• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think people who expect a full on console will be disappointed. There are no leaks, no suggestion if google will be going with NVIDIA, AMD or god knows what hardware and nothing else but rumours.

If it would be a full on home console, they would have to use similar hardware Sony and MS are/ will be using. If google decides to go with some in house chips or other exotic stuff, I can't see devs going the extra mile to port games to Google's machine. I believe AMD will be supplying all the next hen stuff. Having to supply google, MS and Sony would be quite a mission unless the release dates are well staggered.

Their streaming beta was quite good and I think we will see nothing more than a streaming box with potentially some exclusive games, ports etc.

Their will be probably some low level GPU/ CPU and storage to play small mobile and have some media stored but again, I don't expect a next gen competitor.

Google is just trying to beat MS and Sony to it with their streaming services such as xcloud and now.

I might be completely wrong though, but I think we all will be sitting there after the presentation and go: LoL

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
We had a hint that it wasn't a console, you know. Someone in here gave us a hint. Even knowing that, I've been leaning towards console, which is dumb.

So maybe it's something just a bit like a console. Some kind of chunk of hardware. Couple hundred bucks. Has gaming functionality at the forefront. Ships with controller.

So what would make it not a console? If it can run full on chrome browser and it's tailored around making that a good living room experience?

Maybe it's more like a platform that you can use to run games locally on any PC, but then with a line of machines like reference models?

Maybe it's more open and would allow sideloading and development on it?

I have no idea. I'm trying to think of things that are more than a streaming stick but not quite a console.

Do we have any updated 'sources' or rumours on what the hardware actually is?

I always assumed that the hardware would just be a controller with or without a dongle you can plug into a TV. That the platform would be streaming only. It only ever made sense to me that Google would want to get into the game-platform business because of streaming, because streaming would lower the barrier to them getting in on this. If they were gonna do a local box in a serious way, they could have joined the race years ago.

But then there seemed to be a new round of rumouring that there was also actually a full fat console. And some posters here said that this was 'known' (including an admin here, for whatever that's worth).

Has there been anything more since that?

(I still think it makes most sense for Google to go with a streaming platform and to avoid the overhead of physical box distribution. They could also potentially do some interesting things with a streaming-only platform that would be less easily done if they need to also support local execution on local boxes. I think even if they did have one it probably would be of secondary focus, a short term thing, and not get huge distribution. But I'm wondering if we have any solid sourcing on the idea of a full console box.)

---

The other possibility is that the box is neither a completely dumb dongle, nor a local console, but an optional 'assist' box for local latency compensation, similar to what MS is rumoured to be working on. So the platform would be streaming only, but they'd market this box as an option for players who need 'the best latency'.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Do we know what GPUs google used for project stream?

Edit: AMD which makes sense cause Nvidia Now or whatever.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued, but also Canadian.. Whatever this is will be US only and come to other markets years later

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I would be interested in a product that lets me pay all games I want buffet style against a monthly payment. But *ONLY* if I can download and install the games locally, not streaming.

Is it safe to assume Google's product will only be stream based?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I would be interested in a product that lets me pay all games I want buffet style against a monthly payment. But *ONLY* if I can download and install the games locally, not streaming.

Is it safe to assume Google's product will only be stream based?
It seems like it will be stream based but personally I'm not ruling anything out. Google has the money to do anything.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Google just added support for Switch controllers to Chromium:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1510080

This adds support for Nintendo Switch controllers through Gamepad API:

* Switch Pro (USB and Bluetooth)
* Joy-Con L (Bluetooth)
* Joy-Con R (Bluetooth)
* Joy-Con L+R (Bluetooth)
* Charging Grip (USB)

This was in the works since Jan 2018 (or at least reported as a bug):
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=801717

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there Xbox controller support yet?
Seems so, last year had some code commits for the latest Xbox controllers.

Edit:
Digging into code, there's support for a massive list of controllers from Mad Catz, Valve, Hori, Microsoft, Logitech, Sony and Nintendo to name a few. This is all through Chromium (AKA Chrome, ChromeOS, etc), which I am going to assume is the front-end for their cross-platform streaming service (?).

