• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has been a lot of talk and inexplicable excitement over the prospect of Google entering the home console race (whether as a traditional console or a streaming device) recently. That excitement is severely misplaced. No one should be rooting for Google to enter and succeed in the console market. As a company they are too large and suffer from countless ethical issues that far outstrip the Big Four (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Steam) in both quantity and severity. Lets take a look.

1. Google, through YouTube, continually fails to get a handle on extremist content and child exploitation.
2. Google refuses to remove app in Saudi Arabia that lets husbands and fathers tract the movement of their wives and daughters.
3. Google actively worked/works on a censored search engine for the Chinese government.
4. Google treats their contractor employees like shit.
5. Google continually faces anti-trust action in the European Union.
6. Google quickly kills off products and services that don't meet its expectations. Imagine how many devs this could hurt if Google does the same to its gaming branch?
7. Google is extremely pernicious and voracious with the collection of data and tracking of users across the internet.
8. Google's work in China is benefiting the Chinese military.
9. Google is working on military drone and AI programs.

So I ask, do we really want a company like Google to enter the gaming sphere and be successful? Every company in the gaming sphere has had their share of issues, but none have come close to the near-corporatocratic despotic bullshit Google regularly pulls. Even the other tech giant, Microsoft, doesn't do shit like this (even if they had to learn to fear the rod with their anti-trust loss in 2001).

Its clear that Google will only hurt the gaming industry in the long run, either by being successful and infecting the industry with their unethical practices, or by dragging out their exit long enough to hurt developers and rip off consumers.

Nov 23, 2017
I agree, and to see the denial and both sides bs in that one thread about this (that I recall you also being in right? Maybe not) was pretty infuriating.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
"Its clear that Google will only hurt the gaming industry in the long run, either by being successful and infecting the industry with their unethical practices, or by dragging out their exit long enough to hurt developers and rip off consumers."

It really doesn't seem clear and both of those what-ifs are stretches at best.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You might dislike Google for a plethora of reasons but it's too early to make this call. We don't know anything about what they'll announce in a few days.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
While I completely agree with you google is an ethical mess at best, I'm unsure if that converts directly to their gaming branch, since who knows how it'll be run.

As for google overall? Yeah, it's a bit of a yikes.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
"There is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism"

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm not really sure how anything you listed is bad for gaming consumers or the gaming industry.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
My biggest fear with a Google Console is them moneyhatting exclusives and then cancelling the whole thing if it doesn't take off. Especially if it's streaming only.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
So I ask, do we really want a company like Google to enter the gaming sphere and be successful?
as much fun as it may be to pretend gamers arent this secret order that can dictate what billion dollar companies can do lol

"Its clear that Google will only hurt the gaming industry in the long run, either by being successful and infecting the industry with their unethical practices, or by dragging out their exit long enough to hurt developers and rip off consumers."

It really doesn't seem clear and both of those what-ifs are stretches at best.

Jan 2, 2018
Let us wait and see. I think it's way to early for that and I don't have that many problems with the company as you apparently do. I'm deep into the Google ecosystem and if they really create a good console and treat it like their Pixel-line of smartphones, I could like it.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, zero arguments with you. Google as a company is trash, and I avoid their products and will continue to do so to the extent possible.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
having tried the stream beta for a while I can say the tech works, I'll be interested to see what they come out with

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fucking tired of Google and their digital monopoly. I'll not support this shit.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Agreed 100%. Google is one of the most harmful companies we have atm. I won't be supporting them and the laundry list of reasons in the OP is just scratching the surface.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good thing they aren't entering the home console race. You all are freaking out too much over OnLive 2.0.

Google's half-baked and half-hearted approach to new technologies almost goes to prove they won't pull the trigger on a real console. They don't have the stomach for that kind of investment.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The only real issue that could arise from this is them purchasing exclusives or timed exclusives. But even with that it's not going to have any catastrophic effect on the videogame industry.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the attitude was like when Microsoft was making a console?

Like I have big, big problems with big tech but can we wait til the thing is revealed before making these arguments?

Nov 23, 2017
as much fun as it may be to pretend gamers arent this secret order that can dictate what billion dollar companies can do lol

But when people talk about things you agree are unethical, you probably say vote with your wallet to end that harmful practice or product, right? Seems fairly contradictory to be told that umpteen times but then also see posts like this, no?

Oct 25, 2017
Am I excited about a company entering gaming that can't stop bombarding me with racist fucking ads on a kids video on YouTube or filling my recommendations with trash?

No, not even close. And since gaming's got plenty of issues like that, I expect Google to handle all of that in absolutely the worst way possible whenever such issues do arise.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
People really just want an uproot in the game industry. Really. We have been in the same positions platform-wise since I was old enough to game. A major shakeup will be very interesting, and it will drive MS and Sony to provide better services in various ways(Nintendo will always Nintendo as always, for better or for worse). I am not exactly rooting for Google, but it is extremely interesting where they will take things. However, let's take a look at this from another perspective. What if Google Succeeds and brings a lot more people into the gaming industry? Or if they are competing with Xcloud, would that not make MS go to great lengths to do it better?

There is no doubt that Google needs to be reigned in, in some form or another. That will have to happen via our governments. I really agree with you that they are a pretty nefarious company as well.

However, their technology with streaming has seriously impressed me. And it is going to be interesting where they will go from here. A shakeup like this will provide better competition from the rest of the console manufacturers though. Which I could argue is a good thing.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Derailing thread, trolling
Nah I welcome the competition, Sony has an effective monopoly on gaming at this point and some disruption is badly needed

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure I want another tech giant to be more of a driving force in another market. Google/Alphabet, Amazon, Facebook... thanks, but no thanks
full

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a joke to see people with the wait and see bullshit. Your criticism is about the company as a whole. We know what google is about already, there's nothing to really wait for. They'll be the same company in two weeks that they are today.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nah I welcome the competition, Sony has an effective monopoly on gaming at this point and some disruption is badly needed

Definitely not true.

They are currently a market leader, but that doesn't in itself mean they have a monopoly of the industry. Sony doesn't command even close to what would be considered a monopoly of the gaming industry.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
You raise some good points.

I guess it says a lot about me as a person that I'm still excited/curious to see what they have to offer.

I realize I'm very lucky/privileged to feel this way and I try and give back as much as I can in my day to day life. Obviously the things you mentioned are way more important than video games at the end of the day.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I say enter the market. More competition is better. :)

Even if I don't trust Google with my info.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
Competition is good.

Can't let these companies have a monopoly on gaming, so I welcome newcomers.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I rather that Google enter the market as a new developer than a console producer. Because i fear dark dark times for gaming.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Google. How I wish that I could avoid your products. (I can't afford an IPhone so I'm stuck, thanks Windows phone :/ Never using chrome tho! I use bing at work!! )

Hopefully the disruption they cause in gaming is minimal.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
My problem with Google is they seem to half ass or outright drop initiatives once they run into technical issues. I mean look at this for Google Fiber:
https://arstechnica.com/information...-shoddy-installs-left-exposed-wires-in-roads/

And do I need to mention what happened to Orkut, Google groups and any other effort to make a Facebook competitor? So I'm excited to see what they bring but not expecting them to stick around for long if it's not a runaway success right off the gate.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I agree OP. Google is nothing but trouble and it clearly needs to be broken up.