• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In that case it doesn't since what I mentioned leaves the door open for you to use it on any carrier. Also, you'd have to buy a Pixel, which costs more than the iPhone SE or already have one in good/great condition for the deal.

Still, a $140 Pixel 3a or $220 Pixel 3a XL is definitely a steal imo.

Pixels is/were ~$90 in good condition on eBay and you can trade them straight up for the Pixel 3a at T-Mobile (just pay tax). If you're on TMo, it's a better deal.

But the Google deal is pretty good, too.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Pixels is/were ~$90 in good condition on eBay and you can trade them straight up for the Pixel 3a at T-Mobile (just pay tax). If you're on TMo, it's a better deal.

and if you aren't on T-Mobile, they have really good switching incentives.

Last April I bought a Pixel XL 2 on Verizon. I made 3 monthly payments (so ~$90) and then switched to T-Mobile. They sent me a $650 check and I paid off the remainder.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I get my phone tomorrow and I'm fighting the urge to send it back because of this thread lol. I definitely am not a hardcore phone user; Twitter, Facebook, reddit etc. are all I really use with some light gaming at times. I feel like the phone would be more than fine for that kind of usage. That said, I very much like to "future-proof" and considering my Nexus 5 lasted me five years I want this to do the same. People are throwing around terms like "underpowered" and "substantial downgrade" compared to other phones, and I can't tell if this is hyperbole or not lol.

I mean, this phone is pretty damn good for the price... especially with all of these deals. And if you're just using Twitter, Facebook and Reddit what exactly does "future proofing" mean in your case? lol

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[

You're saying getting $400 over 24 months is better than outright buying a Pixel 3a or Pixel 3a XL is for $140/220 is better? I guess it depends on the person really but getting a minor monthly credit on my account over 24 months in my eyes is the lesser deal.

Had they given us a debit card with $400 on it after 6-8 weeks like they used to do, only then would I consider it a deal/better. Otherwise it's more of a win for them via 24 month credits. This is why they no longer do the debit card deals and just give out credits totaling the amount over 24 months. I was bummed out when the debit card deals stopped.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
[

You're saying getting $400 over 24 months is better than outright buying a Pixel 3a or Pixel 3a XL is for $140/220 is better? I guess it depends on the person really but getting a minor monthly credit on my account over 24 months in my eyes is the lesser deal.

Had they given us a debit card with $400 on it after 6-8 weeks like they used to do, only then would I consider it a deal/better. Otherwise it's more of a win for them via 24 month credits. This is why they no longer do the debit card deals and just give out credits totaling the amount over 24 months. I was bummed out when the debit card deals stopped.

You pay nothing out of pocket (outside of the price of the device you're trading in and tax). You're on a 24 month payment plan with the credits and balances zeroed out. The only catch is that if you leave T-Mobile, the credits stop.

You can even buy multiple phones on a single line with no issues.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You pay nothing out of pocket (outside of the price of the device you're trading in and tax). You're on a 24 month payment plan with the credits and balances zeroed out. The only catch is that if you leave T-Mobile, the credits stop.

You can even buy multiple phones on a single line with no issues.

I get it, I know how it works. I used to be on T-Mobile for 7 years and only recently switched to Verizon. But the thing is, as I mentioned, in order to see that $400 it's only after 24 monthly bill credits. Unlike how they used to do a couple years ago where they'd give you s debit card for whatever the promo was in 6-8 weeks. Basically you'd get the whole $400 back in 2 months.

Yeah it zeros out after 24 months but you really don't see that money vs how it used to be before. Like I said, I guess it depends on the person.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I got a Pixel 3a on Friday as ben having this issue with WhatsApp and Instagram since. Thought it was due to me not configuring the setting correctly and been trying multiple adjustments and changes:
  • Tried restarting the kit
  • It's on the latest firmware
  • Not set to Do Not Disturb
  • Notification option is ticked correctly
  • Turned off battery optimization
  • Background data is on
  • Tried updated the apps
  • Tried on different WiFi connections and mobile data

But still no joy.
People sending me messages on WhatsApp for example, state it shows as only one tick until they see I'm online and actually look at the message. Seems like the apps aren't trying to receive the data til they are opened.
Weird.

Its almost like unless I've unlock my phone and gone into these apps, I then am notified of all my messages.

Now as well as the notification of a WhatsApp message at the top of the screen, I now get a pop-up box in the middle asking me if I want to view or close the app.

Not sure what else to try. I haven't rooted or installed anything extra onto the device.
Also suddently the temperate has appeared next to the date on the home screen and can't see anywhere in the options to remove it. I haven't added or adjusted any widgets:

0aJlgN8.png

Anyone know how to remove the temperature section next to the date?

