• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For reference, here's the PlayStation 4 launch lineup:

Angry Birds Star Wars
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution (Beta)
Call of Duty: Ghosts*
Contrast
DC Universe Online*
DiveKick
FIFA 14*
Flower (Cross-Buy)
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes*
Madden NFL 25*
NBA 2K14*
NBA Live 14*
Need for Speed: Rivals
PlayRoom
Resogun
Skylanders Swap Force*
Sound Shapes (Cross-Buy)
Super Motherload
Trine 2: The Complete Story
Warframe

With few exceptions, platform launches are generally pretty bad.

At least there was some new content. I'm not sure focusing on the delivery system alone as the USP is going to be enough.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Have they shown what these games look like running on Stadia? It would be wise of Google to cobble together a launch trailer showing the Stadia versions of the games in action.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People acting like buying Stadia games is going to come out cheaper than consoles/PC either aren't looking hard enough, or are just too impatient. There are so many ways to get games at far below MSRP, no loss of ownership required.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
With few exceptions, platform launches are generally pretty bad.
y0TuY6t.jpg

eCwCJBa.jpg

HMB1eRU.jpg
Halo is also a good example how to succesfully enter a market as a new player.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If stadia was some sort of "add-on" service this would be fine

as in "own game on steam/other platform - you can play on stadia too"

having to buy these games - just for streaming.. is asking a lot. And not even a more expensive subscription alternative??

Does Google actually expect this to take off? It seems more like a tech experiment for the future?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
A bit gutted for this lineup in that there isn't a big exclusive. I really want Stadia to do well and succeed. The more products and options available on the market, the better for gamers.

Oct 27, 2017
They should give Thumowr for free. If they can show that Thumper is playable without latency/lag/artifacts, then the service might actually be worth it.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
People acting like buying Stadia games is going to come out cheaper than consoles/PC either aren't looking hard enough, or are just too impatient. There are so many ways to get games at far below MSRP, no loss of ownership required.
You're only allowed to look at it from this one single perspective of someone who doesn't really have the money so he's trying to save some when he's weighing buying the *newest* console on release for top price, with the newest games for top dollar vs Stadia + the *newest* games for top dollar to play on their 4k TV's and/or Pixel Phones. Does this sound like the standard behavior of penny pinchers to you?

Blows my mind really. People who don't have the money for the newest releases get *far* better value being patient gamers. Why would these people be after 4k solutions for the newest games? I'm a big gamer and I don't even have 4k available to me. I'm certainly not buying it to then sub or buy a cloud game to play on it. If I had that kind of money I'd just buy the consoles/upgrade my PC.

There's so many game savings to be had that for some reason just have to be ignored. I played AC Odyssey on a free Uplay trial recently, State of Decay 2 + The Outer worlds on release for $1 total (trial + $1 deal). I can often get release games cheap because of Nvidia/AMD GPU keys being sold off, and that's still ignoring all the sales that happen on so many different platforms. Why would I want to rely completely on the pricing Stadia is going to offer me? They could be the next Nintendo in that sense for all I know.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting that you still have to pay for the games with Stadia. I think my natural assumption is that it's a subscription service, because that's what everything is, and every time I open a Stadia thread it's like, oh, right.

Seeing the full prices revealed is going to be a fun thread.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I know that the free version launches in 2020, but will this soft launch be available for everybody who opts into pro version, or only for the founder's edition?

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't seriously be pretending this looks as good as the latest console launch lineups, or even the last major game system brand launch (Xbox launched with numerous AAA games and third party titles in 2001, including exclusive AAA titles like Halo).

They are competing with Xbox, Nintendo, and PlayStation above all. They are not putting up competitive lineups for launch.

Nintendo launched the Switch with four games.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Waiting for the free version. 1080p is sufficient. Gimme Souls 3 at 60fps and I'll double dip.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is dreadful. They talk about being their own platform, yet they have no killer app whatsoever. Why not release this when there's some incentive to go and use it? Now people will check it out, be disappointed and move on. Hard to knock back from that.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I keep forgetting that you still have to pay for the games with Stadia. I think my natural assumption is that it's a subscription service, because that's what everything is, and every time I open a Stadia thread it's like, oh, right.

Seeing the full prices revealed is going to be a fun thread.
I have the same problem. My attention is on it largely because of the Orcs Must Die! 3 exclusive release, which is a franchise I absolutely adore. So I've been trying to see if I could justify using Stadia to play it as it's going to be hard to resist the hype at that time but even when I feel sort of ok with the thought of streaming a game (and I have 200 up/down so I'm fine there) I remember I'll have to buy it for full price on a platform I don't really want to keep it on, I prefer to have it on Steam later on.