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
The few little VR crumbs have got me hyped that they might take a big swing at a new HMD and attack the gaming space with a two-pronged streaming + VR approach. I'm not sure how interested I'll be if VR isn't involved...

Even something like an app that enables Project Stream to run in a theater-like mode in Daydream would sell me a Daydream and a subscription, probably.

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017
Right now, it just seems like this is going to be Chromecast Ultra Gaming with a emphasis on reduced input controller lag. I feel like picture quality will improve next generation of this product but they have to nail the response times otherwise I don't think this sets it aside from any other streaming box. Plus, I imagine it comes with a trial for an all you can eat gaming service with games like Assasin's Creed and the new Doom game.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point of Google offering dedicated hardware.

What do you get with the official box that you don't get through the browser or through a Chromecast?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah if Google pushes it, some one else is going to get off the market. We can't sustain 4 Giants.

Probably Google themselves.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any updated 'sources' or rumours on what the hardware actually is?

I always assumed that the hardware would just be a controller with or without a dongle you can plug into a TV. That the platform would be streaming only. It only ever made sense to me that Google would want to get into the game-platform business because of streaming, because streaming would lower the barrier to them getting in on this. If they were gonna do a local box in a serious way, they could have joined the race years ago.

But then there seemed to be a new round of rumouring that there was also actually a full fat console. And some posters here said that this was 'known' (including an admin here, for whatever that's worth).

Has there been anything more since that?

(I still think it makes most sense for Google to go with a streaming platform and to avoid the overhead of physical box distribution. They could also potentially do some interesting things with a streaming-only platform that would be less easily done if they need to also support local execution on local boxes. I think even if they did have one it probably would be of secondary focus, a short term thing, and not get huge distribution. But I'm wondering if we have any solid sourcing on the idea of a full console box.)

---

The other possibility is that the box is neither a completely dumb dongle, nor a local console, but an optional 'assist' box for local latency compensation, similar to what MS is rumoured to be working on. So the platform would be streaming only, but they'd market this box as an option for players who need 'the best latency'.

I was thinking nothing but streaming til maybe a week ago when rumors started flying.

Im sure its really ( the main business) a streaming service. But the could easily have a console to go along with it as long as its optional. They wouldnt have to be racing for console sales if the real money is in the streaming subs.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I wonder when the service will launch. Will it be an 'available today' thing? Perhaps a further beta but globally? Or maybe it's a while off launching and they're announcing at GDC to drum up developer support before launch?

What do you get with the official box that you don't get through the browser or through a Chromecast?
Low latency, a more reliable experience and less bandwidth usage.

Especially when it comes to 4K HDR, streaming that all day is going to use a shit ton of bandwidth. And if you don't like the latency at 1080p, it'll be even higher at 4K.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder when the service will launch. Will it be an 'available today' thing? Perhaps a further beta but globally? Or maybe it's a while off launching and they're announcing at GDC to drum up developer support before launch?

Low latency, a more reliable experience and less bandwidth usage.

Especially when it comes to 4K HDR, streaming that all day is going to use a shit ton of bandwidth. And if you don't like the latency at 1080p, it'll be even higher at 4K.
How do you get less latency running with a hdmi dongle than directly from a TV app?

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
After giving it more thought and having plenty of experience of dealing with Google's products and services for the past decade (and the pain they bring) I can forsee the following being announced

It launches "US only" with further countries to follow
It launches as a 'Trial beta' and will need to register to use the service
Both of the above...

I really hope I'm wrong and it launches worldwide to all Google users on the 19th of March, but I simply can't see it.

Part of me also wonders whether Google has taken over Geforce Now (Nvidia's) infrastructure as this product has been in limbo for quite some time (It's also been in 'free to use Beta' status for over 6 months now) Personally this would be great news to me as I own 2 Nvidia Shields and would love to see the little Icon on the device change to a 'Insert Googles new cloud gaming offering here' icon on Tuesday.

