• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
It's about the same latency as a local Xbox One X or PS4 Pro, according to the DF video. Slower than native PC, though. It's about ~40ms faster than the Project Stream beta, which I was very impressed by, especially for a beta.
I'm 99% sure the numbers DF had in that slide are all for streaming modes, i.e. the Xbox entry is you streaming your Xbone locally to PC. The PC entries are local streaming by steam link. The numbers make no sense otherwise. They should have been more specific.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
UqOukxn.jpg

Controller stand?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is GDC, not E3. It's for developers. They showed off the platform, the technology, the supported engines and studios already onboarding, and information for developers to get involved and start developing on it. This is what GDC is for. For Developers. At the Game Developers Conference.
It was a really bad presentation for developers, who are now left with vague ideas and promises but no knowledge about how they can make money or what kinds of games they can realistically make.

trippyturtle

Mar 11, 2019
It seems to be targeting a more mainstream audience who don't own consoles, and never will. If, however, there's someone who's thinking of buying a console, they're probably going to second-guess before buying a Stadia.

Google may be promising the best of what a console and PC have to offer, but in reality I doubt it'll be as satisfying as either for many of the reasons already mentioned.

Interesting to see how it'll compare to the Steam Machine.

Oct 30, 2017
The company with more money than god can't even get the damn reveal right. Google could do anything they wanted but instead make an always online Ouya.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
So is this just a publicity stunt to say they were first?

No clue. The majority of people I know game in some way and so far they're about as negative as I am about this thing. No idea who this device is really for even though they claim it's for everyone.

The whole presentation came across as a bunch of people who are clueless about gaming. Basically howdoyoudofellowkids.jpeg stretched over an entire hour.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ah yes, the 2 second gif that proves everything negative while actually proving nothing.

I've played OnLive, I've played PSNow, I've played Project Stream, I've even streamed my PS4 to my vita 2 states away and the thing that has effected me the least in all three is this lag boogieman. Image quality is the bigger issue.

You've really sold me by telling me about the other negatives

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
So, was watching the completely vague introduction vid for it, and is this is the target audience for Stadia?

ed270a526f7ddb5cb1eb59d817ff37b0.jpg

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So is this just a publicity stunt to say they were first?
First and only. Nobody else is making a streaming-only game console with exclusive games and its own development hardware. This isn't just a system to stream PC games, you have to build your game specifically for Stadia just like any other console. Even Assassin's Creed Odyssey had to be ported to Stadia, rather than just streaming the PC version.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
They should have shown off Stadia using RDR2. An extra second of latency on that game is basically negligible.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
-No mods.
-No config tweaking.
-No reshade or any other graphical changes.
-No way to bypass bugs, you'll be forced to wait until developers fix them. If they ever do...
-No communities keeping games alive years after release by creating content for them.
-No using cheat engine to counter ugly balances in some single player games.
-No way to check/analize how games are made.
-No way to find secrets or things left on the files.
-No game conservation as we don't know if every game will be always available.
-No enough speed in most countries for this kind of streaming to work.
-No control whatsoever over any part of the games.

So... publisher heaven then. They'll be all behind this. Watch as your favorite game just disappears forever whenever a publisher pulls the plug on it, with no way to ever replay it.

Though for mods, I'm assuming that developers with a bit of common sense will implement ways to make it happen while monetizing it at the same time.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in learning more. A lot of the concepts and ideas sound cool like using datacenters to pump out more grafix, StateShare, couch co-op and the ability to boot up a game from just a link while watching a streamer play. I'm curious to see how it all plays out. Plus another way for more people to get into games is always a good thing.

I still would like to know the pricing as I feel like this service could live or die by it., what kind of download speed would one need to be able to get the 'proper' experience out of this or at the very least what kind of download speed do I need to get even 1080p60 going? No exclusive games also leaves me very much on the fence though its not a complete deal breaker for me either.

