• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
If it's a full console, how would they even get exclusive software? Sega had that Genesis/Sonic bundle, Playstation had Sony's existing game developers as well as most big CD based games, Xbox had Halo. I'm wondering what Google's killer app would be for this thing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Remember this? :)

dims

Well at least the controller looks better than that mockup sketch and render making the rounds. That thing looks uncomfortable as hell.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The idea of a controller that will connect to any device running the app is amazing if they pulled that off. Essentially makes it handheld if you need it to be too
Not sure how that would be anything unique. All streaming services will work the same way and likely support any controller if they have any sense. A Bluetooth controller is a.. Bluetooth controller.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how that would be anything unique. All streaming services will work the same way and likely support any controller if they have any sense. A Bluetooth controller is a.. Bluetooth controller.

The only unfortunate wrinkle in this is iOS support. I presume there'll be an iOS app for this service, but it'll be interesting to see if Google makes the controller mifi compatible.

That should ensure seamless compatibility across all devices, and for now perhaps the only service controller that does that.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Introducing the Google Schrödinger.

It's a play anywhere controller.

It's a chrome cast streaming device.

It's a traditional console.

It's Google.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I swear to dog if their controller is just a variation of the Xbox controller (asymmetrical sticks, ABXY, etc) ...

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: "GDC teaser" is actually a typo and they meant to type "GDC taser"

Attendees expecting games will be greeted by 50k volts to the face instead.

Neolombax

Nov 28, 2018
:D

I really hope it isn't. The infrastructure is still way too weak (here in Germany e.g.) or capped.

If this is the case for Germany, I hate to think how it would perform in Malaysia lol. Not sure about the minimum requirements for a smooth experience to stream games. Here we can comfortably stream Netflix for example, but I'd wager its entirely different for games. Playstation Now isnt even available here, so its a tough to benchmark.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Is google implying that their cloud based device/console is going to be too ahead of its time like the dreamcast was?

Or that its gonna be a massive piece of shit like ET on Atari?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
If this is the case for Germany, I hate to think how it would perform in Malaysia lol. Not sure about the minimum requirements for a smooth experience to stream games. Here we can comfortably stream Netflix for example, but I'd wager its entirely different for games. Playstation Now isnt even available here, so its a tough to benchmark.

If Project Stream was any indication. Recommended settings were at least 10mbps minimum and 20-25mbps recommended

Jan 9, 2018
I could see the software being called google stream and the hardware device being dreamcast or a feature called dreamcast as a nod.