• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Google doesn't have any game development studios (right?), so I'm not sure what they can really do. Maybe they can get an interesting service out there, but I don't think they can compete with Sony, Nintendo, or even Microsoft. Google always tries something, and just gives up. So I don't think they will succeed. We'll see though. Competition is always good.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any updates or rumors for Amazon gaming/streaming system? Trying to firgure out the timeframe for them since it appears Google and Microsoft are going to battle soon.
only thing I read was that there were doing some kind of streaming service. and they make a few games, that mmo being the main one.

https://www.theinformation.com/arti...aming-service?utm_medium=email&utm_source=cio

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/10/18177253/amazon-cloud-gaming-service-rumor-job-posting

but no, nothing really known. 2020 maybe a launch timeframe.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
If Google is planning on just being a streaming service, what's the point of Google having a high powered game system as well? The way I see it is a cheap device($150) that has plays your games 1080p via streaming only, while the powerful device($399) plays your games the traditional way but being digital only.

Oct 28, 2017
If Google is planning on just being a streaming service, what's the point of Google having a high powered game system as well? The way I see it is a cheap device($150) that has plays your games 1080p via streaming only, while the powerful device($399) plays your games the traditional way but being digital only.

Maybe the new Google hardware is a supportive system for streaming, as Chromecast may be unsuitable (due to latency).

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tested Google's Project Stream briefly. It was kinda crappy over WiFi and I didn't have the time or patience to set up a wired connection. The problem is that the tech is insufficient for wireless, but I don't think Google wants to spend a boatload of money on mass producing local processing hardware.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited. Whatever it is, it'll mean more options for us.

It looks like Google is going all in with this project. Expectations have gone through the roof.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
i hope these streaming services fail and embarrasses themselves to the point that nobody thinks of doing the same again.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly interested in Sega's involvement. I mean they're the only major studio force that are "partnering" on this new console, correct? And Google's specifically interested in reviving Sega's legacy IPs? Like are they partnering with them as in Sonic Pocket Adventure on the Neo Geo Pocket Color - or are they partnering with them as in Jet Set Radio 3 is an exclusive? Either way I'm marking my calendar for next week. Very interested to see what Google has on the horizon.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly interested in Sega's involvement. I mean they're the only major studio force that are "partnering" on this new console, correct? And Google's specifically interested in reviving Sega's legacy IPs? Like are they partnering with them as in Sonic Pocket Adventure on the Neo Geo Pocket Color - or are they partnering with them as in Jet Set Radio 3 is an exclusive? Either way I'm marking my calendar for next week. Very interested to see what Google has on the horizon.
Could we see anything Skies of Arcadia related?

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Careful with your words, your going to be quoted by people astroturfing their hardwork in the game-streaming industry.
unfortunately I think there is a decent chance that streaming will be the future, but I don't think most people have considered the cost of going that way. It depresses me that discussion around this topic is rarely anything other than whether the tech will be good enough or how convenient streaming will be. That stuff is insignificant compared to the bigger issues.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
I could see having a fully featured online multiplayer service for free being a big selling point. I'm not sure how Sony and especially Microsoft will respond to that. I know their shareholders will be angry if they decide to make Plus/Gold free online.

And why wouldn't Google/alphabet shareholders be angry that they offer something for free when competitors are generating revenue from their services?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's just going to be a streaming box. I don't understand why people are so excited by this. There's going to be so much disappointment at that announcement.

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
My money is on something like MS is trying to do with play anywhere but just streaming. It will be a google gaming service that streams games. Maybe subscription based. They will make a streaming device but also probably allow it to be used on PC/Mac/Chrome etc. The money is in the service/ecosystem. Project stream exists for a reason. I'm not expecting a traditional local hardware box.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I can only buy so many fucking gaming devices. 4 competitors is too fucking much. 3 is already pushing it.

You have Nintendo for Nintendo games and a smattering of others and then one other competitor. That's all you really need.

I dont think the market or industry frankly can sustain more systems.

More mobile presence sure but no mas.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
And why wouldn't Google/alphabet shareholders be angry that they offer something for free when competitors are generating revenue from their services?
Because offering a perceived value-add up front will gain them users that would otherwise ignore the service. And since running online servers doesn't actually require the revenue brought in by a subscription - it's free growth for them.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
I wont be getting invested in their ecosystem. Knowing Google this will go in the way of the dodo after a few years.

Their handling of Youtube also doesn't provide any confidence.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
What's this about Sega and Google?

The original leak and tweets confirming so that followed stated Sega has signed on as a major "partner" of the system, with Google specifically interested in "classic game revivals". So people are wondering about the extent of their involvement which ranges from maybe two or three games all the way up to "Dreamcast 2" depending on your mileage. It'd be a very interesting move from Sega and people are wondering for example whether games like Streets of Rage 4 might even be exclusive (hopefully not - but it'd be interesting to see). So hopefully Google announce the extent of their partnership at this GDC showing.

