• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. The cost of the phone is going to be balanced out in the form of monthly bill credits.

I think see what's going on. So

No trade in = $50 monthly bill + cost of phone/24.

With this offer = You pay tax value+upgrade fees upfront and then [$50 monthly bill + cost of phone/24 - ($400 offer/24)]

(Sorry for the confusion, I've almost always just bought my phones outright.)

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think see what's going on. So

No trade in = $50 monthly bill + cost of phone/24.

With this offer = You pay tax value+upgrade fees upfront and then [$50 monthly bill + cost of phone/24 - ($400 offer/24)]

(Sorry for the confusion, I've almost always just bought my phones outright.)
Correct. I prefer not to mess with payment plans as well, but this offer was too good to pass up. I'll pay it off once the credits kick in to get it unlocked.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered the 3a XL and you guys are bumming me out. :( I'm coming from a Nexus 5 so I felt like it would be a huge upgrade, but people saying stuff like 4gb of RAM won't scale well to the future makes me a bit uneasy. SOMEONE REAFFIRM MY DECISION AS A GOOD ONE. ;___;

More than likely you'll replace it on the two-year mark due to better products on the market. Or it'll suffer a component failure due to planned obsolescence, and you'll be forced to upgrade.

Last edited:

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I just ordered the 3a XL and you guys are bumming me out. :( I'm coming from a Nexus 5 so I felt like it would be a huge upgrade, but people saying stuff like 4gb of RAM won't scale well to the future makes me a bit uneasy. SOMEONE REAFFIRM MY DECISION AS A GOOD ONE. ;___;

My wife's 3a showed up today, she is upgrading from a Nexus 5x, its a pretty huge upgrade. It's pretty snappy opening and running all her apps, the OLED screen is nice, look forward to trying the camera out.

It feels pretty nice in your hand, the material feels much better then the old soft plastic in her 5x.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
You guys are doing the trade in right? Grab a iphone se on ebay and trade it in for 250. Also get the 100 google store credit, its better deal than the 100 Google Fi credit. Google Fi pricing is trash.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's 3a showed up today, she is upgrading from a Nexus 5x, its a pretty huge upgrade. It's pretty snappy opening and running all her apps, the OLED screen is nice, look forward to trying the camera out.

It feels pretty nice in your hand, the material feels much better then the old soft plastic in her 5x.
Thanks for your impressions! I'm honestly just a casual phone user, I like to game sometimes but I just wanted a phone that runs fast and opens apps quickly. Seems like this one will do the trick! The big battery is a nice plus too.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disappointing. A few years ago we got the Nexus 6P for the same price. It wasnt the BEST phone when it came out, but it sure as heck held its own and was a beautiful device to boot. Hell, its still got a higher res screen than this one. You're better off buying a cheap Chinese phone for half the price and save your cash. A better camera and some updates aren't worth double the price.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing. A few years ago we got the Nexus 6P for the same price. It wasnt the BEST phone when it came out, but it sure as heck held its own and was a beautiful device to boot. Hell, its still got a higher res screen than this one. You're better off buying a cheap Chinese phone for half the price and save your cash. A better camera and some updates aren't worth double the price.
Nexus 6P was ugly.

link to a $200 Chinese phone with the bad camera that makes saving $200 worth it?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's only been a day, but I can't get used to the awful viewing angles and general fuzziness of the Pixel 3a's screen. It seems as bad as the Pixel 1's — certainly not on par with Samsung's best. I'm hoping going full dark mode makes the quality issue less glaring.

Performance is fine. Bezels are fine. Sound/haptics are fine. Build quality is fine. Having the headphone jack on the wrong end is fine. The screen and lack of water resistance are not.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
It's only been a day, but I can't get used to the awful viewing angles and general fuzziness of the Pixel 3a's screen. It seems as bad as the Pixel 1's — certainly not on par with Samsung's best. I'm hoping going full dark mode makes the quality issue less glaring.

Performance is fine. Bezels are fine. Sound/haptics are fine. Build quality is fine. Having the headphone jack on the wrong end is fine. The screen and lack of water resistance are not.

Awful Viewing angle ? This isn't a TV.
Bad as pixel 1? I had Pixel XL since day one and found it to be nothing but great even coming from a samsung Note user.

What do you mean by having the headphone jack on the wrong side? It's been in that spot always unless you prefer the real dumb design of apple which is on the bottom.

