• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Google has essentially abandoned its Daydream virtual reality platform. The company confirmed to The Verge that the new Pixel 4 phone won't support Daydream, and Google told Variety and The Verge that it will also no longer sell the Daydream View mobile headset. It will continue to support the app — which only works on older phones — for existing users.

"There hasn't been the broad consumer or developer adoption we had hoped, and we've seen decreasing usage over time of the Daydream View headset," a spokesperson said.
Source

Bodes very well for the future of Stadia, huh. That thing better be a success day 1 if people want it to last more than 2 years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Killing a platform, no matter how dead it was, right before launching another kinda-related platform, is a hilariously bad move

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
killedbygoogle.com

Killed by Google

Killed by Google is the open source list of dead Google products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Google.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is a monumental fuck-up from a marketing perspective. Stadia team is probably bonkers right now

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I can't remember hearing a peep about this after the initial announcement. I'm surprised it survived as long as it did.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Stadia would been a PERFECT MATCH for Stadia. Imagine full blown VR games streaming to your phone. No wires, no PC.

Unless they're planning to revamp Daydream entirely, this was a bad move.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. I really liked my Daydream headset.

To me it was the most convenient way to use VR for non-gaming purposes.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember hearing a peep about this after the initial announcement. I'm surprised it survived as long as it did.

To their credit they did revise the headset after it got some criticism and quite a few solid apps were released, but it wasn't anything you couldn't get on better platforms on PC, console, or a standalone headset.

Hulu even killed their daydream app and no new phones have supported it, so I can't really blame Google for killing it, but I'm gonna miss it a lot.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia would been a PERFECT MATCH for Stadia. Imagine full blown VR games streaming to your phone. No wires, no PC.

Unless they're planning to revamp Daydream entirely, this was a bad move.

The phone headset had no external tracking aside from a Bluetooth remote and rotation on the headset (though I found it worked well for what it was). Not really well suited to something like Beat Saber.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly did not know this existed. At the very least I know about Stadia, though I'm less than confident in it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
That's a shame but the writing was on the wall when the much more popular Gear VR stopped getting support earlier. Kind of amazing how little of a dent Daydream could muster. I know quite some companies who had high hopes going in. On the other hand Google also made no effort making their headset available outside of the US, so it was in this weird place for most of its life.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This forum needs an official "Stadia shitposting" thread. The amount of discussion about it in unrelated threads is nuts.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Never trust a new Google product or service, and especially don't give Google money for a new product or service.

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Daydream. It was a step above Cardboard and a massive step down from even the most basic of high-end VR headsets (like the PSVR).

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
> Releases a new phone that has a 90Hz screen
> Kills VR support

Yep, that's Google.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Stadia is cloud related so it's in-grained in tech Google is in on for the long haul not to mention Stadia is getting 20x the marketing Day dream ever did.

All that said, you can pretty much guarantee half the services (maybe more?) Google ever introduces will either be canned, re-named, or replaced by another incredibly similar service.

detrenvi

Jan 14, 2018
This stings particularly because the Pixel 4 are the first phones from Google that have a great VR display with that 90Hz refresh rate. VR at 60Hz is just not a good experience. Even if the flicker doesn't bother you, the entire experience has this somewhat "digital" feel to the tracking and motion.

I was hoping they'd use these 90Hz screens to do a relaunch of Daydream and give it another go. With GearVR and Daydream both dead, it looks like the weight of pushing VR is solely on the shoulders of dedicated hardware now.Thats naturally where the best experience is had no question, but it's a shame these absurdly powerful phones with sophisticated displays can't bring the experience downstream anymore.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It's worth noting that the Daydream numbers were BEYOND dreadful. They had an exclusive by Supermassive with less than 500 downloads on the Play Store. Completely untenable numbers for any sort of platform, really. The mobile VR market was already shrinking by the time they got there.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that the Daydream numbers were BEYOND dreadful. They had an exclusive by Supermassive with less than 500 downloads on the Play Store. Completely untenable numbers for any sort of platform, really. The mobile VR market was already shrinking by the time they got there.

Is it any good? I really liked my headset, but finding content worth paying for or playing was always a chore.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
To be honest, even I immediately thought of Stadia, and I use a pixel phone (and liked GPM until they started discussing killing it off), oh and also Hangouts.

I see another thing I forgot google killed every time I scroll back to the top to read...

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Don't you dare, I love GPM.
i couldve not been extremely disappointed with it if they actually figured out student pricing schemes in canada and bothered trying to match spotify and apple musics library. its a rip of a service when spotify exists and does everything infinitely better, between what i mentioned, having a usable UI and having a desktop app as well
im just mad at myself for having been subscribed to it for so long. google has lost my support

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have Cardboard, Gear VR and a Daydream viewer.

This stuff really hurts. But this was abandoned about a year ago. All the low-level VR is dead, right as it was finally accessible.
A lot of it started with the Galaxy S6, but it was pushing the device too hard. You'd get a few minutes in before the device overheated. Now that's powerful enough to be good, it's dead.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
PSP, Vita = crappy AAA first party support on PS5 confirmed!
?
I feel like you thought this post was smart.

But surely you see the difference between platforms not having support from third parties and not having support from the creators, right? One is Sony the other is Google.