• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So... say Google becomes a legitimate contender:

1. Can the market support more than 3 mass market console manufacturers?

2. Who has the most to fear from them?
Regarding 1, I think it depends on the market Google is trying to grab.

If they're planning on a cheaper console that focuses on streaming, I could see them opening up a lot of people into gaming depending on how cheap they can get it and what quality internet you need to run it well.

If this is another full power, full price XB1/PS4 type box... Things will definitely be interesting that's for sure.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess that confirms a console. I hope Google realizes they need either a powerful console or a good gimmicky device we haven't seen before, a ton of compelling exclusive games (that aren't timed) and to own enough game studios creating exclusive masterpieces to go up against PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo to even have a chance in the current market.

If they can't do any of that I'm excited to watch the trainwreck.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious if it's going to be mostly third party stuff? I haven't heard much about them acquiring/starting their own studios. I think I remember hearing them poaching some bigwigs though, so maybe they have internal stuff cooking. They've been surprisingly good at keeping the games secret.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Google can't even compete with a video game live-streaming website.

I really don't think they'll do much in the video game console wars either.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Doubt it. If the rumours are true and this is a streaming thing, it's not really going to compete with anyone. A $99-129 streaming box is a good contender for a secondary console, and I doubt people would be willing to pay more than that if the focus is indeed on streaming.

A traditional console, though? Then it would get interesting.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
We'll see. A streaming box for PC/mobile games is kind of meh.
If it's a streaming box with exclusive content worth giving a shit about, there's no reason to not treat it like a fourth pillar in the market.

That AC: Odyssey test basically proves they've got the tech to bring modern games into the home via streaming. I see no reason to assume Google wouldn't flex their muscle to get the major third parties onboard.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
Timeline would be much more amusing if the partnership with Sega turned out to be real and they posted a "9/19/19" teaser instead.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Hrmm it depends on Google aiming for a tech focus box with grunt to go against Sony and MS, or if they aim at the handheld market and go for Nintendo. Ultimately it's all about games and services and I am unsure if Google can provide both.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Sc2ncDU.jpg

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I might come off like conservative, but Google meddling in 'the future of gaming' by sharing their vision doesn't really instill me with confidence that I might like what they have to show.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is just a streambox. My entertainment system is crowded enough with three systems.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
If actual AAA gaming level console this will be interesting if streaming console meh.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
cool. should be interesting to see what they bring to the table, i hope they have some of their own exclusives and its not just moneyhat shit.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's happening .gif

I'm intrigued even though i don't feel the need to buy a new hardware right now, but if it is something connected to Android then i could be interested.

I'm curious by the exclusives they will announce or tease.

Also, will Google join E3 with a live conference there? I mean Sony's spot is empty right now.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I think Sony would have the most to fear. MS's direction is making XBox a service that runs on everything. So this doesn't really impact them. They'll just put GP on Google's console. Nintendo marches to its own beat and their portfolio of first party IPs are unmatched in terms of legacy and recognition. Sony is the market leader, but their gaming strategy is also the most "traditional" and imo the most straightforward to challenge by someone like a Google. Of course, that all depends on what kind of console Google is actually releasing.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
In the trailer looks like PUBG will be on it not sure about the other games hinted at maybe Elite Dangerous, For Honor, F1 Racing, Rumored avatar Ubisoft game IDK

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This is exciting. Competition drives innovation. I'm all for it. Google has the money and the smarts to do something real cool and revolutionary. Looking forward to w.e they got going on

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
will be interesting to see what it is plus how it turns out. Im always in to see new tech. I wanna know the name, the design and the logo other than that i probably wont get one lol (unless I can get a cheaper streaming box then sure fuck it)

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Guesses based on teaser trailer, assuming those are all subtle game teases for their device:
  • FIFA
  • Rockband
  • Need For Speed or F1 2019
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4
  • Elite Dangerous
  • ??? (unsure about fantasy game)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Google is going to be the "unannounced partner" showing up during the Unreal Engine ray tracing talk.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's a streaming box with exclusive content worth giving a shit about, there's no reason to not treat it like a fourth pillar in the market.

That AC: Odyssey test basically proves they've got the tech to bring modern games into the home via streaming. I see no reason to assume Google wouldn't flex their muscle to get the major third parties onboard.
If it's a streaming console they'd have to argue why you need this device to people who don't own a gaming system.

People with gaming systems they'd have to argue why it's to their benefit to own a streaming dedicated device over owning a Xbox, Nintendo, or PlayStation console.

Would I pay less money for a better experience?
Is there a Netflix-service going on here with a huge game catalog at $10/month or less. Am I going to own the games or will it just be a license to play? Will games be indefinitely supported with free updates? A ton of questions. There are a ton of reasons things like Ouya failed.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If anyone's gonna crack this industry open like an egg, it's Google.

I'm just glad this is happening now and not in a world where Nintendo was floundering.

Count me as not interested though.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Would be crazy if the competition between two American tech giants is what ended the reign of the PlayStation. It would be so out of left field.