I just picked up my pixel 3a yesterday.
The camera is very impressive coming from a Pixel XL, this time I settled with the regular 3a some it's just as big as my XL.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's weird because I've seen Samsung screens to be pretty good, but they do supply a variety of screens at different price points.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
People should stop praising the defective garbage Nexus 6P. Maybe if all of the problems it had didn't exist it would be worth bringing up.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Bad as pixel 1? I had Pixel XL since day one and found it to be nothing but great even coming from a samsung Note user.

What do you mean by having the headphone jack on the wrong side? It's been in that spot always unless you prefer the real dumb design of apple which is on the bottom.

The camera is very impressive coming from a Pixel XL, this time I settled with the regular 3a some it's just as big as my XL.

I did quick test of the camera at work a few days ago. I took the same exact shot (indoor under normal lighting conditions both set to auto) on it and my P30 pro. Exposure, color and detail we're pretty bad but I don't know how it is compared to the old XL.

Last edited:

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I did quick test of the camera at work a few days ago. I took the same exact shot (indoor under normal lighting conditions both set to auto) on it and my P30 pro. Exposure, color and detail we're pretty bad but I don't know how it is compared to the old XL.

Oh yeah, I watched a youtube video comparing the cameras and Huaweis got the best results.

My Neighbor Totoro

Alt-Account
Apr 7, 2019
Got an iPhone 6S+. It's great aside from its battery.

Should I get the Pixel 3a? I could hold off upgrading until late 2020.

leeky

Oct 27, 2017
Got my 3a today. I'm upgrading from my old Pixel 1, so it's a huge improvement so far.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's a massive green shift if you just barely tilt your hand to touch the back button. I noticed it on the display unit, and it's definitely present on my device as well. It's not an Apple-only thing to have the headphone jack on the bottom — most Android manufacturers have done the same for a long time, as it's better both for cable management when the device is in hand and works better when the device is in pocket as well.

The Pixel 1 had an awful screen as well (the Pixel 2 and even 3 have a lot of issues with lack of uniformity and black crush, but at least those are tolerable). It's way closer to Galaxy S4 quality than S9 or S10.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
There's a massive green shift if you just barely tilt your hand to touch the back button. I noticed it on the display unit, and it's definitely present on my device as well. It's not an Apple-only thing to have the headphone jack on the bottom — most Android manufacturers have done the same for a long time, as it's better both for cable management when the device is in hand and works better when the device is in pocket as well.

The Pixel 1 had an awful screen as well (the Pixel 2 and even 3 have a lot of issues with lack of uniformity and black crush, but at least those are tolerable). It's way closer to Galaxy S4 quality than S9 or S10.

There are actually USB-C earphones in the Google store. Those connect from the bottom of the phone, I'm curious to see how good they are, I'll have to research 3.5 mm va USB c

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017

sca

Oct 25, 2017
People keep recommending chinese phones not mentioning they only support a few LTE bands in the US, about 25% total. This phone only supports 2/5 bands for T-mobile.

If they added more US bands I'd be all over these phones.
It isn't a $200 phone, but the Xiaomi Mi Mix phones support many US bands

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have a Pixel 2 XL, which also has 4GB, and it has never felt like an issue. Don't see why it suddenly would in the next few years.

Maybe in five years it will, but by then you'll have switched again a few times. If you're expecting to use this phone for the standard two years, or even three, it won't be an issue.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
People keep recommending chinese phones not mentioning they only support a few LTE bands in the US, about 25% total. This phone only supports 2/5 bands for T-mobile.

If they added more US bands I'd be all over these phones.

I'm European and I just mentioned an alternative in the price range without specifically targeting the US market. I'm sure there has to be more than one phone with similar specs to the Pixel 3a, compatible with the US LTE bands and in the same price range though.

Oct 27, 2017
Will the pixel 3a be much of an upgrade coming from a samsung s8+?

If so I'll probably bite on this. My S8 stopped fast charging (now its port is totally dead but I can wireless "fast" charge (half the speed of normal fast charge)) and I need it back lol. Headphone jack is nice.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If so I'll probably bite on this. My S8 stopped fast charging (now its port is totally dead but I can wireless "fast" charge (half the speed of normal fast charge)) and I need it back lol. Headphone jack is nice.

Substantial performance, screen, and build (water resistance, etc.) downgrade, but a camera and Android-update-schedule upgrade.

I'm European and I just mentioned an alternative in the price range without specifically targeting the US market. I'm sure there has to be more than one phone with similar specs to the Pixel 3a, compatible with the US LTE bands and in the same price range though.

There really isn't. One Plus is a hundred+ more expensive, Moto G7, Moto X4 (effectively <$100 at Best Buy!), Nokia 6.1/7.1 are all quite a bit worse.

