• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
We had a hint that it wasn't a console, you know. Someone in here gave us a hint. Even knowing that, I've been leaning towards console, which is dumb.

So maybe it's something just a bit like a console. Some kind of chunk of hardware. Couple hundred bucks. Has gaming functionality at the forefront. Ships with controller.

So what would make it not a console? If it can run full on chrome browser and it's tailored around making that a good living room experience?

Maybe it's more like a platform that you can use to run games locally on any PC, but then with a line of machines like reference models?

Maybe it's more open and would allow sideloading and development on it?

I have no idea. I'm trying to think of things that are more than a streaming stick but not quite a console.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
We had a hint that it wasn't a console, you know. Someone in here gave us a hint. Even knowing that, I've been leaning towards console, which is dumb.

So maybe it's something just a bit like a console. Some kind of chunk of hardware. Couple hundred bucks. Has gaming functionality at the forefront. Ships with controller.

So what would make it not a console? If it can run full on chrome browser and it's tailored around making that a good living room experience?

Maybe it's more like a platform that you can use to run games locally on any PC, but then with a line of machines like reference models?

Maybe it's more open and would allow sideloading and development on it?

I have no idea. I'm trying to think of things that are more than a streaming stick but not quite a console.
I imagine it'll be something not too dissimilar to the OnLive "console".

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I'm really excited for this, assuming it's a streaming thing. PS Now worked fine when I tried it a couple years ago, but the game selection wasn't really good enough imo. So, if Google has a service that works as good as or better than PS Now and has more recent games, I'm in.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Not even that. An app on Google's Play Store. They'll sell a gamepad but any controller should work. They might produce some exclusive titles, but nothing too big. Focus is on creating the platform, kinda like Steam but for streaming.
If they put a teaser on the hardware store page just for a controller that would be stupid.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Advertising has been their monetization driver from the beginning. I would be surprised if it isn't used in some way. We will know soon enough.
I mean sure but google has hosted GDC talks for a while now. The link you posted has nothing to do with this. Will they use ADs to monetize this? Maybe? The link is still irrelavent. That's all I'm saying.

I hope they just let people pay money for the service and use the data from it instead of actually running ads.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Damn I'm getting pretty pumped for this. Even if it's a fat nothing Burger it's going to be a fun day.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
My reggie is body, google. Better wow me like the second coming of Dreamcast. Wanna see Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Crazy taxi and Monkey Ball

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
tumblr_mqli6xOCkR1rux6cuo1_250.gif

I won't be surprised if nothing come from this. There is a history of hyped event turning out to be disappointing. I don't hear none of the top developers talking about this, so...I will just head to the ps5 announcement thread and wait for a real event.

Feb 10, 2018
tumblr_mqli6xOCkR1rux6cuo1_250.gif

I won't be surprised if nothing come from this. There is a history of hyped event turning out to be disappointing. I don't hear none of the top developers talking about this, so...I will just head to the ps5 announcement thread and wait for a real event.

Yes, the lack of smoke is not filling me with confidence that this will be anything more then a streaming service with a controller.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever it is they'll probably discontinue it a few years later because Google gotta Google

anf

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, USA
These tweets are pretty exciting.

Honestly If they can make a decent console that also runs Android and therefore install any Android game I'm pretty pumped.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
idSoftware and Ubisoft...

Well if anything Google has gaming set on their radar. And at least initially doing what's needed to entice some third parties over. Ubisoft makes sense since they did do the initial testing with Odyssey.

Now to see how they are partnering with them. First released streaming games on their platform, hardware based third party, or both.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google's hardware effort...................

A big 'eh' from me.

Also, this just happened.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ptop-and-tablet-development-cancels-products/
Yep things get cancelled when they don't sell. Google's nature is always going to guaruntee a lot of failures. That's fine, they're a big company and the products they have that are successful are really successful. Now it's very well possible that this gets killed off as quickly as well but only because if it's unsuccessful. Google doesn't kill off stuff that makes money or dominates a large part of an industry.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yep things get cancelled when they don't sell. Google's nature is always going to guaruntee a lot of failures. That's fine, they're a big company and the products they have that are successful are really successful. Now it's very well possible that this gets killed off as quickly as well but only because if it's unsuccessful. Google doesn't kill off stuff that makes money or dominates a large part of an industry.

the problem with google's problem though is they tends to have a keynote to announced a product, promised plenty support and then released a product with very little marketing (relative to its competitors at least) and when the product doesn't do gangbusters, will quietly cancel the product and wonders why. Then repeat the process.

Trust me, as a google nexus owner since the One and now a pixel xl user, i know this cycle too well.

The only reasonably successful hardware effort by google on the consumer front is the chromecast. And the only reasonably successful hardware initiative by google on the corporation front is the Chromebook. And the reason is simple. Cost. They cost dirt cheap. Dirt cheap to purchase, dirt cheap to maintain (Google Apps account notwithstanding).

For this box to succeed, it needs to be dirt cheap. Not just cheap. Not just affordable. I mean...DIRT CHEAP. And the subscription plan for the game streaming needs to be netflix level of 'subscribe and forget' level of affordability.

And knowing google, one of these things will be more expensive than people are willing to forge.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Now it's very well possible that this gets killed off as quickly as well but only because if it's unsuccessful. Google doesn't kill off stuff that makes money or dominates a large part of an industry.
Well the real problem is their products have the stink of doom around them. Who's going to try one of Google's products if they dont have faith in its support? Yes alot of people in this thread are joking to some degree, I'm sure most would entertain the notion of a Google console/service if it was really great, but there are plenty of reasons to be wary about being an early adopter for any of Google's initiatives at this point.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have Google Fiber but holy shit does their router and cable box units they use suck. Navigating them is horrible because of the same input lag old cable boxes are known for, it's OS/firmware hasn't updated in over a year and neither have the "apps" that came preinstalled which cannot be added to or updated.

Needless to say I'm skeptical of any performance orientated set top box from them. I think it being it being streaming focused is a good bet though but then it's all down to input lag and man I hope they do a better job than I'm used to them doing.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Got a survey pushed to my phone from Google asking me about my console purchases and what factors I look at most. Confirms for me they're putting a console out.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
2. Who has the most to fear from them?

I think essentially the core of what we are looking at is a subscription steaming service running PC versions of recent and brand new software. So that's more of a direct competitor to where MS are taking Xbox.

I think they will initially partner heavily with existing game makers and, following a Netflix like model, eventually transition to a model of developing or commissioning more of their own content.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is more than just a streaming box, what with Amazon planning their own streaming game service. Microsoft is of course doing their thing too with streaming, and who knows what Sony may have up their sleeves for an evolution of PSNOW. Shit is gonna be crowded.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps it's a box that can run games natively, but using streaming to "Boost" it increases the fidelity and physics and such.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Surprising that this still hasn't leaked out completely with 5 days to go. (Assuming there is more than we know of course)

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It has to do with their streaming BETA they had a few months ago.

You could play the new AC right from your chrome browser with a DS4. Worked pretty dang well too.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything leaked it's probably on 4chan somewhere. The Pokemon leak was correct, most likely even in its entirety. Unfortunately, there's so much garbage on there you can't filter out the fakes. And racism. And homophobia. In fact, let's not visit that site and just wait a week.