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I got a Pixel 3a on Friday as ben having this issue with WhatsApp and Instagram since. Thought it was due to me not configuring the setting correctly and been trying multiple adjustments and changes:
  • Background data is on
  • Tried updated the apps

But still no joy.
People sending me messages on WhatsApp for example, state it shows as only one tick until they see I'm online and actually look at the message. Seems like the apps aren't trying to receive the data til they are opened.
Weird.

Its almost like unless I've unlock my phone and gone into these apps, I then am notified of all my messages.

Now as well as the notification of a WhatsApp message at the top of the screen, I now get a pop-up box in the middle asking me if I want to view or close the app.

Not sure what else to try. I haven't rooted or installed anything extra onto the device.

This sounds more like some network/carrier or Wifi issue. Are you in the US? what carrier?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This sounds more like some network/carrier or Wifi issue. Are you in the US? what carrier?

I'm in the UK, on the EE network. Its weird that even on alternative WiFi connections and if just mobile data the same issue occurs.
Had a look online and seems quite a few people have this same problem, just the posts are from a few months ago I think.

Other apps seems to work OK, text messages and Outlook mails notifications pop up fine for example.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'll pick this up for my Mom, deserves a phone with a good camera but she doesn't want me spending too much

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this phone is pretty damn good for the price... especially with all of these deals. And if you're just using Twitter, Facebook and Reddit what exactly does "future proofing" mean in your case? lol
Future proofing in my case would mean good battery life and good enough specs to last multiple OS iterations. Basically, no stuttering or laggy navigation. It seems the 3a will be more than enough for multiple years so I think I'll be fine!

You can tell I know my stuff about phones, yeah? :P

Oct 25, 2017
México
  • Background data is on
  • Tried updated the apps

But still no joy.
Weird.

Also suddently the temperate has appeared next to the date on the home screen and can't see anywhere in the options to remove it. I haven't added or adjusted any widgets:

0aJlgN8.png

I would just nuke the phone and start all over again. Factory reset the phone.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
  • Background data is on
  • Tried updated the apps

But still no joy.
Weird.

0aJlgN8.png

I've never used whatsapp I cant help there but what exactly is your issue with IG?

I got my 3a ok Friday trading from the Pixel XL. My IG has been working fine with notifications and everything appearing as normal.

As for the temperature, mine has it too and just long pressed it to change the preferences and didn't see anything to remove it.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I've never used whatsapp I cant help there but what exactly is your issue with IG?

I got my 3a ok Friday trading from the Pixel XL. My IG has been working fine with notifications and everything appearing as normal.

As for the temperature, mine has it too and just long pressed it to change the preferences and didn't see anything to remove it.

I won't get a notification of any messages, likes etc from Instagram unless I open the app itself (same as WhatsApp). Will only see them once I open the app and then the notifications pop up on the top of the screen.
I've checked that app and WhatsApp and the permissions seem fine plus the data usage options too.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I won't get a notification of any messages, likes etc from Instagram unless I open the app itself (same as WhatsApp). Will only see them once I open the app and then the notifications pop up on the top of the screen.
I've checked that app and WhatsApp and the permissions seem fine plus the data usage options too.

And you're sure the Do not disturb icon isn't on?
I did have the issue over the weekend where I didn't get notifications either until I noticed the Do not disturb settings were on default so I had to long press the icon to customize my notifications.
If you were getting them before and suddenly not, for sure it's got to be something in the Pixel setting.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered one from Best Buy last night, the $100 gift card made it too good to pass up (probably gonna use it on eshop cards). Upgrading from a 5X which I've had for 3.5 years so it'll be nice to have a faster phone.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
And you're sure the Do not disturb icon isn't on?
I did have the issue over the weekend where I didn't get notifications either until I noticed the Do not disturb settings were on default so I had to long press the icon to customize my notifications.
If you were getting them before and suddenly not, for sure it's got to be something in the Pixel setting.

Yep double checked and its not turned on (as seen in the screenshot I added on #457). I get notifications for other apps and calls etc. Just not for Instagram and WhatsApp. So strange.
I'll have to keep investigating to try and work out why.
Cheers though.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get it, I know how it works. I used to be on T-Mobile for 7 years and only recently switched to Verizon. But the thing is, as I mentioned, in order to see that $400 it's only after 24 monthly bill credits. Unlike how they used to do a couple years ago where they'd give you s debit card for whatever the promo was in 6-8 weeks. Basically you'd get the whole $400 back in 2 months.

