• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah, I mean, for $8 more (the Pixel 3a XL is $511 after tax), you can get a Samsung Galaxy S10e and it has:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223396384078?ul_noapp=true

• Smaller bezels
  • 128GB of storage (UFS)
  • 6GB of RAM
  • Wireless charging (with reverse charge)
  • Waterproof
  • Dual camera
  • Dual SIM
  • Gorilla Glass
  • HDR10
  • Exynos 9820 (equivalent of Snapdragon 855)
  • USB 3.1

I truly regret my impulse purchases. I hope I can sell these phones (and keep the trade-in and gift card money).

Is there a noticeable difference between the two (performance wise)?

I just got a 3a, but I'm still within the return window.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anecdotally, I'm getting 5-6 hours of SoT from my Pixel 3a. It definitely doesn't go two days between charges like my Moto X4 did.

Question:

What happens if I return the phones after I get my $259 trade-in refund? Will I get the full $479?

You'll get store credit, I believe. (A restocking fee may also apply.) There's only a 15 day return period as well, so you might not get your refund first anyhow.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I've sent in my phone in the pre packaged box and 3 to 4 days later, the status is still showing, "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item" on the tracking."

I'm pretty sure that I'm fucked and someone at the USPS distribution center stole that shit. I'm sure an employees would recognize the box and know what that is.

Sometimes USPS forget to scan it at departure. When they scan it at destination it will show up.

May 10, 2018
Looks like I may finally get my hands on
one of these. Long story short, ordered a pixel 3a 3 weeks ago. FedEx lost it and after a back and forth, got confirmation google is sending a replacement.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
recieve mine.

Got questions :

how to have the screen wake up and be ready to get unlocked without pressing the side button ?
anyway to get rid of the lower bar and summon it when needed by sliding up from the bottom ?
no night theme yet ?

Oct 25, 2017
México
recieve mine.

Got questions :

how to have the screen wake up and be ready to get unlocked without pressing the side button ?
anyway to get rid of the lower bar and summon it when needed by sliding up from the bottom ?
no night theme yet ?
The navigation bar auto-hide is possible only with the classics navigation bar (Back, Home, Recent buttons). But those buttons were removed from Android P on the Pixels. But they are returning in Android Q to the Pixels (in August).

Night time is also coming in Android Q.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
I'm liking it. Coming from an s9 and a Razer phone. Don't really notice the speed unless next to each other.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Having had a phone with a front and much slower finger print reader for a few years, I find I'm sometimes unlocking my 3a by accident when putting it in my pocket - apparently by the way I'm handling it and I suppose brushing the sensor with my finger. I'm going to have to work on that, lol!!

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How are purchaser's experiences so far?

The 3a is a downgrade in just about every way from my Moto X4 except for the camera (and performance, but that's close in day to day usage). Lackluster battery life, awful screen, back fingerprint reader, lack of hand-waving gesture, no water resistance, etc. That I'm using a TPU case doesn't help (have a slim case on order).

The thing is that having a decent camera is really important to me (for taking candid/active photos of my kid), so I'm willing to put up with the downsides.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The 3a is a downgrade in just about every way from my Moto X4 except for the camera (and performance, but that's close in day to day usage). Lackluster battery life, awful screen, back fingerprint reader, lack of hand-waving gesture, no water resistance, etc. That I'm using a TPU case doesn't help (have a slim case on order).

The thing is that having a decent camera is really important to me (for taking candid/active photos of my kid), so I'm willing to put up with the downsides.
Aren't the soc and display on the 3a better? Surprised you'd have worse performance.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't the soc and display on the 3a better? Surprised you'd have worse performance.

That seems super odd with a newer SoC and more ram on stock Android, could it be the X4 has some more lengthy UI transitions that make it feel smoother?

My wife's has been working out great so far, been very impressed with how snappy it is, and the random doggo pictures she sends me are great looking, gotta borrow it and go take some pictures of the trees outside blooming at the moment.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That seems super odd with a newer SoC and more ram on stock Android, could it be the X4 has some more lengthy UI transitions that make it feel smoother?

My wife's has been working out great so far, been very impressed with how snappy it is, and the random doggo pictures she sends me are great looking, gotta borrow it and go take some pictures of the trees outside blooming at the moment.
I think it might have less ram (x4 is 6gb iirc) so not sure. And I think lengthier animations usually have the opposite effect lol.

Might try one out in person today and see what the screen is like. Still deciding 🤔

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I think it might have less ram (x4 is 6gb iirc) so not sure. And I think lengthier animations usually have the opposite effect lol.

