• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question.

Just ordered a Pixel 3a XL from Google Store. I just purchased an iPhone SE 32GB from eBay (used, $69 USD), and will send the iPhone to get the $250 refund. But... how about the $100 Google Store gift card? I didn't see a mention about the $100 extra credit for future use.

Did you pay $69 flat or was there shipping + tax in addition?

I feel dumb for spending $104 for a good condition iPhone SE (Verizon) from Swappa. It's trade is value is at least $259 though.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Did you pay $69 flat or was there shipping + tax in addition?

I feel dumb for spending $104 for a good condition iPhone SE (Verizon) from Swappa. It's trade is value is at least $259 though.
Total was $76... the guy charged me $7 of shipping, but no tax.

drCT22L.png

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously though, why the about face? You were talking people out of buying this phone earlier in the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
México
You are missing tons of great cheaper phones from Xiaomi and Huawei just because your Chinaphobia...
Mainly for resale value. If I could trade-in a Pixel in the future more easily for another Pixel, it would be worth it (I hope I'm betting correctly on this). And with all the trade-ins ($250) + $100 credit on the Google Store (basically a Google Hub + Google Mini for free), it's cheaper than a Xiaomi/Huawei right now.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Google Fi? My contract is up in a month with verizon and I need a new phone. I'm thinking the 3Axl and google fi could be an amazing combo.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
Does anyone know how the T-Mobile deal works? I have a Google Pixel that I don't really use anymore since I upgraded to an iPhone XR. If I trade in the Pixel will I have to deactivate my iPhone SIM or do they come non active when shipped online until you decide to insert the older SIM into the 3a? I might just give the 3a to a family member and keep my iPhone XR.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how the T-Mobile deal works? I have a Google Pixel that I don't really use anymore since I upgraded to an iPhone XR. If I trade in the Pixel will I have to deactivate my iPhone SIM or do they come non active when shipped online until you decide to insert the older SIM into the 3a? I might just give the phone to a family member and keep my iPhone XR
Sims aren't activated so you can just put your old sim in the new phone.

Oct 2, 2018
"XR killer"...has no waterproofing and no wireless charging. And it's slow. OK reviewer!

As a consumer with a iphoneX.. that's never gone into water (nor any other phone I've been owned ever)

Waterproofing not an issue
Wireless charging not an issue
Slow: doesn't seem to be much much slower

This is plenty fine.

Curiosity to see what the next pixel does

Deleted member 14887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"XR killer"...has no waterproofing and no wireless charging. And it's slow. OK reviewer!

Most regular consumers probably don't give two shits about all that stuff. I've had this pixel 3xl for awhile now and haven't once used wireless charging. My friends and family that have newer iphone's don't use it either. I am sure once it becomes more and more normal people will but right now it's not really needed.

Pixel 3a & 3aXL at $399 and $479 vs iPhone XR at $749 and $899 it sure freaking is a XR killer especially with the camera it has on it. I really hope this phone does well we need any kind of competition at the middle range phones.

Deleted member 54170

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
So this got announced today https://blog.motorola.com/2019/05/15/motorola-one-vision-lifes-highlights-even-in-low-light/ . For the price of 300€ it looks better than the Pixel 3a. A Android One device with promised upgrades to 10 and 11 and security updates until May 2021.

The processor seems a bit weaker than the Snapdragon 670 but the rest of the specs seems better. UFS memory instead of emmc, also 4GB RAM but 128 GB memory, micro SD card support up to 512GB, 3500 mAh battery, free picture storage at high quality (at least it says so in the blog post), and the cameras seems to be optimised for low light pictures.

It can already be pre ordered at Amazon germany. https://www.amazon.de/Motorola-Smar...n&qid=1557940956&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Oct 25, 2017
México
So this got announced today https://blog.motorola.com/2019/05/15/motorola-one-vision-lifes-highlights-even-in-low-light/ . For the price of 300€ it looks better than the Pixel 3a. A Android One device with promised upgrades to 10 and 11 and security updates until May 2021.

