• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
-No mods.
-No config tweaking.
-No reshade or any other graphical changes.
-No way to bypass bugs, you'll be forced to wait until developers fix them. If they ever do...
-No communities keeping games alive years after release by creating content for them.
-No using cheat engine to counter ugly balances in some single player games.
-No way to check/analize how games are made.
-No way to find secrets or things left on the files.
-No game conservation as we don't know if every game will be always available.
-No enough speed in most countries for this kind of streaming to work.
-No control whatsoever over any part of the games.

For example Skyrim wouldn't have survived so many years after release if Stadia was out back then, as no mods would've been released for it.

Google controls it all for you. Sorry but this is a massive no for me.

Pretty much this, I guess. From a consumer perspective, my reaction was a resounding meh - if this is the future, the future can suck it.

But it is new and shiny, so I'll certainly check it out.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this was already explained, can the controller be used on any controller supported games on the PC?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Sending basic controller inputs to the cloud does not require any large amount of bandwidth, and that's purely upload. A 1 Mbps upload rate is already overkill for simple controller inputs. Where are you getting this issue of interaction is an issue, your inputs are not being processed anywhere except in the cloud, and that's it. The only feedback you get is the video stream sent to you. People are not understanding how cloud compute works here.

It has nothing to do with the bandwidth of the inputs, it has to do with buffering etc. That doesn't ruin watching videos because videos are a static experience, add user input and now it's a total mess.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why should they when people are practically tripping over each other to defend it already?
There is literally no risk to consumers as you have nothing to purchase (assuming they offer demos). I'll take that a million times over buying a console based on hype and fanboy bullshit.

If it didn't work in your setup then no harm done

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
so was this just a bunch of snakeoil salesman bullshit? Like, what the hell. All of this streaming tech and no games. what a shitshow this reveal was.

Plus at least one more frame of input lag and possible microstuttering if you're using a multi-GPU setup, which you will have to do to get 4K60 as these things are using a GPU approximating a Vega 56. It's not going to be responsive. Not initially, anyway.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
People who see this and are still excited only like turn based games, right?
I spent a few weeks on Project Stream playing AC:O and encountered that kind of issue less frequently than I encounter full game crashes in Dead Cells on my PS4.

A more frequent issue was video artifacting, but again not to a degree that was really too frequent to ruin the overall experience.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming overlords incoming.

I need to finally try out PSNow. And this now that I have a more current pc config.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
my expectations are set for: out of touch tech company giving a poorly planned and executed keynote to show off overly ambitious tech that would only really work great in a place like SF. They'll aim it at mass market but have reveals from places that the hardcore/enthusiasts care about.

I think streaming is the future mind you, but the biggest market for it has shit infrastructure that's still gonna take like a decade to fix and todays announcements might sound a bit tone def to a lot of people.
Think my prediction was pretty damn close.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta love how the presenter said "Of course this means no cheating and no hacking", and in the very next phrase "we are going to support cross-platform play". How to completely void an argument in just 5 seconds.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
So was any of this shown on actual TV's? Because you know these streaming games are going to be compressed as hell and big TV's will easily show all the artifacts.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The pricing is completely unknown, it being bad and poor software would kill it before it gets going. If it's just getting mostly old games I don't think Sony, MS, Nintendo or the PC Storefront owners have to worry at all anytime soon.

You say that like peple only playing on consoles are used to solid 60 fps in all their games and better graphics.

If Stadia only gets multiplats for the next year, odds are it will be the best and cheapest way to play those games out of all platforms, nothing to scoff at.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a few weeks on Project Stream playing AC:O and encountered that kind of issue less frequently than I encounter full game crashes in Dead Cells on my PS4.

A more frequent issue was video artifacting, but again not to a degree that was really too frequent to ruin the overall experience.
so this is why you're up in here trying to excuse this presentation so bad lol

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
who is the most affected by this announcement?
1. Gamestop?
2. Sony/MS/Nintendo?
3. Local's tax administrations? (no clear legislations to collect on digital services)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
They've created a first party division. You can bet there will be exclusives.

Hoping it's just local development in that case, and not doing what MS and Sony have been doing the last decade, buying up exclusivity from otherwise 3rd party games. Especially with Google's war chest.

I don't mind if they start their own studio, like if Jade Raymond is heading up a local game dev studio there, but I'll be disappointed if they go out and ... buy 3rd party time based exclusivity or something. I hate it as it is, and don't want another company with the money to do the same.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally no risk to consumers as you have nothing to purchase (assuming they offer demos). I'll take that a million times over buying a console based on hype and fanboy bullshit.

If it didn't work in your setup then no harm done
Who buys consoles over hype, though? I don't buy them until there are enough games on the platform that I genuinely want to play. I didn't buy a PS4 or Switch until over a year into the lifecycle.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
People who see this and are still excited only like turn based games, right?
Ah yes, the 2 second gif that proves everything negative while actually proving nothing.

