• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Google are certainly looking to become a larger player in the games business. That's for sure.

I feel this is why Amazon has not made any huge waves since they started talking about gaming a few years back. They could be waiting on Google's move, as well. Perfecting their approach to the market.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Google didn't planned to. Phil Harrison went there on day 1 and boom, now they have a console in development.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
The near future is probably a hybrid console that offers streaming/downloads build into the core.

Long term is probably a $99 game streaming box and a neflix like subscription service that exists on multiple devices.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Game streaming services are an interesting idea but considering I can notice the lag and loss in quality when in-house streaming, it's got a long way before it becomes a viable option.
Same. Tried the little Steam thingy over my home network and I believe I minimized the lag as much as the technology is physically capable, and it still wasn't really playable for me. I don't know what needs to improve but I have a feeling Google isn't there yet either, especially when streaming over the internet.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't Geoforce Now on Mac doing pretty well in beta? I have seen youtube videos of it playing high end games on a 12 inch macbook even on mobile data for example. It doesn't even heat up the Mac as it's not using the GPU.

You have to own the game on Steam etc... so it isn't full "games as a subscription" and it's only US and EU right now, but the tech seems to work.

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
This sounds great for people with good internet!

...But I don't trust my internet enough to play games online, let alone stream them. And there's the matter of data caps, and Net Neutrality...

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll fall flat like every one before it. The internet isn't ready for it and why get it if everyone wants a Switch?

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I liked onlive and it worked well enough for me however I wouldn't trust google to do this as they have a habit of dropping projects. If Amazon announced it I would be more excited as they have a vested interest in gaming.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Interesting, I tried it with Nvidia SHIELD and the experience was so-so, really dependant on the internet speed so it's not a viable option for every country yet.

If Google would make it work stable somehow that would mean you could have an experience on whatever screen possible, maybe a bit similar to the Switch experience but you'd have to go wireless, which wouldn't be ideal for streaming possibly, really depending on the speed and stability again.

Google is a big name for sure but will it catch on or will people simply not be bothered yet with everything that's currently already available to them?

It's all in the games...

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Streaming big-budget AAA console games is not possible as of now, maybe with 5G tech or beyond but right now, at least around the entire continental section of the US, streaming is not very reliable. It may be good for cities and certain special places but most of the country is still suffering from very low internet speeds and spotty service.

PlayStation Now would be a success by now if the internet service wouldn't be as bad as it is today. Even with some other problems like pricing and a thin library, video games require less lag, something that Netflix doesn't have to worry about.

Now, if PlayStation Now or this new Yeti program would allow people to download any of those games in their service and make them work on the system through emulation or native capabilities, that would be a totally different story.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Amazon vs Google vs Apple. They'll all have their streaming services and casual games.

I doubt any of those three would dare to have an impressive piece of gaming hardware and exclusive games to satisfy core gamers.

I think probably only Samsung could be 'a new player' in the HD / 4K console market in the way that Sony and Microsoft occupy it.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Streaming? PS Now was unplayable for me. If they want to release a console 90% of the world population doesn't have a good enough connection for, go ahead.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Geoforce Now on Mac doing pretty well in beta? I have seen youtube videos of it playing high end games on a 12 inch macbook even on mobile data for example. It doesn't even heat up the Mac as it's not using the GPU.

You have to own the game on Steam etc... so it isn't full "games as a subscription" and it's only US and EU right now, but the tech seems to work.
I opted into the beta last week and have played some fortnite (on a track pad. Fucking UGH) And so far it seems remarkably well done. I haven't noticed too much in the way of lag and I'm only using wired Cox Cable. I actually tried without wired and it warned me my connection wasn't good enough, even tho all the Mbps seemed higher than the recommended, and it played okay. I'm playing on a late 2011 early 2012 pro that struggles with lots of games. I don't own civ 6 but would love to try some turned based games on it like that and cities. I would think lag wouldn't be as big a problem playing games like that. If google can get it running as good or better I'd likely give it a shot

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
I opted into the beta last week and have played some fortnite (on a track pad. Fucking UGH) And so far it seems remarkably well done. I haven't noticed too much in the way of lag and I'm only using wired Cox Cable. I actually tried without wired and it warned me my connection wasn't good enough, even tho all the Mbps seemed higher than the recommended, and it played okay. I'm playing on a late 2011 early 2012 pro that struggles with lots of games. I don't own civ 6 but would love to try some turned based games on it like that and cities. I would think lag wouldn't be as big a problem playing games like that. If google can get it running as good or better I'd likely give it a shot

Yeah, this was what stood out on the video I saw, he knew that most consumers don't have top of the line fibre connections so he tested it tethered via 4G and it worked ok (can't recall exact comments). May have hammered the data though, but as a proof of concept it was powerful.

