• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Today I learned that people think Google is worst than Microsoft, Sony, EA, Activision, etc.

Like all public companies, the only thing any of them care about is the bottom line. Google is just another company. None of them want to be your friend or care about you as a consumer other than your money.
This

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see how people can be upset about this. Google is just disrupting the console market. More competition is good for all consumers.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah not so comfortable with Google entering the console space (would be the same with Amazon) buying exclusives away from other consoles is not what I want, losing ownership rights (games cost £40 -£50 each for AA unlike music and films.)

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
All these are just companies guys! They all just function so some old dudes can buy yachts and send their children to "volunteer" in Africa for the the likes. Let them fight.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I really don't see how people can be upset about this. Google is just disrupting the console market. More competition is good for all consumers.
Sometimes it feels like everyone is fueled by negativity. There are definitely issues worth discussing but it feels like people don't even want to give them a chance.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure I felt the same when Sony entered the gaming market with the then-called PSX (PS One) console. If I got my way back then I would have missed out on a lot of fantastic games.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have ethical issues over every electronics company including Microsoft for poor working conditions of chip manufacturers and child labour in the mines that produce the metals for those chips. But I'm not going to stop playing my PlayStation, Xbox or Switch... Just as I'm not turning vegan. Technically this makes me an awful human, but it makes us all awful humans.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it feels like everyone is fueled by negativity. There are definitely issues worth discussing but it feels like people don't even want to give them a chance.

I didn't want Microsoft to enter the market 18 long years ago. I thought the were the most Uncool company you could find with a history of trying to build monopoly's. But with good people like Seamus Blackley and Kevin Bachus behind it, their intentions were noble in the end. I was wrong.

I want to see what they want to offer the public, doubt I'll buy it though.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I didn't want Microsoft to enter the market 18 long years ago. I thought the were the most Uncool company you could find with a history of trying to build monopoly's. But with good people like Seamus Blackley and Kevin Bachus behind it, their intentions were noble in the end. I was wrong.

I want to see what they want to offer the public, doubt I'll buy it though.
Same. I'll probably only ever play on PC from this point forward but things like this always get me excited anyway. I like games.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I dont trust Google one bit coming into the industry. In fact, looking at your post, two things are evident.

1) They probably dont give a F about the industry.

2) Whats the angle their playing here? They have market domination in most of the world in cellphones, internet search engine, youtube areas etc.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If they are successful it means their shit is solid. No harm in that.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it depends on the kind of changes that Google can bring to the console market. For instance, a Google console that offers free online multiplayer could help console gamers reclaim free online after all three console makers started charging for it.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
As I spend a crap ton with them on the advertising side and data side - I have zero trust in them as a company. As a person who helps provide their bread and butter revenue, they treat everyone like crap ... and I can not see that behavior changing for "customers" that spend only $100 a year.

All of the OPs statements are on point and very fair.

I really hope people don't even give Google the time of day for their announcement. I know I won't. Not that you have to since their PR engine will be in full swing and we will hear how Google Gaming is the next best thing since the light-bulb.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Today I learned that people think Google is worst than Microsoft, Sony, EA, Activision, etc.

Like all public companies, the only thing any of them care about is the bottom line. Google is just another company. None of them want to be your friend or care about you as a consumer other than your money.

And yet, there are differences in both their practices and control over larger industries. Sony doesn't own the number 1 video hosting site, search engine, GPS tracking software, and a large portion of phone OS market.

The concerns of Google entering and dominating another space that they can infect with their practices is concerning.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Doesn't Microsoft tick about half of the examples given about Google? Faced anti-trust action, windows 10 telemetry/privacy concerns, works with the military, and just this morning there was something about them potentially being involved with Chinese surveillance. And yet people still game with them.

Google being a player in gaming doesn't bother me. It will either be a great experience or a (probably) half assed one based on my past experiences with them.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
People said this kind of stuff back in the day when Microsoft entered the industry. Personally, I'm OK.

If they have good things to do, that will be great, if they don't, that should be reflected on the sales and general standing within the industry. If they aren't reflected in sales, well, that means they will be doing something most users accept.

Also, I imagine most people here shitting on Google don't use their products, surely...?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How far are we really going to go with all of this? Rockstar has been known to work many hours, same with Naughty Dog. EA was known to not pay overtime. Activision is laying off a ton of people. Shady deals happen all the time, just look at what's going on with Epic store or the game console practices that poach developers to make exclusive games or exclusive content. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is it's an entertainment business. So you either enjoy the games or you don't. Of course we can complain but what do anyone of them really owe us? Once you start down the cynical road and focus on these things daily then perhpas it's time to simply give up the hobby.

Oct 25, 2017

This is an incredibly horrible attempt at strawmanning the OP.
None of these other companies partake in the same use of data that Google does, nor do they consistently handwave hateful and racist content on their platforms, and so forth.
Yes, all companies do care about the bottom line, that's literally a basic function of capitalism, but you can care about making a quick buck while also not being responsible for the myriad of shit Google is.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

"Everyone is the same and nothing matters" is exactly the bullshit mentality that has enabled corporations and governments to get away with blatant destruction of rights and morals.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, there are differences in both their practices and control over larger industries. Sony doesn't own the number 1 video hosting site, search engine, GPS tracking software, and a large portion of phone OS market.

The concerns of Google entering and dominating another space that they can infect with their practices is concerning.
Exactly, Google is too large of a company.

Trying to compare it to the Microsoft of 18 years ago is disingenuous. It's a different world with different problems today.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I seriously doubt Google is going to make much of a splash here unless what they announce is simply a multi platform game publishing wing or streaming service.