Hoping they'll have some sort of introductory deal or something by then xD

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The only guy on Era that's excited for Stadia has a PC that is 9 years old and doesn't own any of the current-gen consoles. And yet this person is on enthusiast video game message boards for some reason? That should serve as a nice example how Stadia is targeting a niche of a niche with this product.

Ofcourse people here think Stadia is going to tank, it's not serving anyone who's already remotely into games and it hits the market with an Ouya-grade games library.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm sorry, Thumper of all games? Wow. It's a great game, but for those who haven't played it, it is one of the twitchiest and fast-paced games ever with later levels relying on some serious reflexes and timing. How on earth is that going to translate to a service that is introducing latency into the equation? Other than that the lineup is fairly pedestrian. Still don't know who this is supposed to be for other than the niche crowd of people who just have to have everything new regardless of if it's any good or not because reasons (so, basically everyone who was stupid enough to actually spend money on things like Virtual Boy, Ouya, Nokia N-Gage etc).

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It's kind of bizarre that they're focusing almost exclusively on big AAA games and ignoring indies. I mean, look at pretty much any successful platform launch since like the Xbox 360 and there's clearly been a reliance on indies in the early years to beef up the line up... ignoring that entirely seems like a massive gamble to me.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for Stadia but I also think it's going to tank hard. The "soft" launch lineup is abysmal even noting it being a soft launch, and the dearth of exclusives coming any time soon is a real problem. It just fits my needs well for some use cases and I'll re-review it when XCloud is up as I'd probably consider switching to that if it was good.

I kinda can't wait to replay RDR2 and play Odyssey on this for the first time. All this said, Stadia has no barrier to entry really so all they need is one or two exclusive killer apps and they're cooking. I just have my doubts that will show up before the platform suffocates.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
What's with Stadia attracting defenders who make up the dumbest, most easily fact checked shit? Also one of those launch games was a brand new Zelda game. Which ended up being one of the most critically acclaimed games on the platform, of the year and in the series. Stadia's only notable launch game is Gylt, which looks neat but it's no BOTW...

Erg

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of bizarre that they're focusing almost exclusively on big AAA games and ignoring indies. I mean, look at pretty much any successful platform launch since like the Xbox 360 and there's clearly been a reliance on indies in the early years to beef up the line up... ignoring that entirely seems like a massive gamble to me.
Indies don't really show off what stadia has to offer: processing power

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I saw this article on Gamespot. Came here to see if we had a thread about it. Saw the thread and the best reaction a person can give to this situation is the avatar the OP has. A more accurate reaction would be false from my side.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
This has just kept me laughing today, thinking about playing the rebooted TR likely at not a cheap price with input lag as a launch title.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This list is hilarious, what's google trying to do? Didn't they want to have exclusive titles, or is this entirely supposed to be a PC Streaming Platform without any merit on its own?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
They should give Thumowr for free. If they can show that Thumper is playable without latency/lag/artifacts, then the service might actually be worth it.

oh boy, thumper and a network dependent streaming service...

either this will be the benchmark to showcase the feasibility for regular users with regular ISP plans...

or it will be the piece where people reference: "See? This is why streaming doesn't work."

Have there announced Windjammers 1 or 2 for stadia yet? i wanna see how good (or bad) that tech can be using these games.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
The streaming future. Paying for a subscription service so you can pay for old games that you probably played already if you care about them. MS, Nintendo and Sony are trembling in their boots. The end of dedicated hardware has arrived.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
If stadia was some sort of "add-on" service this would be fine

as in "own game on steam/other platform - you can play on stadia too"

having to buy these games - just for streaming.. is asking a lot. And not even a more expensive subscription alternative??

Does Google actually expect this to take off? It seems more like a tech experiment for the future?

feel they should of teamed up with steam/ epic store for the game buying part. Rather than it being brought streaming games only.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
feel they should of teamed up with steam/ epic store for the game buying part. Rather than it being brought streaming games only.
I'd buy Orcs Must Die! 3 on Stadia day 1 if it was guaranteed to come with a Steam key/direct activation once the game releases on Steam. It's wholly unrealistic of course but it'd solve the main issue I have with it xD

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
The streaming future. Paying for a subscription service so you can pay for old games that you probably played already if you care about them. MS, Nintendo and Sony are trembling in their boots. The end of dedicated hardware has arrived.