If people hadn't already gotten to test drive it with Project Stream I'd be much more skeptical about the latency issues, so I'm not worried about that part of it if anyone could pull off low latency gaming at such high fidelity it would be Google.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
You say that like peple only playing on consoles are used to solid 60 fps in all their games and better graphics.

If Stadia only gets multiplats for the next year, odds are it will be the best and cheapest way to play those games out of all platforms, nothing to scoff at.
Again, there's not guarantee they'll get new releases fast or at all. If FIFA or CoD 2019 for example isn't on it, the possible improved performance doesn't matter.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The name is alright. I think it's pretty unobtrusive. It's not tryhard like "Xbox" was or wtf like "Wii" was.

The reason why Microsoft named their consoles "Xbox" was because the original one was based on their Direct X abstraction layer for for PC Game software easier to communicate with the hardware. i.e a box based on technology on Direct X, hence Xbox. Nothing tryhard about it.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
-No mods.
-No config tweaking.
-No reshade or any other graphical changes.
-No way to bypass bugs, you'll be forced to wait until developers fix them. If they ever do...
-No communities keeping games alive years after release by creating content for them.
-No using cheat engine to counter ugly balances in some single player games.
-No way to check/analize how games are made.
-No way to find secrets or things left on the files.
-No game conservation as we don't know if every game will be always available.
-No enough speed in most countries for this kind of streaming to work.
-No control whatsoever over any part of the games.

For example Skyrim wouldn't have survived so many years after release if Stadia was out back then, as no mods would've been released for it.

Google controls it all for you. Sorry but this is a massive no for me.

At least from what I've played of Nvidia's solution, you can still tweak you in-game settings like normal (since you're playing a steam game).

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
DF just released a video testing the latency and with it was on par with an Xbox one x at 1080p 60fps.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
If they have trials and demos, which surely they will, the great thing is that almost anyone can try it and see how well it works for them. As long as there is some trial period, you will know yourself how good it works for you.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that more than a second of lag. Not a very good result there.

The thing you have to consider though is the venue this is being demoed in. It's GDC where there's a lot of wireless networked devices being run. I wouldn't judge normal usage based on a convention center setting. That doesn't mean that lag won't be an issue but I wouldn't take this setting as proof of that either.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You started with image quality though and I think there's going to be a reasonable threshold on input latency that will be tolerable for most people that would have people on this forum pulling their hair out over. What we're going to learn with this is that the tolerance bar level is going to be a lot lower than people realize for the sake of convenience.

Image quality is much more important to games because you have to see incoming objects/characters/enemies, items you are searching for, etc. Especially playing on a smaller screen like a phone.

Im just saying just because people love doing the same for movies and TV does not mean that gaming through streaming will be received so fondly unless most the expected issues are ironed out. Convenience isn't going to make up for issues that make you want to stop playing the game you're streaming/take you out of the immersion.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Yesterday I was looking for the Young Sherlock Holmes movie from 1985. Not on Netflix nor Amazon Video in my country. I'm fucked.

So, well, I won't relinquish control on my lifelong hobby, thanks google.
Yep there are no other ways to buy movies than online downloads, not sure about where you are at but you can still find physical versions of things where I'm at. Also we have more than 2 options for digital downloads for movies and music. Even though I personally wouldn't be caught dead in this day and age with physical media.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Duder Comment's thread was right on the money, lol.

I need to hear more about pricing and revenue models (I'd definitely prefer a Netflix-style subscription). But I'd love to hear more about this in June.

For people insisting this "won't work well":
If you have <15mbps down: You're right.
If you have >20mbps down: Give it a try when it launches. You might be pleasantly surprised, as I was with the beta :)

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
question, what other companies also has streaming service announced this or last year?
microsot
nVidia? (is there any video when it announced?)
RAZER?

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
A service like this lives and dies with its back catalogue of games.

We saw Ubisoft (with one game), id (with one game that wasn't demoed) and some weird tech demos. Who's actually on board with this?

No one cares about back catalogues, they want to play new games. All the Switch ports in the world didn't sell that console.

I don't even see how this will appeal to existing console owners unless the prices are amazing.