I've played OnLive, I've played PSNow, I've played Project Stream, I've even streamed my PS4 to my vita 2 states away and the thing that has effected me the least in all three is this lag boogieman. Image quality is the bigger issue.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I was not interested about streaming at all until I saw that Stadia will support 4K/60 and even 8K in the future.

I am playing at 4K for years now on the PC and I will not go back to 1080p for streaming.

I will wait for pricing, support from publishers/developers and availability in my country.

It will be another option that it will be useful in some cases. So yeah, why not?

I love some negatives comments about Stadia that will be true for any gaming streaming service. If not even worse for other services.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a misconception that needs to stop.

Netflix and static video streaming has luxury of being heavily optimized in lowering the data usage and also the buffering minutes of video in advance for total uninterrupted playback.

Real-time latency sensitive video game streams do not have any of those techniques to take advantage of.

Doubling the framerate (up from Netflix video at 24p or 30p) also doubles the amount of data footprint.
Yep. 4k streaming at 60fps uses around 7gb per hour. 1080p uses 3.1 gigs an hour at 60. At least for Netflix.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
After all the press people had hyped this up, this was significantly more undercooked than I thought. Feels like a product that has a very limited target audience and more likely to be abandoned by Google two years after launch.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I put this in the specific thread on the studio, but it looks like the Stadia first-party studio is going to be based in Munich?

There's job postings for producers in both Munich and Tokyo. The bulk of the Stadia tech work looks like it's being done in Mountain View as expected.

Where did you hear that? I'm in Munich, this is very interesting to me.

Oct 25, 2017
-No mods.
-No config tweaking.
-No reshade or any other graphical changes.
-No way to bypass bugs, you'll be forced to wait until developers fix them. If they ever do...
-No communities keeping games alive years after release by creating content for them.
-No using cheat engine to counter ugly balances in some single player games.
-No way to check/analize how games are made.
-No way to find secrets or things left on the files.
-No game conservation as we don't know if every game will be always available.
-No enough speed in most countries for this kind of streaming to work.
-No control whatsoever over any part of the games.

For example Skyrim wouldn't have survived so many years after release if Stadia was out back then, as no mods would've been released for it.

Google controls it all for you. Sorry but this is a massive no for me.
Yea pretty much. Theres some definitely value proposition of instant streaming of games, but I dont believe their are many PC gamers that would be interested in this.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the 2 second gif that proves everything negative while actually proving nothing.

I've played OnLive, I've played PSNow, I've played Project Stream, I've even streamed my PS4 to my vita 2 states away and the thing that has effected me the least in all three is this lag boogieman. Image quality is the bigger issue.
if you've played psnow without lag I have some questions

Oct 25, 2017
Streaming only box sounds like it might be a total mess. It might take off in some places but I can't imagine it working well everywhere.
Even when I am streaming within my local connection with 75 up / 75 down there are some days where I cant even get PS4 remote play to work properly. Latency is rarely the issue sometimes the connection either drops or my image goes straight 360p.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
By the way, ERA, whit its headline in the OT for the conference saying It's Thinking Again, lied to me.

I was expecting to see Yuji Naka in the scenario announcing his return to Sega and that he is working in a new game, because Dremacast was making a triumphant return. With Sega discarding Sonic as its brand image, and embracing Seaman. With Segata Sanshiro in some ridiculous and wacky video, riding a cloud like Son Goku.

And instead, what I got was a youtuber in a scenario, with an euphoric speech and resembling a second-hand car salesman.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Who buys consoles over hype, though? I don't buy them until there are enough games on the platform that I genuinely want to play. I didn't buy a PS4 or Switch until over a year into the lifecycle.
My point is you don't have to buy anything, try a game and if it lives up to the hype then great. Otherwise no harm done.

maddchickenz

Oct 27, 2017
So I am a decent user of Geforce Now and slight user of PSNow occasionally and I think there is a good side spot for this type of thing (especially if it connects to my accounts like Steam, etc), but my issue with this type of service where there is no alternative for local hardware is what happens with big games like Red Dead, Destiny, CoD, etc. Where those games will push their data centers to peak capacity, will they push me to non-regional data centers where performance will be much worse? And what will happens when client stacking doesn't work as intended and brown outs occur that affect the performance of others on the machines (which happens a lot in cloud computing, especially this variety).

And although I like the built in barrier of hacking, does also get rid of built in use of modding :/.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
So is this just a publicity stunt to say they were first?
This is GDC, not E3. It's for developers. They showed off the platform, the technology, the supported engines and studios already onboarding, and information for developers to get involved and start developing on it. This is what GDC is for. For Developers. At the Game Developers Conference.