• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Google as a technology company have every right to enter the games market and attempt to sell their wares in a similar or different way to Sony, MS or Nintendo.

Knowing how Google chooses to make money and operate as a company though means they'll have to put forward a much stronger proposition than the big 3 because I just don't trust them to not track my activity, feed me ads or pull their services when they're not profitable.

Right now they've got a lot of money but zero credibility (in gaming) they better use that money well

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question for those who have stated it, why is "shaking up the console market" more important than ethics?
It is a faulty argument in this case from the many examples provided.

The fact that your wrote this post from either a smartphone or a PC means you have accepted the exploration of workers (or at least block it from your mind), so the high ground becomes lost.

Google is bad because of X reason, but whatever platform you are using is ok because of Y

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned that people think Google is worst than Microsoft, Sony, EA, Activision, etc.

Like all public companies, the only thing any of them care about is the bottom line. Google is just another company. None of them want to be your friend or care about you as a consumer other than your money.
It's pretty funny. I'm fairly certain you don't get to be a multi billion dollar company by doing things the average ethical person would approve of. I guess we give a pass to the ones already in the game, though.

I personally don't want them entering the market for reasons others have stated as far as splitting things up further if they were to do a console. If it was for ethical reasons, like a lot of other products and services, I guess I'd have to go without? It's all tainted.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if anyone tried to enter the console market we would get this exact same thread no matter what. We should always question the ethics of big tech but to me the questions of ethics seem like a smokescreen for gamers who just don't want another corporation in the console space.

Like I don't understand what's ultimately the point here. If you don't like Google, don't buy this. It's not like the big three are going away anytime soon. At the same time buying another console isn't going to make you a patron saint so I don't get what you're trying to say.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if anyone tried to enter the console market we would get this exact same thread no matter what. We should always question the ethics of big tech but to me the questions of ethics seem like a smokescreen for gamers who just don't want another corporation in the console space.

Like I don't understand what's ultimately the point here. If you don't like Google, don't buy this. It's not like the big three are going away anytime soon. At the same time buying another console isn't going to make you a patron saint so I don't get what you're trying to say.

That was my argument since Microsoft entered console gaming...didn't work :P

(for the record I only have a PS4 atm, but I show it the same loyalty that I do my toaster due to the aforementioned fact that they are all corporations that do not give a single f#ck about you)

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Right now they've got a lot of money but zero credibility (in gaming) they better use that money well

Hopefully paying employees and developers in gaming much higher wages than other studios/companies. Everyone I know that works at Google has nothing but great things to say about it. Would be nice to see some of their pay and work/life balance bleed into gaming.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I actively try to avoid using their products as much as possible, but Google always finds a way back into my daily life. In that regard, they are way worse than any other megacorp and, as the OP says, more evil in general. They are like a parasite that keeps spreading, and I honestly believe that a company this big, this powerful, this influential and with such a track record of being pure evil should not be allowed to legally exist and operate.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited at the idea of "new" anything in the gaming world. Not just for competition causing us to get better practices from the companies we already have... but because in order to be competitive Google will have to manage to pull out some worthwhile exclusive titles to make people look at them. Otherwise it needs an amazing gimmick. And no gimmick makes up for a lack of games.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has been a lot of talk and inexplicable excitement over the prospect of Google entering the home console race (whether as a traditional console or a streaming device) recently. That excitement is severely misplaced. No one should be rooting for Google to enter and succeed in the console market. As a company they are too large and suffer from countless ethical issues that far outstrip the Big Four (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam) in both quantity and severity. Lets take a look.

1. Google, through YouTube, continually fails to get a handle on extremist content and child exploitation.
2. Google refuses to remove app in Saudi Arabia that lets husbands and fathers tract the movement of their wives and daughters.
3. Google actively worked/works on a censored search engine for the Chinese government.
4. Google treats their contractor employees like shit.
5. Google continually faces anti-trust action in the European Union.
6. Google quickly kills off products and services that don't meet its expectations. Imagine how many devs this could hurt if Google does the same to its gaming branch?
7. Google is extremely pernicious and voracious with the collection of data and tracking of users across the internet.
8. Google's work in China is benefiting the Chinese military.
9. Google is working on military drone and AI programs.