Yeah it zeros out after 24 months but you really don't see that money vs how it used to be before. Like I said, I guess it depends on the person.

I think there's some miscommunication here. There's no $400 "back" because you don't pay T-Mobile anything in the first place*. You walk in, hand over your old Pixel 1 and walk out the door with a new Pixel 3a, no money down. It "zeroes out" immediately.

(*Apart from sales tax + in-person upgrade fee, the latter of which doesn't apply if you do the transaction online.)

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's some miscommunication here. There's no $400 "back" because you don't pay T-Mobile anything in the first place*. You walk in, hand over your old Pixel 1 and walk out the door with a new Pixel 3a, no money down. It "zeroes out" immediately.

(*Apart from sales tax + in-person upgrade fee, the latter of which doesn't apply if you do the transaction online.)

I'm not confused at all. I get it. What I am saying is that in the past it used to be $400 in a form of a debit card mailed to you in 6-8 weeks. They no longer do that. Now it's whatever promo they are running, they'll spread it out in 24 monthly credits. (I'm using the Pixel 3a deal as an example) what I'm saying is that I prefer what they did in the past.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not confused at all. I get it. What I am saying is that in the past it used to be $400 in a form of a debit card mailed to you in 6-8 weeks. They no longer do that. Now it's whatever promo they are running, they'll spread it out in 24 monthly credits. (I'm using the Pixel 3a deal as an example) what I'm saying is that I prefer what they did in the past.

If you have a Costco nearby you can still get a GC instead of credits. You have to buy the phone outright but then you get a GC in the mail for whatever the promo is. Bonus is their phone prices are generally cheaper than through TMobile.

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered a pixel off ebay to try to do the TMobile deal. As always, if this goes bad, I reserve the right to blame Resetera.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
After the oneplus event ordered the 3a off google store. Was not aware they were giving $250 trade in for iphone SE, plus 100 store credit.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question.

Just ordered a Pixel 3a XL from Google Store. I just purchased an iPhone SE 32GB from eBay (used, $69 USD), and will send the iPhone to get the $250 refund. But... how about the $100 Google Store gift card? I didn't see a mention about the $100 extra credit for future use.

They'll just send an email adding credit to your google account I think, or provide a link.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Just got it and wow is this thing fast coming off of a Nexus 5. It's so smooth. :O Gonna install a few games and see how far it can be pushed. The screen is so bright and pretty. *___*

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Got mine today, first off, finding a screen protector and a case for this in the UK apparently requires a voodoo ritual if I want it before June, second, it's ....kinda OK being back on stock Android again, I'm actually surprised at how restrictive it is these days compared to other variants. You can't turn off "At a glance" Date/Weather on the home page, which seems really odd but OK, you can't move the google search bar anymore, the "Dark" mode is pretty much worthless since Chrome and many other apps broadcasts the Navigation Bar as bright white (props to Twitter for doing this right), even the default menus are just pure white, what's the point of the "Dark" theme when only like three things change?

Sound wise, this thing is loud, and even the quality through the headphone jack is pretty damn good (makes it more comical it's not in the more expensive models). The charging cable provided is USB-C to USB-C, so yeah if you use charging ports and such in other places you'll need to pick up some USB to USB-C ones. Camera, good as expected, Nite Lite is pretty cool but I have no need to take many photos. It's also light, I guess that's what some would attribute to it feeling "cheap" but it still feels good, I'm just on edge until I get a case for it.

Overall I'm happy with it, some things will take getting used to, again just surprised at how restrictive stock Android is now and how worthless the dark theme is, along with all these other little things also locked down now stopping me from getting it EXACTLY how I want it, but I guess I'll just adapt after a week or so.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Got mine today, first off, finding a screen protector and a case for this in the UK apparently requires a voodoo ritual if I want it before June, second, it's ....kinda OK being back on stock Android again, I'm actually surprised at how restrictive it is these days compared to other variants. You can't turn off "At a glance" Date/Weather on the home page, which seems really odd but OK, you can't move the google search bar anymore, the "Dark" mode is pretty much worthless since Chrome and many other apps broadcasts the Navigation Bar as bright white (props to Twitter for doing this right), even the default menus are just pure white, what's the point of the "Dark" theme when only like three things change?

Sound wise, this thing is loud, and even the quality through the headphone jack is pretty damn good (makes it more comical it's not in the more expensive models). The charging cable provided is USB-C to USB-C, so yeah if you use charging ports and such in other places you'll need to pick up some USB to USB-C ones. Camera, good as expected, Nite Lite is pretty cool but I have no need to take many photos. It's also light, I guess that's what some would attribute to it feeling "cheap" but it still feels good, I'm just on edge until I get a case for it.

