• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Hideocaina

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
2019318223624_1.jpg

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some oddly specific milestones. The focus on portable gaming makes sense, seeing as you'll be able to stream it to phones and tablets and such but why the motion controls? Almost makes me think Google has some innovative control solution up their sleeve but I kinda find that unlikely.
VR

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My take: discless local system with streaming option, free online and gdrive for saves.
Free online would be a game changer, paying to go online is ridiculous, especially
Yeah, because discs are such a "barrier."
Just sounds like a bunch of marketing talk for Google to try to get involved in yet another industry only to steal your data and sell it.
sounds more innovative than what we're used to, usually the most that we can ask for from th console makers is to play online with friends if we pay for it in 2019

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
You know, I haven't posted in this thread because my expectations are bottom of the barrel low right now. I'm anticipating another streaming device that will fail just like all the others before it in the next couple years.

BUT! I felt I should post, because I guess we might be on the cusp of the biggest entry in the video game race in nearly twenty years. Which I suppose is a really, really huge deal.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
My guess is that it's a subscription based, platform agnostic streaming service at its core, with a few exclusives to sweeten the deal. I imagine it would feature PC and mobile games, with the ability to create save states to seamlessly resume gameplay. I would also expect the ability to play multiplayer regardless of whether the game was originally networked (so basically Parsec functionality built in). Maybe they have solved some of the latency and performance issues that plague FPSs and fighting games on other streaming services. And then top it off with hardware based framerate interpolation and machine learning to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia just announced Geforce Now support for VR.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/18/geforce-now-cloud-gaming-service/

but whether it is good enough atm is anyone's guess.
Interesting. If they've been able to overcome the latency issue, they might also have a VR headset for streaming or a headmount for Pixel phones or sth. Could explain why there are two empty display cases, I guess. One for the dongle/streaming box and controller, one for the headset/headmount. Still don't think it's terribly likely but I guess it's a possibility.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont give a shit about streaming. Just give me a solid console and some kickass, high budget IP's and I'll buy it.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be definitely a streaming service. I don't know about you guys, but Google had project stream beta back Fall 2018. It ended in Jan. I was a beta tester and played for 20 hours total. All I can say is that the console makers should be terrified of this technology. While I do have an excellent connection and many don't, if google could sell a dongle for $50-$100 that could play all the big titles, I don't see how traditional consoles could survive. While there are concerns such as input lag, it wasn't an issue with Project Stream when I was testing at least in single player mode.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be definitely a streaming service. I don't know about you guys, but Google had project stream beta back Fall 2018. It ended in Jan. I was a beta tester and played for 20 hours total. All I can say is that the console makers should be terrified of this technology. While I do have an excellent connection and many don't, if google could sell a dongle for $50-$100 that could play all the big titles, I don't see how traditional consoles could survive. While there are concerns such as input lag, it wasn't an issue with Project Stream when I was testing at least in single player mode.
What did you play?

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we don't know what their business model is going to be yet. Will it be a subscription service? Not everyone is into those (and a lot will depend on the pricing, of course). Will you be able to buy individual games? If so, what happens to those games if/when the service shuts down, etc. Sony and Nintendo also still have their exclusive IPs up their sleeves (and Microsoft is slowly trying to build up a bigger IP portfolio of their own with the recent studio acquisitions). And the connection issue should not be underplayed. There are many regions in the world, even in developed countries, where internet speeds probably aren't fast enough for game streaming yet. (And, of course, it's impossible to tell at this point whether Google actually will be able to offer "all the big titles" from third-parties.)

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Well, we don't know what their business model is going to be yet. Will it be a subscription service? Not everyone is into those (and a lot will depend on the pricing, of course). Will you be able to buy individual games? If so, what happens to those games if/when the service shuts down, etc. Sony and Nintendo also still have their exclusive IPs up their sleeves (and Microsoft is slowly trying to build up a bigger IP portfolio of their own with the recent studio acquisitions). And the connection issue should not be underplayed. There are many regions in the world, even in developed countries, where internet speeds probably aren't fast enough for game streaming yet. (And, of course, it's impossible to tell at this point whether Google actually will be able to offer "all the big titles" from third-parties.)
This is the start of this technology so I don't anticipate it being a threat immediately after launch. I was also referring to markets with good internet infrastructure. I don't see any issues with bringing 3rd party titles over to their services. The project Stream used the PC version of the game, and I doubt that publishers will have any issues adding their games as it will only require their permission to stream. It's free money for game makers. Now, depending on how they handle the service, it could make or break their new console. Being able to buy games and owning them would be the most ideal. Or a low flat fee like the Game Pass will also work amazingly. But implementing Nvidia or Playstation business model will not work.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Google teamed with Sega, it's the Google-Sega Pluto! Persona 5 R is announced as exclusive to it, as well as hints of P6.