The US market is mostly just expensive flagships and cheap junk phones, with very little in between.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
So there's an article on the Verge this morning regarding Android's Digital Wellbeing mode.

Apparently people who have Pixels and have Digital Wellbeing turned on could experience slow down on their phone.

I have an XL 2 and my phone is running great but I turned it off anyways as I don't use it.

To do this...

Settings > navigate to Digital Wellbeing > Select the action menu (three vertical dots on the top right corner) > hit Turn off usage access > In the Usage access window,

go to Digital Wellbeing and toggle the permit usage access to off.

The reddit thread discussing this is from a 3a owner that says they see a world of difference in performance...
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bn844i/just_turned_off_digital_wellbeing_app_logging/

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To get this phone, I think everyone should go to eBay, get a Verizon 16GB iPhone SE model for $99 and trade it in via Google store to get $259 refunded into your credit card. You'll get the $100 gift card to use on the Google store. You essentially get the Pixel 3a for $140 or the Pixel 3a XL for $220.

It's the best way to buy this phone imo and nothing beats it. If I was in the market for a new phone I would do this instantly.

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So there's an article on the Verge this morning regarding Android's Digital Wellbeing mode.

Apparently people who have Pixels and have Digital Wellbeing turned on could experience slow down on their phone.

I have an XL 2 and my phone is running great but I turned it off anyways as I don't use it.

To do this...

Settings > navigate to Digital Wellbeing > Select the action menu (three vertical dots on the top right corner) > hit Turn off usage access > In the Usage access window,

go to Digital Wellbeing and toggle the permit usage access to off.

The reddit thread discussing this is from a 3a owner that says they see a world of difference in performance...
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bn844i/just_turned_off_digital_wellbeing_app_logging/
I had no real complaints with performance before, but I turned it off on my 3a anyway, as I never use it. I don't really see any performance change. But it may also be because the 3a is so new and I didn't restore from a backup when I set it up.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

That isn't exactly a fair comparison, haha. The Pixel 3's camera was always overrated.
Substantial performance, screen, and build (water resistance, etc.) downgrade, but a camera and Android-update-schedule upgrade.

There really isn't. One Plus is a hundred+ more expensive, Moto G7, Moto X4 (effectively <$100 at Best Buy!), Nokia 6.1/7.1 are all quite a bit worse.

The US market is mostly just expensive flagships and cheap junk phones, with very little in between.

Time will tell whether or not the US market will move to fill the mid-tier. As I mentioned previously, the mid-tier generally does not do very well because they get squeezed from the bottom.

However, the advent of $1000+ smartphones does admittedly change the calculus, although not as much as it would be if phones and flagships were not discounted heavily after six months.

IGotPaid

Nov 7, 2017
I got a 3a XL last week and I'm loving it. I had to go back to my S6 for a few months after my S7 Edge died unexpectedly. I was trying to wait it out until unlocked S9+ dropped under $500 without activation, but my S6 getting slower by the day and the psychical home button almost dead, I needed to jump on something new.

I haven't been on a Google phone since the Nexus 5 and it's great to be back to pure Android with the best camera.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
I get my phone tomorrow and I'm fighting the urge to send it back because of this thread lol. I definitely am not a hardcore phone user; Twitter, Facebook, reddit etc. are all I really use with some light gaming at times. I feel like the phone would be more than fine for that kind of usage. That said, I very much like to "future-proof" and considering my Nexus 5 lasted me five years I want this to do the same. People are throwing around terms like "underpowered" and "substantial downgrade" compared to other phones, and I can't tell if this is hyperbole or not lol.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get my phone tomorrow and I'm fighting the urge to send it back because of this thread lol. I definitely am not a hardcore phone user; Twitter, Facebook, reddit etc. are all I really use with some light gaming at times. I feel like the phone would be more than fine for that kind of usage. That said, I very much like to "future-proof" and considering my Nexus 5 lasted me five years I want this to do the same. People are throwing around terms like "underpowered" and "substantial downgrade" compared to other phones, and I can't tell if this is hyperbole or not lol.

The Pixel 3a is objectively underpowered compared to modern flagships. It's fine as a midrange phone, and I think that even significantly less powerful phones like the Nokia 6.1 or Moto X4 are more than enough for the vast majority of phone users. When comparing it to the Samsung Galaxy S8/S9/S10/etc., though, the numbers are night and day.

If you're into heavy multitasking, demanding games, or running desktop-style processes on the device, you'll definitely feel the pinch. But if you're using it for streaming medians playback, regular web browsing, social media, simple gaming, messaging, etc., it's plenty fast.

