• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know what the pixel ultra is. Did Google confirm the pixel 3 design last year after all the leaks? If not then why now? I only suggested a possible decoy because its odd for a company to confirm a rumor this far ahead of launch all while in the middle of a current product launch with the pixel 3a. Google has done weird and viral marketing campaigns before.
It was just funny that people weren't believing the notch reveal for the 3xl and waiting for a full screen "pixel 3 ultra" that never came.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Enough with these fucking cameras already!

But we aren't even close to the end game:

hero-slide-1.png

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's flush against the back where you'll never be seeing it anyway, what's the problem here exactly?
I just wish smartphone makers would try to innovate in other ways. They keep focusing on the cameras and I feel like we've reached a point to where it no longer matters. Cause even budget phones have great ones now. And all of it seems like overkill when most users are just taking pictures for Instagram and Facebook, pictures that are basically downgraded.

Idk, I know there are professionals who use smartphones camera to create content, but it's too much for the average person.

Seems like escalation just for the sake of escalation 😭

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How irrational does one have to be to claim that Google is copying a phone that doesn't even exist yet?

You're kidding right?

Google knows their design is based on the iPhone, so they are trying ti beat them to the market. This isn't a new thing, not even outside of Google. It was being done with analog sticks back in the 90s, as companies like Sega raced to put analog sticks in their controllers in time for the launch of the N64.

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish smartphone makers would try to innovate in other ways. They keep focusing on the cameras and I feel like we've reached a point to where it no longer matters. Cause even budget phones have great ones now. And all of it seems like overkill when most users are just taking pictures for Instagram and Facebook, pictures that are basically downgraded.

Idk, I know there are professionals who use smartphones camera to create content, but it's too much for the average person.

Google has always made the fidelity of their cameras their #1 feature and have been an industry leader in this regard, so it's a little odd to get mad at them in particular for iterating on the camera. Also we don't know anything about the phone besides looks, how do you know they aren't innovating in other ways?

In addition, there are many other phones out there innovating in great ways. Samsung has added fingerprint ID on their screen and can charge other devices wirelessly with the S10, Xiaomi has a camera underneath the display, LG G8 has a vibrating OLED screen that functions as a speaker, and Apple has pioneered truly secure FaceID scanner, just to name a few. I'm not sure what else people are expecting in terms of "innovation", when in reality the technology is developing fairly consistently with cameras only being one of the factors.

It's like the back of a car, plenty of people care. I don't personally.
I'd understand if it was bulging out and affecting the aesthetics and literal balance of the phone (it's not). It's as flat and nondescript as if it weren't even there, only calling attention to itself if you slap a case on it, which all phones have cameras there anyway.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're kidding right?

Google knows their design is based on the iPhone, so they are trying ti beat them to the market. This isn't a new thing, not even outside of Google. It was being done with analog sticks back in the 90s, as companies like Sega raced to put analog sticks in their controllers in time for the launch of the N64.

This is ridiculous. There's no way Google decided to completely redesign their phone at the last minute over the last few weeks because the iPhone XI has a square camera cut out on the back. What an asinine argument.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
So they took the iphone square camera bump design, made it look better, then released it first. Cheeky. (assuming the invisible lenses and overall matt surface is how it will look)

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC

I think you should take a moment and use a real camera again. Phones still have a long ways to go.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Not a fan of the forehead. Is it so difficult to just make a phone that is symmetrical? Same with the slight chins on most Android phones now like the S10s. I'm happy with what the smaller Pixel 3 has done. A symmetrical fairly narrow chin and forehead. I also think practically having a little bit of room at the bottom helps ergonomics as it's quite precarious trying to use a navigation strip right at the very bottom of the phone's face.

I'm fairly happy with my Pixel 2 except for the issue below and my battery health being at about 70%, but if nothing compelling is released when my contract is up next January I think I'll get the battery replaced and rock this until something I like hits (like a full screen modern spec iPhone SE being my dream phone).

---
Ahh, finally a Pixel thread! Off topic but has anyone else with a Pixel 2 having issues with Pull to Refresh in Chrome activating midway down a page when you try to scroll down. I'm getting it happen really frequently and it's bugging the hell out of me. Keep refreshing pages when I'm nowhere near the top of the page.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I think you should take a moment and use a real camera again. Phones still have a long ways to go.
I have an expensive DSLR. What I mean is—smartphone cameras aren't more than good enough for the average person taking selfies and Instagram photos. Obviously they're still behind professional ones.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have an expensive DSLR. What I mean is—smartphone cameras aren't more than good enough for the average person taking selfies and Instagram photos. Obviously they're still behind professional ones.

I have a 10 month old and want phone cameras to get better. It is also the single feature that drives my purchase decisions. I imagine it is the same for a good portion of the market.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I have a 10 month old and want phone cameras to get better. It is also the single feature that drives my purchase decisions. I imagine it is the same for a good portion of the market.

As an owner of a DSLR and bunch of prime lenses, with little kids I agree it is much more useful having a good camera phone in your pocket all the time, compared to an awesome camera on your shelf. So I appreciate that mobile phone cameras continue to improve every year. I'm especially looking forward to Light's sensor arrays improving and appearing on more phones in the coming years.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on that terrible render I made, here's a much better made one by someone else.

I dig it.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if they'll still be targeting the upper high end and then release a cheapo 4a version or just lower the price of this one a bit.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on onleaks track record this is it!

I like this a lot.

The video states that it has 3 cameras in the rear and you can see it on the pic below.

img_5d2325a842916.png

img_5d2325d48311f-768x618.png

Google-Pixel-4-XL_5K_2.jpg

Last edited:

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Those bezels are fine. Shame they removed the rear fingerprint scanner, but I'm still getting it.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preordering this as soon as I can. I started with the original Pixel XL and currently have the Pixel 2 XL. Skipped the 3 XL due to that notch but this Pixel 4 is on some elegant premium tier shit and I Iove it for it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Zrcoa3A.png

I don't care much about phones having bezels but that looks hideous with the rounded corners.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Front looks good, but they still need to center those ugly as sin camera squares on the back. Hideous

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Is the fingerprint reader on a side button now, like the s10e or is it in-screen or what?

Will definitely be interested in the 4a variant next year.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Similar to the Pixel 2XL. Though it appears to be a slimmer bezel. Looking at my Pixel 2XL now and yeah, it's definitely slimmer on the 4.

google-walleye-taiman-kf2-d-1017