• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
If its about streaming they better have some incredible tech. I have a stable 50mpbs and PsNow isn't anywhere close to good enough for fast paced games.

VR would be awesome but I doubt that, the market has shown it doesn't care much right now.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Amen to that.

Has anyone ever Google searched past articles about the birth and death of certain consoles to read people's comments from the day? It's very entertaining. I spent a whole afternoon reading people's takes on the death of the Dreamcast and how the Xbox was bringing a new era in which Sony would be next to fall and Nintendo would have a new rival in Microsoft.
Personally, i remember all the jokes about BSODing consoles and Ctrl-Alt-Del joypads...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Mixed feelings. On one hand, something possibly big and new and exciting is happening in gaming. On the other hand... It's fucking Google. I'd rather stay away from their stuff as much as possible.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Probably fake.

Skies of Arcadia 2
New JSR
Virtua Fighter 6
New atlus IP
New 3d sonic

All 5 exclusive to Google console.

I guess Daytona - Let's go Away Collection, Outrun 3: Testarossa, Burning Rangers, Phantasy Star MCLXX and Panzer Dragoon Saga Gaiden are launch window then.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Every chrome browser is now game-capable. Boom.

As a bonus, you can get this game box with a controller and Google Assistant included.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
If this will be a streaming only service, what are the implications for exclusive games in terms of graphics?

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this announcement is going to amount to for me is a bunch of games that were coming to PC can no longer be played on PC without using some laggy cloud streaming service.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
People that are seriously comparing Ouya with fucking Google can't be serious.

It's literally the third biggest company on the planet versus a Kickstarter project. I mean, c'mon.. you're entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to be unnecessarily obtuse.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's literally the third biggest company on the planet versus a Kickstarter project. I mean, c'mon.. you're entitled to your opinion, but you don't need to be unnecessarily obtuse.

It'll not be an Ouya for the advertisement push alone.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think that comparison is less about the money and power behind it, and more about what will likely be the end result lol.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's just a streaming box I'll sleep.

If they also offer a stationary box with good specs, I'll be very intrigued.

If this is a legit console I would really labor over whether to buy it. One thing Sony has done and Microsoft even better is make me fully aware of how vast my damn gaming library is. Now with stuff like Game Pass and EA Access the notion of switching to a new console that I lose all that really bums me out.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Oh how I wish this were a traditional console.
If it is a traditional console then Google legitimately has a chance imo.

Also, if Google decides to partner with Nvidia for the GPU and has the only console on the market capable of hardware-based raytracing...

339.png

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If this is a legit console I would really labor over whether to buy it. One thing Sony has done and Microsoft even better is make me fully aware of how vast my damn gaming library is. Now with stuff like Game Pass and EA Access the notion of switching to a new console that I lose all that really bums me out.
And for this very reason, I can't consider this new console unless it does something truly revolutionary. I have way too many games. Games I had well intentions to play immediately when I bought at launch that just fell to the wayside for years. And to make it worse, Capcom smacks me with two must-plays in the beginning of the year + Sekiro next week.

Where do I find the time?

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If its a proper console ill pay attention (although Googles history of abandoning projects has me shook) if its a streaming device they can swivel.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah some posts are a bit weird to be honest. If you read them you think that is about a small company from nowhere that wants to enter the gaming business.

"They abandon their projects". Every company stops unsuccessful products. It happens. Atari (Jaguar), Sega (Dreamcast), Sony (Vita), Microsoft (Kinect), Nintendo (Wii U), etc.
"Google? No thank you. They tracking everything". Yes because now not a single company tracking how we playing games...
"We don't need/I can't buy a fourth console". Most of the gamers don't buy every available console. Another option is never a bad thing.

We should at least wait for their presentation.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Google brings ChromeOS to the living room with their console if Microsoft will finally feel it's ok to finally bring a Windows Desktop experience/mode to the Xbox. People will say they need to focus on GAME GAMES GAMES, but they could have a small team working on it and they already have the uwp apps ready to go.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the result is super unlikely to be the same.
Is it though?

I'd probably put money on this coming out, getting support with really slow sales for a couple years, and then fizzling out.

Maybe even fizzling out sooner than that, as soon as next-gen hits.

I just think people don't need another console maker in the game, let alone one designed by google (who people are growing to distrust more and more).

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

The more experience you have as a customer of Google's products and services the less likely you are to be excited by new ones. They literally kill your ability to get excited because of the way they operate. If another team at Google comes up with a "better" way of doing the same things this initiative does they will kill it or even introduce the other service alongside it with less features and then kill off the older service before achieving feature parity. It's the Google way.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That teaser only has 150k views? Don't new console teasers usually have 10's of millions or at least millions? I'm not feeling the hype.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

I'm bemused.

I think that comparison is less about the money and power behind it, and more about what will likely be the end result lol.

I woul be very surprised if Google Gatherer becomes the next Artifact by Valve.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was posting last night about how even if Google wows me with their offering, I'd hold off for a year to see how they support the thing. Now they're downsizing their tablet and laptop divisions.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...asking-employees-to-transfer-to-other-groups/

Yeah, if it plays local games and has games I want, I'll be interested down the line and hope it does well in that case. But I could see them abandon it quickly if it's not a smash hit.

manksalot

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
In what parallel universe do you think Google would make a console that is not rooted in Android?
One where Fuchsia is years ahead in its development :p

Though personally I'm guessing a chromecast-type device. Maybe even just a new model of chromecast. And lt'd be a good idea in my book if they could offer a nice controller that would seamlessly switch between phone / cast / chromebook etc.