The console market is already a crowded field. Google, like Microsoft before them have a lot to learn about how different supporting a walled garden console platform and game development is from other kinds of software and hardware initiatives.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018

I dont't disagree that there's been some exaggeration in the arguments against Google, but I'm equally not comfortable with a company that owns a monopoly in search, browser, maps, mobile OS and is a huge player in the voice assistant markets also acquiring a strong position in the gaming one. I don't want Gooogle to have even more of a hold over our personal lives, would much rather see Amazon and Apple disrupting the market than them.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
So the company that is allowing these alt-right fuckers to spread their propaganda on YouTube wants to create a gaming platform. What could go wrong?

Fuck Google.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
U5bbpiK.png

sebco

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Google Spring Cleaning 2021 when they decided to end support for game streaming...

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If you're gonna find fault with them, you need to stop using smart phones, computers, tvs, stereos and tablets because they contain elements that are attained from conflict areas. For reference, watch The Widow on Amazon Prime.

Live like the Amish if this kind of stuff bothers you.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

If that's what the market wants then so be it. People will speak with their wallet. It's not like you suddenly have less options. You have more options. Nintendo, Sony, and MS are still there.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I do not trust Google to properly support a console. It's probably just another means for them to collect data.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I have ethical issues over every electronics company including Microsoft for poor working conditions of chip manufacturers and child labour in the mines that produce the metals for those chips. But I'm not going to stop playing my PlayStation, Xbox or Switch... Just as I'm not turning vegan. Technically this makes me an awful human, but it makes us all awful humans.

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding the chip manufacturer's working conditions. However, I'm certain that the factories that made Microsoft's chips also make chips for every other console (without actually looking up which companies use which manufacturers). There are only a few cutting edge chip manufacturers in the world.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

????? Google absolutely is worse than Microsoft, Sony, etc. The others being big billion dollar companies that don't give a shit about you doesn't somehow make Google less bad. Google has far wider reach than any company in the video game industry, and they've shown time and again how unethical they are and how much they don't give a shit about it. And yes, people should absolutely be concerned about Google potentially entering the console market. Give them the benefit of the doubt if you wish (they really don't deserve it), but why would you think that one arm of their business would operate differently than any of the others?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If that's what the market wants then so be it. People will speak with their wallet. It's not like you suddenly have less options. You have more options. Nintendo, Sony, and MS are still there.

No, as this is the kind of thinking that leads to bad practices becoming the norm. Let's say that MS and Sony adopt the same practices that Google does to remain competitive, what are you going to do then? Stop playing video games?

There was a time when online services on consoles were free, then MS started charging for it, then Sony decided they wanted some of that pie too, and eventually Nintendo decided they wanted in on that "free" money as well. Voting with your wallet becomes meaningless when the competition all adopts the same practices.....

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
No, as this is the kind of thinking that leads to bad practices becoming the norm. Let's say that MS and Sony adopt the same practices that Google does to remain competitive, what are you going to do then? Stop playing video games?

There was a time when online services on consoles were free, then MS started charging for it, then Sony decided they wanted some of that pie too, and eventually Nintendo decided they wanted in on that "free" money as well. Voting with your wallet becomes meaningless when the competition all adopts the same practices.....

Such as? And yes, I can certainly stop playing new videogames if I don't like the way the market is headed. Just like I can not pay for online services if I don't want to. Speaking with your wallet actually does work. Look at Microsoft in 2014 vs the Microsoft we have now. They lost a ton of marketshare and had to course correct. Failed business models are the ones consumers overwhelmingly decide not to participate in, like Games for Windows Live. The gatekeeping isn't necessary. If people don't like what Google has to offer, it will fail just like dozens of other Google products and services. If it's successful then great, there's another gaming option for people that want that. It's not doom and gloom for the gaming industry.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
With the industry moving heavily towards multiplatform including PC, the only exclusives that are acceptable without incurring gamer wrath are 1st party, or tiny indie studios with just enough bandwidth for 1 platform. So what exactly is Google going to do? I can't imagine a scenario where I buy a box from them. I have an android phone. Theres your gaming revenue. A console box makes no sense IMO.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People said the same thing about Amazon and FireTV hardly set the world on fire and that's a company that has a great device track record unlike Google who has had many false starts outside of Search and web apps.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you think Google is a shorty company that's fine but none of those things you listed really have anything to do with how they would effect the video game industry.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont't disagree that there's been some exaggeration in the arguments against Google, but I'm equally not comfortable with a company that owns a monopoly in search, browser, maps, mobile OS and is a huge player in the voice assistant markets also acquiring a strong position in the gaming one. I don't want Gooogle to have even more of a hold over our personal lives, would much rather see Amazon and Apple disrupting the market than them.

Yet we're ok with one console provider who has total influence on third party?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop bringing up ethics when it comes to companies that provide consumer goods. Nobody is clean.
I disagree for a few reasons:

1) ethics is not binary. There is such a thing as cleaner or dirtier companies, to use your terms
2) consumers can pressure and drive companies' ethics through purchasing their products or not
3) that viewpoint leads to a slippery slope of "everyone's dirty, so it's fine if these people are dirtier." Change industries, think of how unethical the whole tobacco industry was...

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Google is a monalith but it's does not mean they will dominate if they enter gaming. What have Google dominate besides search engine and email? Smart home product? Nope. Smart phones? Nope. Social media? Nope. And the list goes on.

Now Amazon that's a diffrent story. I would fear Amazon even though I'm a prime member and love their service. But they are much better at entering a market and dominating.

Google would have given up after the Xbox one if they created Xbox.