• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean...do you own any wireless charging bases? Cuz if not, then no shit lol. But just buy one and plug it in on your bedside table, it makes it so convenient.

Way to be a antagonistic for no reason. I don't feel the need to get a wireless charger the wall charger my pixel came with is sufficient to do the job & I see no reason to spend money on something that isn't needed. I'm sure most people probably have similar thoughts.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way to be a antagonistic for no reason. I don't feel the need to get a wireless charger the wall charger my pixel came with is sufficient to do the job & I see no reason to spend money on something that isn't needed. I'm sure most people probably have similar thoughts.

I thought I would miss wireless charging with the 6t but with how fast you can top off even with this 3a it's really not a big deal imo. Especially if you do a 30% to 80% charge like I do.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm at 75% right now 24 hours after having the device. I'm on the second cycle after a first charge to 100% and I charged it from 30% to 80% today about 4 hours ago. Not bad imo. Daily 30-80 top ups is what I want, and if needed 2 days out of a 100% charge.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So some general impressions coming from a 6T, before that a note 9, and before that an iPhone 8 plus.

I think the pixel camera is extremely overrated. I'm not getting noticeably better results than my 6T. It's also very obvious there is a lot of post processing going on. After loading a shot just taken, it looks like shit and super grainy, and then the pixel does some work and it looks good. Comparing gcam port night sight shots and the 3as it's kind of a wash. Well lit shots it's definitely a wash.

I've only had the phone for a day, but it seems just as snappy as the 6t but I did do half speed animations. I believe OP does quicker animations by default so whatever.

Battery life seems on par with the 6T.

I would like a system wide dark mode like OP has.

Typing with haptic feedback is miles better than OP or even Samsung, and obviously the 8 plus.

Screen response also seems more precise than on the 6t. 6t is actually frustrating at times at how imprecise the touch response is.

Also Google should really take some pointers from oxygen OS as far as gesture nav. It will be cool to be able to do the pixel betas.

I actually really like the plastic design. It feels like it's half the weight of the 6T. 6T is cumbersome in comparison to the 3a XL. I just grabbed a blue slim case and it looks fucking awesome with the white pixel and orange power button. I also prefer the bezels to smaller bezels with a notch.

Screen quality seems as good as the OP and I don't notice any color shift at angles. Daytime brightness is also better than the 6T.

Overall I'm happy to grab a (near) free phone from T-Mobile and pocket $500. Just sold my OnePlus for that.

Downside I have to be much more careful with water.

Last edited:

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So some general impressions coming from a 6T, before that a note 9, and before that an iPhone 8 plus.

I think the pixel camera is extremely overrated. I'm not getting noticeably better results than my 6T. It's also very obvious there is a lot of post processing going on. After loading a shot just taken, it looks like shit and super grainy, and then the pixel does some work and it looks good. Comparing gcam port night sight shots and the 3as it's kind of a wash. Well lit shots it's definitely a wash.

I've only had the phone for a day, but it seems just as snappy as the 6t but I did do half speed animations. I believe OP does quicker animations by default so whatever.

Battery life seems on par with the 6T.

I would like a system wide dark mode like OP has.

Typing with haptic feedback is miles better than OP or even Samsung, and obviously the 8 plus.

Screen response also seems more precise than on the 6t. 6t is actually frustrating at times at how imprecise the touch response is.

Also Google should really take some pointers from oxygen OS as far as gesture nav. It will be cool to be able to do the pixel betas.

I actually really like the plastic design. It feels like it's half the weight of the 6T. 6T is cumbersome in comparison to the 3a XL. I just grabbed a blue slim case and it looks fucking awesome with the white pixel and orange power button. I also prefer the bezels to smaller bezels with a notch.

Screen quality seems as good as the OP and I don't notice any color shift at angles. Daytime brightness is also better than the 6T.

Overall I'm happy to grab a (near) free phone from T-Mobile and pocket $500. Just sold my OnePlus for that.

Downside I have to be much more careful with water.
Very good imprensions.

Camera: it isn't the same as the regular Pixel 3. It's a bit behind it though. If you look up compassion videos between the 3a and 3 you'll see the difference. It's not huge but it's noticeable.

Dark mode: It's coming with Q. Currently using it on Q beta 3.

Gesture Nav: Q basically mimics iOS gesture Nav which is the best gesture Nav available right now. There are 1-2 other manufacturers that mimic it on Android as well besides Q.

Wish was in your position to get a new device. Would be nice lol I'm currently rocking a 2 XL.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Very good imprensions.

Camera: it isn't the same as the regular Pixel 3. It's a bit behind it though. If you look up compassion videos between the 3a and 3 you'll see the difference. It's not huge but it's noticeable.

Dark mode: It's coming with Q. Currently using it on Q beta 3.

Gesture Nav: Q basically mimics iOS gesture Nav which is the best gesture Nav available right now. There are 1-2 other manufacturers that mimic it on Android as well besides Q.

