• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This is a question from a Pixel 3a owner and I really do not mean this to sound negative or condescending but: Why would anyone buy a $1000 flagship phone when something like the 3a does 95% of the same work? Is opening youtube 1 frame faster worth a 3x price increase? The current state of phones does not warrant such a large price increase (minus, well, people pay for it). This isn't even an LCD / OLED situation that the TV market has.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked one up recently. Really liking it so far. Any tips on what I should change settings wise? Especially with the camera? I already changed the animation speed to .5 to make it snappier.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
This is a question from a Pixel 3a owner and I really do not mean this to sound negative or condescending but: Why would anyone buy a $1000 flagship phone when something like the 3a does 95% of the same work? Is opening youtube 1 frame faster worth a 3x price increase? The current state of phones does not warrant such a large price increase (minus, well, people pay for it). This isn't even an LCD / OLED situation that the TV market has.
There's no objective reason to justify spending so much on a phone. Some just want the latest and greatest or want to keep up with their peers.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Today the P3a works fine but in a few years it might show the difference... I dont pay more than 400 on a phone either, too much extra price for something that can break by falling once on the ground.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have a Pixel 3a as well and I've made my peace with it, but it has a poor OLED panel, won't be supported past Android 11, is very slow to render webpages, has a limited camera, lacks water resistance, feels cheap in hand, runs demanding games/apps poorly, has poor speaker(s), and has limited storage capacity and slow storage technology. I only use it for calls/messaging/mail, banking apps, podcasts, navigation, browsing Era, and taking photos of my kid, so I'm okay with those limitations, but plenty of people won't be.

I mean, some people here are fine with a $150 Intel Atom netbook for the better part of a decade and others spend $1500 on graphics cards alone every couple years. Some people make do with four to a room dorm-style accommodation and others want a five bedroom house for two people. Some people are okay with their 20 year old Dodge Neons and others lease new luxury cars every year.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, my Pixel 1 XL just broke...like literally 2 hours ago, I dropped it, and now the screen won't respond. So...Pixel 3a or Pixel 4? $300 vs $600.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, my Pixel 1 XL just broke...like literally 2 hours ago, I dropped it, and now the screen won't respond. So...Pixel 3a or Pixel 4? $300 vs $600.
After playing with the 3a for a few days, I seriously cannot understand why anyone would spend anything more than $300 for a quality phone. The 3a does literally everything I need to with zero issues. I had like 10 apps open and I didn't see or feel any noticeable performance issues. The only negative I have is no sd slot. I'd persoally go with the 3a unless money isn't a problem for you.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm upgrading to the 3a XL soon, I have been using the original Pixel XL since 2016.

Has anyone else done this, and what are your thoughts on the 3a XL?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I just picked up a Pixel 3a and is the screen supposed to be damn warm/yellow? Anything with a pure white background is a slightly ugly shade of yellow.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you have Night Light turned on.
I think you are using night/reading mode.
I do not and color mode is set to natural (or whatever it's called). I even noticed it right away during setup. I ordered a replacement on amazon so we'll see how that one looks. I am coming from a pretty cool temperature LCD phone, so maybe it's just playing with my eyes. 100% looks okay (way brighter than I like to keep my phones), but 75% seems way dark.
sYNasNV.png

Dq0TfiX.png

(photos aren't the best for comparisons, but the 3a colors are pretty accurate)

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do not and color mode is set to natural (or whatever it's called). I even noticed it right away during setup. I ordered a replacement on amazon so we'll see how that one looks. I am coming from a pretty cool temperature LCD phone, so maybe it's just playing with my eyes. 100% looks okay (way brighter than I like to keep my phones), but 75% seems way dark.
sYNasNV.png

Dq0TfiX.png

(photos aren't the best for comparisons, but the 3a colors are pretty accurate)

Yes, the Pixel 3a has a pretty awful OLED panel (it's a budget phone), but it's much less noticable with dark mode. You can learn to live with it as long as you avoid mostly-white pages/apps.