Just cause sometimes you want to see the world burn.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
allowing you to jump into the same match with the streamer lmao

no one wants that when everyone is trying to make it harder for that to happen
You kidding? Streamers would LOVE this feature.... as long as they can limit it to people who donate $20 or more that day or who've subbed to their channel for 6+ months.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the start of this technology so I don't anticipate it being a threat immediately after launch. I was also referring to markets with good internet infrastructure. I don't see any issues with bringing 3rd party titles over to their services. The project Stream used the PC version of the game, and I doubt that publishers will have any issues adding their games as it will only require their permission to stream. It's free money for game makers. Now, depending on how they handle the service, it could make or break their new console. Being able to buy games and owning them would be the most ideal. Or a low flat fee like the Game Pass will also work amazingly. But implementing Nvidia or Playstation business model will not work.
It's possible that some of the big publishers are thinking of doing their own streaming services at some point in the future. EA already has their own subscription service and as the future of gaming is streaming (this is something I'm pretty sure all the big players have been aware of now for ages - hence Sony buying Gaikai all that time ago), they may already have plans to turn it into a streaming service of their own in which case they might no want Google to succeed with their streaming service.

And again, buying and owning games would be a bit problematic since you can't actually own a game you're just streaming. It's always going to be on Google's servers and if those servers ever shut down (which, if the service isn't a success, may be sooner rather than later), you may be left with no way of playing the games you've "purchased". Maybe they'll come up with a solution to that but it's certainly an issue that would have to be addressed if they do offer up individual games for purchase.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thats the biggest hurdle something like this will have..people need to have much stronger/more stable internet connections to make this viable.

But if/when they do...whew lad.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Geforce Now, on a Shield TV in its current state, is just fucking incredible. I don't know how they did it but the input lag is just less than I ever thought it could be. If Google's service is anything on par with that, it's going to be great.

The major caveat is that WiFi is not suitable for it. It's ethernet or bust.

Really, all I want from either Google or Nvidia is a device that follows up the Shield TV. It's already a great machine but it's also 4 years old - I want to see what a truly 2019 device can do, and I want to see my collective game library represented and organized in a better way than the Shield currently manages. I also want Dolby Vision support (that might be more of a licensing issue than a hardware one - I can see Google ponying up that cash).

Give me a streaming "Movies Anywhere" for Games and I'll be ecstatic.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Geforce Now, on a Shield TV in its current state, is just fucking incredible. I don't know how they did it but the input lag is just less than I ever thought it could be. If Google's service is anything on par with that, it's going to be great.

The major caveat is that WiFi is not suitable for it. It's ethernet or bust.

Really, all I want from either Google or Nvidia is a device that follows up the Shield TV. It's already a great machine but it's also 4 years old - I want to see what a truly 2019 device can do, and I want to see my collective game library represented and organized in a better way than the Shield currently manages. I also want Dolby Vision support (that might be more of a licensing issue than a hardware one - I can see Google ponying up that cash).

Give me a streaming "Movies Anywhere" for Games and I'll be ecstatic.

I want Project Stream to just work with the Shield TV. I really don't see why we need a new model if it's just a streaming service?

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It would be cool if it actually a substantial piece of hardware. Unfortunately, I have set my expectations to 'chromecast' for games.

I have been using Steam Link on my phone recently, and I think it works okay/fine most of the time. Hopefully Google's implementation will be slightly better though. I feel as if Steam Link introduces a lot of latency.

Feb 23, 2019

Sony already has their own streaming service for years, why should they be terrified?

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
That's likely on Nvidia to allow it, and they'd have to be high on dust to do that

Thing is chrome works on the shield TV and takes input from the shield TV game controller. Sticks and all.

Also, If Google created an Android TV app and just uploaded it to the PlayStore that would be insane if Nvidia blocked it from working. Especially since they could only block it from working correctly after the user had already downloaded it. Users would revolt. I'm guessing they will be breaching some terms for using Android TV at that point.

I guess we will know soon!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
The quality was subpar, and their game selection certainly didn't include the latest and greatest. Their business model was terrible as well. The streaming service needs to be the focus. Sony clearly didn't have that goal with their streaming service.

All I'm saying is that the tech had been out there for ages

Is it better than what Sony's got from a latency standpoint? Is that something Sony can't fix?

Ditto with the business model

Google's going to have a tough time convincing people that their service makes sense to buy into

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm saying is that the tech had been out there for ages

Is it better than what Sony's got from a latency standpoint? Is that something Sony can't fix?

Ditto with the business model

Google's going to have a tough time convincing people that their service makes sense to buy into

Won't be hard when millions of Android phones suddenly become capable of playing the newest console releases via streaming. Considering how popular things like Fortnite and PUBG are on mobile, getting access to the next Assassin's Creed or real Madden will pull a lot of kids/casuals.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
People forget that streaming is a thing already. Sony does it and can't you even rent powerful gaming rigs in the cloud? And NVIDIA has something in beta, too, correct?

If it's an expensive subscription I'm not interested anyway, too much hardware to play on in my home already 😬

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
People forget that streaming is a thing already. Sony does it and can't you even rent powerful gaming rigs in the cloud? And NVIDIA has something in beta, too, correct?

If it's an expensive subscription I'm not interested anyway, too much hardware to play on in my home already 😬
Nani?

Sony does this with PS Now and it blows. It's terrible, which is why they started offering downloads. You can rent cloud services for PC gaming and while they've made improvements, input latency is still an issue. That includes Nvidia GeForce Now, Shadow (it's gotten better), Liquid Sky - I can only speak of this as that's all I tested. Oh, and Project Stream, but that was a beta.