At a guess it'll be a swath of exclusives like when Sega did the same for the original Xbox. But it would be very interesting if Google's interest in "classic game revivals" means more rebirths of Sega franchises like Jet Set Radio or as another user mentioned above Skies of Arcadia and other forgotten games.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
What if Google wants to use SEGA's brand? What if this is the return of SEGA's hardware through Google?!

Pffft, yeah right.

...but imagine

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Curious about the price point. Especially if it's a subscription based console.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
been pretty ambivalent about the whole thing but now its shaping up to be legit i'm getting a little spooked. "i for one welcome our google overlords"

oh well interesting times ahead nonetheless

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
been pretty ambivalent about the whole thing but now its shaping up to be legit i'm getting a little spooked. "i for one welcome our google overlords"

oh well interesting times ahead nonetheless
What could you possibly be afraid of? I think google will be great for the industry. So will amazon when they hop in.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
What if Google wants to use SEGA's brand? What if this is the return of SEGA's hardware through Google?!

Pffft, yeah right.

...but imagine

Well this is the thing. "Partnering" on the system could actually mean exactly that. However unlikely it'd be. As a die-hard Sega fan I would love to see Sega come back in a big way by teaming up with Google. The likeliest scenario is probably Yakuza ports and an exclusive game or something - but it'd be surreal if Google literally announced Sega's a 50/50 partner and they're even using Sega branding because of how popular Sega has been in the past.

Generally when the word "partner" is thrown around it simply means software support - but if this means more classic Sega games are revived at the very least (which is supposedly what Google is interested in, to probably get some hardcore gamer cred) then so be it. Very interested to see what happens next week.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm certainly intrigued and interested just for the sake of the rollercoaster. Personally, I'd hope for hardware that's optimized for streaming or something entirely unexpected over another traditional box. In the big picture, I don't know if another platform is sustainable. And on a selfish level, I'd be more open to a cheap streaming box to get my fix of mega-budget western games than I would be to investing in a $400 box.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
What could you possibly be afraid of? I think google will be great for the industry. So will amazon when they hop in.

lot of creepy implications with google's monopoly carrying over into gaming. i'm not one of those who think they're evil and want to spy on me in the bathroom or whatever but it doesn't sit comfortably with me either

though ultimately i'm of belief more serious players the better... same with amazon, bring it on

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested. 99 percent sure it'll be a streaming device. Interested to see the controller and maybe one or two different ideas.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Whatever brings me Skies of Arcadia 2 is being bought... but I really cant see these new games being lifetime exclusive. Thatd be officially the stupidest thing Sega has ever done. If this is true.
UNLESS THIS GOOGLE CONSOLE IS ALSO A NEW SEGA CONSOLE

/s
but it'd be surreal if Google literally announced Sega's a 50/50 partner and they're even using Sega branding because of how popular Sega has been in the past.
Real talk though, I'd straight up buy Google Dreamcast 2 or whatever the hell.

I'm not really kidding, I'd been daydreaming about that shit for half a decade, almost. Although my pipe dreams originally involved Apple.

Oct 25, 2017
All the comparative chatter about Google and Microsoft just made me realize: at the first sign of the backwards-ass Xbox ABXY layout, I am conclusively out.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this is the hardware they're putting in the data centers anyway so why not score a few extra brownie points and sell them to consumers.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I can only buy so many fucking gaming devices. 4 competitors is too fucking much. 3 is already pushing it.

You have Nintendo for Nintendo games and a smattering of others and then one other competitor. That's all you really need.

I dont think the market or industry frankly can sustain more systems.

More mobile presence sure but no mas.

If you think console exclusivity is bad now wait until these streaming aspirants start to lock down exclusive content to their particular service. We see this playing out now in the streaming video space, where if you want to have access to all the hottest new shows you end up having to maintain multiple subscriptions. I know that a lot of people view games as disposable and only care about what just came out, but for somebody who enjoys building a game collection and revisiting older stuff, this new age is gonna suck.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Bold prediction: it's a normal looking controller that can be used with most current consoles and Android. (Or maybe using an Android device itself as a bad touchscreen controller). Notification screen showss you of what your friends are doing, even on other platforms (some sort of Discord integration or perhaps even as a competitor). Google makes money by interpreting and collecting your data (what time you usually play, for how long, which console) to sell to advertisers.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
For those in the Project Stream beta, was ACO performance the equivalent of a beefy PC?

If the rumour of a native console is true, perhaps the ACO performance gives us an indication of what power to expect from it.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Someone mentioned in another thread that maybe this will be Google's Nintento Switch.

Portable...still powerful enough...and of course, be able to stream High Tech Games.

Some might not know/remember, but Google did release a tablet that used Nvidia Tegra X1 Chip...full version (compared to the one that was alittle scaled back on the Switch)

Google Pixel C

When it was first released I was SO ready to buy it.

Keyboard is detachable.
pixel-c-header-2.jpg

So maybe a smaller more portable version. With Switch type click on controllers. And dock/HDMI connection to TVs.

Hell this version had a resolution of 2560x1800 (308 ppi)..

So maybe some where in that resolution range, it will support VR as well...with an add on device.