Might try one out in person today and see what the screen is like. Still deciding 🤔

Everything I see shows the X4 at 3 gb, unless there is a higher spec variant I am not seeing?

I recall seeing some articles awhile back regarding perceived speed being alot higher with fancier smooth transition animations even when it's actually a longer time, not sure if the X4 might be doing something similar that makes it feel smoother when you don't compare head to head or time it.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Sorry that I wasn't clear. The 3a generally delivers slightly better performance (maybe not for storage-intensive tasks) and has a vastly better camera than the X4. Those are the two positives.

The 3a's OLED is one of the worst on the market. The X4's LCD is reasonably good (minimal color shift, much sharper, easier to see in sunlight). I'd take a good LCD over a poor OLED any day of the week.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018

I bought my mother the X4 last year. I greatly prefer the 3a's screen to that. I can't really attest to it's battery life, since she doesn't live with me, but I've had great battery life on my 3a(between 5hrs-7hrs of SoT), especially coming from the Pixel 2 XL. As for the fingerprint reader placement, that's subjective. The only thing I miss from my P2XL is water resistance.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Tried one quickly in person today. Display seems bright enough, at least from phones I'm used to. I'm sure more premium OLEDs destroy it but since I haven't used any I probably wouldn't mind lol.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I tried pixel 3a, it's a good device but I was a bit surprised how slow it is. It's not unusable or anything like that but it's very obviously slower than a 8xx phone in any task, I was expecting a lot better, I assumed 8xx SoCs must be way overkill but apparently they are not. I tried hearthstone and pubg. You can make pubg run ok but hearthstone was running so poor and there is nothing you can do about it.

The screen is also not that great. It's like bottom of the barrel OLED.

I think if you're looking for a device at this price range you should consider spending like a ~100 more get something like S10e which has come down in price a lot and is a real flagship tier phone and way nicer device, and comes with a good camera with wide angle, or OnePlus 6T or the new ZenPhone 6 also looks great and are just more appealing. I think it's just not cheap enough. I'm expecting it to get big price cut later in the year, for $300 it's great deal.

The camera is good taking photos but video is really not very good. It's so soft compared with S10e. Overall I think for like $570ish S10e sells for you get a whole lot of phone and it's easily worth it over Pixel 3a. Underrated device.

Last edited:

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How are purchaser's experiences so far?
My wife's 3 crapped out of nowhere last week. It turned off and never turned back on. No abuse, no dodgy apps or anything. We tried everything we found on google before RMAing it.

Needless to say, we're not touching one of these again. I guess it's a one in 500 occurrence or something, but it's the first time this has happened to either of us, and between us we must have owned 20 different phones over the past decade.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i made the mistake of trying out a 3a right next to a regular pixel 3....performance difference is definitely noticeable.

if it had 6gb ram i'd feel comfortable with the performance deficit and buying it

May 10, 2018
It took almost a month but I finally got mine today. Going to check it out in more detail later. Still sticking with my XR as my main phone but I thought I'd give Android a chance since the trade in deal seemed pretty great with my old iPhone 6 collecting dust.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Upgraded from Nexus 5X to Pixel 3a. Starts software in about 5-10% time it took the Nexus 5X, the camera is way better, it charges faster and holds charge better. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Basically been my experience too. If you're the type of person that buys a new phone every year or seeks out high end flagship devices I can see why it would be disappointing, but if you're the type to hold out for years on end and would buy a $400 phone to upgrade -- you know, the market it's aiming for -- it's a massive upgrade.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
How's the screen difference feel like to you. I'm on an S6 Edge and am too worried about moving to a phone that has a much lower resolution.
To tell you the truth, I like the screen a lot. I find that colors look just as good on it and there are a couple of settings just like on the Galaxy (vibrant, adaptive). The resolution peak is not as high but I find that I don't really notice the difference. Maybe, maybe if I had them side by side but for me at that point it's me being nitpicky. It's not a 720p screen so it doesn't stand out as bad against the Galaxy more like a 8.25 vs a 9.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I moved from a Pixel 1 to my 3a and it's been a dream, though it really feels like I got a Pixel refresh as the only real difference I noticed was that the 3a doesn't heat up as often.

My brother has gotten every flagship phone from every company for the last 5 years and I was happy with the Pixel 1 the whole time, except when it came to games performance. Thankfully I'm an avid gamer and mobile games do nothing for me.

