• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
You can charge pretty much any device that is Qi-enabled by simply placing it on the back of Huawei's new Mate 20 pro. It has reverse charging. How's that for innovation? Maybe Apple will invent time his too in a few years?
That's pretty cool! Not something I'd use since I'd probably want to preserve my battery life but pretty cool nontheless.

But why the aggression? Can't we talk and get excited about tech without these snide tribalistic remarks? It really projects a lot of insecurity from you.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see, is that just because it's a "new" device type, and as such there's less established design norm?
More like it's cutting edge tech and they don't want companies like Apple, xiaomi, Huawei etc trying to rip the design off. Corporate espionage is huge, we saw Apple do the same thing with the iPhone 4 when an engineer lost it in a bar it had a fake case on it to look like an iPhone 3gs.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Mass production will start in a few months. Looks like this will be the Galaxy 11 though I think it would be prudent to use a totally different brand name because there will be imaging bugs.

I'll get it but the inherent lag touchwiz has even after adjusting developer settings is rough.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The bulk could also be to simulate there being more folding than there actually is. If the phone is thick enough and mechanically "snaps" shut, there could just be a fairly thick fold in the screen that you now perceie to be a pretty tight hinge.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass production will start in a few months. Looks like this will be the Galaxy 11 though I think it would be prudent to use a totally different brand name because there will be imaging bugs.

I'll get it but the inherent lag touchwiz has even after adjusting developer settings is rough.
It's called One UI, before that it was Samsung experience. Touchwiz hasn't been a thing for a while now and samsungs OEM skins are incredibly useful. Not sure the last time you used one though

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Totally down with this in like 5 years when the technology matures. Love the idea of it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I'm ready for the future.

Got a feeling that Samsung is gonna kill it straight away with gen 1. First impressions count, so they're taking their time I reckon (technology wise).

For the time being the s8+ is my dream phone, but I can see myself upgrade to this when it comes out. Tablet + phone in one.

Hm thinking about it. How are batteries going to work though :/

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it.

The folding thing just looks like an engineering feat to sell even more expensive phones. It doesn't seem to elegantly resolve any design issues present in current phones. It really reminds me of wacky Y2K-era design misfires from the early 2000s, before we landed on the iphone. Even a gimmick like the Sidekick resolved the problem with texting on phones at the time, albeit in an overdesigned way.

Of course there's a certain cool factor to a folding screen that they're trying to capitalize on here, but it really looks like a solution in search of a problem.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it.

The folding thing just looks like an engineering feat to sell even more expensive phones. It doesn't seem to elegantly resolve any design issues present in current phones. It really reminds me of wacky Y2K-era design misfires from the early 2000s, before we landed on the iphone. Even a gimmick like the Sidekick resolved the problem with texting on phones at the time, albeit in an overdesigned way.

Of course there's a certain cool factor to a folding screen that they're trying to capitalize on here, but it really looks like a solution in search of a problem.
I think there's plenty of things this tech can do, but I'm certain sure that *phones* are the right place for it. They're pretty fucking mature in terms of how people like to use them.

I'd rather have a mid-sized tablet that can become a bigger tablet than a smartphone that can become a small tablet, if that makes any sense.

Or - even more likely - it'll allow device categories that don't really exist right now.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
That looks pretty cool and hopefully the tech improves quickly to slim it down. I'm going to guess that Apple won't release a similar device until the form factor can be very close to what we have now for plus sized phones.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who want foldable screens to lead to further miniaturization of phones rather than ever-increasing screen sizes? The last ten years of ever growing phone sizes is getting completely out of control.

I would love to have a phone that can fold up into the size of a credit card. Doubt I'll ever see that from Samsung.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Neat I guess, but how is this a "new category"? Its still phones, tablets and wearables. Being bendy doesn't change what they are. Is bezel-less a "category" too? Maybe it is, what do I know. I don't even use my phone.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I like this starktech type stuff. And that's a blocky prototype? If this thing looks good I'll hop in when the price is down in G2

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not insecure just tired of Apple's hyperbole.
Most people are, their sales are going down it's why they raise prices to maintain income flow. It also explains why they are not reporting iOS device sales any longer. Even the XR sales are markedly down from expectations. Apple needs a big new thing badly.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neat I guess, but how is this a "new category"? Its still phones, tablets and wearables. Being bendy doesn't change what they are. Is bezel-less a "category" too? Maybe it is, what do I know. I don't even use my phone.

...what? Comparing being able to fold your tablet to whether they have a bezel or not is insane.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Most people are, their sales are going down it's why they raise prices to maintain income flow. It also explains why they are not reporting iOS device sales any longer. Even the XR sales are markedly down from expectations. Apple needs a big new thing badly.
Samsung have the aces in their pocket, but we all know they'll sell up to Apple so it won't be long.

Oct 26, 2017

"New category" is likely the term being used to cover up the fact that it probably isn't as good at certain things as a phone and tablet purchased separately while still costing more than both combined.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, they'll sell it better than anyone else.
Oh for sure they have a strong following that eats up anything they put out. My verrryyyy Apple fanboyish friend said today about the folding phone "wow looks great, I'll wait for the Apple version though where it's refined to perfection." He's still waiting on the Apple version of Google assistant :p

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It looks a lot better than the wallet thing we saw last week. Still don't see much in the way of practical use, but the design is better than I expected.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
To be fair, they'll sell it better than anyone else.
Not in unit sales they won't.

https://indianexpress.com/article/t...rket-declines-6-per-cent-q3-2018-idc-5435785/

"Of the smartphone makers, the IDC report states that Samsung shipped 72.2 million smartphone units, representing a 13.4 per cent decline from its Q3 2017 results. The top ranking could be attributed to Galaxy Note 9 sales"

"Meanwhile, Apple ranks third, with 13.2 per cent market share of total smartphone shipments, or 46.9 million iPhone units."

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of people being concerned about a screen protector, surely the idea is that being a clamshell it's not going to get shagged in our pocket like your regular phone does. The screen is only open while you're using it.

Not in unit sales they won't.

https://indianexpress.com/article/t...rket-declines-6-per-cent-q3-2018-idc-5435785/

"Of the smartphone makers, the IDC report states that Samsung shipped 72.2 million smartphone units, representing a 13.4 per cent decline from its Q3 2017 results. The top ranking could be attributed to Galaxy Note 9 sales"

"Meanwhile, Apple ranks third, with 13.2 per cent market share of total smartphone shipments, or 46.9 million iPhone units."
They don't care about unit sales, they care about money. Who makes the most profit?

I'll add, I don't buy anything Apple. Can't stand their stuff after getting a Macbook air moons ago.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Really high praise coming from you :p
Daayyuuummmmm

I mean, it's hard to see in that gif, it's clearly not folding flush, but it's way closer than I expected, and being 'taller' rather than more square like that fugly mess last week was helps a lot.

Once it closes perfectly like a DS, which may take a couple of years, I could see me biting just to see if it has a use case for me.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daayyuuummmmm

I mean, it's hard to see in that gif, it's clearly not folding flush, but it's way closer than I expected, and being 'taller' rather than more square like that fugly mess last week was helps a lot.

Once it closes perfectly like a DS, which may take a couple of years, I could see me biting just to see if it has a use case for me.
I'd wait for the full reveal too, this was a fake shell around it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Will buy three years from now when Samsung goes ham and creates an Exynos X processor to power this thing with their new battery tech.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you ask me we need to go farther with foldable phones. I want one I can fold several times till its a tiny little cube.