So I ask, do we really want a company like Google to enter the gaming sphere and be successful? Every company in the gaming sphere has had their share of issues, but none have come close to the near-corporatocratic despotic bullshit Google regularly pulls. Even the other tech giant, Microsoft, doesn't do shit like this (even if they had to learn to fear the rod with their anti-trust loss in 2001).

Its clear that Google will only hurt the gaming industry in the long run, either by being successful and infecting the industry with their unethical practices, or by dragging out their exit long enough to hurt developers and rip off consumers.

You could have created a similar thread on microsoft when it entered the market. Until you actually see what they bring to market, I think we should hold judgement till then. It's not a both sides or denial answer.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I've never had a problem with Google but some of those points in OP definitely raises some eyebrows, I am almost certain I will have zero interest in their gaming platform as I am currently very happy with the state of gaming and have enuff games as it is.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious as to what companies ResetEra actually think are "good" companies. Some of the items in OP are very normal corporate practices (i.e. who thinks contractors are equal to full-time employees?). Do you really believe Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are any better than Google? Also, it's really nice to ignore all of the great things that Google does for their employees and does for product development as well.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
OP: Google is a morally corrupt company and should not be supported on principal

Gamers: I agree because I think their games will be bad. Don't care about the other stuff tho

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's true that Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, and Google are all ass. And you have got to be using them in some extent.

Face it. Our whole consumer lifestyle is disgusting.

That doesn't mean it's not important to stand up for things. It's more important than ever, really. Don't fight because you will win, fight because it is right.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Market disruption in a healthy growing market is good. Why not wait to see what is offered before taking a stance?

I'm not telling anyone to deal with what corporations get away with based on writing their own laws. I fully support your decisions to stay away from smart devices, social media, Youtube, etc. I just think it's pretty interesting how people pick and choose. People who use Google stuff all the time aren't speaking out against them until they're competing with your favorite gaming company. Use Microsoft products all the time but they're the devil when they compete by buying devs away from your favorite gaming company.

It's these inconsistent values that expose the fact that most consumers in this forum railing against one corporation or another aren't doing it for the goodness of the industry. They're doing it for their tribal allegiance to a particular brand.

All corporations are only loyal to their investors. Legally in the United States, they have to be. Over their employees and customers. Understanding that, the best thing for both consumers and employees in an industry is to have competition. It's the only thing to keep everyone with an eye on profits honest.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
I dont see how google can be bad for the market, if they are bad, they will die like sega

only scenario where they would actually hurt the market is if they start to buy out publishers/ Studios to lock IPs on their machine (and if the rumors are true, Sony is already doing this with Take-Two)

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I dont see how google can be bad for the market, if they are bad, they will die like sega

only scenario where they would actually hurt the market is if they start to buy out publishers/ Studios to lock IPs on their machine (and if the rumors are true, Sony is already doing this with Take-Two)
Sony already deconfirmed that, it was ridiculous to begin with

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Because the people running Youtube are totally in charge of the Google console and that means Alex Jones will make a game or something.

No, they'll just make gaybashing games and rape simulators, like the one that steam only removed under massive protest. A google console will likely be like Steam, just even worse when it comes to content like this, because Google has even less care about basic ethics and is too big to be pressured by normal people. With Steam, people at least can push them enough to pull the rape shit temporarily.

Don't act as if we don't have this stuff in gaming when we can already see a platform where it thrives. There's no reason to believe a google one would be better. It'd be worse, as youtube shows.

Google is uniquely terrible for content that spreads really, really horrible stuff. Google is the most important vector for stuff like gamergate, is one of the biggest boons for the alt-right, and is a very important part of spreading stuff like Qanon and even *flat eartherism*. We've had several studies now where we could directly see that the algorhythm google uses *directly* causes this content to proliferate, and google hasn't doing shit for years (and they could! Easily! Look at the Captain Marvel situation, all youtube had to do was putting "news"-related videos over "engagement"-metrically pushed videos, and suddenly youtube's video pushing wasn't biased towards hard-right content anymore).

The only company that is worse for this kind of thing is friggin Facebook, a company that has enabled an actual genocide in real life. Google's that bad. And with how absolutely awful large parts of gaming are, how companies like THQ court them, do you really think google'd be suddenly be better?

