• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am guessing, if you have never really played games before, then the Stadia lineup looks pretty damn solid. Some great titles there.

If you have already played those titles over the last few years, then Stadia won't seem all that appealing.

Feb 10, 2018
Sorry - I'm just picking your post as an example out of many, but I strongly disagree.

Lot's of people are judging Stadia as a hardware launch when it's not really.

It's more like a store, which is going to sit alongside every gaming video on youtube, so it will have millions of hours of eyeballs staring straight at a buy/play now button.

If "free" games get on the service then people (including young kids) can watch a video from their favourite youtuber, just click one button, and suddenly they're playing the game. They don't have to bug mum or dad, or save up for a console/PC, they just click and play.

The current "launch" of Stadia is bad for several reasons, but a lot of people are judging it against the wrong criteria.

There are exactly two external constraints to Stadia's success, IMHO, and neither of them are related to the majority of posters here (including me):-

1. It needs to convince a sizeable number of devs/publishers that "profit from sales/dlc/skins" > "Cost of porting to Stadia"
2. It needs a large number of people to have tolerable internet for streaming

That's it. It doesn't matter at the moment that it has 12 old games, it doesn't matter that the controller doesn't have all the functionality, it doesn't matter that some pre-orders will ship late.*

What matters is whether, in 2020, it can offer a free solution to every youtube viewer with an existing controller, and a range of games/content/prices including one of the "big" free games (either Fortnite or Apex).

Sorry - rant over - I just wish more people would understand what Stadia is meant to be, and judge it accordingly. For example comparing the launch line up to any other console is bonkers - the entire point of every historic launch line up has been to sell boxes, get customers over the initial up-front cost of the box, and get an install base of customers to sell to.

*Arguably there is a knock on effect that these things scare away devs, but none of them is big enough to knock the promise of what Stadia could be. If a dev gets a shiny presentation, and a working demo of the tech, they may well be convinced. They'll almost certainly do it if they're offered money to cover the porting costs.

Yes, it may have instant access via youtube videos and ads, but most people interested in games already own a PS4/xbox/switch/pc I'm sure millions of people will try it if its free on demos and stuff, but switching them from there trusted and loved ecosystem of PlayStation/xbox/Nintendo/steam is a different matter altogether

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
They should have approached this launch how they did Gmail: it was something of a status symbol if you got a Gmail invite back in the day. The YouTube integration should also have been day-one with launch, piggybacking on some popular streaming games. That way they could have bought themselves the prep time, they so obviously need.

As it stands, this service is going to get murdered in the market if MS manages to fold xCloud into Gamepass Ultimate.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me if I'm wrong (maybe I'm just missing something very important), but I really don't get how people are comparing this lineup with the ones from older console / handheld generations, considering games for these always had to be ported since they were completely different systems.

Stadia is basically a lot of PCs that are used to stream games and we all know how many games are avaiable for PC.
Now don't get me wrong, I know that they can't just use any game without getting the permission to use it, but 12 games is still just terrible.
These are not your average PC games. They're not running on Windows.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
What is the target audience? Casual players or hardcore?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
The only one I see there that's good imo is RDR2. It would be a good incentive to play the game if your pc can't handle the game at high settings, but you have good internet. However, $60 plus tied to a subscription is crazy imo.

Also, putting a fighting game in is kinda risky for them. They must feel their service is good enough to handle frame specific inputs and shit.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Casuals aren't going to pay $60 to play Red Dead on their phone or Macbook

Hardcores are willing to buy dedicated devices to play games.

So uh, no one?

If it works I'd be game, I'm more then a casual but rather play on something convenient then sitting in front of a tv (prob why I play a lot on switch lite).

If I had something as easy to move around as the switch but graphics as good as a high end pc what's not to like. iPad and a Wifi controller sound awesome if it works.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Somewhat disappointing line-up on day 1, but I can see the logic. No point flooding your store on the first day, then having nothing but a drip-feed of titles until months later when new multi-platform games start to come out on it the same day as everywhere else.

