• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Except for the fact that the phone is much more expensive than 423 pounds in the UK. Just like the deal at Costco is $550 on T-Mobile and after the instant savings and the fact that you have to have a Costco membership which is not free. The two phones are not equally comparable in price. It's disingenuous to state otherwise.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
My provider doesn't carry that phone unfortunately. I'm not paying out of pocket for my new phone, signing up for another two years gets me one for free. But they want me too sign up for bigger monthly plans for top tier phones.

Wait, do US contract phones work differently? Our tab system in Canada just spreads the payment of the phone over 24 months...

May 10, 2018
So I still got an old IPhone 6 laying around and apparently I can get an estimated $260 for it through the Google trade in which is surprising. Think I'll take the plunge since its gathering dust.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that a lot of people aren't talking about the screen brightness. After a cursory look, the only one that has addressed it with an entire paragraph is Tom's -- and correctly points out that even the Pixel 3 had terrible brightness.

Like I've said earlier, the choice of OLED is strange as they could've went with a cheaper (and brighter) IPS display.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Then you just get people complaining about washed out screen.

OLED gives it a higher quality appeal whereas internal sacrifices don't matter as much except for the geeks on the internet.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Can

I bought my wife a Galaxy S9 with a ding on the side for £270 on eBay.

Put a case on it as usual and it's just a lovely looking S9.

Can get a beastly Huawei Mate 20 -Pro for around £400 on eBay.

For £50 more than the £399 for the 3a, you can get an S10e with a way better cpu/gou, wireless charging, best in class display, amazing build quality, reverse wireless charging, no big forehead/chin, more ram, more storage, better speakers, more features overall while retaining more snappiness than stock android on an underpowered cheapo phone will provide etc etc etc

Much better value imo.

Only way I see these phones actually being worth buying for what you can actually have with the same money, is to wait until they reach eBay level prices. Buying new makes no sense imo unless you absolutely neeed to have a pixel phone

Thanks for the information and details. Unfortunately, the Samsung s10e is £669 over here in the UK. So out of my price range.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

5BcMnrS.png

EprjEYJ.png

I have to think Google is a little foolish for not offering 6/128GB versions of these phones for those willing to pay. I don't predict Android with 4GB of RAM in 2022 is going to be a great experience.

True.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
signal good point but personally the 64gb is a non issue for me since you still get free unlimited storage for photos/videos at high quality (Pixel 3a/3a XL) with Google Photos. I have a 64gb Pixel 2XL and I'm currently at 46% used up storage. So storage is a non issue for me and also wasn't when 32gb was the norm for a bit before we jumped to 64gb so on.

I really don't see where people use up all of their storage space on phones nowadays if they use Google Photos. If it's apps then that's a fuck ton of apps.

In regards to RAM, also a non issue.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
signal good point but personally the 64gb is a non issue for me since you still get free unlimited storage for photos/videos at high quality (Pixel 3a/3a XL) with Google Photos. I have a 64gb Pixel 2XL and I'm currently at 46% used up storage. So storage is a non issue for me and also wasn't when 32gb was the norm for a bit before we jumped to 64gb so on.

I really don't see where people use up all of their storage space on phones nowadays if they use Google Photos. If it's apps then that's a fuck ton of apps.

In regards to RAM, also a non issue.
Storage also irrelevant for me but I don't see how the RAM is a nonissue. What the 4gb Pixel 3a feels like in 2022 is anyone's guess!

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Then just pay £30 more than the cost of a 3a XL and get a brand new one with the two year warranty and get a better phone in almost every way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Seal...471362&hash=item2f30038b8b:g:osIAAOSwkiZczV-G
That IS a good price for one of those... But it's still £100 more than the entry level Pixel 3A - which is the one I'd buy it I were in the market - and, at £500 near enough, I'd be wondering if I should maybe just get a OnePlus instead. Sure, you're missing out on some features, but it has a better processor, and I'd definitely prefer the software too.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Just picked up a Pixel 3a, loving it so far. Slowing learning everything as I've been a iOS user for ages and transfered over to this kit from a iPhone6.

A quick question, I did lots of research prior to buying it and quite a lot of the reviews / impression I read and viewed showed the peoples screen with a wallpaper depicting a cartoon style image of themselves. As seen below, anyone know how to find these or create them?
Can't see any options or settings to do this.
Assume they weren't made especially for the reviewers by Google, because people like Marques Brownlee didn't get one sent from Google, as he ordered one himself once the store was live.

o2IWadw.png
YofJPHn.png

Plus any tips or tricks for a newbie moving from iOS to Android would be grateful :)

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just picked up a Pixel 3a, loving it so far. Slowing learning everything as I've been a iOS user for ages and transfered over to this kit from a iPhone6.

A quick question, I did lots of research prior to buying it and quite a lot of the reviews / impression I read and viewed showed the peoples screen with a wallpaper depicting a cartoon style image of themselves. As seen below, anyone know how to find these or create them?
Can't see any options or settings to do this.
Assume they weren't made especially for the reviewers by Google, because people like Marques Brownlee didn't get one sent from Google, as he ordered one himself once the store was live.

o2IWadw.png
YofJPHn.png

Plus any tips or tricks for a newbie moving from iOS to Android would be grateful :)

Tips:
  • First of all, get a Google Account. You can create a Google account with your current email. For example, if you have an @outlook.com or an @icloud.com or an @yahoo.com email, you can use those as a Google account, but I recommend you to get a Gmail account. It has better integration into the ecosystem.
  • Another useful tip. Use Google Photos. Google Photos automatically backup all your photos and videos to the cloud, for free. Unlimited storage. I have all my photos and videos there. Every time you change phones, every photo and video will be there. They do not charge for photos/videos backups like iCloud.
  • In the Google Photos app, there is an option to automatically delete all the photos and videos from your phone that already have cloud backups; that way you never run out of space.
  • Your Google account will sync your notes in Google Keep, Contacts, Photos, Videos, Drive, Chrome history/bookmarks/passwords, calendar, docs, books. Just log in in any device and everything will be there.
  • All your app icons will be stored in the app drawer, so your homescreen can be as clean as you want. Drag the icons to the homescreen and create folders to organize everything like you want (in iOS you don't have an app drawer).

