• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why we need more younger members of congress. These people are ill equipped to handle the tech challenges of our time.

I have a lot of peers who are smart people that are just as uninformed about technology as my dad. The only real difference is that they know how to work snapchat

As the use of technology continues to become simpler, the necessity of knowing how it works is reduced. I would bet the average 90s kid knows more about how computers work than a kid coming up today.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why we need more younger members of congress. These people are ill equipped to handle the tech challenges of our time.

There's a lot of younger people who have clue how things work. Hell we still have people on this site that think apps like Facebook are constantly listening in on you or don't understand how podcasts are distributed.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair members of congress don't need to have an incredibly detailed understanding of every facet of how complex units work whether it is the Android OS or every function inside an oil rig.

But when you bring in the CEO to probe and you ask them why your granddaughter's phone games had a picture of your face in the ads then you aren't asking a hard hitting question you are just showing your ass.

Anyone with even a basic understanding of internet services would know it is because you have been searching the shit out of yourself on your home network and you are a public figure, dumbass.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of younger people who have clue how things work. Hell we still have people on this site that think apps like Facebook are constantly listening in on you or don't understand how podcasts are distributed.

I'd still trust those people more than I trust Lindsay Graham, who literally has never sent an email.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Rep. Gaetz: Have you conducted an investigation into the political views of your employees.

This is bonkers. What CEO in his/her right mind would launch an investigation into their employees political views?!

Wow, what a fucking idiot. I would have probably responded that would
Rep. Gaetz: Have you conducted an investigation into the political views of your employees.

This is bonkers. What CEO in his/her right mind would launch an investigation into their employees political views?!

Sweet Tittyfucking Jesus, that's terrifying.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rep Ted Lieu laying down some heat:

But then Lieu pivoted — pulling out his smartphone for a search in real-time — and entered King's name into Google.
King, who was sitting across the room on the powerful House panel, became visibly perturbed.​
"I'm going to change one word. So I'm going to search for 'Congressman Steve King,' I'm going to hit the 'news' tab. First article that pops up is from ABC News," Lieu said. "It says Steve King's racist immigration talk prompts calls for congressional censure. That's a negative article. But you don't have a group of people at Google thinking and trying to modify search results — every time Steve King comes up, a negative article appears, that's not what's happening, right?"​
Pichai again said no, reiterating that Google does not manipulate results for individuals like that.​
"So let me just conclude here by stating the obvious," Lieu responded. "If you want positive search results, do positive things. If you don't want negative search results, don't do negative things."​
"And to some of my colleagues across the aisle, if you're getting bad press articles and bad search results, don't blame Google or Facebook or Twitter, consider blaming yourself," he added.​

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-hearing-congress-ted-lieu-steve-king-2018-12

Timestamped Vid here:

Last edited:

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I wanna watch this but I'm at work still. Any more interesting or cringy bits? Why the hell do they want Google employee info?

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna watch this but I'm at work still. Any more interesting or cringy bits? Why the hell do they want Google employee info?

They're trying to show Google has political bias in their algorithm for search results

This is a dog and pony show for the conservatives as a way to try and tear down tech giants (for the wrong reasons). Reporting showed this is in fact not the case but they're dying on that sword. I saw a chyron that said as such "Google: Political Bias?" and then a video clip of the testimony above it.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
To be fair members of congress don't need to have an incredibly detailed understanding of every facet of how complex units work whether it is the Android OS or every function inside an oil rig.

But when you bring in the CEO to probe and you ask them why your granddaughter's phone games had a picture of your face in the ads then you aren't asking a hard hitting question you are just showing your ass.

Anyone with even a basic understanding of internet services would know it is because you have been searching the shit out of yourself on your home network and you are a public figure, dumbass.
almost no one knows this, come on. people are amazed "omg i was talking about some product and it showed up on my ads!" nevermind that its far more likely that they searched it and forgot about it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
almost no one knows this, come on. people are amazed "omg i was talking about some product and it showed up on my ads!" nevermind that its far more likely that they searched it and forgot about it.
To be clear by basic understanding of internet services I was talking from a technical and/or legislative point of view. Not general consumer.

Also by this point I was annoyed I spent my whole lunch listening to old dudes rattle their canes at the internet man so was a bit punchier than maybe was necessary.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
In a way, the policy wonks underneath are aiming to do just this with upcoming privacy legislation. But you are absolutely correct, they clearly don't know how to ask the right questions, and seems like they are unwilling to listen to facts either.
That's because they don't care about that. The right had been claiming victim hood for 30+ years to anyone who will listen. If you let the right tell it, the main stream media are these oppressive monoliths and Fox News and the vast array of right wing talk radio are really just scrappy little under dogs. Fox and the right wing news agencies like clear channel ARE the main stream media. The right just doesn't like that there's a company out there that isn't buckling to them the way news networks have, you know, to be fair.

Reticon6

Banned
Oct 19, 2018
10,000m under surface level
UU90JLF.png

642443-monopoly.jpg

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

More than that, we need people who actually know how technology works and is developed in Congress.

I know it's the cool thing to hate on technocrats right now (which is mostly deserved), but we at least need a few in Congress, preferably left-leaning ones. Or we at need people who are/were technology professionals.