Wide scale 5G is coming within the next two to three years. No current phone is going to be future-proof for five years.

I'm happy with my Pixel 3a (apart from the color shift when not viewing it dead-on). I do switch phones with some frequency, admittedly, so I'm not overly concerned about how it will hold up in 3+ years. If it lasts me through 2021, that's fine by me.

Last edited:

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
this has been mentioned but not giving the unlimited original quality photo upload is shitty, also I've already lost the 3.5mm dongle for my 3 XL...
So, Imma keep my XR and grab one these after work. How much of a headache is it if I want to weekly switch between the 2 phones?
I think iMessage would become a pain no? Since SMS and iMessage protocols are used interchangeably you would have to turn off iMessage each time you went to Android so that a text from an iPhone would go through as an SMS

it also depends on what messaging platform you use, as I'm from the UK, we use WhatsApp a lot, but you can't just restore backups between iOS and Android natively - there are hoops to jump through and 3rd party software

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
To get this phone, I think everyone should go to eBay, get a Verizon 16GB model for $99 and trade it in via Google store to get $259 refunded into your credit card. You'll get the $100 gift card to use on the Google store. You essentially get the Pixel 3a for $140 or the Pixel 3a XL for $220.

It's the best way to buy this phone imo and nothing beats it. If I was in the market for a new phone I would do this instantly.

Wait, which model do I buy off ebay?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To get this phone, I think everyone should go to eBay, get a Verizon 16GB model for $99 and trade it in via Google store to get $259 refunded into your credit card. You'll get the $100 gift card to use on the Google store. You essentially get the Pixel 3a for $140 or the Pixel 3a XL for $220.

T-Mobile's trade in offer on a Pixel 1 beats it, although you do need to be a TMo customer.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

It will likely be a performance downgrade, but depending on what you do on your phone you may not notice it anyway. If you weren't having to replace the S8 due to a failure then I'd say sit tight, but since you may be on the last leg charging-wise it's probably ok.

I really don't see all the complaints with the screen. Maybe they're sourcing different screens for the production run, because the screen on my 3a seems tack sharp, plenty bright, and I don't notice any appreciable color shift when I hold it off angle, and certainly none when it's just shifting around in my hand in use.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Ordered one and it's getting delivered tomorrow, for me as long as it's an improvement over the Nexus 5, Pixel 1 and the Samung Galaxy J5 (temp phone I've had to use with literally no space!) then I should be happy enough. Phone is mainly used for web browsing, WhatsApp, Twitter, etc, hardly bother with games.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It will likely be a performance downgrade, but depending on what you do on your phone you may not notice it anyway. If you weren't having to replace the S8 due to a failure then I'd say sit tight, but since you may be on the last leg charging-wise it's probably ok.

I really don't see all the complaints with the screen. Maybe they're sourcing different screens for the production run, because the screen on my 3a seems tack sharp, plenty bright, and I don't notice any appreciable color shift when I hold it off angle, and certainly none when it's just shifting around in my hand in use.

The color shift is most noticeable with a fully white screen (or something like the default Google homepage or settings screen on Pie). Using black themes minimizes it.

To be fair, I've only tried my own unit and the in-store demo unit, both of which exhibited the issue, so it's certainly possible that it's a matter of different production runs. The store employee didn't seem to think it was a problem at all when handling my device. FWIW, reports of permanent burn in on the Pixel 3/XL (non-a) are endemic on Reddit, but most people/reviewers don't seem to be bothered, so it's also possible that some of us are just too picky.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The color shift is most noticeable with a fully white screen (or something like the default Google homepage or settings screen on Pie). Using black themes minimizes it.

To be fair, I've only tried my own unit and the in-store demo unit, both of which exhibited the issue, so it's certainly possible that it's a matter of different production runs. The store employee didn't seem to think it was a problem at all when handling my device.

Well yeah, I'm obviously looking at it on a white screen to check. I literally have to be looking at mine nearly edge on to see any major color shift and by that point I'm not even sure how much is the screen and how much is the refraction through the glass at that angle.

I mean, I'm kind of a videophile when it comes to TVs, but when it comes to phones I've always been more nonchalant because I'm not going to be doing any critical viewing on my phone.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
T-Mobile's trade in offer on a Pixel 1 beats it, although you do need to be a TMo customer.

In that case it doesn't since what I mentioned leaves the door open for you to use it on any carrier. Also, you'd have to buy a Pixel, which costs more than the iPhone SE or already have one in good/great condition for the deal.

Still, a $140 Pixel 3a or $220 Pixel 3a XL is definitely a steal imo.