• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cuss out your employer, that'll be a solid career move down the road.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
well he's right, other than search they never had any successful products that weren't bought or pushed by their dominant market position (mail, maps, chrome). hell, even their major (and only) revenue stream has either been stolen (adwords) or aquired (adsense).

Google Voice (Grand Central)
Mobile Ads (AdMob)
Display Advertising (DoubleClick)
Adwords (stolen from Overture, their original and shitty model was to sell keywords for a flat fee )
Adsense (Applied Semantics)
Google Analytics (Urchin)
reCAPTCHA (Carnegie Mellon)
Android
YouTube
Blogger
Waze

In fact, even in areas they should have been leading such as cloud computing, they lost to Microsoft and are stuck in 3rd place.

It's hilarious really.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an amazing article. Hammering home a 'we practically live in a cyberpunk future' vibe for me.

Imagine reading something like this from the future say 20 years ago - heck, even 10. It would be like "what".

Haven't reached the end yet - interested to see why exactly Grab is so special.

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea what Grab was until it hit me; somebody in India had been using my email address for Grab purchases and I was getting like 20 of those receipts a day for weeks.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I want to take a moment to just enjoy Steve Yegge's beautiful turn of phrase:

"But regardless of how I envisioned the Grim Reaper catching up with me, I always assumed he'd be hauling me in surrounded by colorful furniture and slightly entitled geniuses."

He could have said "I always thought I'd die at Google" instead, but no. I could never have said it so prettily. I'm ok with writers like Ta Nehisi Coates wrecking me but an engineer? Damn you Steve!!!

Ok, back to reading.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This guy's constant characterization of the entire SEA market as super homogeneous pretty borderline racist IMO. Also this comment killed me:

LsfoUxli_o.png

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
When many or most of these huge, corporate identities acquire enough economic clout to be classified as their own country, the need to push new boundaries and lead creative thinking, eventually ceases to be their main focus
To be fair they are all pragmatic about such things and good intentions never look as good as profits to shareholders.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
He has a follow-up, btw:

https://medium.com/@steve.yegge/google-doesnt-necessarily-need-innovation-95cea96d0eeb

I found this bit uniquely relevant here:
Similarly, you may not remember, but Microsoft created the XBox as a response to the Playstation, which was looming as an existential threat to Microsoft's business. If every household had a Playstation, and it became their window into the online world, then the PC would be obsoleted, or so their thinking went at the time. It wasn't a guaranteed outcome, but it was dangerous enough to warrant a competitive response from Microsoft. They executed really well and achieved dominance for years, right up until that dumbass VP (what was his name?) ruined everything at E3 a couple years ago, by doing everything I accused Google of recently: Losing touch with their customers, being arrogant, and launching something nobody wanted. Now Microsoft is on the bottom again in that space, struggling to catch up.

This bit is typical "white dude goes to Asia once and comes back with life-changing revelations"
Some people have responded negatively to my post's tone, because we Westerners (especially in the tech industry) are pretty jaded. My post was a reflection of the experience I had last week in Jakarta, which is a world so different as to be almost something out of the movies. Unless you've been there yourself, it's hard to appreciate how big this disruptor is.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
My take is that the dude is basically right, and you can nitpick his argument or roll your eyes at his enthusiasm for grab, but it really doesn't matter.

What he said didn't rely on special insider knowledge, we've all see Google's output decline. We were all here for Google + and them shutting down newsgroups and so on.

And he's also right about Bezos taking risks. We all knew that too.

Basically, this guy is just organizing a bunch of things we already knew, showing us the patterns, offering extremely reasonable analysis then going on a full on hard-on for Grab, trying to poach as many of his Googler coworkers. Fair enough. I'll allow it!

Both pieces were good reads.