• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Games will be free but you will get a couple ads every 20 min. Playing a multiplayer game you will watch boner medication and baby formula ads between matches.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Data caps are the issue for me tbh.

Not in a world with zero-rating bandwidth policies that isps use at times. If streaming platforms take off they will take a slice and allow it.

The real problems are going to be getting people the bandwidth they need and fixing routing issues on isps that don't place nice.

None of these are hard to solve especially if any of these companies want streaming to be viable alternative to typically pc, console or handheld gaming.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
https://schedule.gdconf.com/session/growing-your-gaming-business-with-ads-presented-by-google/865618
Growing Your Gaming Business with Ads (Presented by Google)
Sissie Hsiao (Vice President, Product Mobile Advertising, Google)
Developers of all sizes need scalable and easy-to-use solutions to take their gaming business to the next level. That's why Google is invested in providing tools that empower developers to gain a loyal fanbase and build sustainable revenue streams. Join the keynote to learn how Google's latest growth and monetization innovations make it easier for developers to find and retain high-value players.
You can build a legendary mobile gaming business. For developers of all sizes, we can help amplify your success with easy-to-use solutions that grow your business at every stage of the game lifecycle. Grow your player base and monetize more easily with simple solutions that are fast to set up, and increase the lifetime value of your players by delivering the right ad experiences at the right time.
I hope everyone is prepared for a Google gaming future.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Why do all the "Console newcomers" always make controllers that are totally not comfortable looking at all. If my hands are going to be holding that thing, being engaged into a game for multiple hours, I want that shit to feel comfy.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Now I have no idea how real / credible this though.

Does Google still use that Home icon for anything? Last I saw it was Android 4.4 KitKat.

Edit:

D1Pj-D9U0AAZGvg.jpg

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
The controller mock up looks fake to me. Google would be able to design something much better looking.

Excited to see new games though :)

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
It is 100% a fake render.
The site that comes from pretty much only posts renders of products or renders of things that are completely made up.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They've designed real-time ad injects into your AAA games, based on keywords associated with your most recent Google searches.

Perfection.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
There are some very off things about that leak.

First off, is that Twitter account the only one who leaked this? Secondly, why the small sticks? Thirdly, why have the home and menu(?) buttons be sunk into the controller? If there are home and menu buttons, what's the purpose of the center "Google logo" button?

Kind of feeling like this isn't legit. If I saw more reputable sources confirming this source, I'd change my tune, but uh... naw.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's 100% a fake render. Especially considering the source.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are some very off things about that leak.

First off, is that Twitter account the only one who leaked this? Secondly, why the small sticks? Thirdly, why have the home and menu(?) buttons be sunk into the controller? If there are home and menu buttons, what's the purpose of the center "Google logo" button?

Kind of feeling like this isn't legit. If I saw more reputable sources confirming this source, I'd change my tune, but uh... naw.

There is the patent

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's already established that the controller is a mock-up. The actual controller should look pretty similar, though, if the patent is any indication.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, which is indicative of nothing.

The buttons and sticks on the patent appear to be far larger than this random Twitter account's leak. D-pad is a different shape. Different angles on the plastic casing itself. There is less space in the patent between the sides of the d-pad/face buttons compared to the patent, etc etc etc.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think people are underestimating Google's political investment in building up a new gaming platform. Earning a slice of that gaming market money is nice, yes, but I bet it's far more important to them that this is a market where their chosen nemesis Microsoft is a major player and is actively planning to use that advantage to solidify and expand their ecosystem, potentially at the expense of Google's own. As such, not only do I not see them dumping the project down the line but I'm also banking on them being willing to take as much financial loss as possible on this to ensure a reasonably successful entry into the game market.

Won't be easy, of course. Unlike Google, Microsoft's Xbox has 18 years worth of players, games, platform features, friends list, achievements and a commitment to backwards compatibility for all future Xbox consoles, good luck challenging THAT.

VGaaS allows companies who already offer XaaS to enter the video gaming market. Google is not alone, there is also Amazon, Apple, Nvidia,... even IBM could start an cloud gaming platform.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the triggers are analog and not digital. It's one of those Nintendo decisions that baffles me

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
When the original article already states the graphic is a visual mockup by Sarang Seth based on the patent, I'm pretty sure that means we can safely bypass the "I think it's a fake" discussion. It's a guess, not a fake.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Spawn Wave put up a video about the Google rumors. I'll update this post with anything interesting.
  • Screenshot of the UI from a dev kit
  • (we knew this already) Two pillars: streaming and a traditional home console, codename Metallurgy
  • Exclusive games using known IPs, funded by Google
  • Designed so games developed for the console will translate easily to streaming service
  • Streaming service will launch before the hardware
  • Currently planning two consoles, one weaker ("Steel") and one stronger ("Titanium")
    • "Steel" could be dropped because of production costs
    • "Titanium" is more powerful than Xbox One X
    • Sleep mode
  • Developers supporting the Google console:
    • Ubisoft
    • SEGA (major revivals)
    • Google's own first-party

Last edited:

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017

Spawn Wave put up a video about the Google rumors. I'll update this post with anything interesting.
  • (we knew this already) Two pillars: streaming and a traditional home console, codename Metallurgy
  • Designed so games developed for the console will translate easily to streaming service
  • Currently planning two consoles, one weaker ("Steel") and one stronger ("Titanium")

I haven't been keeping up with the rumours surrounding this but I always thought they were just streaming games. So they will be releasing a console that will play games natively ?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this will natively run Android apps. Would be a quick way to a fantastic emulation box.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will natively run Android apps. Would be a quick way to a fantastic emulation box.
If the suggestion that the box could be more powerful than Xbox One X is correct then even though it could be compatible with a large portion of Android apps, it'd probably be too expensive just to be an emulator box.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If the suggestion that the box could be more powerful than Xbox One X is correct then even though it could be compatible with a large portion of Android apps, it'd probably be too expensive just to be an emulator box.
Yeah I mean in addition to playing games specifically targeting it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

• "Titanium" is more powerful than Xbox One X
    • Sleep mode
  • Developers supporting the Google console:
    • Ubisoft
    • SEGA (major revivals)
    • Google's own first-party

An actual console is far more interesting, no interest in streaming. And as the biggest Sega fanboy of old, revivals raises an eyebrow.

The next couple of weeks are going to be super interesting in terms of both Google and Microsoft.