screen is folded into halves, and you have an extra screen on the outside, you've effectively stacked 3 screens onto a phone-sized device.

Im only speaking in reference to the size and weight of the thing.
But it's not folded into separate halves it is effectively one screen. Like a piece of paper?

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, see we are going for the "make excuses for the guy that bit off more than they can chew" route again.
Ah I see we're going the "change subjects because I'm purposely arguing in bad faith" route again. If Apple wanted to release a regular Qi charger like you imply, they could have. Their version would be far more advanced than anything on the market, but you already knew that right?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are kidding themselves if they don't believe Apple is working on this.
Oh I'm sure Apple is chomping at the bit trying to figure it out, they aren't really known for hardware innovation especially screens but they have raised their R&D budgets so it's likely they will figure it out one day.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I see we're going the "change subjects because I'm purposely arguing in bad faith" route again. If Apple wanted to release a regular Qi charger like you imply, they could have. Their version would be far more advanced than anything on the market, but you already knew that right?

What's a far more advanced Qi charger exactly?

Is it like the Pixel 3 one where Google locks fast wireless charging to their $80 dock?

Aktlys

Oct 27, 2017
It does have one on the inside part.

maxresdefault.jpg
That thing bends...
Samsung actually folds.
Samsung tech is actually impressive.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Apple to invent this new category next year-ish.
Oh I'm sure Apple is chomping at the bit trying to figure it out, they aren't really known for hardware innovation especially screens but they have raised their R&D budgets so it's likely they will figure it out one day.

I'm not sure why the idea behind this has been echoed a few times in the thread. We already know Apple patented what is largely the same design two years ago: http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09485862&IDKey=07E99B8FE975 &HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26p=1%26u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26co1=AND%26d=PTXT%26s1=9,485,862%26OS=9,485,862%26RS=9,485,862

And although the foldable phone design may have been discarded or altered since the patent was filed (indeed, many additional foldable phone patents have been filed for since that one), it wouldn't be very surprising for an iPhone with a very similar design to be released.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is it like the Pixel 3 one where Google locks fast wireless charging to their $80 dock?
Oh they already did that, the Apple watch broke the Qi charging standard with their own proprietary changes. What they want is a device that can charge 3 devices at once with larger charging areas. Kind of like this from Samsung:

Samsung-Wireless-Charger-Duo.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

Currently, all Qi chargers need precise placement for induction charging to kick in. As well as needing separate coils per device charging. So for example, a current Qi charger that can charge three devices need those devices placed on the exact targets for charging to take place.

The Air Power presumably not only allows for three devices to charge simultaneously, but to be placed anywhere on the mat. Which again, no device on the market currently does or allow.
Oh they already did that, the Apple watch broke the Qi charging standard with their own proprietary changes. What they want is a device that can charge 3 devices at once with larger charging areas. Kind of like this from Samsung:

Samsung-Wireless-Charger-Duo.jpg

Not at all like the Air Power since you're still restricted where you can place the devices. Read above.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Can't help but be impressed by the tech. Don't need it in a phone, but cool nonetheless. I can't help but wonder how I'd like this used for TVs.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung and Google bringing the innovation this time, looks awesome
Samsung's always bringing innovation. The vast majority of changes to Android in the past few years happened because Google decided to implement things Samsung added.

As for this specific device, I'll stick to my flat slabs of glass for the foreseeable future; not interested in these things until they get down to Note 8/9 levels of thinness once folded*.

*Yes, I'm well aware that they disguised the device for this conference.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Currently, all Qi chargers need precise placement for induction charging to kick in. As well as needing separate coils per device charging. So for example, a current Qi charger that can charge three devices need those devices placed on the exact targets for charging to take place.

The Air Power presumably not only allows for three devices to charge simultaneously, but to be placed anywhere on the mat. Which again, no device on the market currently does or allow.

Oh yea, I remember that now. That seems more like a limitation with physics with the current way the coils work with Qi but I'm not an mechanical engineer so it's just speculation on my part.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Samsung's always bringing innovation. The vast majority of changes to Android in the past few years happened because Google decided to implement things Samsung added.

