• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
In theory they shouldn't be. As I understand it they are constantly listening for the trigger word, such as Hey Google, Alexa. Some kind of listen and record loop that is deleted unless it has the trigger to actually sent over to the company
Yep, this is supposedly how they work currently, they don't send anything home until they hear the trigger word, but if this is the case I don't understand how they are being used as crime scene witnesses, unless someone is going "Alexa, I am going to kill my wife now". Seems like the live audio is still being saved somewhere, and even if it's not, it's a small update to do so once the companies decide it would be more advantageous for them. It's not like they sign a contract guaranteeing that they will always operate this way.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm so i signed up for 0.99 3 months and when i click to upgrade to premium family it wants to charge me $18 is this correct ?

EDIT : nm looks like this is US only, oh well only cost me .99 cents

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is supposedly how they work currently, they don't send anything home until they hear the trigger word, but if this is the case I don't understand how they are being used as crime scene witnesses, unless someone is going "Alexa, I am going to kill my wife now". Seems like the live audio is still being saved somewhere, and even if it's not, it's a small update to do so once the companies decide it would be more advantageous for them. It's not like they sign a contract guaranteeing that they will always operate this way.

Think about it like this:

In order for Google home to hear you say "hey Google" it would need to hear you say everything else too. It doesn't just start listening to only hey Google because it doesn't know when you'd actually say it unless it was listening in the first place.

I imagine that's how it works anyway.

So with that being said, maybe they have an AI learning algorithm that listens to your accent to help it understand the way you talk. So if you have a thick accent, it can still understand "hey Google" clearly enough.

I'm still getting one it's a $1.06 lol

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the info. Got the deal. First time with a device like this. Curious to see its utility.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Man I love Competition. Amazon just hit back with a $2 echo 3rd gen with 3 months of amazon music unlimited for $2 total. Check Slick deals. Just got an 3rd gen dot for $1.07 coming next week!

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I love Competition. Amazon just hit back with a $2 echo 3rd gen with 3 months of amazon music unlimited for $2 total. Check Slick deals. Just got an 3rd gen dot for $1.07 coming next week!

Big money to be made selling your conversations to marketing firms! :)

When 23 and me starts selling DNA tests for $1, be very very afraid.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
What the hell kind of FedEx service is Google using that takes ELEVEN DAMN DAYS to deliver?

Shipped November 17
Arriving November 28

I'll be sure to never order anything else from the Google Store.

Christ.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... and then you realize that not even 30 years ago, institutions like the stasi had to go through great lenghts to get this much access to someone's life.

These "OMG spy devices" posts are annoying. Like you don't carry around a smartphone in your pocket.

yeah, if only open source operating systems where a thing that exists.... oh, wait!

In theory they shouldn't be. As I understand it they are constantly listening for the trigger word, such as Hey Google, Alexa. Some kind of listen and record loop that is deleted unless it has the trigger to actually sent over to the company

Nobody can guarantee you that they don't have a few more secret key words for marketing or other purposes.
Especially after this year, American tech companies do not deserve any benefit of the doubt. none.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
What the hell kind of FedEx service is Google using that takes ELEVEN DAMN DAYS to deliver?

Shipped November 17
Arriving November 28

Christ.
Yeah mine shipped the 18th and won't be arriving until the 26th. It's California to Arizona. Should take at most 3 days. Maybe the holidays are slowing things down I don't know. Fedex.

Oct 27, 2017
I had someone hack my spotify account, enable family subscriptions, add their address, order the google home mini, and then put everything back.

It was fucking weird and I was pissed.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
They shipped it smart post, which is the slowest service any of these companies offer outside of Media Mail, I think. Even then it might be slower.

FedEx, in my experience, is also just slower than the other two main shipment companies in general.

I had someone hack my spotify account, enable family subscriptions, add their address, order the google home mini, and then put everything back.

It was fucking weird and I was pissed.

That seems... stupid? I made a new account for this and it took no time at all. Can't imagine anyone trying to swipe a Spotify account has a lot of common sense though.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Shipped November 17
Arriving November 28

Christ.

Mine is shipping by Fedex Smartpost, that slow as molasses service where they hand it off to the post office towards the end of delivery.

pepe_silvia

Oct 27, 2017
Did any of you have to wait to redeem the Google Home Mini after signing up for Premium? I got the message that I'd be eligible for the Mini, but never received an email for it and when I click step #3 on the Slickdeals page it says "We're sorry but you're not able to redeem at this moment."

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Dang, I'm always late in seeing these threads. Signed up but didn't get an email for the Google Home yet...

Is this still available? Didn't see it on Slick Deals.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, I thought this was supposed to still be working? I'm getting a message saying I'm not able to redeem the Google Home Mini after doing the other steps.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox Alexa integration actually is pretty damn cool. I don't care if Amazon is now listening to everything that happens in my house. I mean I kind of do but honestly they aren't really hearing much. I'm pretty quiet.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, I'm always late in seeing these threads. Signed up but didn't get an email for the Google Home yet...

Is this still available? Didn't see it on Slick Deals.
It's dead again. I'm not sure if it's because they keep running out of echos, or if it's officially dead since it popped up twice in a week. The notification spam from the slick deals app on my Apple Watch was worth it lol

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol do you own a cell phone? It probably has a camera too and can record everything already
What sort of reductive reasoning is this? "You already own a portable device that gives you access to virtually all of mankind's collective knowledge and it has an optional camera, so I guess you may as well just litter your home with always-on audio recording trinkets which store your audio on servers operated by a company that explicitly uses your data in undefined ways for financial gain. Lol."

Jim

Oct 27, 2017
Subscribed/ordered on 11/20, got the mini yesterday. Was surprised how quick they sent it out to be honest.