If you have dabbled with being a few steps behind in phone tech or are perpetually looking for good deals in the budget phone space, buy the 3a.

Hope your not a mobile gamer as its really the only compromise I've noticed.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Android Q really makes using the Pixel 3a a more positive experience. For example, the screen hardware still sucks, but dark mode makes the color shifting less noticable (outside of Gmail, which is still all white). Dark mode and background usage restrictions probably also help with battery life. And the Q gestures are so much better than the Pie navigation (and pre-Pie buttons). Even the ridiculous "pre-lock screen" has been removed.

Yes, some programs are incompatibile, but they'll be fixed in time.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Basically been my experience too. If you're the type of person that buys a new phone every year or seeks out high end flagship devices I can see why it would be disappointing, but if you're the type to hold out for years on end and would buy a $400 phone to upgrade -- you know, the market it's aiming for -- it's a massive upgrade.
Pretty much me, I always go for midrange phones and this is one of the better ones I've had. I got it on a contract though as it was only £8 a month more than my SIM only contract. After the contract is up the extra won't even add up to half the price of the phone so seemed a solid deal, double the data as well.

I had a Mi5 before but the thing just got so fucking slow I'm glad I switched. Best screen I've personally had on a phone, the colours are incredible. Feels snappy. I'm glad I don't have one of those Uber Phones to compare it to in that respect.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's the kind of phone you really have to put things into perspective on.

$400 for a great camera, smooth android, and 3 years of guaranteed updates.

no other android phone can boast those 3 things at that price point. i'll live with a plastic body and apps opening up a second slower.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I can't take reviewers seriously when they claim that having back made of plastic instead of glass back is in any way related to a lack of wireless charging (or when they call a screen that's obviously exhibiting radical color shifting on camera "excellent").

Here's a more comprehensive review of the display:

For the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL, Google put in excellent polarization layers that significantly lowered screen reflections and viewing angle tints, and those had to be compromised in cutting costs for the Pixel 3a. The Pixel 3a is using less-effective layers, shifting segments of the display towards red, green, or blue at small sudden angles and rainbowing out near the edges. They also don't filter out as much incident light as current flagships, causing higher screen reflections, and allowing the OLED layer to bleed through and become more visible. The circular polarizer layer, which was introduced in the Pixel 2, was also omitted on the Pixel 3a.

The display brightness is bottom-of-the-barrel in typical Google style. The display gets just about as bright as any other Google phone, about 400–450 nits. There is most certainly a high brightness mode in the panel that Google does not wish to tap in to, but perhaps since the Pixel 3a has a mid-range panel it might not get that much brighter anyway. There is a lot to be desired from all of Google's displays, as none of them are particularly enjoyable to use outdoors.

The Google Pixel 3a slightly flops in rendering shadow details, consistently rendering shadows darker and crashing in luminance below 5% signal level. The Pixel 3a clips completely black at signal levels below 3% (color byte values below 7) at 200 nits, which correlates to luminance values below ~0.008 nits. This performs considerably worse than most OLEDs, including that of the Pixel 3 XL, but not as bad as on the Pixel 3. Google's Pixel phones have consistently had subpar black rendering, and it is certainly due to their calibration and nothardware.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
You'll be not taking half the reviews seriously then since the spectrum of comments on how the display is range from trash to meh to great. Probably the most variable point in all of the reviews.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The larger Pixel 3A has a 6-inch Full HD+ OLED display, while the smaller Pixel 3A measures in at 5.6 inches with the same resolution and display tech.

I'm annoyed 5.6" is considered "small" now-a-days. I miss when smartphones had sub-5" screens and could be easily manipulated with one hand.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my 3a xl randomly stopped turning on. I didn't realize TMobile had this ubreakifix agreement, so I already grabbed a G8 from TMobile for $420 because I had a 6s sitting around.

I actually really like the G8. Like I might just sell the 3a after I get it fixed.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone received their $100 GC from the Google Store yet?

I contacted support, This is what they responded with:
Code:
You will receive an email notifying that Promotional Balance is added to your account within 6 weeks after the end of the promotion (The promotion ends on May 18, 2019 at 11:59 pm PT).  Please note that the Promotional balance expires on August 31, 2019.

You can check the Store Credit balance by below steps:-

Sign in to Payment profile
 Click on the Account icon on top right.
 Click on Settings
 Scroll down to find the 'Store Credit' section.
It can be used to make future purchases on the Google Store.

Please note the 'Terms of sale and additional Promotional Balance terms' here.