The processor seems a bit weaker than the Snapdragon 670 but the rest of the specs seems better. UFS memory instead of emmc, also 4GB RAM but 128 GB memory, micro SD card support up to 512GB, 3500 mAh battery, free picture storage at high quality (at least it says so in the blog post), and the cameras seems to be optimised for low light pictures.

It can already be pre ordered at Amazon germany. https://www.amazon.de/Motorola-Smartphone-48-MP-Sensor-5-MP-Dual-Kamera-Schutzcover-Bronze/dp/B07R26R4VS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=motorola+one+vision&qid=1557940956&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
I agree that for $479 it might not be worth it. But the initial deals are pretty good. Like I said before:

• I purchased an iPhone SE for $76 on eBay
  • Ordered the 3a XL from Google Store with a trade-in kit
  • Google will refund $259 on my card once they get the iPhone
  • They gave me $100 in store credit (free Google Hub basically)

But yeah... I would not buy a 3a/3a XL for their original price. Better options out there for the price.

Deleted member 54170

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I am from Austria, I can't even buy the Pixel 3a (or any other Pixel device) officially through the Play Store. The only option I have is to buy it from the German Play Store but then I need a German Address. There are also no trade in deals like in the United States, at least I am not aware of any.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FYI: The T-Mobile trade in offer expires tomorrow, May 16.

I don't think Google has provided an explicit end date for their own trade in offer. It's not quite as good as TMo's monetarily, but it's not tied to any particular carrier.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So my girlfriend's mom is in town and she has a new Samsung Galaxy phone that she had to buy 2 days before her flight because her old phone is busted. She thinks it's too much, I think so as well. Is the 3a a good alternative? She's on AT&T and I'm reading that you can't buy the phone from their store. Is there anywhere I could get this retail? I'd rather have everything set up for her before she leaves town

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my girlfriend's mom is in town and she has a new Samsung Galaxy phone that she had to buy 2 days before her flight because her old phone is busted. She thinks it's too much, I think so as well. Is the 3a a good alternative? She's on AT&T and I'm reading that you can't buy the phone from their store. Is there anywhere I could get this retail? I'd rather have everything set up for her before she leaves town
Buy one from Best Buy or Target.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how the T-Mobile deal works? I have a Google Pixel that I don't really use anymore since I upgraded to an iPhone XR. If I trade in the Pixel will I have to deactivate my iPhone SIM or do they come non active when shipped online until you decide to insert the older SIM into the 3a? I might just give the 3a to a family member and keep my iPhone XR.

I believe the 3a would just have to be locked on T-Mobile for the duration of the bill credits? Or maybe you can unlock after 40 days. Maybe someone else knows.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe the 3a would just have to be locked on T-Mobile for the duration of the bill credits? Or maybe you can unlock after 40 days. Maybe someone else knows.

It's locked until it's paid off (with a minimum of 40 days on-network).

3a's a great choice. I think Best Buy is still offering a $100 gift card on purchase. Alternatively, Amazon has the Moto X4 for $119 with free next-day shipping if you have Prime (but the camera is way worse than the Pixel 3a's).

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's locked until it's paid off (with a minimum of 40 days on-network).

3a's a great choice. I think Best Buy is still offering a $100 gift card on purchase. Alternatively, Amazon has the Moto X4 for $119 with free next-day shipping if you have Prime (but the camera is way worse than the Pixel 3a's).

So you could theoretically pay off and still get the bill credits right?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you could theoretically pay off and still get the bill credits right?

It's worked that way in the past (at least with JOD -- I did just that with my iPhone SE), but I'm not sure about current policy.

Fuck, my pixel arrives on Friday.

If you can get the IMEI, you can do the trade online before you actually get the old Pixel in-hand and take your time to mail it in. It's a bit risky, though (if the device fails inspection).

Deleted member 54170

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I guess, but you could say that about any spec. "If you absolutely need UFS / SD card storage etc."
Thats true.