I completely agree. I'm hoping I don't have to purchase another Playstation or Xbox again and instead sweat those consoles until they no longer work. Looking forward to getting my hands on this next week. Next gen arrives in 7 days!

Oct 29, 2017
What would happen if Google waited a year to launch Stadia and gave it a launch lineup that had next-gen titles? Would that change a lot of your opinions?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only guy on Era that's excited for Stadia has a PC that is 9 years old and doesn't own any of the current-gen consoles. And yet this person is on enthusiast video game message boards for some reason? That should serve as a nice example how Stadia is targeting a niche of a niche with this product.

Ofcourse people here think Stadia is going to tank, it's not serving anyone who's already remotely into games and it hits the market with an Ouya-grade games library.

I own all consoles and I'm still excited for stadia. Streaming works.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
The only guy on Era that's excited for Stadia has a PC that is 9 years old and doesn't own any of the current-gen consoles. And yet this person is on enthusiast video game message boards for some reason?

At that point buying one of the current gen consoles is without a doubt the best deal/money saving one can do. Black Friday around the corner and a huge range of games available for cheap on the platform.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Indies don't really show off what stadia has to offer: processing power

I mean the same could be said about PS4 and that system leaned heavily on indies for the first couple of years. It's not about showing off what the platform can do... it's about filling in obvious gaps in your line up early on.

occ86

Oct 30, 2017
Please tell me if I'm wrong (maybe I'm just missing something very important), but I really don't get how people are comparing this lineup with the ones from older console / handheld generations, considering games for these always had to be ported since they were completely different systems.

Stadia is basically a lot of PCs that are used to stream games and we all know how many games are avaiable for PC.
Now don't get me wrong, I know that they can't just use any game without getting the permission to use it, but 12 games is still just terrible.

If you want to compare launch lineups then you should probably wait and do it with Xbox Two's and PS5's launch lineup compared to the Stadia one, no?

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I mean the same could be said about PS4 and that system leaned heavily on indies for the first couple of years. It's not about showing off what the platform can do... it's about filling in obvious gaps in your line up early on.
I wouldn't be surprised if the base cost of running a game + stream, while likely less power intensive for an indie is proportionately still higher than the income they'd get from a low priced title vs a high priced one. So it would've been more cost effective to focus on the bigger, more expensive titles.

Of course I completely agree long term it's far more important to have a platform and titles people actually want to use, even if they're less cost-effective initially.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil

People in here like to do a lot of mental gymnastics, or use a single example, to downplay the target. The target is anyone who is interested in gaming and don't want to spend money in one or more gaming devices.

I own a PS4 Pro, Switch and a gaming PC that desperately needs and upgrade (faulty motherboard, CPU and memory). I'll get a PS5, but I won't upgrade my PC.

Does it mean the target is someone who has current gen consoles, will get next gen consoles, have a gaming PC and don't want to upgrade it? Nope. The target is still for anyone who wanna join without the need to invest in another gaming hardware.

Heck, they will even give trials for both games and Stadia. People won't even need to buy the sub or games to see if it works for them.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Wait, how much are these 12 games going to be?

A decent amount of them you can get for pretty cheap on other platforms now.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has just kept me laughing today, thinking about playing the rebooted TR likely at not a cheap price with input lag as a launch title.
You forgot to mention video stream compression artifacts that we all love, you'll be able to stare at that for hours and hours.
I don't get the target audience
Me neither. Casuals will continue to play free games on their mobile phones. More serious gamers will continue to play on PS4/PC and upcoming next gen consoles a year from now. Frequent commuters can play games on Switch without internet connection requirement and expensive data plans. Looks like all bases are already covered. *shrug*

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry - I'm just picking your post as an example out of many, but I strongly disagree.

Lot's of people are judging Stadia as a hardware launch when it's not really.

It's more like a store, which is going to sit alongside every gaming video on youtube, so it will have millions of hours of eyeballs staring straight at a buy/play now button.

If "free" games get on the service then people (including young kids) can watch a video from their favourite youtuber, just click one button, and suddenly they're playing the game. They don't have to bug mum or dad, or save up for a console/PC, they just click and play.

The current "launch" of Stadia is bad for several reasons, but a lot of people are judging it against the wrong criteria.