The only thing that baffles me is that they aren't trying to hype Gylt more.
It looks good, it's original, and it's a (timed) platform exclusive. Why not try to big it up as a must-have?
Their focusing so much on Destiny 2 shows a severe lack of imagination and trust in their audience.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Imagining some of the later stages of Thumper with it's reaction time/rhythm gameplay getting messed up by lag or pixelation, oof. Hope Google can prove me wrong.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagining some of the later stages of Thumper with it's reaction time/rhythm gameplay getting messed up by lag or pixelation, oof. Hope Google can prove me wrong.
I hear google put the game on there just to show how bad the service is, they didn't even test it to see if it worked before they decided to release it

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't it be enthusiast audience? You don't think enthusiasts would want to play games with better graphics than any game console on the market, without ever having to wait for updates or even game launching, without having to build a high end gaming PC?

why wouldnt an enthusist build a high end PC rather than rely on network bandwidth?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
If you didn't know better, you'd say Google deliberately wants to troll its own new service. Not a convincing lineup at all.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Not too impressed with the lineup, but I'm still very interested in the technology behind the system and I am really looking forward to tech analysis from DF and other similar sites. If Google is able to deliver on 80% of what they promised, I think it could have a decent amount of success.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
They've got some balls launching with two fighting games and a rythm game. I'll give 'em that.

But that's not a very exciting list. I do wonder how RDR2 will run though. Should be a good test for macro-blocking as well.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I just think that the only way this will take off is if they do evolve it into a Netflix-for-games, which is what a lot of people expected it to be, and probably still do.
Or if they can't (or won't) do that, at least make the games significantly cheaper to buy compared with standard digital games. I would probably try out Stadia if I could pay £40 for Cyberpunk at launch (if it ran well).

However, I very much doubt that my non-fibre internet will be up to scratch for a steady, reliable service.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
why wouldnt an enthusist build a high end PC rather than rely on network bandwidth?
Look into your heart and think about the answer :) If all gaming enthusiasts were PC gamers, then console sales wouldn't be a big thing. Not everyone wants to be buying $600 GPUs, let alone the $1100 you would need to spend on your GPU to outperform a single-GPU Stadia instance, if they even want the complications of using a PC for gaming (or worse, the complications of building a PC).

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Look into your heart and think about the answer :) If all gaming enthusiasts were PC gamers, then console sales wouldn't be a big thing. Not everyone wants to be buying $600 GPUs, let alone the $1100 you would need to spend on your GPU to outperform a single-GPU Stadia instance, if they even want the complications of using a PC for gaming (or worse, the complications of building a PC).
People who buy consoles, tend to do so because there are games on those consoles that they want to play, not because they can handle better graphics for that moment in time.

Stadia is not going to get the headliner titles from either Playstation, nor Xbox, especially since they're both making inroads into their own streaming servers. So why would people with interests in those replace their consoles with Stadia?

Also, the price to reach 4k60FPS, for those so inclined, will be going down for PC month after month, while the performance for Stadia will remain the same until Stadia deems the platform ready for an upgrade. I could buy a PC capable of doing 4K60FPS (or higher) for much cheaper in a few years but the likelyhood is quite high all the games I bought on Stadia will still be stuck on base for 1080p/60FPS unless i start paying for a sub.

Last edited:

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
So their target audience is people who:
  • don't want to buy gaming hardware
  • are ok with paying full price for games
  • are ok paying monthly fees
  • live reasonably close to a data center
  • don't have tight data caps
Anyone acting like this is going to take off is kidding themselves. If there was a Netflix-like subscription service that offered a giant library of games I could see it, but this isn't that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I can't spend ~£1000 on a new rig a year before two new console launch. I just can't. I'm an enthusiast with every console and I already have a gaming PC but it's basically a 1080p machine now. If Stadia delivers it's promise then it'll outpace it.

I have good, uncapped Internet already. The cost of Stadia (if you don't buy into the Premier Edition stuff) is basically the cost of buying a game plus £9.99 a month if I want 4k. That's pretty exciting to me.

I'm not gonna pretend that it's gonna be some massive thing and rival the big consoles. But I'm curious enough to dive in.

Oct 25, 2017
So going a little or a lot against the grain here where I do think there's at least a semblance of a potential market for this....with some caveats.

Take something like Football Manager-- the game screams out for processing power yet has specs that will essentially allow it to run on a toaster because the developers have to cater to its userbase. FM19 was still one of the most played titles on Steam and they have an ungodly retention rate. Big caveat here is how modding support is handled due to all the licensing issues. Would also think it's a game that wouldn't benefit tremendously from 4k so you're appealing to the 1080p60 tier. From what I understand, mods are still TBD.

Could also see something like Civ or other 4x-ish titles doing well where you're counting on more sheer processing power than concerns of latency. In both cases though, I would think a) cross-platform everything would need to be a thing and b) these aren't quite experiences that would work on smaller screens.

So could it work on some level? I think so. Is it enough to save the platform? I have my doubts.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see if Stadio will have any momentum in the future but that lineup is an easy pass far me.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I'd maybe consider it for Destiny on the go. Except it's not available in my country and xcloud is coming. A seriously underwhelming lineup

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Casuals aren't going to pay $60 to play Red Dead on their phone or Macbook

Hardcores are willing to buy dedicated devices to play games.