Overall I'm happy with it, some things will take getting used to, again just surprised at how restrictive stock Android is now and how worthless the dark theme is, along with all these other little things also locked down now stopping me from getting it EXACTLY how I want it, but I guess I'll just adapt after a week or so.

I'm looking to get one as a side piece to my XR. How's the screen in your opinion? And did you get the XL or regular model?

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark mode in Android Q (currently using it in beta form) makes EVERYTHING dark so I guess you'll have to wait for Q for proper dark mode implementation.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Am I the only one that laughs whenever I read 'headphone jack' in thread's titles as being a new feature? Lmao

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So comparing this pixel 3a xl cam to my 6T I'm honestly not impressed. Shots are coming out considerably noisier. I did see a review that mentioned 3a shots were noisier than the regular pixel 3 and it seems that is the case.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
How stable is the beta currently?

I've been on the Q beta on my 2 XL since it's inception and haven't had any major issues. A couple apps (like Chase) didn't work with the first beta, but it was resolved in the second. I'm now on beta 3 and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I love the new feature of swipe gestures to eliminate the nav bar. Highly recommend jumping on Q beta 3.

Dec 31, 2017
I bought a used pixel 1 two years ago. I set it up on Sprint.

Today the speaker stopped working.

Would transferring to a pixel 3 just be plug and play or is it an involved process?

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
I've been on the Q beta on my 2 XL since it's inception and haven't had any major issues. A couple apps (like Chase) didn't work with the first beta, but it was resolved in the second. I'm now on beta 3 and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I love the new feature of swipe gestures to eliminate the nav bar. Highly recommend jumping on Q beta 3.

Awesome to know, thanks!

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a used pixel 1 two years ago. I set it up on Sprint.

Today the speaker stopped working.

Would transferring to a pixel 3 just be plug and play or is it an involved process?

When you boot up the new phone you should be able to transfer everything over via USB and be good to go. Took about 3 mins for my wife's transfer last week.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How stable is the beta currently?

I'm currently on Android Q Beta 3.

So far so good. No bugs unless you know how to trigger them. The all gesture navigation is what made me switch to it. I've been on Q beta since day one and haven't switched back to Pie since.

In developer options for Q there's an option to force dark mode systemwide (for apps that haven't implemented dark mode) but it's best to wait for such apps to do their own dark mode as there may be certain gradients covering specific font elements. The system default dark mode (which I'm currently using) works as intended.

The app permissions go really deep and I find it to be extremely useful.

There's a lot more but I would recommend at least checking it out.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

I wasn't getting GMail notifications for a few days. Rebooting the phone seemed to have fixed it. I feel like everytime I get a new Android phone, it takes a few days for things to start working correctly. Have you tried uninstalling the app? It sounds like the sleep functionality that the Android phones have where Google doesn't ping your phone as often for certain apps. Do you know if you are seeing the same issue when the phone is plugged in?

Got mine today, first off, finding a screen protector and a case for this in the UK apparently requires a voodoo ritual if I want it before June, second, it's ....kinda OK being back on stock Android again, I'm actually surprised at how restrictive it is these days compared to other variants. You can't turn off "At a glance" Date/Weather on the home page, which seems really odd but OK,

Long press on an empty section of the home screen and select Home Settings. I remember there being some toggles in there for that widget.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I ordered the 3a XL for my wife yesterday. How long does it take to ship from the Google Store? And another question... would you guys trade a OnePlus 5T (I can sell it for $250) for a 3a XL? I would basically only pay $70 for a used iPhone. $250 for the trade-in + $250 for my OnePlus 5T.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I wasn't getting GMail notifications for a few days. Rebooting the phone seemed to have fixed it. I feel like everytime I get a new Android phone, it takes a few days for things to start working correctly. Have you tried uninstalling the app? It sounds like the sleep functionality that the Android phones have where Google doesn't ping your phone as often for certain apps. Do you know if you are seeing the same issue when the phone is plugged in?

Thanks for the response, yeah tried uninstalled and reinstalling but still no joy.
Samething occurs on charge and off unfortunately.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I ordered the 3a XL for my wife yesterday. How long does it take to ship from the Google Store? And another question... would you guys trade a OnePlus 5T (I can sell it for $250) for a 3a XL? I would basically only pay $70 for a used iPhone. $250 for the trade-in + $250 for my OnePlus 5T.
i placed my order on May 12, 2019, 12:26 AM
it's being delivered this afternoon

if that helps haha