• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Depends on where in the Middle East you're talking about. I live in Dubai and it seems to be pretty split here in terms of digital vs physical based on the people I know (yes I know this is anecdotal...).

As long as someone is smart enough to know anecdotes aren't representative of everybodies experiences anecdotes are fine.
Especially in your case where your perspective is quite interesting for someone who has never been to Dubai.
Is Dubai quite a rich area of the Middle East? I hear it come up a lot in business related discussions.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If they have a console that's a PC like reference machine, and then have both streaming and download options, plus a streaming client for mobile devices and browsers, ....

... My imagination is going wild lol. I can't wait to see what they're doing.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As long as someone is smart enough to know anecdotes aren't representative of everybodies experiences anecdotes are fine.
Especially in your case where your perspective is quite interesting for someone who has never been to Dubai.
Is Dubai quite a rich area of the Middle East? I hear it come up a lot in business related discussions.

Spoiler tags because it's off topic:

In general the culture in Dubai is very "western" so in the time I've been here (almost 5 years) there has been an increase in focus on the uptake of new technology. On the whole, yes the UAE (not just Dubai) is better off than most of the Middle East due to having diversified their economy (to become less reliant on oil) sooner than most other neighbouring states have.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Depends on where in the Middle East you're talking about. I live in Dubai and it seems to be pretty split here in terms of digital vs physical based on the people I know (yes I know this is anecdotal...).
Yeah, I can see Dubai being different than most places here.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ewww, streaming games. It might be the future, but it's a distant future. If Yeti is anything like PS4 Now, count me out.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
They have the capital and the patience to make this a success if they can get the casuals to adopt this method of gaming.

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017
Google jumps around on these moonshot projects like ARA and a few others so much, it's hard to tell if anything will ever actually come of it. Could be they are looking just image base streaming with local rendering or other hybrid method, although I don't see that happening in this generation of chromecast.

kappa_krey

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
This.

I mean, based on my PS Now experience - due to the input lag, poor IQ and instability (due to absence of cache) of game streaming, in the real world it's really only suitable for very basic games. But very basic games could already run natively on a streaming stick, which kind of negates the point of streaming them.

I've no doubt that if Google is going to do gaming, then they're going to do it in a big way. Which is probably what has Microsoft quaking in their boots, because it wouldn't just affect Xbox, but also potentially Windows as a gaming platform. And it's the rumours about bigger players getting in the gaming market (Amazon too) which is why there might be some credence to some of the crazy acquisition rumours. Sony has far less to worry about, with PS Now already up and running even if it is ropey as hell, well established internal studios and plenty of exclusive IP. And Nintendo always just does their own thing.

This would eventually affect Sony and Nintendo too, not just Microsoft :/ If Google can offer something better than PS Now (and cheaper, which they could do), then it's lights out for that. Hell, GamePass could prove a big problem for PS Now as things are atm. As for Nintendo, if Google's solution is in any way mobile-friendly and manages to get a lot of Japanese support as a result (especially if they actually try something seriously), then that will create big problems for the Switch; it doesn't exist in its own vacuum after all.

Guess we'll see what happens. Whatever it is, hope the final name isn't Yeti.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested to see what comes of this. Alphabet owns the company that made Pokemon Go, so it's not like they have no experience with game development.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
In a lot of countries of Europe we are still waiting for a lot of hardware and services from Google (Like Google Home).

So... We will see this service worldwide in like 15 years maybe >__>

Status Effect

Oct 27, 2017
If Google are taking this as seriously as they have their Pixel phones and Home assistants (which by the hiring of Phil it seems they are) then this could get very interesting

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Onlive was terrible. You can't force something like that to work.

By its very nature, it will always be an inferior way to play (additional latency, compression), plus have major impact on ownership (zero offline play, if the service goes down forget about ever playing again).

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how many compression artifacts there were the last time I rented a movie via Google Play, I'm not exactly hopeful that a game streaming service from them would be viable.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Could semi streaming work where some parts are preloaded?

I've tried onlive, PlayStation, Xbox and Steam streaming and never had a great experience.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Nah, Google has money. I don't think it will do good but I think it will last longer then Ouya.