I would like to have a Pixel device, but I am not sure if the 3a is worth the money. Do you guys think that the 3a will be locked out of some future features like the new offline assistant that launches with the Pixel 4 or maybe some new camera software tech?

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
On google, I couldn't see where the iphone SE is one of the Apple phones they accept for trade in. The lowest model that qualifies is the iphone 6.

EDIT: I see it now. Sorry.

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's worked that way in the past (at least with JOD -- I did just that with my iPhone SE), but I'm not sure about current policy.

If you can get the IMEI, you can do the trade online before you actually get the old Pixel in-hand and take your time to mail it in. It's a bit risky, though (if the device fails inspection).
I bought an used iPhone. Do you think the inspection will be very thorough?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought an used iPhone. Do you think the inspection will be very thorough?

I have no idea what Google's inspection process is like. I think the poster I was responding to was trying to get the T-Mobile deal that ends Thursday (so Friday would be too late for an in-store trade in).

The inspection is probably just making sure the device is functional, isn't water damaged, and has no cracks or deep scratches.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why are the big manufacturers using slow (relatively speaking) charge tech? Is it possible they are worried about safety/battery issues with those super fast chargers?

Oops didn't even mean to post that video in this thread lol. I heard previously that faster charging has an effect on battery longevity or health but not sure if that's the case anymore or was ever a significant issue.

Oct 27, 2017

Crisis mode activated. Messaged eBay seller to try to get imei. Alternative plan, show up on Friday, act aloof and bitch and moan until they give me the deal. Can't think of anywhere I could get a cheap pixel with one day shipping.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
This is going to be an interesting device a couple of months down the line once it has dropped in price and has Lineage OS support. Too bad about the sub-par storage and no microSD though.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Most regular consumers probably don't give two shits about all that stuff. I've had this pixel 3xl for awhile now and haven't once used wireless charging. My friends and family that have newer iphone's don't use it either. I am sure once it becomes more and more normal people will but right now it's not really needed.

Pixel 3a & 3aXL at $399 and $479 vs iPhone XR at $749 and $899 it sure freaking is a XR killer especially with the camera it has on it. I really hope this phone does well we need any kind of competition at the middle range phones.
I mean...do you own any wireless charging bases? Cuz if not, then no shit lol. But just buy one and plug it in on your bedside table, it makes it so convenient.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...do you own any wireless charging bases? Cuz if not, then no shit lol. But just buy one and plug it in on your bedside table, it makes it so convenient.
Although it's not a outright deal breaker, I really do agree that wireless charging is pretty damn convenient and hard to go back to the old way. Just throw it on the charging pad and be done.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently swappa auto supplies the IMEI so I'm going to try that. Which means, I'll definitely need to resell or return the eBay purchase. Thanks for the help ERA. I still blame you.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
I'm looking to get one as a side piece to my XR. How's the screen in your opinion? And did you get the XL or regular model?
Screen is good in all honesty, I just have the regular model, the only green tint (and it's very very slight) I see is when it's tilted right off at an angle but I'd question how the person would be using their phone to be looking at it that way :P

Long press on an empty section of the home screen and select Home Settings. I remember there being some toggles in there for that widget.
That does nothing, there is no option to turn it off, and if I go into the widget options, I can add ANOTHER but not take away the one on the Home screen.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Apparently swappa auto supplies the IMEI so I'm going to try that. Which means, I'll definitely need to resell or return the eBay purchase. Thanks for the help ERA. I still blame you.
Isn't the deal at Google Store better?

• $250 for an Verizon iPhone SE (can be purchased for as low as $75 USD)
  • $100 Google Store Gift Card

Sure, it's $350 vs $400 on T-Mobile, but I read that T-Mobile makes you upgrade to one of their most expensive plans in order to get their deal. The deal at Google Store will last until May 18, but they don't ask your for an IMEI. You just need to send the iPhone before 1 month.