Last edited:

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
People like ALWAYS forget that NO ONE IS FORCING A GUN to your head and saying buy it. If a game you like is on it and you don't like it. Well jeez how about just skipping it and not buying it. You will survive. When people don't like something they vote with their wallets, its the most logical thing to do. I just don't get all this crying and moaning about this.

I may sound rude but come on people jesus f christ. Grow a spine and vote with your wallets folk.
/end of rant
I don't even know what to say at this pathetic comment
912accb5_picard-facepalm.png

OP, you made great points here, yet some people still insists HURR DURR COMPETITION IS GOOD this is depressing. COMPETITION IS GOOD when it's such a vile company as google and COMPETITION IS GOOD when it's Epic with its spying software, weak store that just added search option and no option to confirm your email. Guess what, just received newsetter from epic. Never made an account here, because I'm not playing on pc at all. UHHHHH COMPETITION IS GREAT!
And look, I won't be so pissed if it wasn't googles console, but less shady company! Mad Box? I'm fine with it!

And yeah, like, everyone can afford yet another console. "simply pass on the games exclusive to google" what the hell is this "argument" It boggles my mind, really. I'm a very picky gamer and have only several favorite devs. They like exclusivity deals. I simply don't have enough space and money to spend it on yet another stupid box. Jesus, people, this stuff is way more expensive in my country than in US. And I need some games not only to have fun, but for reference and inspiration, since I'm a game developer.
And Google itself is so uneven, I don't know what they will do if their console won't sell. Look, Google (and several other companies) is interested in a game we're pouring our hearts into. Exclusivity deal. We're PRAYING with co-workers that someone else will pick our game up. We don't want this game to be wasted on this console, when the future of it is so uncertain. Not with a thing I treat as a passion project.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I didn't know half of that shit OP. Here's hoping it doesn't work and the blowback is small? Ugh.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
No, they'll just make gaybashing games and rape simulators, like the one that steam only removed under massive protest. A google console will likely be like Steam, just even worse when it comes to content like this, because Google has even less care about basic ethics and is too big to be pressured by normal people. With Steam, people at least can push them enough to pull the rape shit temporarily.

Don't act as if we don't have this stuff in gaming when we can already see a platform where it thrives. There's no reason to believe a google one would be better. It'd be worse, as youtube shows.

Yep! Between the almost uniquely trash environment that is the google play game store and the absolute crap that is the Youtube promotion system, I don't have any optimism for any part of this to be good. That's even assuming Google gives enough of a shit to let this grow beyond their setup for the Android marketplace. Others have already mentioned the fate of Reader, Orkut, Buzz, G+, etc.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Disagree, I welcome a new competitor to shake up things. It does feel a bit stagnated with the Sony/MS/Nintendo trifecta for like 15 years.

If I see it has exclusive games I'm interested and is appealing to me, I'll buy it. If not, then I wont. Simple as that.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The only bad thing that might happen is moneyhatting the 3rd party publishers. Instead of multiplatform game we will get a google console exclusive (same thing did Microsoft and now, Epic Store). Besides this, i do not see anything bad.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
This thread is based on a assumption that Google is making hardware platform with a separate ecosystem. If they are just doing a streaming service (from what I saw this is exactly what's happening), none of the points are valid.

Feb 10, 2018
As always the market will decide.
Googles silicon Valley new age mentality and minimalist marketing won't faze gamers, look what happend with the xbox one + ps3 launches.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has nothing to do with gaming, but you can add this to your file :

Google has hired Chris Poole, the founder and former owner of the controversial Internet community 4chan. The hire was first announced by Poole himself, and later confirmed by Bradley Horowitz, who is heading Google's social efforts.

"I can't wait to contribute my own experience from a dozen years of building online communities, and to begin the next chapter of my career at such an incredible company," Poole wrote in a blog post Monday.

https://variety.com/2016/digital/news/google-hires-4chan-founder-chris-poole-moot-1201724308/

Last edited:

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Google will kill it itself anyway. I'm a huge user of Google services but this thing whatever it will be is DOA to me.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Like it or not, the future of gaming is streaming.

The companies that dominate cloud computing have a very good chance of dominating gaming.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This thread reads eerily similar to the hot takes I read when MS first entered the industry.

