• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wild guess. It's a more advanced Switch. Android streaming on the go, plus you can dock it and use a regular controller on a TV. Also handheld device has the Pixel 3 camera in it, so you can take images/videos and it all syncs like Google.

Oh shit. This would line up with 'not traditional console' and 'not streaming only box' - i'd Be totally down for something like that as long as the local performance is good enough - I.e switch level minimum - and streaming as an option for pc quality streaming and good third party coverage

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wild guess. It's a more advanced Switch. Android streaming on the go, plus you can dock it and use a regular controller on a TV. Also handheld device has the Pixel 3 camera in it, so you can take images/videos and it all syncs like Google.

This makes a lot of sense. Also matches it not being a traditional console, much like the Switch isn't.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017

Wei this is what I totally hope it is! Imagine having something priced as a high end smart phone but for gaming (not to think of N-gage) but that would suit me perfectly!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The wild guess seems to be the good thing. Like having a Switch but way more 3rd party and probably not reduced graphics because it a stream box also.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think google going to AMD and getting a APU and making a console is so far fetched?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The wild guess seems to be the good thing. Like having a Switch but way more 3rd party and probably not reduced graphics because it a stream box also.

Well also the rumour about joycon support in chrome - maybe as well as their own hardware like a switch, the streaming also works *on* the switch?

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm just not convinced it'll be a steaming box alone - I don't see that as feasible until FTTP/FTTH connections become the standard for the vast majority of households and video/audio compression gets better - and living in Britain, we're at least a decade away from that.

I suspect some sort of hybrid approach, with a "console" playing a considerable number of games, with a steaming service offering alongside that powering the "AAA", graphically intensive titles that works with the "console" and devices like the Chromecast.

Of course, this is some "tales from my ass"-tier speculation on my part.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
They're going to need to make that work if they want this new system to hit the mainstream.

Doesn't make much sense that a mainstream audience that cares about competitive multiplayer would buy a streaming device over a console like the Xbox or PS4. Not saying they won't have those types of games on a streaming box, but this device to me seems to target an audience that wouldn't buy a traditional console in the first place and probably isn't all that concerned about latency and other shortcomings of streaming.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Streaming Hardware with offline Android support. I hope I'm wrong

A real console would be problematic. No way my wife would accept another one in our living room lol

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they still need hardware to actually put in the data centers for streaming so why not also sell that to consumers.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they still need hardware to actually put in the data centers for streaming so why not also sell that to consumers.
I mean, if they don't, I'm sure we can look forward to several videos on "How to build your own Google Box!". I remember a YouTube tutorial before the WiiU came out on building an equivalently powerful PC.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017

This could be amazing. A controller when you're at home with your rig, and then a portable streaming/gaming device when you're on the bus/at uni/on the toilet.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
A nice feature I could see being implemented would be controller compatibility across the board, especially given the Switch Chrome news

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Just two more days and we'll know the truth.

If it is a portable console ala Nvidia Shield/Nintendo Switch but with better hardware and streaming capabilities....

It's probably a day one buy.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So what games announcements can we expect from this conference?
While I feel that teaser suggests Google has 8 games in development I doubt they will show off more than 4 first party offerings.

All of them will have a multiplayer component.

Besides Sega and Ubisoft having a presence I would be surprised if Take 2 weren't also on board. Out of the japanese devs Capcom should be on board but I doubt it.

AzzX

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it will just be a streaming box due to Googles relationship and fondess of VR and augmented Reality. I cant see Streaming ever being good enough for VR - is it even possible? Definitely not enough to power this: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/23/17383990/google-lg-vr-display-high-res-headsets

Maybe some AR type info apps it may work.

On the other hand, Google may surprise us with some crazy streaming tech which is VR capable. Not long to find out.
CES 2019 and MWC 2019 had multiple major telecoms partnered with several headset manufacturers/qualcomm to demo 5G VR streaming. HTC's got the best one, with a solution that's good enough for Super Hot, but nothing will be consumer ready by the end of 2019.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Did you see that Bandai Namco's tweet? It dates from January 8 but no one seemed to have seen it.
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/1082767235364474880

Thank you for inviting us @Google! We're excited to work with you in 2019 to make video games more fun for everyone!

Yeeaaah... That really feels like an obvious hint at Google's game streaming service, I'm doubting more each day that google will show an actual console.

AzzX

Oct 25, 2017
CES 2019 and MWC 2019 had multiple major telecoms partnered with several headset manufacturers/qualcomm to demo 5G VR streaming. HTC's got the best one, with a solution that's good enough for Super Hot, but nothing will be consumer ready by the end of 2019.

Cheers for the link, very interesting. The experience does need to be near perfect to get the masses on board but its progressing quickly, will be watching Googles presentation with great interest.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So they don't have to worry about committing to one hardware configuration. If you're running a streaming service, you can just continually upgrade hardware and offer the consumer a constant improvement in graphics technology with every step. Commit to a box, and suddenly every single game needs to run on that box.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
like switch but with chrome browser in it...i dont think it will be only stream device. If it's so, it will be epic fail of 2019 and google

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they don't have to worry about committing to one hardware configuration. If you're running a streaming service, you can just continually upgrade hardware and offer the consumer a constant improvement in graphics technology with every step. Commit to a box, and suddenly every single game needs to run on that box.
Most servers don't get their hardware upgraded for 3-5 years anyway so that lines up with a new console generation.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Do you realize how costly it would be for Google to constantly upgrade hardware on that scale every year? Especially for something as uncertain as gaming.
Do you realize how much money and influence Google has?

It's entirely about having control. I doubt Google would actually upgrade their equipment more frequently than the average console cycle - but the ability to do so is a key advantage of a streaming platform. In theory, they are totally capable of gaining a visual edge on the competition at any time - as long as they're willing to pay the price. They don't have to sell a new box, the consumer just immediately benefits.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure it will just be a streaming box due to Googles relationship and fondess of VR and augmented Reality. I cant see Streaming ever being good enough for VR - is it even possible? Definitely not enough to power this: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/23/17383990/google-lg-vr-display-high-res-headsets

Maybe some AR type info apps it may work.

On the other hand, Google may surprise us with some crazy streaming tech which is VR capable. Not long to find out.

Maybe they will show a self-contained VR headset like the Oculus Quest.