• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Gwen Frey, indie developer behind Kine.

"It's the best of PC and the best of console. One specific set of hardware, but it's not limited by a specific box. Consoles are a pain in the ass."

Raúl Rubio Munárriz, Creative Director at Tequila Works

"You used to have to allocate resources to AI and physics and that's no longer the case. It's like finding yourself suddenly with no body. Power isn't relevant any more. For developers, that's really good."

David Canela, Project Lead on GYLT.

"It's rare that development goes to 30 or 60fps throughout development, but we had a high framerate for most of it.

The fact you're only streaming video from servers, lag for online games is reduced a lot. They have the machines, they're connected and they are very fast. That's a meaningful change for the future."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And yet you're still playing games at the mercy of your internet service provider. Which, if you're American and Comcast is the only provider in your area, means you're saddled with terrible latency and low caps.

Truly the "best" technology.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So, does it have modding support?

When I think about the best of PC, it's not 4k 60fps or whatever, it's the mods and freedom. Stadia is the exact opposite of the "best of PC".

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it'd be a bad sign if the few folks working only Stadia exclusives had bad things to publicly say about it.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like most of the good things said about Stadia and Cloud gaming in general are forward thinking and not based on present day limitations. Sure, cloud gaming has great potential, but we're nowhere near realising that potential right now.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
And yet you're still playing games at the mercy of your internet service provider. Which, if you're American and Comcast is the only provider in your area, means you're saddled with terrible latency and low caps.

You play traditional consoles at the mercy of the electricity. :D

If you don't have good internet Stadia is not for you. Thankfully the internet service will continue to improve over time.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So, does it have modding support?

When I think about the best of PC, it's not 4k 60fps or whatever, it's the mods and freedom. Stadia is the exact opposite of the "best of PC".

Can i mod my Stadia games?

Skip awful segments with cheatengine?

No?

Shut up

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
They better make some money on this on Stadia then, because I think this comment will bite them in the ass some time later, lmao

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it is one specific box at the moment, then you might have to make it support a newer box down the line.

To most devs they just have a another box to design for among lots of configurations because they release on most platforms not just one.

Oct 27, 2017
The concept is fine, but the fact that it requires a fast, stable Internet connection means it's a self-limiting platform, so it being the best of PC and console is debatable. But if Google can get this off the ground, they might've future-proofed in terms of game streaming.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The best of PC would include the freedom to do whatever you want to your game.

Oct 27, 2017
Their messaging continues to be terrible. They should be saying it's its own new thing, not compare it to existing things which it doesn't compare favourably to.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

p9AI4aB.gif

Nothing set in stone yet, but it's promising that they're thinking about it at least.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think if they had a game or to that was designed around Stadia's strenghts folks would take it more at face value. Right now they are talking big

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I don't think most people in this thread realize what Stadia actually is. It's giving you the best of both worlds without the need of specific hardware. You can play shit like RDR2 without a console/beefcake PC. It's simply reliant on internet infrastructure rather than local hardware. It "gives you the best of PCs and Consoles" without the need of either.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

The latency is not terrible and a 1TB cap is an insanely high amount. I used to be on the internet streaming video Twitch/Youtube nearly 24/7 and used about 60GB data per month.

I only use a lot of data when downloading big vidya games, I found. Anyways personally I'm uncapped.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think if they had a game or to that was designed around Stadia's strenghts folks would take it more at face value. Right now they are talking big

It's going to be fun to watch it play out anyway. It's like Vr in that respect. Hard to really predict it's future. A lot of things I'm pretty sure I know it's fate (though I'm often wrong, I thought 100% sure PSP would crush DS!), other things I dont have much of an idea of.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

At least we have developers that are saying what is available to them right now. Something tells me that those demos will come around the same time the PS5 and Xbox Two games are shown.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Yup. Even assuming it's best for development, there's gonna be a ton of people who just won't be able to play your game for a bevy of different ISP related reasons.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just because it isn't in a box doesn't mean it isn't a fixed, closed platform.
It's always going to be upgraded for the latest games though unlike consoles. You're probably always going to be able to play near max settings at no additional cost for the newest games. That's one thing going for it imo. Not that I'm ever going to use it.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I don't think most people in this thread realize what Stadia actually is. It's giving you the best of both worlds without the need of specific hardware. You can play shit like RDR2 without a console/beefcake PC. It's simply reliant on internet infrastructure rather than local hardware. It "gives you the best of PCs and Consoles" without the need of either.
I don't think anyone is confused about what you're saying.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah sure... call me when you get Mario, Kratos (and the rest of the console exclusives) on it, and the IQ isn't sub-par and dependent on IP providers.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"You used to have to allocate resources to AI and physics and that's no longer the case. It's like finding yourself suddenly with no body. Power isn't relevant any more. For developers, that's really good."

Taking a quick peak at some articles, unless I'm wrong, there's a definite hardware architecture that has to be engineered/designed for.

"Power isn't relevant any more," and yet this also sells itself on being "free power (hardware)". Which one is it?

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Look if I can't mod a Macho Man Randy Savage Cougar into my RDR2 with Hatsune Miku model shooting a gunblade at a gang of wild west people-sized gundams with a secret mission which knocks you out and makes you wake up on a covered wagon being chatted at by Ralof of Rivia saying that I finally woke up with that thief over there then I don't want anything to do with that platform how dare you.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how it would be possible to mod something where you have not access to the files.

Unless Google is going to have complete control over what you can mod...

I think it will be more on the developer side to decide what to allow or not. Almost sure we won't see nude mods on most games. Besides that it's not too difficult to imagine some level of access to modify the games. Just like the title, this level of access should be somewhere around the middle on how mods work for consoles and PC.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud gaming will be what it's all about in like... the 2030s or later. Assuming society is still intact. RIght now bad internet and data caps make it completely undesirable for the typical cable internet user