That's the key for these services: data caps. We are lucky in the UK most providers don't have them, but some in the US / Australia do. Not sure what the up/down is when streaming games.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Streaming services for games always sucks because of input lags. If you are not able to download the games like it is on Game Pass from Microsoft than you shouldn't even try. After Microsoft's Game Pass I would never subscribe to a streaming service where you can't download the game. I would have thought that Google would know it better.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's what they said about Netflix...

If it's supported properly (putting money behind it to secure deals) and they have the infrastructure (no doubt they will) then I could see it being a big hit.
Well, I'm not familiar with Netflix, but you can download stuff if I'm not wrong, movies and games are also two different markets, so far we don't have anything to backup that such a thing could work.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in a google box that had an Nvidia X2 chip, but for all the other reasons (IE a really good GPU once it was hacked). That would be my only interest. At all.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If nothing else it will be interesting to watch and see what happens. Personally, I'm not interested in a console that only offers a subscription model and no Physical games, but I realize digital is getting larger and larger and more people are willing to accept it.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm not familiar with Netflix, but you can download stuff if I'm not wrong, movies and games are also two different markets, so far we don't have anything to backup that such a thing could work.

The world is changing.

There will always be naysayers to disruptive technology but it's gonna happen one day whether people like it or not.

Much like there is for Netflix (TV/films) there will likely remain an alternative classic market (physical/digital games with ownership) for those who aren't able to stream to a high enough standard or aren't keen on the concept.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what was the last Google product that was successful and wasn't dropped in two years?

gooner4life

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't even play games on my 4K HDR TV (2016 LG OLED) due to input lag, let alone play a game streamed over the internet.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
The speed of light is not changing any time soon.
I regularly get less than 50 ms ping to any given Cloudflaire CDN. If Google was willing to invest in tons of geographically distributed servers, and reduced latency elsewhere in the chain... I think it could be possible, maybe. Not for Virtual Reality and probably not for Celeste, but maybe for Call of Duty and Fifa.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The world is changing.

There will always be naysayers to disruptive technology but it's gonna happen one day whether people like it or not.

Much like there is for Netflix (TV/films) there will likely remain an alternative classic market (physical/digital games with ownership) for those who aren't able to stream to a high enough standard or aren't keen on the concept.
I guess it depends where do you mean by the world, I know the Middle East isn't abandoning discs media anytime soon, I imagine there are more places like us, i don't disagree that a change is happening, I just think it's too soon.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure game streaming will ever achieve mainstream success. Some people see an all-streaming future but lag and lack of ownership is always going to be a thing. Even for the mainstream casual audience.
Who's gonna want to pay $60 to own a license to access data on a server that may go down. At least with digital distribution you have the game technically on your hard drive or flash memory.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure game streaming will ever achieve mainstream success. Some people see an all-streaming future but lag and lack of ownership is always going to be a thing. Even for the mainstream casual audience.
Who's gonna want to pay $60 to own a license to access data on a server that may go down. At least with digital distribution you have the game technically on your hard drive or flash memory.
Every other entertainment medium has moved on. If it ends up being good enough for the causal audience, then they'll flock to it. People don't give a shit about ownership anymore.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Every other entertainment medium has moved on. If it ends up being good enough for the causal audience, then they'll flock to it. People don't give a shit about ownership anymore.

Thing is paying $20 for Netflix is a lot more agreeable than paying potentially a lot more to stream games. They're not going to get any cheaper and the pubs still need to make money back for their big titles.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
No thanks Google, getting Anime Stike vibes.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is paying $20 for Netflix is a lot more agreeable than paying potentially a lot more to stream games. They're not going to get any cheaper and the pubs still need to make money back for their big titles.

That is unless they start developing their own original titles instead, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. I wouldn't expect that of Google.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess it depends where do you mean by the world, I know the Middle East isn't abandoning discs media anytime soon, I imagine there are more places like us, i don't disagree that a change is happening, I just think it's too soon.

Depends on where in the Middle East you're talking about. I live in Dubai and it seems to be pretty split here in terms of digital vs physical based on the people I know (yes I know this is anecdotal...).

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
All I can imagine is that maybe they create something using the ever more advanced mobile processors/GPUs that are coming along.

Imagine the Switch, but probably more like what would be in a prospective Switch Pro, minus the screen and fancy gyro/rumble controllers AND most importantly subsidised by the monthly game streaming subscription. It could be affordable and decently powerful.

Obviously if it is streaming only... That's years away or more for anything requiring quick reactions to work. I tried a racing game on PS Now and the large made it impossible. Just impossible to control to any real degree.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I can see this just being an element of Chromecast based on how Google treats projects like this