As for this specific device, I'll stick to my flat slabs of glass for the foreseeable future; not interested in these things until they get down to Note 8/9 levels of thinness once folded*.

*Yes, I'm well aware that they disguised the device for this conference.
Yeah this tech will grow with time, 'cheap' ones will be very useful in a few years

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, I remember that now. That seems more like a limitation with physics with the current way the coils work with Qi but I'm not an mechanical engineer so it's just speculation on my part.
Basically, they are trying to use the Qi charging standard for a way it wasn't intended.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Basically, they are trying to use the Qi charging standard for a way it wasn't intended.

Well best of luck to them lol

Anyways, I wonder which of 4 displays they showed are the ones that will have in screen fingerprint reading and in screen front facing camera/speakers. Seems like Samsung has a lot of new tech in the pipeline in regards to displays for phones.

The tablet screen looks 4:3, meaning lots of unused screen when watching videos in tablet mode.

I do think this is why they already talked about the ability to have 3 apps running simultaneously. Since they have more screen real estate, but it isn't in a widescreen format, that space might be best used for something else. Otherwise you'll have a 16:9 video centered up and black bars on the top and bottom.

Hops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain.
this looks like absolute shit. i guess they are still polishing the design but not a good first impression for me personally.

and I am not an Apple fan or any stupid shit like that.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Very cool tech. But I'm sure this will just sell due to it's novelty, kinda like 3D TVs a few years back.

I will always prefer a large iPad Pro with a phone than a large tablet that can fold into a phone that will still be too large in phone mode but then probably too small in tablet mode.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think this is why they already talked about the ability to have 3 apps running simultaneously. Since they have more screen real estate, but it isn't in a widescreen format, that space might be best used for something else. Otherwise you'll have a 16:9 video centered up and black bars on the top and bottom.
Yeah, the other thread showed the cool stuff like this off a bit better I think. The active multitasking looks really good, sets the new standard on that front and hopefully google brings it into Android fully.

International or US domestic?
I don't think Apple has had the global market in a long long time

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Folding is much more preferred than bending.

But I am not interested in prototypes. Show me a product that is intended to be consumer-grade, or wait until you have one.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Very cool tech. But I'm sure this will just sell due to it's novelty, kinda like 3D TVs a few years back.

I will always prefer a large iPad Pro with a phone than a large tablet that can fold into a phone that will still be too large in phone mode but then probably too small in tablet mode.
Eh.... imagine an iPad Pro, that you can bend and split the screen, basically making it a binder. You get one screen on front for a cover, and then 2 separate screen to have 2 pages, much like a book.

Getting Technology that better replicates paper, effectively disrupts the need for paper. As we head towards a paperless world, this is a godsend, and the applications of this technology can really put a final step in overtaking paper. Plus, even for something like a iPhone, it means you would be able to fold your iPhone, making it smaller much like a wallet.

It being foldable, will eventually mean that more places will be foldable as the tech progresses as well. Imagine a display in which you can fold the display in whatever way you want. It really is a huge leap in phone and tablet technology.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017

Not at all like the Air Power since you're still restricted where you can place the devices. Read above.

You can charge pretty much any device that is Qi-enabled by simply placing it on the back of Huawei's new Mate 20 pro. It has reverse charging. How's that for innovation? Maybe Apple will invent this too in a few years?

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know there are images of the device, I'm not blind, nor were I being 100% literal. But none of the images or video clips really show it in any decent detail.
Because the box around is a shroud to hide from corporate espionage. What is being shown off is that the foldable works and is smooth .

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Folding is much more preferred than bending.

But I am not interested in prototypes. Show me a product that is intended to be consumer-grade, or wait until you have one.

This was shown at a dev conference alongside announcing the SDK update for the 2 screen setup. They're getting devs in early so apps are ready for when the consumer version is shown/sold next year,

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah eventually there will be a lot of these.
I mean its nicer to browse era on a 8-10 inch screen the a 5-6 inch screen.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was shown at a dev conference alongside announcing the SDK update for the 2 screen setup. They're getting devs in early so apps are ready for when the consumer version is shown/sold next year,
Yep, they said mass production starts next month