So uh, no one?

I'll bite. Someone like me. I have a pretty nice computer that can easily play all the games. However, I prefer to play on my very large and awesome OLED TV, sitting on my couch, in my livingroom, where it's most comfortable. If I could get a PC like experience in my living room (60FPS/4K) without lugging my monster sized PC around to do so, this service appeals to me. In the end though it all comes down to how closely Stadia can come to promise it's trying to sell.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Could also see something like Civ or other 4x-ish titles doing well where you're counting on more sheer processing power than concerns of latency. In both cases though, I would think a) cross-platform everything would need to be a thing and b) these aren't quite experiences that would work on smaller screens.
Also, for now at least from what I've read, all games are currently required to work with a controller, which is a tough ask for many of the more intensive 4x experiences and even when they manage it's not often the greatest experience. (they can allow both controller *and* kb/m though, but they can't do kb/m but not support a controller)

I'll bite. Someone like me. I have a pretty nice computer that can easily play all the games. However, I prefer to play on my very large and awesome OLED TV, sitting on my couch, in my livingroom, where it's most comfortable. If I could get a PC like experience in my living room (60FPS/4K) without lugging my monster sized PC around to do so, this service appeals to me. In the end though it all comes down to how closely Stadia can come to promise it's trying to sell.
You didn't pick up a Steam Link? That's basically what it was for. Heck, you could put a laptop there (if you have one) and Remote play your monster PC to your laptop. Edit: Steam link might not do 4k now that I think about it

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hear google put the game on there just to show how bad the service is, they didn't even test it to see if it worked before they decided to release it

While I appreciate the snark, I am by no means downplaying the service. I had a very positive experience with Geforce Now on my Shield TV playing LiS2 through streaming, but there were still hiccups and moments of lost connection/dropped frames.

Relaying that to something as reaction critical as Thumper, could be a pretty poor experience if those sorts of problems are still there. I want Google to prove me and everyone else wrong, cloud streaming is very evidently the way we are going with every major company throwing their hat in the ring.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Also, for now at least from what I've read, all games are currently required to work with a controller, which is a tough ask for many of the more intensive 4x experiences and even when they manage it's not often the greatest experience. (they can allow both controller *and* kb/m though, but they can't do kb/m but not support a controller)

You didn't pick up a Steam Link? That's basically what it was for. Heck, you could put a laptop there (if you have one) and Remote play your monster PC to your laptop. Edit: Steam link might not do 4k now that I think about it

I did have steam link and it was awful. The problem is my computer I was streaming from is setup wireless. So even if I plugged the steam link in hardwired there were a ton of latency issues. Plus it was just clunky in general to get everything working right. I'd have to run back and forth from my computer to my tv room to get things working.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
User Warned: Accusing another member of shilling
I don't want a big loud box taking up space and making noise while I play

I like playing in 4k 60 fps but not enough to spend 1,000$+ on it

I'm tired of downloading games and patches and managing hard drive space

Do you work for Google/Stadia? Those really look like PR talk points.

Edit on warning: Asking is not accusing.

Last edited:

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
I did have steam link and it was awful. The problem is my computer I was streaming from is setup wireless. So even if I plugged the steam link in hardwired there were a ton of latency issues. Plus it was just clunky in general to get everything working right. I'd have to run back and forth from my computer to my tv room to get things working.
Fair enough, shame it didn't work out.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They were demoing Doom Eternal (which was delayed), not 2016.
They've demo'd both; but yeah Doom Eternal is probably why Doom 2016 wasn't planned for the service. They thought it would be a launch title so they didn't want to bring over the old game. Or they just don't want old games on the service.

Thing about Stadia is; it costs Google essentially the same amount of money for you to play a $60 brand new AAA game as it does for you to play an older game they can't sell you for full price.

So I wouldn't expect too many discounted older games on the service until google can prove the service profitable in general. Cheap ways to play on Stadia would be.. expensive for google.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They've demo'd both; but yeah Doom Eternal is probably why Doom 2016 wasn't planned for the service. They thought it would be a launch title so they didn't want to bring over the old game. Or they just don't want old games on the service.

Thing about Stadia is; it costs Google essentially the same amount of money for you to play a $60 brand new AAA game as it does for you to play an older game they can't sell you for full price.

So I wouldn't expect too many discounted older games on the service until google can prove the service profitable in general. Cheap ways to play on Stadia would be.. expensive for google.
Yeah, they dont want old games on the service, or games that are quite similar to each other which is why they are bringing 3 Tomb Raider games to the service at launch, 25% of the launch lineup. Or a 2016 rhythm indie game.