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Tips:
  • First of all, get a Google Account. You can create a Google account with your current email. For example, if you have an @outlook.com or an @icloud.com or an @yahoo.com email, you can use those as a Google account, but I recommend you to get a Gmail account. It has better integration into the ecosystem.
  • Another useful tip. Use Google Photos. Google Photos automatically backup all your photos and videos to the cloud, for free. Unlimited storage. I have all my photos and videos there. Every time you change phones, every photo and video will be there. They do not charge for photos/videos backups like iCloud.
  • In the Google Photos app, there is an option to automatically delete all the photos and videos from your phone that already have cloud backups; that way you never run out of space.
  • Your Google account will sync your notes in Google Keep, Contacts, Photos, Videos, Drive, Chrome history/bookmarks/passwords, calendar, docs, books. Just log in in any device and everything will be there.
  • All your app icons will be stored in the app drawer, so your homescreen can be as clean as you want. Drag the icons to the homescreen and create folders to organize everything like you want (in iOS you don't have an app drawer).

Appreciate the time spent providing these great points. Really useful thanks :)

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
as far as "Is 4 GB RAM good enough?"...

I've had my XL 2 for a little over a year now and there is zero slowdown. I read people had issues with Pixels slowing down but I have not experienced this. I don't know if it was possibly a software thing they fixed. I did have to reset my last phone (Galaxy S7) after a year due to slowdown.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
man, I'd love to buy the small one for the camera, but my 5t currently gets around 2 days and I would lose a lot.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
as far as "Is 4 GB RAM good enough?"...

I've had my XL 2 for a little over a year now and there is zero slowdown. I read people had issues with Pixels slowing down but I have not experienced this. I don't know if it was possibly a software thing they fixed. I did have to reset my last phone (Galaxy S7) after a year due to slowdown.
Well another issue is that the phone gets 3 years of updates as a selling point but who knows if 4gb will be enough for 2022 Android.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
gave up waiting for the one plus release, and just ordered a 3a. this was definitely the better deal for me.
wasn't looking to spend a ton, but wanted a great camera to take pictures of my kid
pretty excited for it to come next week
my lg g6 is a piece of fucking garbage(in a pretty nice shell) and i'm over it

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Looking for an upgrade from my Honor 6x that I purchased expecting to use as an interim phone after my Nexus 5x died, but have ended up sticking with it for quite a while. I'm eyeing the 3a, although after playing with both at Best Buy I also really like the S10e. $100 off at Amazon right now so it's $650... Decisions....

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
For T-Mobilers... just noticed they are also carrying the regular Pixel 3/3 XL now and they are also giving $400 trade-in for the original Pixel. Pretty dang good deal there.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered the 3a XL and you guys are bumming me out. :( I'm coming from a Nexus 5 so I felt like it would be a huge upgrade, but people saying stuff like 4gb of RAM won't scale well to the future makes me a bit uneasy. SOMEONE REAFFIRM MY DECISION AS A GOOD ONE. ;___;

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered the 3a XL and you guys are bumming me out. :( I'm coming from a Nexus 5 so I felt like it would be a huge upgrade, but people saying stuff like 4gb of RAM won't scale well to the future makes me a bit uneasy. SOMEONE REAFFIRM MY DECISION AS A GOOD ONE. ;___;

it'll be fine. It's possible it might not be the best multitasking phone, like tons of apps and chrome tabs open but if you're fine with some light app mgmt it's fine

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
it'll be fine. It's possible it might not be the best multitasking phone, like tons of apps and chrome tabs open but if you're fine with some light app mgmt it's fine
In Canada with tax and a case this phone was already almost $800, I figured it was as good a deal as any compared to most phones which go for well over $1k without taxes outright.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a 3a through t-mobile and it cost me 138 out of pocket for the OG pixel, tax, and in-store upgrade fee.

I'm tempted to get another to have as a backup.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up a 3a through t-mobile and it cost me 138 out of pocket for the OG pixel, tax, and in-store upgrade fee.

I'm tempted to get another to have as a backup.

I am still confused about the trade-in plan. So you gave them your Pixel. And you gave them $138. And your (say) $50 per month bill becomes $50 - ($400/24)?

Edit: Wait, that doesn't make sense. If they are giving you $400 for that phone as credits, why do you have to pay anything more than the tax on the phone?

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am still confused about the trade-in plan. So you gave them your Pixel. And you gave them $138. And your (say) $50 per month bill becomes $50 - ($400/24)?

Edit: Wait, that doesn't make sense. If they are giving you $400 for that phone as credits, why do you have to pay anything more than the tax on the phone?
I bought a pixel on amazon for 97, tax was 25, and in-store upgrade fee was 20. If you already have a pixel, your out of pocket would only be for the tax if you did it online since there's a free shipping code.

I wanted to do it in-store to avoid any trade in issues since the take the phone at the point of sale.