Even Amazon has money and their attempt to make a console was a failure.

It's not just having money, you have to established relationships with the big third parties and it takes time and a huge amount of money: you have to put the effort into this.

Like many other projects from Google, i can totally see this being a timid attempt to make something, then if it bombs whatever.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, having to buy a $200+ box to even start playing video games is probably the biggest constraining factor for the medium. On the other hand, I'm not convinced that streaming games is a long-term viable option. We shall see how this works out.

Ismailman

Oct 29, 2017
1. Google Fiber is dead for the foreseeable future. I have multiple friends that were on the Fiber team. It is dead. They may bring it back with wirrless tech (G bought webpass) but for now it's dead.

2 Android is already the biggest gaming platform in the world (I think) .

3. Google is one of the two best streaming companies in the world as they own YouTube .

Putting all these things together I'm sure that G is exploring moving more into hardcore gaming as they see the revenue that PSN, Live and Steam are raking in. Those numbers are big enough to get G interested. They are also beefing up gaming on YouTube as well. My guess is they do something like Daydream which is put out a spec and reference hardware that is a "gaming Android" .I think the machines would be more Switch like than Xbox One or PS4 like.

Oct 26, 2017
"Whether Google will go ahead with the service remains unclear. The company intended to launch the Yeti service in time for the 2017 holiday season, but it was delayed for reasons that remain unclear."

Yah, cause physics.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with Google Fiber ever try PS Now? Maybe at that internet speed these services can actually work, lol.

I didn't try PSNow, but I played PUBG, Overwatch, and Destiny 2 on an iMac via GeForce Now and I have fiber from a Google Fiber subsidiary. I couldn't tell network jank over general Mac mouse jank, so it got thumbs up from me. As good as my local gaming rig? No. Without that as a reference, I definitely think it's passable as a good gaming experience.

That said, I don't think most people have 1000/1000 Mbps internet connections at their homes.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see how this will succeed where many other stick consoles have failed. Mass video game streaming is going to be on the backs of current console giants, and PS Now is just the base framework for it.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Among the hypothetical new players in the gaming business, Google is the one which interests me the most, by a long shot: I would love to see what do they have to offer. That said, I presume they would somewhat overlap with Xbox if they follow a "conventional" console strategy.

Can Android power state-of-the-art, AAA titles? Or is it relatively limited to mobile?

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible idea. I had PSNow for a while and I abhorred it. The lag made some games impossible (Shadow of the Colossus)

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
they should come out with a standard console and have the streaming thing as just a part of the whole
I would welcome anyone major player

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If they made a little thing like an nvidia shield with a controller... How cheap could they do that 2 years from now? Would it have to be an nvidia soc or will amd apus be competitive in price?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Yakuza 4 on ps now today and I must say I'm satisfied. Didn't really feel like I was streaming a game because the input lag was minimal. I do have fast internet though

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I do think that this is the future of gaming, but we just aren't there yet. It's going to take awhile, especially since many countries don't even have the infrastructure in place to support it. Maybe in another 15 years atleast, but not now. That being said, I wouldn't mind a google console as long as it's a traditional console and not like a games component attached to a set top box or something.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am extremely skeptical of Google actually seeing a project through to completion over multiple years. They are famous of dropping things the minute the execs are tired of the latest toys or if something doesn't quite work and needs refitting.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Let's see how serious the project is as soon as we get a first look at the launch library. But tbh, the more serious it looks, the more likely it will seem to not work as intended, I mean, how much lag would be involved in streaming a huge AAA game these days? I'm not really confident it's an easy technology to put out there, but who knows? I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no confidence. Google recently is notorious for chasing other companies successes and everything about this screams non-starter. Streaming games is not a thing, nobody likes it, it's too unpredictable. Switch cratered the last that market had to offer anyway, you can already play full games everywhere without an internet connection. Google will almost certainly not bring to the table the type of things that are necessary in terms of exclusive content, hardware innovation and mature services with large, active userbases. It doesn't help that they aren't the type to buckle down for several years to get that sort of experience and respect, they'll bail out or restructure after 2 years. Fail fast doesn't work in this market.