Kremling

The Fallen
Dec 15, 2017
I can't wait for all the exclusives the Google console will have. Competition is healthy for video games! Hopefully they snag up some third-party games that would have been multi-platform.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I don't even know what to say at this pathetic comment
912accb5_picard-facepalm.png

OP, you made great points here, yet some people still insists HURR DURR COMPETITION IS GOOD this is depressing. COMPETITION IS GOOD when it's such a vile company as google and COMPETITION IS GOOD when it's Epic with its spying software, weak store that just added search option and no option to confirm your email. Guess what, just received newsetter from epic. Never made an account here, because I'm not playing on pc at all. UHHHHH COMPETITION IS GREAT!
And look, I won't be so pissed if it wasn't googles console, but less shady company! Mad Box? I'm fine with it!

And yeah, like, everyone can afford yet another console. "simply pass on the games exclusive to google" what the hell is this "argument" It boggles my mind, really. I'm a very picky gamer and have only several favorite devs. They like exclusivity deals. I simply don't have enough space and money to spend it on yet another stupid box. Jesus, people, this stuff is way more expensive in my country than in US. And I need some games not only to have fun, but for reference and inspiration, since I'm a game developer.
And Google itself is so uneven, I don't know what they will do if their console won't sell. Look, Google (and several other companies) is interested in a game we're pouring our hearts into. Exclusivity deal. We're PRAYING with co-workers that someone else will pick our game up. We don't want this game to be wasted on this console, when the future of it is so uncertain. Not with a thing I treat as a passion project.

The beauty of competition, even from bad actors is that it highlights their bad actions.

Consumers then vote, with their wallets, for competitors that don't engage in those negative actions.

For reference review what happened when MS led their Xbox one launch on the basis of the TV revolution and daily check-ins, those two features are now things that all platform owners are more reticent to try all because a competitor tried and failed.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
You could have created a similar thread on microsoft when it entered the market. Until you actually see what they bring to market, I think we should hold judgement till then. It's not a both sides or denial answer.
But.. but it's clear google will only hurt the industry...

Sigh. OP sorry but you aren't even trying to make a discussion here, you have already made up your mind and everyone who disagree with you is in denial or doesn't care about ethics.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The beauty of competition, even from bad actors is that it highlights their bad actions.

Consumers then vote, with their wallets, for competitors that don't engage in those negative actions.

For reference review what happened when MS led their Xbox one launch on the basis of the TV revolution and daily check-ins, those two features are now things that all platform owners are more reticent to try all because a competitor tried and failed.

Microsoft backtracking on Xbox One has shit to do with competition and all to do with customers anger.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. The last thing I will do is buy a Google console. But I also doubt they will provide anything that interests me.

Personally, in the long run I hope we are coming to a similar situation as with TVs. Hardware with universal compatibility, provided by a variety of companies, with a focus on software. I look forward to the day when the tech gets to a good enough place, and stagnates, so that all focus can be on software.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's true that Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, and Google are all ass. And you have got to be using them in some extent.

Sony is a smaller company than those you mentions but otherwise completely in line with these. Sony was one of the first companies who put spyware on users PCs to check and block if someone is pirating music.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I am tired of ANY company trying to get their grubby hands on a piece of the gaming pie, without actually adding to the pie itself as well.

You want a foothold in the gaming business? Bring your own developed games. No bought exclusivity deals. Thats not "adding" to the pie.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly before you write such nonsense just look at Google Play. It's moderated much stricter than Steam. You could even argue it is moderated to strict. Anyway you will not find such games there.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Or, it could be the best thing for games and game devs for reasons unknown at this time. I mean, the internet is a terrible place but I love online gaming. Guess we'll see lol

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
3-9 mostly apply to Microsoft as well. Most of these giant companies have some really shitty practices, known and unknown.

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Totally agree with OP. Sure, competition is good. Sony needs a kick in the butt, Microsoft needs to wake up, Nintendo is doing quite well again with the Switch. I'm all for another competitor shaking things up, but I'm not sure if Google should be the one to do it. In the end, Google is a company that deals in personal data. Be it for advertising or for other purposes. For sure whatever they will announce, the core business will be users paying with their personal data.