There are exactly two external constraints to Stadia's success, IMHO, and neither of them are related to the majority of posters here (including me):-

1. It needs to convince a sizeable number of devs/publishers that "profit from sales/dlc/skins" > "Cost of porting to Stadia"
2. It needs a large number of people to have tolerable internet for streaming

That's it. It doesn't matter at the moment that it has 12 old games, it doesn't matter that the controller doesn't have all the functionality, it doesn't matter that some pre-orders will ship late.*

What matters is whether, in 2020, it can offer a free solution to every youtube viewer with an existing controller, and a range of games/content/prices including one of the "big" free games (either Fortnite or Apex).

Sorry - rant over - I just wish more people would understand what Stadia is meant to be, and judge it accordingly. For example comparing the launch line up to any other console is bonkers - the entire point of every historic launch line up has been to sell boxes, get customers over the initial up-front cost of the box, and get an install base of customers to sell to.

*Arguably there is a knock on effect that these things scare away devs, but none of them is big enough to knock the promise of what Stadia could be. If a dev gets a shiny presentation, and a working demo of the tech, they may well be convinced. They'll almost certainly do it if they're offered money to cover the porting costs.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
If "free" games get on the service then people (including young kids) can watch a video from their favourite youtuber, just click one button, and suddenly they're playing the game. They don't have to bug mum or dad, or save up for a console/PC, they just click and play.

A fair number of whom will max their dads datacap within a day or two max. Can't wait to see those posts. Assuming F2P is going to be a thing of course.

There are exactly two external constraints to Stadia's success, IMHO, and neither of them are related to the majority of posters here (including me):-

1. It needs to convince a sizeable number of devs/publishers that "profit from sales/dlc/skins" > "Cost of porting to Stadia"
2. It needs a large number of people to have tolerable internet for streaming

That's it. [...]

What matters is whether, in 2020, it can offer a free solution to every youtube viewer with an existing controller, and a range of games/content/prices including one of the "big" free games (either Fortnite or Apex).
I highly doubt devs need convincing microtransactions make money.

There's a difference for Stadia though. Selling a F2P game is not the same profits for them as it would be for PC for instance, because those users are using both bandwidth *and* hardware from Stadia. The costs for stadia and thus the profits of their cut of the microtransactions will be lower than the other services because they're also running the hardware these people play on.

On top of that, F2P games with microtransactions are like shotguns, a ton of pellets and only a few have to hit (whales). But Stadia does need to cover all those pellets that miss as well, and particularly for a fledgeling network, and with the lower profit cut because of the added costs mentioned above I think it's unlikely they'd be going that route until they are well established with a large customer base covering their bases. Because not only are you setting a precedent where people expect more and more F2P games to arrive on Stadia, google is dependant on that games success for their income, or they could actually become a net negative for them because they have a continuous running cost for playing them. And F2P players tend to put in serious hours compared to many non-F2P games.

It may also negatively impact performance during a startup period where the last thing you want to happen is become known for bad performance experiences/connection issues.

What I *can* see is a F2P game *created by Google* making it's way on there, because the full income from microtransactions would absolutely justify it for them, as well as the increased customerbase. However, they should've finished a game like that long ago and released with it. I'm surprised (but grateful) they didn't do a F2P OMD3 to be honest.

PS: Fortnite seems highly unlikely because A) They did just fine without needing another platform to share a cut with and B) They made a big deal about stores only needing a 12% cut to do what Steam does so there's very little chance Stadia would get more than a 12% cut of microtransactions, which makes it even less feasible.

Last edited:

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhh no, it launched with less than a dozen games, but many of them are totally new, one of them is extremely highly anticipated. Unless you're limiting it to Nintendo published games which would be highly arbitrary

12 games.
  • 1-2-Switch
  • Fast RMX
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Human Resource Machine
  • I Am Setsuna
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Little Inferno
  • Shovel Knight
  • Skylanders: Imaginators
  • Snipperclips
  • Super Bomberman R
  • World of Goo

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry - rant over - I just wish more people would understand what Stadia is meant to be, and judge it accordingly. For example comparing the launch line up to any other console is bonkers - the entire point of every historic launch line up has been to sell boxes, get customers over the initial up-front cost of the box, and get an install base of customers to sell to.

I think it's easy to move the goalposts to what someone thinks "Stadia is meant to be," but they have still structured this as a traditional launch - you have to buy a box with their hardware to be able to buy their games - and are still referring to it as a launch externally, not a preview or beta, even though they could easily get away with that nomenclature given how much is not there yet. If it's not to be judged as a platform launch, then...don't call it a platform launch? It's the bed Google themselves is making, they're choosing to set those expectations.