Wish was in your position to get a new device. Would be nice lol I'm currently rocking a 2 XL.
I want Q mainly for the classic navigation bar. The Back, Home, Recent buttons are still unmatched. I use the double-tap on the Recent button a lot to change between the two last apps... imposible to replicate with gestures.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want Q mainly for the classic navigation bar. The Back, Home, Recent buttons are still unmatched. I use the double-tap on the Recent button a lot to change between the two last apps... imposible to replicate with gestures.
Oyeah that's right. Q offers full on gesture, half baked gesture with nav buttons and full on buttons. 3 options. Pretty cool for them to offer all 3.

Here's a screenshot I just took on my phone:

H3ehOYB.png

As you can see I'm using full gesture nav, I've grown to like it, though it still needs a bit of work as far as smoothness goes I feel. If I were to switch back from full gesture I too would choose the 3 nav buttons.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Oyeah that's right. Q offers full on gesture, half baked gesture with nav buttons and full on buttons. 3 options. Pretty cool for them to offer all 3.

Here's a screenshot I just took on my phone:

H3ehOYB.png

As you can see I'm using full gesture nav, I've grown to like it, though it still needs a bit of work as far as smoothness goes I feel. If I were to switch back from full gesture I too would choose the 3 nav buttons.
I really love the new font that Google is using in Q.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Thank the lord Google is bringing back the navigation options. Hopefully this sticks and they don't pull it for the final release. The default full gesture navigation is a good default option. I know this because I have been using this sort of thing on my S10 through Samsung's Goodlock customization. Also, multitasking may look nice, but it's still more efficient than my S10 set up using goodlock. I'm interested in playing around with Android Q to see what it brings. I might fuck around and let it be a daily driver for a bit too just to see if the experience is that much better (it definitely won't though).

even if I get bored with this and decide to sell the Pixel 3A a few months from now, it would just have to be $260ish to break even (assuming if I didn't do anything with the $100 credit).

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
How is Google Fi? My contract is up in a month with verizon and I need a new phone. I'm thinking the 3Axl and google fi could be an amazing combo.

I've had it since it first came out. It's not bad if you don't use a lot of data. My favorite feature is it just works in any country and data prices are the same everywhere. I've been thinking of going back to t-mobile since I can get their ONE plan for 40 through military discount and my SO would be paying less than her plan, but I'd lose international data, BUT I could order a data only sim from Fi and just use that when I'm abroad.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had it since it first came out. It's not bad if you don't use a lot of data. My favorite feature is it just works in any country and data prices are the same everywhere. I've been thinking of going back to t-mobile since I can get their ONE plan for 40 through military discount and my SO would be paying less than her plan, but I'd lose international data, BUT I could order a data only sim from Fi and just use that when I'm abroad.

That honestly sounds like the best route to go to save you money. Plus you'll have T-Mobile and you'll get Netflix for free since you'll have 2 lines. That $40/mo sounds sweet.

Oct 25, 2017
México
How much data? I'm always curious how much data per money do people pay in different countries.

Right now I'm using a carrier called Movistar. It's $5 USD per month, and includes unlimited calls, SMS, 6GB of data, 1GB of extra data for YouTube, and unlimited data for Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter and Snapchat.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
How much data? I'm always curious how much data per money do people pay in different countries.

Right now I'm using a carrier called Movistar. It's $5 USD per month, and includes unlimited calls, SMS, 6GB of data, 1GB of extra data for YouTube, and unlimited data for Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter and Snapchat.

Fi is $10/gig up to 6gb and then it's free after that. Same rate applies when you're abroad as well.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Which color did you like the best?

The white one is for me, the black one for my coworker. I've had a black phone for 11 years now, so I felt it was time for a change.

I'm going from a Xiaomi MI6, so a rather small upgrade - but my coworker is going from a Nexus 5 so I'm really curious what his experience will be.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Got 1 for the wife with $100 iPhone SE trade in. Our household has finally moved on from iOS. We gave you 3 years, Apple, and you disappointed us.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok just wondering as I saw on the T-Mobile website you need to buy the $25 SIM kit and thought they would transfer over your information to it when it shipped

Every phone I've had shipped from them doesn't have the SIM installed. If you call them on 611 or order through tforce on Twitter they should be able to waive any SIM fee too. My 3a xl I bought in store surprisingly had a preinstalled SIM but I just put in mine before turning on the phone.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2x2 mimo is kind of a bummer. Only pulling 80mb down instead of like 120 my 6T would do. It is slightly noticeable as far as browsing.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Normally I'm a stickler for always buying used for big discounts, but $150 for a 3a (after $250 iPhone 6 trade-in) + $100 Google store credit is a such a steal. At that point practically a $50 upgrade.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Being in the market for a new phone is giving me flashbacks of when I wanted a new GPU. Liking impressions so far. I'd prefer the larger screen but not sure if I wanna pay the extra.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up a 3a yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far.

It's a reasonable upgrade from my OG Pixel especially because it has a headphone jack.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Just got my 3a yesterday! really wish without rooting I could remap the squeeze and be able to change the pill button back without ADB... otherwise it's been great so far.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so my aunt has a iPhone 6 16g sitting around, maybe I should trade that in for a 3a. $150 +100 credit isn't too bad to play with a phone