• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
https://slickdeals.net/f/12280186-n...tion-google-home-mini-1-free-shipping?page=98

Still working as of this post.

Notes:

Not a new Premium subscriber? Just create a new account. I don't know if you can use the same payment method. I used a different credit card just to be safe.

On step #2, it really looks like they're going to charge you $15 for Family, but it just upgrades your existing Premium plan.

Black and white colors OOS. You only have Coral option.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped on this deal last night. I've very recently went from having no smart assistants to having an Echo Dot and now a Google Home Mini on the way.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy that for a dollar.
maxresdefault.jpg

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
NSA spying plans really hitting their stride.

.... I kid. Kinda!

Tempted to go for this too, but I think the dollar dot is good enough for me.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Can you insta cancel the Spotify and not get charged anything other than the $1? I did the Echo Dot for $1 deal and Amazon at least makes it easy to cancel.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't it creep people out that these companies are willing to throw away this much money just to get these smart devices inside your house?

OP
OP

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Shouldn't it creep people out that these companies are willing to throw away this much money just to get these smart devices inside your house?

I consider these devices as spyware.

I personally don't plan on keeping my $1 Echo Dot nor $1 Home Mini. Just going to give them away.

EDIT:
I consider my smartphone to be spyware too. But I really need that for practical purposes in both work and life. Digital assistants though, I can easily do without.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

A little bit, but we already have cell phones which have the same capabilities and functions going so we've already lost that battle. And then if you wanna get stuff going, giving it out for free and reaping in purchases from the buzz it creates, not a bad way. The market is so saturated with tech what other choice do you have.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No more than I'm creeped out by my cable company providing my modem and cable box for free. It's all about selling the services provided by these cheap devices.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
No more than I'm creeped out by my cable company providing my modem and cable box for free. It's all about selling the services provided by these cheap devices.
That's... not really a good comparison. You're already paying them ~50-150 a month to get these in your house, and they're just lending you the hardware in most cases, and often even charging you to rent them.

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't these one of those recording devices that can possibly be used against you if you kill your spouse? No thanks.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's... not really a good comparison. You're already paying them ~50-150 a month to get these in your house, and they're just lending you the hardware in most cases, and often even charging you to rent them.

I don't pay for it at all. You can think of any comparison you want, there are tons of business plans like this. Selling razor blades for cheap and making profit off the blades.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Really tempted because it's just a buck, but I'm failing to come up with a reason to actually use it. So I'm gonna have to pass.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't pay for it at all. You can think of any comparison you want, there are tons of business plans like this. Selling razor blades for cheap and making profit off the blades.
You don't pay for your cable? If you cancel they let you keep the hardware? This isn't a razorblade model, it's a much bigger play. Google and amazon are fighting over becoming the operating system for your house.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
Sidenote: If you dont play a single song you can immediately go through customer support and get a refund for your dollar. Then it's a truly free Google Home Mini.

Aren't these one of those recording devices that can possibly be used against you if you kill your spouse? No thanks.
A-are ya planning on killing your spouse?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I got two.

Signed up for a free 30 day trial then upgraded that to a family account, got the home mini's ordered (which are currently on their way) and then canceled both family accounts.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks OP! Grabbed one! But am I still gonna get charged $15 for the family upgrade?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, I didn't bother making a new account and just upgraded my premium sub to family, used the code, and then reverted my sub back to premium after ordering the google home. Did I just get my google home for free? Because it feels like I did.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should have to pay *you* to install such a comprehensive surveillance apparatus in your house

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Just got it and will immediately go on eBay. Does the Home Mini come linked to my Google account? Should I open it and unlink it?

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Got one without problems.
Will definitely test it's compatibility with Chromecast.

It's nice to have if you can't find your phone/tablet to cast. Asking to see the newest video from a channel on YouTube is pretty great although asking for a specific season/show on Netflix or Hulu gets a little wordy.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
All they had left was the coral color. I think this is the first time I've gotten in on one of these deals. I already have the normal sized Google home speaker. I guess this can go in in bathroom. Does it run on batteries or do I have to plug it up?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So far it seems like no charges have been incurred, so I think I got mine entirely free by using my already premium account.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
All they had left was the coral color. I think this is the first time I've gotten in on one of these deals. I already have the normal sized Google home speaker. I guess this can go in in bathroom. Does it run on batteries or do I have to plug it up?

It plugs in, but uses less power than the full size one and can run off an external USB battery if you want. It's not ideal since it's always on, but if you wanted it out in the backyard for a couple of hours it'd work for that.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It plugs in, but uses less power than the full size one and can run off an external USB battery if you want. It's not ideal since it's always on, but if you wanted it out in the backyard for a couple of hours it'd work for that.
I guess it can go in the living room then. I'll keep using this cheap blue tooth speaker that runs on rechargeable batteries in the bathroom.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Only Coral remaining, but in theory it'll be here in a couple weeks. Not sure what all I'll use it for, but I've been meaning to give one of these things a spin.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I have a roku smart tv. (tcl 49 inch)
anyone know if you can set up this (or an echo dot since I have one of those coming as well) to fully voice command the roku device including turning on and off the TV?

done, got the ugly coral color as it was the only one left, but 1$ can't be beat

It seems like Walmart and other stores carry the google home mini at stores. You could go there and ask them if they would allow you to exchange colors? Worst case they say no.