*Edit* Also I really, really can't see hardware being announced on Tuesday, unless it's a Chromecast type deal. EVERY hardware product Google touches leaks months and months in advance. The Pixel 2 conference was a little bit of a Joke because everyone knew the exact specifications and look of the device. If Tuesday rolls around and a Giant powerhouse of a console is launched i'll be more surprised than if I walked home to see Santa sticking presents under the tree in the Middle of March.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Google is not really a hardware company. They have always relied on / incentivized others to create hardware for their platform. I imagine this is going to be no different from their strategy with phones. If there was a "console" (and I still do not believe it) then it is going to be Steam Machine 2.0. If it is just a streaming dongle, then I can see Google making it on their own because of its cheap cost.

Another reason why I think Steam Machine 2.0 is a better strategy for Google: They do not need to convince developers to make another version of their game. That is going to be a large hurdle for any new console company, even Google. It can be dead on arrival if there is not enough support. Whatever hardware is going to be revealed, it is not custom made for Google. It will be off-the-shelf parts.

The whole point behind the Pixel (phones, tablet, laptop), smart speakers,... is that Google built an internal hardware division 3 years ago called Create to make their products instead of relying on partnerships with OEMs.

We know they will cut the production of laptop / tablets while continuing smart speakers and smartphones, i can see them adding a console (either a traditional one, or a set-top box with gaming functionalities)

I really hope I'm wrong and it launches worldwide to all Google users on the 19th of March, but I simply can't see it.

The website for the GDC product announcement is their store and that page is localized in all languages which suggests a worldwide reveal.

They didn't do this with previous US only products (like the Pixel Slate for instance)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

A pleasant user experience easy to navigate with a controller? Native media apps? I would never use a Chromecast over a Roku, and I definitely wouldn't use a browser over either of those. They want something that works well in the living room.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
ME TOO

my wife and I got these questions last fucking night.

But you would think they'd do this kind of research months in advance?
Hey John it's almost time for the big event do you have the final draft of that research regarding if people want a Google console?

...Uhm yeah it's at my desk I'll be right back *runs to desk and sends out a survey as he starts to panic*

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't feel good about Google getting into console gaming. They are already spying on enough aspects of our lives. They're going to find some innovative way to ruin our fun.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't feel good about Google getting into console gaming. They are already spying on enough aspects of our lives. They're going to find some innovative way to ruin our fun.

I don't like that there's another tech giant coming to play. But I do like that consoles are doing so good that Google would go this far. I mean, we don't know if they're doing it, but it's a serious consideration at this point. I think that's a great sign for consoles at least the near future.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I don't like that there's another tech giant coming to play. But I do like that consoles are doing so good that Google would go this far. I mean, we don't know if they're doing it, but it's a serious consideration at this point. I think that's a great sign for consoles at least the near future.

Hmmm, don't see it like that. Google wants to control all streaming services: video, music, books, etc. And with this move they want change gaming, forever. Bring in all third-party publishers to their streaming service, and eventually destroy gaming as we know it today. No more hardware and just competing streaming services, where Google with their infrastructure will be king. So it's not about more competition and more exclusive games, it's about controlling the media and changing it forever.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Hmmm, don't see it like that. Google wants to control all streaming services: video, music, books, etc. And with this move they want change gaming, forever. Bring in all third-party publishers to their streaming service, and eventually destroy gaming as we know it today. No more hardware and just competing streaming services, where Google with their infrastructure will be king. So it's not about more competition and more exclusive games, it's about controlling the media and changing it forever.
Does any of that magically prevent good games from being made in future? If anything making gaming as cheap and accessible and easy to as many people as possible can only be a good thing for gaming, far and wide. Look at all the quality content we're getting on something like Netflix, content that may have floundered and may never have been made in the first place in the old traditional ways of doing things.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017

The change towards streaming is coming, Google or not.

Otherwise, these are all the fears I had when Microsoft enter the market, but it turned out to be a very competitive market. They were not able to just waltz in even with all the money. I'm not that afraid of Google coming in and ruining everything, even if it is a possibility. Microsoft is going for this streaming sub thing and it's going to be big money so they're going to be doing the same thing.

Maybe the two of them and then something like Amazon going at it would eventually leave everything in shambles. But maybe things could turn out fine? We're talkin years in the future and truth is stranger than fiction. Anything could happen.